Elven Age Confusion

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Elven Age Confusion

Postby vivify93 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:02 am

OK, so according to Forfeit Island, Milka is 25 in The Legend Returns. However, Jerin's actual age is stated to be 23 in The Fortress of Doom! Not to mention Artea's age is stated as 85 in The Fortress of Doom, but he should be at least 100 years old.

Did the developers just not think this through?
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Re: Elven Age Confusion

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:04 am

vivify93 wrote:Did the developers just not think this through?

probably that... though i've always wondered about how the elven ages works. they seem to be different in most of the games they are in...
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:41 am

So Milka is 25 in TLR? At least her appearance.

Still, in human years. Milka should at least be around 7-10 years old (theoretically). So in TLR she should be around 206-209 years old. Back in the old DnD books elves didn't mature until around 300 years. But this is Lufia so that doesn't count.

Jerin, to me she looks like she's 14. So half elves I guess age half as much as humans. Meaning they can live around more than 140+ years which seems right.

I think Artea was 85 years old during the prologue of FoD. So he should be around 184 when you meet him. Maybe they didn't clarify that fact.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 am

But that doesn't add up. RotS Artea looks to be around TLR Milka's physical age, and by that theory, he's only actually 85. So shouldn't TLR Milka look just a little older than RotS Artea? It doesn't add up.

Then again, you're probably right. In FoD, Artea didn't seem to age in the 100 years he was in Elfrea. But that leads to a new question: why did FoD Milka age when Artea had not?
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Because in RotS, Milka was a child. And elves tend to grow their first hundred years. So Milka is an adult in FoD. As for TLR, she should look (concept art aside) either the similar or exact age as she was in FoD.

No one was thinking anything when they were making TLR except to make a Lufia game in 15 weeks.
---DarkMaster2101

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Perhaps the elves grow up but not old in Lufia games. I'm sure there were no "old" elf sprites in the first two games, and while I can't remember TLR's sprites exactly, I think there weren't any there either. Thus, if 85-year-old Artea (in Maxim's timeline) was already fully grown, he wouldn't grow any older, nor would Milka when she reached that age.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

HegemonKhan
Red Jelly

Postby HegemonKhan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:43 pm

for that matter, i don't think i've ever seen an old-looking elf (for the most part) in any medium of story (except some usually evil sorceror "elves").

i only played lufia 1 and 2 (lufia and the fortress of doom, lufia 2: rise of the sinistrals), so i can't really contribute much, but this is an interesting thread for me.

guy dies at 100 years of age (in lufia 1).

so u can take guy's age in (lufia 2) and use it with his final age (100) to tell how much time passed between lufia 2 and lufia 1, which you can than add to artea's age in lufia 2 for artea's current age in lufia 1.

(artea's age in lufia 2) + (100 - guy's age in lufia 2) = artea's current age in lufia 1 (or how much time has passed between lufia 2 and lufia 1).

if there's a difference in the proportionality between guy's aging and artea's aging (than the above would be able to be used to show how much slower/faster elves, artea, age compared to humans, guy)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
re-read the posts for some of the facts u give and used a post from another site:

1. "Not to mention Artea's age is stated as 85 in The Fortress of Doom" -vivify93

2. according to SinReVi (from gamefaqs.com and who is suppose to be an authority on lufia 2) :

"The ages are known, they were listed on the soundtrack (the old soundtrack, not the new one)

Going to list them from youngest to oldest.

Tia: 18
Selan: 20
Maxim: 21
Guy: 24
Dekar: 26
Lexis: 35
Artea: Unknown, but no doubt he is the oldest because he is an adult elf."

so.......

artea's age: 161 (in lufia 1) OR 161 + ? (i don't know if artea dies in lufia 1 or not)

85 (lufia 2) - 161 (85+76=161) (lufia 1) - ? (i haven't finished lufia 1 so i don't know if artea dies or not)

guy's age: 100 (deceased) (in lufia 1)

24 (lufia 2) - 100 (lufia 1)

time between lufia 2 and lufia 1:

76 (human) years (guy's age: 100-24=76)

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Correction, Guy dies at age 123 years old. AND it clearly states in the prologue of Lufia I that 99 years have passed since the first Doom Island War (well including the 90's past plus the 9 years later when the game starts).

