So, who else is still alive?

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

So, who else is still alive?

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 pm

I was just thinking. Just a handful of the people who used to be around here have actually returned, and most other lufia forums are a thing of the past. Anyone know of one that is still open, or somewhere where people of old still hang around?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: So, who else is still alive?

Postby SinReVi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Lufia.net and its forum went down without warning, and it has been saying "Coming Soon" for over a year now :?
by the way HI GUARD DAOS!
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:49 am

Yeah, I know...

HI SinReVi! Been a while since I called you that.

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello to you both! *waves*

It would be wonderful to hear from everyone again. I often wonder what many of the "old timers" of the board (e.g. DBAM, Naminé, and many others) are up to these days. Navigating real life I suppose. :-)

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Exactly! And now that MSN is no longer a thing, how're we ever going to contact them again?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 pm

I actually ran into DBAM on Twitter, though we don't really talk to each other.

(He tweeted something about Lufia TLR when it was announced for VC last year, so I found him since I have "Lufia" as a saved search =P )

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Oh, that's pretty cool! He ought to know we're back.

Meller
Red Jelly

Postby Meller » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey Guys,

I have some information on Lufia.net

Back in 2004, Cobes (the operator of Lufia.net) claimed he didn't have the funds to host the site anymore and was going to let everything expire. My friend Jim (nickname Arus on the Lufia.net forums) and I stepped in and hosted the site and the forums and paid for the domain.

In 2008 Cobes contacted me because he wanted to get the site back. Since the site was never "mine" I gladly gave it back.

At some point in 2012 or 2013 Cobes just let the site go dead without warning and also let the registration of the domain lapse. At the end of 2014 the domain went up for bids and I was able to save the domain from becoming one of those terrible spammy placeholder pages. Once I acquired the domain I setup the coming soon site with the hopes of contacting cobes and getting a recent forum backup and all of the original HTML files and assets.

It looks like Cobes isn't responding to my request but I was recently able to locate the last backup I made of the forums before handing the site back over in 2008.

To me, preservation of older internet communities is really important. It's where a lot of people spent their formative years socially interacting over things they were passionate about. Some of the content/discussions is still interesting for fans and at least worth keeping for posterity and nostalgia.

With that said, I have the following plan:

1. Restore the site using archive.org backups to it's former framed glory as best as I can
2. Bring back the forums using my backup from 2008.

Hope that clears things up. I'll post again once things are back up and running, no timeframe at this point.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:20 am

Glad to know what happened to Lufia.net.
Hmm... I think last time I spoke Cobes was years ago when MSN was still around.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:43 am

That's great! I would love it if lufia.net returned as well! Can't wait to hear more. Good job! :)

Superdreuzel
Knight

Postby Superdreuzel » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 am

I seem to still be alive, as well. How is everyone?
Image]

Overlordz
Red Jelly

Postby Overlordz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 am

I still check here every year or 3. I've only made a couple posts. Damn, its been 9 years since I went back and finally beat the ancient cave for real (killing the Jelly).

When the Powerball was at its record high last week, one of my thoughts of what I'd do with 1.5 billion: buy the rights to Lufia and do something cool with it.

Do you guys recommend the GBC and GBA Lufia games? I still haven't played either after all this time. For all my console games I prefer playing on real hardware over an emulator though with a GBC it might just be too painful using the real console. I do have the GBC game I just have no idea where any of my GameBoys are. Fortress of Doom and Rise of the Sinistrals are two of my favorite games and I doubt the GB games can live up to them so I'm sort of afraid the other games are going to take the series down a notch in my mind. Everyone says Fortress of Doom is not a great game but it was the first turn-based RPG I ever played as a kid so I have a fond spot for it, though I can see how the mechanics and combat are fairly uninspired. On the other hand, RotS is unarguably a classic in my mind and it seems to be generally regarded as such.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 am

Heh, welcome back then and see you in three years! My views on the Fortress of Doom are the same as yours. Looking back, the gameplay is rather uninteresting to me now. But when I first played it, I was amazed. Mostly thanks to the story.
I'd say The Legend Returns is definitely worth checking out. It's available on eShop for the 3DS, so maybe you have one of those? If not, I'd say go and find that GBC of yours and pop your game in! It's a shame to keep a Lufia game lying around without playing it. ;)

legsrjust4show
Red Jelly

Postby legsrjust4show » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:18 am

I was just telling my friends about Lufia an hour ago and googled to see if this website was still going and was just shocked to see it still standing bravely against all odds while proudly displaying a poll from the now dead GameSpy site asking if anyone would care for a GBA port for the Lufia games.

It's a bit sad to see a community like this dwindle down to it's last legs though, I was never really part of it, but back forever ago I used to check up regularly here because I was super into Lufia 2 for awhile (and I never did finish it I should change that soon).

I have like a personal Twitter and Tumblr account if you wanna follow me there. I was just gonna sign into here and post a goofy meme but kinda got into this huge nostalgia rush over when I used to use forums and decided to read a bunch of threads from way back in the day on here. It was really interesting and was like opening a time capsule really.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/legsrjust4show
Tumblr: http://legs-are-just-for-show.tumblr.com/

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:34 pm

Welcome to Lufia World!
This forum was down from December 2012 until August 2015.

Superdreuzel wrote:I seem to still be alive, as well. How is everyone?

Hiya! Long time no see =P

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”