Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Postby Artemis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Any news on the final pictures? Aside from the questions in the previous post:

Is "spell sick" okay? Compared to spellsick or spell-sick.

Is it lockout or lock-out or lock out? As in, the entrance is destroyed, but the lockout doesn't matter, anyway.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 pm

I'd say spellsick, like homesick.
And then lockout, though I'm less sure about that one.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 pm

There's stuff like seasick, but on the other hand there's motion sick. So it's really not easy I guess.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:03 am

Let's forget lockout, I'll go with "blockade" instead. Problem solved!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:11 am

Artemis wrote:Also looking thru it again: It is okay to say "shrine to the north" instead of "shrine in the north", right? (Where north means the shrine's location.)

"I heard you're off to the
small shrine to the north."

This is where my knowledge of the English language gets a little fuzzy. I am unsure if it is technically wrong, but as far as aesthetics... "I heard you're off to the small shrine in the north." Using "in" sounds better in this sentence. I guess what I'm trying to say is I can guarantee that using "in" is grammatically correct. I think using "to" is grammatically correct as well, but I'm not 100% certain. Perhaps... 80%.

Artemis wrote:Or similar:

"There's a suspicious man
in the tower to the south."

And this one sounds best as it is. No changes needed.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:31 am

SinReVi wrote:This is actually the case for most, if not all, instances of picking a "no" option or pressing the B button.

This is something that I have been checking. I posted that one because I thought it was odd that it was only slightly different.

SinReVi wrote:Alternate dialogue off the top of my head:

-Getting Tia without going back to Sundletan in Lake Cave >
man at the entrance of Sundletan thinks Tia is Maxim's girlfriend instead of telling Maxim that Tia is the one who was looking for him earlier

-Entering the Alunze cave without talking to Hilda and old man at the shrine first>
Some dialogue is worded slightly different and Abel, Tia and Maxim's conversation was also a bit different.
If you bring the key to Hilda without meeting her before, there's different dialogue (Maxim was like Oh the key? I just found it.)

- Entering Ruby Cave before talking to Rochy>
Maxim actually says "yes" instead of "no" when Rochy asks him if he's ever been in the cave

-Meeting Jyad at the mountain when you've never been in Aleyn also triggers a different conversation from the normal one

- All villagers in Narcysus actually have dialogue before Idura's flute event triggers. However this event automatically triggers when you reach the stairs, so most players will never read what the villagers on the east side of Narcysus have to say. You can read the dialogue by taking Jyad's ship back to either Aleyn or Gruberik right after arriving in Narcysus, and then using Warp to enter Narcysus from the actual entrance instead of the port.

I think the only one of these that I knew about was the villagers in Narcysus. Thanks for the info, SinReVi-san! I wish I had known about these when I started my play-through. I will certainly check these on the next one.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 am

Artemis wrote:Any news on the final pictures? Aside from the questions in the previous post:

Hopefully, everything will be posted by tomorrow.

Artemis wrote:Is "spell sick" okay? Compared to spellsick or spell-sick.

Is it lockout or lock-out or lock out? As in, the entrance is destroyed, but the lockout doesn't matter, anyway.

I would say definitely not "spell sick". "Spellsick" or "spell-sick" should both be ok. The same with "lockout" and "lock-out".

http://grammarist.com/usage/lock-out-vs-lockout/

But then, blockade sounds so much better.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:11 am

Sorry for the multiple posts. I'm trying to catch up. lol

This is all I have at the moment. I will post more hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning.

Shouldn't this be, "The eye of the Gold Dragon."? Same goes for the others. (Silver Eye, Copper Eye, Black Eye)

I'm sure this is ok, but it would probably sound better as, "...the boss of the Ancient Cave!"

One again, "the gods." Also, a better way to word that sentence: "For generations we have devoted ourselves to the gods." If you think it needs more impact or sincerity, try: "For generations we have devoted ourselves (entirely/unyieldingly) to the gods." One or the other, obviously not both words. I am overthinking this, aren't I? lol

The first sentence has missing articles (a, an, or the). "They gave us a suit of armor, a shield, and a helmet." Or if you want to be fancy about it, you could try something like: "We were entrusted with three holy armaments."

