Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:35 pm

About Daos, I'm looking for something to make him look less generic. Whereas Tis I isn't generic in theory, it's however generic looking at the context as everyone and his mother uses Tis in the game. It is I also sounds generic.

I'm looking for something which actually sounds special and unique. (But not little hoochies level ridiculous.) Maybe something high-toned from stuff like Shakespeare...

Otherwise how about:
Lo! E'en myself!
Lo! E'en yea!
Lo! E'en egad!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Hmm... how about something like, "Behold! And bear witness to the God of Terror!"

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Too long. How about one of the three versions? What do you think of them?

I'm looking for some kind of uniqueness regarding his speech-style in his introduction.

Oh yes, and it has to be somewhat short - as there's not that much space available for it.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Your examples sound... odd. Perhaps even silly. In my opinion, it would be best left alone.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 pm

See it as replacement for removing the hoochies. Would you say these examples are grammatically correct, though?

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 am

Let us conduct a closer examination, then.

"Lo! E'en myself!" ---> "Look! Even myself!" ---> Grammatically correct.
"Lo! E'en yea!" ---> "Look! Even yes!" ---> Grammatically correct.
"Lo! E'en egad!" ---> "Look! Even ah!!" ---> Grammatically correct.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Okay, I'll go with Lo! 'Tis I.

Another question, what shall I do with:

"My dad's a sailor. He went
to look for my mom and
hasn't come back yet. I
wonder how far he went?"

It's from the boy Iyan from Narcysus - BEFORE the flute plays.

It seems to imply that his father (Kreg?) went ahead to go for the women, however he is still in the village even after the flute. So this dialogue doesn't fit neither to before nor after the flute.

Maybe change it to:

"My dad's a sailor. He often
went away, but my mom's
OK with it. I wonder what'd
he think in her stead.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:37 am

Seems ok. Though the tense isn't quite right. Also... something else isn't right. That kid couldn't be talking about the future event of the ladies leaving the town, Pied Piper style. If you recall, Selan is unaffected. The party reasons that the flute only works on "young, single women". I'm pretty sure that kid's mother would be unaffected. I think what they mean by "young, single women" is "virgin maidens". Which would mean the boy's mother definitely shouldn't be affected. So it seems this kid is talking about something completely unrelated to the flute sound. Therefore, it doesn't need to be changed. Though, if you must:

"My dad's a sailor. He often
goes away, but my mom's
OK with it. I wonder what
he'd think in her stead."

Grammar corrected.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:02 pm

When I looked over the text the last time, I also came to the conclusion that it's unrelated. However, this time when looking closer to it, the text just seems to fit too good for just being a completely unrelated incident.

So we have another incident where a man is chasing for a woman? Which never gets addressed in any way later on? Seems too much of a coincidence.

My guess is the boy is the child of Kreg and Marsa and this dialogue would have made perfect sense if
- Kreg actually left the town right after the flute
- the dialogue is said after the flute - together with his regular dialogue (where he says that Lulu's gone, too)

That is, it would make perfect sense if either the rules who gets affected were better thought-out or there's a hint (even if it's slight) that there's some more behind it. Like, the real mother died at birth, or something like that. Or the real mother was a bitch who coldheartedly abandon her child - who then can be encountered in another town.

Nevertheless, I'll change it to the other version because it definitely makes sense considering it's ambiguous enough so that he either could be Kreg and Marsa's child (with some creative wrap around to explain the logical problems) or he speaking of someone else unrelated to kreg and marsa.

Actually a lot of NPC storys just make no sense unless you adfd something in your head-canon. Like how the Apple Ruby ended in the Ruby Cave.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:02 am

Any idea what was said in the original Japanese text? Seems like this game could possibly use a complete retranslation from scratch, someday. But then... this is a game... not, like, the Bible or something. lol

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't know what's said there in Japanese. However, actually I'd say not only the transalation, but the whole overall storytelling would need an overhaul. There's just too much wrong like no good story structure or the lack of proper character arcs. And as well as lack of thematic resonance.

kwhazit did translate the game up to the Lighthouse, and from what I've seen stuff like the Jaffy dialogue doesn't make sense in Japanese as well, for example. I sometimes asked him for more crucial dialogue passages, but in such minor cases I improvise instead. As you said, not the bible.

Actually I asked him one more thing, so depending on his answer there might come an update somewhen soon.

@vivi: The CM feeding lists are now at the very bottom of the ROM, otherwise no changes.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:41 pm

So, there still the issue with the raging wave sound bug... Any more news and conclusions about this?

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Didn't we conclude it was an emulation issue? Were you able to replicate it?

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 pm

No, I don't know what's the deal with it. Did you manage to recreate it? Maybe depending on what emulator you use.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”