Cut Off

Online roleplaying takes place in this board. No out-of-character posts are allowed here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Re: Cut Off

Postby Shade-Duelist » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Adeline watched intently as Jake cast the spell, grinning - though her grin quickly got wiped off her face as she felt the energy gather. She was not even in the slightest bit adept at using magic, but she could still feel it gather around Jake, probably also pooling together inside of Jake, swirling like a storm... The luminescent circle beneath Jake's feet and the triangle filled with symbols beneath the moving, glaring fungi both seemed to pulse like a heartbeat before Jake thrust his hand forward and light burst from the triangle in a bright, blinding flash that still hurt Adeline's eyes even when she closed them. Blinking rapidly, she found that the light had... blown apart the fungi. Not even the least spore hung in the air anymore. She was... 'shocked' was too light a term.

'I... can't believe magic like that exists, let alone that Jake could use something so... so powerful! It's incredible! It's...'
"It's freaking wonderful...", she admitted in an awed tone, grinning at Jake when he mentioned that they'd become invincible. However, he then doubled over, as if he'd been hit in the stomach by an invisible enemy, and she made to move to his side and ask what was wrong before he righted himself again and sighed, stating that that had drained his magic power in one go. "...Well, it was nice while it lasted... maybe later, we can refresh that big now-empty magic-head of yours with some magic potion." She watched him opening the chests and handing a knife over to her from one of them, taking a staff for himself from another. She looked over the knife, seeing its serrated edge and rough handle for extra grip even if things got slippery, and nodded. It'd serve her nicely, even though she preferred axes and bigger weapons.

Jake's suggestion about dividing the other treasures had Adeline chuckling.
"Well, what do you say to this idea? You're good with staves, maces, rods, and robes and whatnot. All those magic-user types of equipment. I'm more of a fighter, so I need me my heavy armors and axes and big showy swords and spears and whatever you can think of in the hands of loveable ol' me. Why don't we split up the treasures like that, apart from the Iris treasures, and the items we both can use... heh, finders keepers sounds just fine by me for those..." Grinning, she watched Jake motion towards a staircase heading downward, but she shook her head softly. "We should check out if there's anything we missed here, first! Once we go down a floor, we can't go up again, so we only use those stairs if we're absolutely sure we haven't missed anything!" She walked carefully up to the steps and then peered around the corner, finding that there was another room beyond it where she saw some giant moths hanging around a torch on the wall and, what was more important, a treasure chest. Walking around the moths with a wide berth, she opened the treasure chest to find... a tight skirt. She held it up for Jake to see and spoke in highly offended tones. "The hell? Who would even wear this kind of thing in here?! ...Mind if I toss this to Foomy?", she asked, eyeing the piece of cloth with clear distaste.
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:28 pm

"Oh... right." A little disappointed, Jake turned around and followed her. He laughed as she held up a tight pink skirt with frills. "Why not try it on? It might look good on you!"
She glared, and shook her head. "Mind if I toss this to Foomy?"
"Yeah, sure... Wait, who?"
He looked in amazement as she procured a spherical capsule, half white, half red. It glowed, and a beam of light emerged and formed a cloud of light, which dimmed to become a fluffy ball of white foam with black curious eyes.
Jake's mouth dropped open as Adeline offered the creature the skirt and a mouth appeared from within the foam, which opened and devoured the clothing.
He knelt down at the creature, which jumped with apparent happiness after it was done. "....What is this creature, and how long have you been carrying it with you?"
He looked in its eyes. It edged closer, slowly. He smiled. "This is the most adorable thing I've ever seen in my life!" He picked it up, and placed it on his shoulder. "Can we keep it? I'm keeping it! It likes me!"

