And somehow, I come back alive and well.

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

And somehow, I come back alive and well.

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:51 pm

Yeah, I posted this in my LJ and I'm known to swear in there. I've censored all the bad words here, though.

Holy ****...

I'll bet after reading this you'll cherish the value of a second. Last night, if we were only seconds later, I could have lost my life...

Anyways, it was just the routine trip to my step-grandparents, just on a Saturday Night instead of a sunday, for dinner. However, we stayed kinda late that night. Finally, my parents said it was probably a good time to go home.

So I was thinking, yes, now I can go home, veg, play some Megaman Battle Chip Challenge, (I seem to be deep into the MMBN portion of the Megaman series these days) and so on.

But no, it was not to be like that.

It was about 10:15 PM, I believe. We were only five minutes from home now, and we were facing north, in the left turn lane waiting to turn off of Lougheed Hwy onto Dewedny Trunk Road in Coquitlam. (There seem to be a lot of Dewedny Trunk Roads in the Greater Vancouver area...) I was sitting in the back, on the right side in a full car. Anyways, everything seemed okay at the time. So, the light turned red for Dewedny, and we got the left turn signal. As we started to turn, though, I noticed red and blue lights in the distance. I thought, "Okay, they've probably just got someone off to the side, right?"

WRONG

I didn't catch this, but later my stepmother recalled my father yelling, "Oh, ****!" as he suddenly accellerated out of the intersection. Thank God he did, because just as that happened...

...a speeding black coupe, obviously being chased by the cops farther back, claimed to be travelling at least 100 km/h (60 mph), ran the red light on Lougheed going southbound.

Now, the first thing that came to mind, is that I was sitting on the RIGHT side. If we were only a second later, that car would've hit us... right where I was sitting. The impact would've been enough to kill me, and maybe everyone else sitting in the back, which included my sister and her bf. That is why I say I am lucky to be typing this today.

Anyways... my life is pretty much out of danger, now, but that's not all. There was pretty much a lineup behind us. As the speeding coupe left my sight...

*BANG!*

The coupe drove into the front of what seemed to be a Ford Windstar. The impact was so hard that it tore the nose off of the van, and wrecked the front of the coupe. The sound of the van getting sideswiped was so big that I thought there was an explosion behind us. I averted my eyes to the left of the vehicle, and all I could see was the wrecked coupe sliding sideways and onto the southwest corner of the intersection before coming to a stop.

My first thought was, "Holy ****... somebody's dead."

My father immediately got the car turned around and parked. My stepmother started asking for a cell phone to call the ERC (Emergency Response Center) with. My father was busy driving and was too panicked to find his, so, even in my someone traumatic state of mind, I quickly whipped out my cell phone, and dialed a number I thought I would never have to call... "9-1-1", pressed SEND, and handed it to my stepmother.

(Later, I was astonished by all the emergency vehicles my cell phone had summoned... lol)

As the car came to a stop, I remember shaking, and breathing heavily, knowing that someone probably died in that horrifying crash and that if the situation was different, I could've been the one dead. Of course, this being a 19 year old Autistic's brain, the thought has a result of a lot worse.

There was already enough cops there, as the coupe, now laying with its hood in a mangled mess on the grass, was being chased. My first thought was that it was a stolen vehicle, but knowing that the driver of the couple didn't even attempt to stop, the driver was probalby high on something, whether or not it was his car or not. All we had to wait for were the emergency response. Soon enough, you could here the fire trucks coming, then the ambulances. The firefighters got to work trying to get the driver of the coupe out, and the ambulance did their obvious work. My father was able to help the occupants of the van, having his first aid, which had a family in it as well. The driver was slightly injured by the airbag impact, and the three passengers (his wife and two daughters) were experiencing some abdominal pain for a while. Nothing serious, though.

I saw them carrying the driver of the coupe on a stretcher. Given the fact that his head wasn't covered, he was probably still alive, and that I was kinda thankful for. It seems that nobody died on this night, but it looks like if I want to know, I'll have to wait for the local paper on Wednesday...

Then there were the cops, asking for our account of the accident, and all that, but that's just routine. Even if it was just a simple one, that would've still happened.