No offense, but before you do the math keep in mind of all the confirmed numbers.

Now that I think about it, Artea was 83 in FoD. I wonder why Forfeit changed the RoTS age to 84? Hmm...
---DarkMaster2101

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:47 pm

I haven't seen any official sources myself that list the ages of the characters in Lufia I (except Lufia being 16 and Reyna 10) so I say that Artea is not 83 or 84 in any of the games. His age was listed as unknown in the soundtrack of Lufia II.

I am going with the theory of 10 human years are 1 year for elves physically. In Lufia TLR there is a little elf child, who says that he is actually 50 years old. In Lufia II, Milka was also a child.
Let's say she was also around 50 in Lufia II. ( 50/10 = 5 so that would make her look a 5 year old) Lufia TLR is 200 years after Lufia II.

50 years + 200 years = 250 years
250/10 = 25 years

There you go, Milka's age of 25 in TLR.

Artea looks around (or maybe 1 or 2 years older) TLR Milka's age. If Artea was around 250 in Lufia II he would be 350 (349? *) (35) in Lufia I and 450 (45) in Lufia TLR. Artea is still alive during the TLR timeline.

* According to Lufia I, the Second Doom Island War is 99 years after Lufia II, according to Lufia TLR, the Second Doom Island War was 100 years after Lufia II

Then again, you're probably right. In FoD, Artea didn't seem to age in the 100 years he was in Elfrea. But that leads to a new question: why did FoD Milka age when Artea had not?

With my theory of the 10 years=1 year physically, there was probably no need to make a new sprite for Artea. Artea is an adult and he wasn't physically old enough to get a grandpa sprite.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:21 pm

I think I like SinReVi's theory best. :lol: I looked through Forfeit Island's LI transcript real quick and it says nothing about Artea being 85. Huh. Where'd they get that info from, then?

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:26 pm

In conclusion, elves age ten times slower than humans.

As for half-elves, though Jerin was 28 (according to Forfeit), to me she looks 14 years old. Half elves I guess age twice as slower than humans.

Jerin looks like a child, I doubt a child at that time was limited to pre-ten years old. So I am thinking around 12-14 would be the best place to start with Jerin. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Shame on the developers for not thinking that elves count years the same as humans. Then again, we figured out the aging process.

If Arty was 84 years old in RoTS (if it were elf years), then would it mean he also lived 840 years before? It isn't impossible. After all, elves are immortal to time in youth and vitality.
---DarkMaster2101

HegemonKhan
Red Jelly

Postby HegemonKhan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:35 pm

my bad for:

1. not remembering/being sure if 99/100 years had gone by from lufia 2 to lufia 1. i wasn't sure so didn't include it in the math.

2. also, i thought that guy dies at (aka, thought the game says he's) 100, or does it just say that guy is at least 100 years old (meaning he's over 100) when he dies ?

both of these threw me off, as you have already mentioned/explained.

again sorry for the mistake(s). my bad !!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Hero: You're Guy? But....!
Guy: No need to be suprised. I'm over 100 but still kicking!

He is over 100 =P
Guy was 24 during Lufia II, but it wasn't stated at what time during Lufia II he was 24. Remember at least one year (and a month?) passes after the fight with Gades when Maxim marries Selan. If his age was for the beginning of the game, or for when you meet him, he would have turned 25 during the game since you meet him before the time skip of one year.

With the 99/100 years confusion he would be
123 if Guy was 24 at the ending of Lufia II and 99 years have passed.
124 if Guy was 24 at the ending of Lufia II and 100 years have passed.
124 if Guy was 24 at the beginning of the game and 99 years have passed (since the ending of Lufia II, not the beginning)
125 if Guy was 24 at the beginning of the game and 100 years have passed (since the ending of Lufia II, not the beginning)

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals

~ OUT NOW! 2010

maxim6221
Hero of the Lufians

Postby maxim6221 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:48 am

sinrevi makes valid points.

Hey Big Sexy! >_<

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 am

Long time no see!
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”