After ascertaining the floor was clear, they descended the stairs. They arrived at a new floor, now with a dark grey tiled floor. As Jake looked over his shoulder, he saw no trace of the stairs: the ceiling was closed off. "Wow," Jake remarked. "We're getting more and more cut off from the world with every step." They went through a pair of doors and reached... treasure. A whole room of chests. They stood still for a moment, looking around. Then they faced each other. "FINDERS KEEPERS!" they yelled, and started looting the room, Adeline taking a left and Jake going around the right. As Jake dashed off, Foomy dropped off his shoulder and fell softly on its fluffy head. It looked around curiously, and started nibbling on the remains of a dead bat. As Jake passed around the corner with a Kukri, a hand axe, a few scrolls and a few bottles under his arm, he suddenly saw something which made him drop everything. Before him was a light blue pair of doors with golden handles. He gasped, remembering the man's explanation: light blue and gold colours indicate treasures that can be taken out of the Cave. Turning around, he made sure Adeline wasn't near. He opened the doors, entered the room, and closed them behind him.

The room was dimly lit by two torches, illuminating a statue of a man in a regal pose, holding a spear behind him and a sword in front of him. Before his sandalled feet stood a pedestal with a book on it. Jake blew the dust off the book. Flicking through the pages, he saw the book described a legend of a hero who stopped an army of golden and silver beings. The sea itself rose to his aid, and the thunder descended upon his enemies. He looked up at the statue, and noticed the weapons were not part of the statue, but actual weapons! He removed them from the statue's hands. As he did so, he saw the helmet was an actual helmet as well. He climbed up the statue's hands, lifting himself up from the shoulders. He lifted the helmet off the figure's head. Jumping down, he looked at his loot. The sword, described in the book as the Sky Sword, had a pearly white blade. The dark silver hilt had a silver line spiralling down. The guard consisted of two silver wings, joined in the middle by a ring of thunderbolts. About to examine the other two items, he suddenly remembered a passage from the book he had wanted to examine in particular. He opened the book to the appropriate page, and realized it was a chapter full of water-elemental spells. He actually shouted out with joy. This chamber was designed for me!
Realizing he may have attracted his companion's attention, he put the helm on his head, took his weapons in one hand, and the book in his other. He emerged from the room. As Adeline approached, he set down the book and waited for her in the same pose as the statue. "How'd you like me now!"

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:14 pm

As Jake looked at Foomy in surprise, Adeline knelt down with a soft grin. "Hey, buddy, want a bite?" The foamy form opened up, and she handed it the tight frilly skirt, watching the foam surround it and dissolve it before Foomy bounded up and down a few times, and she then turned to Jake again just in time to see her companion kneel down as well, looking at Foomy intently before exclaiming that he'd never seen anything as adorable like it. As he picked it up, Adeline nearly laughed softly, but she held herself back, seeing as Foomy settled on Jake's shoulder happily.
"Heh, sure we can keep it - Foomy is the guardian of the Southern lands near Tanbel. The Alunze kingdom and the like. They've got a forest full of 'em there. And Foomy isn't the only capsule monster we have, I think... Heh, it shows that you're from a ways away, Jake, man - around here every decent warrior knows about the Capsule Monsters! Though most of us have only seen Foomy or the Clamento Lava-caves' armored dogs they call 'Blaze'. ...Hey, here, you keep Foomy's capsule in case we get separated. And, uh..." She looked over the capsules. Foomy's red-and-white one was familiar, and she knew the orange-and-red one that was Blaze's as well, but the blue-and-white one, the black-and-gold one and the white-and-silver ones were completely alien to her. "...Uh, you take these two as well, I'll keep the other four."