And so, that was my latest brush with death, and it could've been a lot worse for me if it wasn't for that second...

I had trouble getting to sleep last night. I was up until around 2:30 just thinking about how I would tell this story. Even then, I was so shaken up that I kept the light on as I slept.

God was watching over everyone that night. He kept us out of harm's way, and he made sure everyone involved had survived (I think) last night. It was nobody's time to go.

I cherish the value of a second. Do you?

Oh, and happy Easter. Now I'll go celebrate the resurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ.

Nevfangiel
Soldier

Postby Nevfangiel » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:51 pm

Dang, DBAM. You have one hell of a good guardian angel.

*Thinks back to her brush with death* *Shudders*

I'm glad you and everyone else are all fine. I feel like saying everything happens for a reason, but I might sound like a hypocrite since I really don't like that saying much. Still... It's something to think about, ne? (I can suck at things like this, so this is as good as I'm going to get at the moment O_o;;)

Happy Easter. ^___^

Chaos_Chao
Soldier

Postby Chaos_Chao » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:10 pm

Wow. Now hat's proof that God exists. What more do you need? Happy Easter and if you see Nuva Shahn online, say happy birthday to him. He's my big bro.
:I

[PYGO]element
Villager

Postby [PYGO]element » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:57 pm

i have had a brush with death sort of, but i will tell mine anyways i walked into a convenient store and as i walked in i was told to get down on the ground and lie down by someone who was robbing the place, but being the jackass i am i took off out the door. that may not be a "brush with death" but it was really scary.

Phil
Forum Moderator

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:36 am

I am so pleased that you are alright DBAM. I read the whole thing and it pretty scared me. I would hate to be in your place now but I am so pleased you are Ok because you are a good friend to me and chris! Thank you god and thanks for Jesus being reborn on Easter Day! He was reborn to save you! It could be true....thank you so much that DBAM is ok..
Phil

=> Drummer
=> RS Lvl 100
=> Hardcore Gamer

Imperial Dragon
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Imperial Dragon » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:57 pm

Wow... Just read this, and you are pretty lucky... Glad that no one was killed either. This story helps me cherish the value of a second even more... Glad you're still here, DBAM.
Follow your dreams, you never know where they'll lead you.

Being defeated is only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanant.

L'amour est une belle chose. "Love is a beautiful thing."

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:03 pm

Well, to tell you the truth, it wasn't as well as I thought. I checked the story on canada.com last night, and it appears the driver of the coupe died. That's what you get for being a dink...

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:21 pm

Damn. You are really luck, DBAM.

lufiamanaelf
Arek's Apprentice

Postby lufiamanaelf » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:40 pm

Woa....thank the lord, and do you think maybe there was a reason you were saved the night before Easter? Also, not NEARLY as important as your life, the forum would go compleatly out of hand. I mean, we NEED a forum nazi! Lol.

Phil
Forum Moderator

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:14 pm

I am so pleased...that must of been really frightening
Phil

=> Drummer

=> RS Lvl 100

=> Hardcore Gamer

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:28 pm

It was, too. I was shaking for like two hours afterwards. You guys probably read about all of that, though.

I actually found the full story yesterday on canada.com (under Vancouver -> The Province). The guy in the coupe died, but at least it was only the guy that is responsible for the whole thing.

Still... it's going to be hard not to look at that again.

Phil
Forum Moderator

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:34 pm

It'll be in your mind for ages, butjust think how lucky you are - phew....that was one big fright....even for me!
Phil

=> Drummer

=> RS Lvl 100

=> Hardcore Gamer

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:46 pm

I'm really glad you're OK Adam. What a terrible thing to have to go through. Did you find out what the driver was being chased for?

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:07 pm

Yeah, he stole the car that he wrecked. I picked that one right out of the book. EVERY crash like this is the result of a stolen car or a street race around here. The crook died in hospital, but at least it was only his life lost.

And not only that, four hours later, a street racing crash occured one intersection north of where that one happened, and the driver of that car died too.

...wtf...

lufiamanaelf
Arek's Apprentice

Postby lufiamanaelf » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:44 pm

Once again, your guardian angel was working overtime.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”