Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia-Patches Version 2.9 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Pue

Postby vivify93 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I totally forgot about my promise to do this. Whoops.

Uh, how did you want me to do this? Like, are you releasing it as one big patch collection or several smaller patches?
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:31 am

I guess the only interesting patches are the four main patches Frue, Spekkio and the both Kureji ones.
The smaller patches aren't necessary I think.
They have to be uploaded separate, haven't they?

Could you do a description just for Frue Lufia then?

For the other three patches I might add to rest then about the battle stuff.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 am

Sure thing, I'll do a description for Frue Lufia only then. I'll start tomorrow.

EDIT: the fixes could be added as a Bugfix Compilation; so could the new bosses like Danger Nose and etc. as a Neo-Boss Compilation. both languages could be included in it. then Frue, Spekkio and Kureji could all be separate since they're the "big projects". What do you think?
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Frue Lufia is a patch that instantly betters your Lufia II experience. First of all, every one of the major bugs has been squashed. No longer is the Sea Ring ineffective. The missing descriptions for items and spells have been restored. The Dual Blade Shrine and the 99th floor of the Ancient Cave aren't a garbled mess. Jessy no longer peeps at Tia and Dekar after Gades.

In addition to this, the dialogue and grammar have been extensively worked on - not a single line has without careful thinking of context, placement and consistency with the series. From the tiniest punctuation to full solilquies, the text has been restrung together in uniformly and coherently. Don't be mistaken, however, as the script is still quite close to home as the Lufia II we all know and love.

Frue Lufia must be applied to a North American ROM, so make sure you check yours before applying!

How's that?

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:02 am

That gives me some inspiration, thanks. I guess the description should contain some more of the changes. I will go through the list and add them somewhen the next days I think.

MadMax
Red Jelly

Postby MadMax » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 am

I was thrilled to find Kureji_Lufia a few weeks ago. Lufia 2 has always been one of my favourite game, but (as we all know) the difficulty of the game really left something to be desired. I tried by myself to make the original game harder many times before (Not spending a single gold, skipping every combat I could, stuff like that) but in the end, the Sinistrals still fell easily. So I started playing it with high hopes, and boy was I not disappointed!
It is really hard, not only the fights but preparing for it as well. I easily spend as much time tinkering with the right combination on gear to put on each character than doing the actual bosses themselves, up to and including the Egg Dragon... that I finally took down a few hours ago!

I can't tell you how long it took me to kill it, it took so much time that I had to do it over the course of several days. And simply preparing for the successful fight almost took me a week; testing the right gear, the right attacks, optimizing everything, buying 99 miracles...

Which made me wonder, is there diferent way to attack this fight or do you absolutely have to have the perfect setup? Because no matter how look at this fight, I really don't see how I could change anything to my team and still be able to kill it. I'd be very curious to know the gear you used for your kill!

Here's the final setup I used:

Guy (Fire+Anti-Sea) - Dragon Blade / Mirac Plate / Fury Bracer / Warding Helm / Sea Ring / Gloom Jewel (For the MGR)
Maxim - Sky Sword (For the DFP) / Divine Armor / Flame Shield / Divine Helm / S-Mysto Ring / Gold Eye
Selan (Fire+Light) - Phoenix Cane / Seetrough Cape / Dark Mirror / Indra Turban / Undead Ring / Orochi Jewel
Artea - Dragonslayer / God Robe / Dark Mirror / Radient Helm / S-Mysto Ring / Light Jewel

28 Miracle left!
Once I get back to 99, it's off to Doom Island!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Are you playing the difficult or fruely hardcore version? I guess difficult so that you could also buy some stuff like power sources. And which version number do you have?

My setup is very similar, but with a few differences. First of all, how many HP do the party members have? Because this might change the in my opinion best setup as well.

Instead of Dragon Blade I used the cursed Killer Sword. It's weaker, but it does critical twice as much as the Dragon Blade.
Also one or two Zirco Gloves can't be wrong because of Force Field.

MadMax
Red Jelly

Postby MadMax » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm playing difficult for now, anyone who starts with hardcore must probably be insane :p
I have v2-9-7 according to my patch folder, hopefully that's the latest one. I took the time to get everyone's HP (And every other stats) to 999, the extra HP/DFP was really needed considering the amount of time I spent close to death and re-casting courage and Fake.
I guess the Zirco Gloves could've been a better choice for Sellan since she already have In.Death protection with Undead Ring. Were you able to equip one to Artea as well? I can't find another way to protect him from In.Death without a dark mirror.
I never would've thought of using a Killer Sword, I did notice the crit was higher but it isn't listed as a fire weapon anywhere, unless you sneaked those changes into the patch (To be fair, neither is the Dragon Blade, but it's the first weapon I tried, to see if the IP would work) and once I saw its normal swing did some dmg, I never really tried anything else.