Now that the entire floor was cleared, they descended the stairs, which disappeared after them - Jake looked back in surprise, but Adeline only looked ahead, motioning for the doors. Jake followed as she led the way through, and were instantly confronted by a room filled to the brim with treasure chests. Grinning, Adeline instantly remembered what they'd agreed to. "FINDERS KEEPERS!", she yelled just when he did so, and she turned left, looting the three treasure chests that stood there, getting a Regain, a Potion and a scroll with gleaming green letters that made no sense to her, the only word she could see that made sense to her being 'Rally'. Feeling slightly disappointed, she turned around... only to find Jake had disappeared from view, the only thing still indicating his presence being a few items laying on the floor - one of them, she saw with a flash of utter glee, was a hand axe that she picked up and swung to test how it handled. Still, looking around, she wondered where Jake had gone off to. Foomy was still there, meaning her friend hadn't gotten into battle - as Jake held his capsule, Foomy would be instantly transported to his side if he happened upon an enemy. Shrugging, Adeline turned to the set of doors she'd passed and was instantly perked up. A room filled to the brim with spiders, living mushrooms, a bat or two and some shrubs growing against a wall. Cracking her knuckles and grinning broadly, she set to her task: a few axe-swings and chops later saw the room cleared and the last spider end its twitching as she squished its remains with her boot, reveling in the sickening crunch that resulted in. She felt energized, ready for everything the dungeon could throw at her next - and strong, stronger than before, too.
Behind her, she heard a soft squeal behind her and she found a being made up of vines and fungal mass stand there, looking at her through soft golden eyes. For a second, she thought of the living mushrooms, but then she remembered the capsules she'd handled before and she grinned. "Hehe, hey buddy... uh, you need a name, I don't know what you are... Hah, why don't I call you Camu? Heheh... do you like that name?", she asked, and the creature squealed again. "...Well, sure you do! Okay, let's check what we can find... maybe there's treasure underneath that shrub over there. Pick up your sword and shield today, pick up your axe and swing it right, cut all the enemies away, holler and join the fight!", she sang softly as she stalked over to the shrub, swinging her hand-axe into its thin base and cutting it clean away, getting rewarded by the gleam of gold and bright red enamel - but not, as she'd expected, of a treasure chest, but of an elaborate floor-tile. As she tentatively touched a foot to it, she felt energy soothe her aches and heal her cuts, prompting her to grin. "Oh, Jake needs to see this...", she mused, walking back into the first room she'd entered, taking a deep breath intending to call out to her friend only for him to stand there in front of a blank wall, prompting her to walk over to him. He'd clearly looted well as well: he held a beautiful sword clumsily in one hand and a book at his side, striking a pose as soon as he saw her approaching, asking how she liked him now.
"Heh, show-off... but if you want an honest opinion, you're holding the sword wrong, Jake. Your grip's all wrong. ...You probably can't use it anyway...", she said, shaking her head, motioning for him to hand her the sword. "We agreed to keep what we can use and to let the other have what they can use, so fork it over - besides, I have something you'll just love! Ever heard of the Rally spell?", she said, holding out the scroll for him.
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 pm

(OOC: Yay! You're back! Out of curiosity, how far down are you? I kinda couldn't help myself and got to the 30th floor already. How about you?)

Jake protested, "Hell no! I'll learn to use this sword, you'll see! I'm just not used to dual wielding!"
He looked at the weapons in his hands. "Hm, I'll admit though, this book tells an awesome story, but it doesn't really explain how this guy managed to use a spear and a sword at the same time."
He offered her the hilt of the sword. "All right, tell you what. You use the Sky Sword for now. But when we get out of here, I want it back! It's the most awesome blade I've ever seen. It's got a legendary beast of lightning inside it, apparently."
As she reached for the hilt, he pulled it back. "Remember. I'm just lending it to you. It's mine."
He handed over the sword and took the scroll. "This is good. We'll need healing magic down here."
He picked up the book and put it in his bag. He whistled, and Foomy rushed after him and jumped on his back, climbing back up to his shoulder. As they set off, he examined the spear. Its neck was composed of a ring of the same spikes as the helmet he was wearing: silver, with a bluish glow at the end. Droplets of water were trickling steadily down from the silver spearpoint, flowing over his fingers down to the lower end, where they seemed to re-enter the spear: no drops fell to the floor. The shaft itself was black, with patches of dark blue, making it hard to make out the drops, which felt warm on his hand and smelt salty.