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 am

Also something about Daos. I didn't like his introduction "'Tis I." because it may be nothing grammatically wrong, but whenever the word Tis was used, it always was in some kind of non-serious/joking context. So I came up with:

"Lo! This's I."

I found out that This's, while for sure not correct in any normal dialogue, can be used in a more quirky dialogue emphasizing the character's speech uniqueness. So what do you think? I also gave Daos a little bit of an unique touch by letting him say That's I instead of That's me later on.

Also: "It's a man thing." Should it be "man's thing" instead?

And one thing about "the" gods. I will not use only one version as it's actually completely unclear and unspecified who and what "the gods" are supposed to be. So I'll let it remain ambiguous and use both variations.

Also in all honesty the world-building and lore creating isn't that well, anyway, as even after four games (not counting the reboot) will still don't know much more and don't have a real grasp of what other gods there are and who are these gods which interacting with the Narvick people back then.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Any chance to post the final pics and answer the questions soon enough so that I can finish the update this weekend?

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 am

Sorry, again. I have to stop trying to predict the future. Chaos abounds. I will finish tonight, though. And I will make my last post before tomorrow evening. I will also respond to your questions then. Right now, I must go. :(

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Another question:

"Is there a Guy, here?" - Is the comma okay?

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Artemis wrote:Also something about Daos. I didn't like his introduction "'Tis I." because it may be nothing grammatically wrong, but whenever the word Tis was used, it always was in some kind of non-serious/joking context. So I came up with:

"Lo! This's I."

I found out that This's, while for sure not correct in any normal dialogue, can be used in a more quirky dialogue emphasizing the character's speech uniqueness. So what do you think? I also gave Daos a little bit of an unique touch by letting him say That's I instead of That's me later on.

Hm... may I strongly vote for keeping it the way it was?
Unless I am much mistaken, the dialogue is:

Maxim: The leader of the Sinistrals...
Daos: 'Tis I.

That makes sense and the archaic way of saying "That's me" gives the impression of an ancient god. Your changes make little sense to me in this context.

Artemis wrote:Also: "It's a man thing." Should it be "man's thing" instead?

Nope, the original. Like one says, "It's a guy thing." Or like South Park says, "It's a Jersey thing."

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:53 pm

My problem with Tis I is that while archaic and correct, it just feels somewhat generic as a lot of others use Tis as well.

And about man thing, dict.cc says:
http://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/M%C3%A4nnersache.html

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Sorry, Artemis-sama, but Guard Daos is spot-on. The changes you're suggesting make little sense and sound a bit odd. I checked the dict.cc link. There is a very tiny difference between these two concepts. "It's a man thing," is more similar to the Männersache translation of "man stuff" than it is "man's thing". So the sentence, "It's man stuff," would work. Although the original sentence sounds better. Does this explanation suffice?

Also, if you're set on changing "'Tis I...", might I suggest "It is I..."? "This's I" makes me cringe.

Artemis wrote:"Is there a Guy, here?" - Is the comma okay?

The comma doesn't belong in that sentence. With commas, if there is ever a doubt, chances are it doesn't belong. Take it from one who often overuses commas. lol

Finally, here are the last reports for Lufia II.

"Take Lisa first atop the South Tower." Or even better, "First, take Lisa atop the South Tower." Although, using "to the top of" instead of "atop" sounds more natural. But "to atop" is bad grammar.

I don't know why "Island" is always abbreviated "Isl." It's only four characters, so why not "Isle"? Isle is an actual abbreviation for island. It would look so much better that way.

"dangerous-looking" should be hyphenated.

This is very much a nit-pick, but I think it would look better as, "To be continued in... Lufia & The Fortress of Doom"

This concludes my report, Artemis-sama. ::bows:: Sorry it took so long.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”