I also got the Master Jelly while I was passing trough Gruberik with Dekard, no match for 3 multisword and 2 trick ring :) How's he different in the hardcore version?

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:59 pm

What's the exact number the patch itself is called? The latest version is 3-9-7-12.

For Artea the God Robe also has instant death protection, so the Dark Mirror isn't necessary.

About the Sea Ring, it now adds fire+Anti-Sea. Therefore both neutral and fire weapons can actually inflict damage.

And the hardcore Master inflicts some ailments, removes MP in round 1, too, and in the newest version is even strong against neutral attacks.

About your HP for the Egg Dragon, did you have exactly 999 or a little bit more? And did you use save states - aside from quick saving to make a break?

MadMax
Red Jelly

Postby MadMax » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:54 am

Fount it, I have 3-9-7-10 it seams.

I must have missed that about the God Robe, it also protect from poisons (Not that it matters much). That'll probably help a little when I get to Daos.

About the Sea-Ring, that would've been great info to know beforehand ;p Is there more than 1 Sea-Ring/Undead Ring in the entire game? Never thought to look for more.

I did use savestates at first when I was testing the fight. Once I was confident that i had the right setup I did not to use them (except when I had to stop playing) until I reached the last phase. From there I saved every time he landed back down to earth. I did have to reload maybe 6 or 7 times when i got a few stroke of bad luck with many Dragon Breath / Scramble eggs attack in a single 10round cycle, but after fighting this guy for 3 days, I really didn't want to start over! Plus at some point, I was really wondering if I was dealing any damage at all, with his secret healing and too many Scrambled Egg attack, Guy was only able to swing for damage 2-3x per 10 round most of the time. You really cross your fingers for some crits every time that blade hits!

I found a save state I kept before starting the fight, checking my timer from both before and after, the fight duration was 5h29min... But I still really enjoyed the whole challenge. The only boss that made me rage was the Ghost ship, I had 7 adds in a row explode in my face at 1 point during phase 1, and when I finally got to phase 2 the most damage I was able to deal to one add was something like 2487, 13 shy of blowing it up. I had to start the whole thing over and go buy a pair of Bunny Blades for Selan and Artea. After that, it was smooth sailing 8D

Is there a way to know my exact HP if it's above 999? I know Selan had a bit more because a 1000heal from Champion would leave her 1 line of pixels short of full, and Artea's IP from God Robe was healing for 1005. I'm not even sure how you can get your health to go pass 999.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 am

Okay, here are some changes regarding the newest version:

- metal dragons' regular attack nows inflicts a status ailment (though the only revelant one might be confusion by Gold Dragon)
- Ghost Ship now sometimes uses Absorb from the beginning
- Tank now has a modified final phase (but it does get only a better defense - the offense it basically the same)

That should be all about the changes. If you have a save back there, you might try it out again. Otherwise, however, it might not be a big deal, anyway.

The dragons are basically the same as long as you surprise them and kill the Gold Dragon before he can even attack - this, of course, excludes parties of two Goldies where you definitely should kill at least one before they attack the first time. Unless, of course, you were lucky and found enough stuff protecting against confusion.

The Ghost Ship battle is basically the same, too. The only difference is that you might occasionally have to heal the MP more frequently.

The Tank, however, now gets some new defense properties at the end which might have you to adjust the strategy a little bit. Now finally a late game boss where the Spider Jewel might be really handy.

There are infinite Sea Rings but only one Undead Ring.

And some IP moves which heal your max HP show exactly how much the target has. Like for example Seethru Cape's Miracle.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 am

Hey, Artemis, I know you're not ready to submit it to the "hacks" section of RHDN yet, but would you at the least be willing to make a topic in the Personal Projects section of the forum?

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:12 am

I might look for it somewhen soon.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 am

Well, nothing new about RHDN, however Kureji Lufia now has a forum at insanedifficulty.com.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/126-kureji-lufia/

Solar Prominence
Red Jelly

Postby Solar Prominence » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Hello! I've recently played through your Spekkio patch. It was a strange experience to be infiltrating Gratze Kingdom instead of " 'ly Kingdom "; I appreciate all of the other bugfixes and the work that's gone into them. The Sinistrals were indeed a cut above the normal bosses, but they weren't a huge challenge, to say nothing of the other bosses.

Therefore, I've been considering making a difficulty patch of my own - hopefully working off of Frue Lufia to take advantage of its bugfixes. I know about Kureji Lufia, but there's some things in it that doesn't appeal to me, and making a hack is partly about improving my own skills.

To that end I was wondering if you could offer some advice - or point me to some documentation - on editing monsters and their attacks. Some information on the format that monster data and battle scripts are stored in would be especially helpful, as well as the process of making more room for AI scripts and all the pointer hacking that goes with it. Obviously you're not obliged to help a random stranger with his overbearing requests, but you seem to be the most active modder in the community; I thought I might ask for your help if you're willing to give it.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”