They descended to the third floor, and tested out their new weapons. Although Jake had never fought with a spear before, this one was clearly more of a magic item than an actual spear. He thrust it at the giant frog as he would with a sword, and it seemed as though the weapon corrected his stance immediately, guiding his left hand to the right position so the spearpoint was driven straight through the monster's heart. The point spouted out water at high pressure when it was in, ripping the frog to shreds. He slashed at a second frog, and the spear sliced across its head as if through butter, blowing it apart with a jet of water. Jake relaxed, looking at the result of their slaughter. "Wow. Brutal."
He looked up at a number large purple moths flapping about at the ceiling. "You know... spears are usually thrown, aren't they?"
He raised the spear, and attempted to throw it at the biggest moth. His aim was much too low, and completely off altogether. Alerted, the moths flew at the two adventurers. Then suddenly, a jet of water came out from under the speartip, and it flipped into the air, cut right through two moths at once, and landed in Jake's hand. He raised an eyebrow. "Oh come on. I didn't deserve that! I'm starting to think this is going to be way too easy."
He turned around, and saw the remaining two had gathered around Adeline's head and were releasing sweet-smelling pink dust. Intoxicated, she dropped to the ground and fell asleep. Jake looked at this weapon. "I bet if I fell asleep as well, you'd still slaughter the rest on your own, wouldn't you?"
The moths moved to him now. As they moved closer, Foomy leapt from Jake's shoulder, straight at the smallest moth. A small light-blue foamy fist appeared at his side and Jake swore he heard a tiny high-pitched voice shout, "Foomy Punch!"
He landed together with the moth. It was dead. Jake cut through the last one and pet the Capsule Monster's head. "Atta boy. So you can fight as well, huh? You're a clever little creature. Here, have an axe." He watched, fascinated, as his little friend gobbled up the weapon, almost as large as he was. He then looked at Adeline, who was still in dream land. He shrugged, and sat down next to her. A small break might not be that bad, actually.
He procured the book from his pouch. As Foomy sat down in his lap, he started reading.

'The hero vanquished the golems and their golden flying steeds. Defeated, they resolved into mountains of gold and silver. Fearful for the day the greed of the humans would reawaken their spirit, the hero begged the two spirits to dispose of the remains. Thus the Aqua Dragon carried the shining pile far away into a valley. The Beast of Thunder crashed into mountains around it, creating a landslide that buried the gold and silver under layers and layers of earth and stone. To ensure the golems would never return, the hero ordered his people to build a tower on top of the landslide, truly sealing the beings away forever. When the tower was twenty stories high, the Dragon flooded the valley, until only the tip remained above the water. Confident the people were safe, the spirits departed, leaving behind relics that would allow the hero to summon their power if needed.
The tower has stood fast against the test of time, remaining intact even after the Sinistrals ended this cycle.'

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:29 am

An hour he sat there, reading. The book described the hero's journey, the nature of the two elemental beasts that aided him and the structure of the tower. He flipped through the last part, starting to lose interest. He stretched out and stood up, looking at Adeline. "Still sound asleep, are we? You sure like to take your time."
An idea struck him. He knelt down beside her, and picked up the Sky Sword. He walked into the next room, and tried fighting a group of oversized mosquito's with both weapons. He failed; the two were too different to use together efficiently. Sighing, he dropped the Aqua Spear and held the Sky Sword in his right hand instead. He felt energized somehow. He crouched slightly, and jumped at the monster in front of him. He was surprised at his speed: it was as if invisible hands were giving him a push towards his target. With blinding speed, he cut down all the monsters in the room, the blade crackling with electric energy each time it hit its mark.

Shortly, he returned with both weapons after ensuring there were no monsters left on the floor. He looked at the sword. This really was worth it. When I get out of here with these two weapons, I'll find a way to make them usable together. How awesome!
He looked at his sleeping companion. Well, she sure is slowing things down. He threw the Sky Sword down next to her ear, hoping the noise would wake her. It did not.
He sat back down. How much do I need her, anyway? I could just move on without her. Or... He looked at her face. I could take off with her soul and travel down the cave. Wonder what would happen once I left the cave?
Foomy jumped into his lap, and absent-mindedly Jake started stroking its head. Nah... let's not take on the bad guy role for now.

Return to “The Roleplay”