Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Postby vivify93 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 am

Here is a link to vivify93’s Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup, v1.5: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/813/

I created this patch for Lufia: The Legend Returns back in 2009, when Artemis released the Lufia-Patches. To be straightforward, I feel that Lufia: The Legend Returns' localization never got the respect it deserves. Everyone knows this game is chock-full of typos, grammatical issues, continuity problems compared to the previous two games, and unnecessary truncations of inventory names. (Wake Rng, Gades' B., Bishop Rng, the list goes on...)

Therefore, I elected to open up The Legend Returns in a hex editor and see what I could fix, and thanks to Rainponcho demystifying the text dictionary, I was able to correct a numerous amount of typos, context errors, and translation mistakes in the dialogue. Thanks so much to Swordmaster for playtesting the entire game for me.

As of v0.20, this game will now work on a real 3DS via GameYob, as I have fixed the internal checksum with the tool HebeGB9x. Unless there are any more typos or spillover issues to fix up, v1.5 should be the final release.

Current changes:

- Dialogue font and menu font changed to very slightly edited versions of their Lufia II kin.

- Alternate patch to reduce the text box size and have the entire game use the smaller font. (All errors in this patch have been fixed by rainponcho.)

- Multitude of typos and grammatical errors fixed across the dialogue and menu both. Now the story makes more sense!

- Improved and updated inventory descriptions, including adding missing punctuation and pluralization where necessary.

- Continuity corrections to legacy terms such as character names, monster names, and inventory selections, using Frue Lufia as the standard.

- Many retranslated terms taken from Crysta Blade and pokeeiyuu's Lufia: The Legend Returns menu translation effort on GameFAQs.

- An alternate patch is provided, which decreases the text box size and has the game use the smaller font for dialogue. The original, larger dialogue font is still available as well.

Here is a link to vivify93’s Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Restored, v2.1: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2744/

At some point during Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup's development, it occurred to me that Lufia & the Fortress of Doom probably needed some work as well. While it wasn't as big of an undertaking as the third game was for me, or second game was for Artemis and everyone who has helped him as of this post, it still had a collection of small and medium issues that had to be corrected to maintain consistency with the rest of the series.

This was originally a mere Text Cleanup; however, thanks to the continued efforts Rainponcho, I feel that Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Restored is a more appropriate name.

This project is complete. Barring any unforeseen major typos or glitches, v2.1 will be the final release.

- Uses Lufia Decensored by D (AKA Cinnamon Pirate.) to restore alcoholic references, priest and bunny girl sprites, update various equipment names, and fix one of Gades' infamous lines. Names that didn't conform to official English Lufia lore have been reverted appropriately.

- Walking speed is now consistently fast, and vehicle movement speed has increased as well. The Sweet and Foul Water expiration messages have been restored and they cannot expire in towns, and you maintain your fast walking speed when disembarking vehicles. (Credit to JCE3000GT and Rainponcho.)

- Guard Daos' original battle script has been restored from Estpolis Denki. Its new move set: Melanchoy, Chaos, Destroy, Amnesia, Wail, Elegion, Glacier, Vulcan, Flood, Dread. (Credit to Rainponcho. Note that Melanchoy appearing to do nothing seems to be intentional.)

- The ROM has been expanded to 1.50 MB and the inventory descriptions have been restored! Press the X Button while hovering over an item to receive its description. (Credit to Rainponcho for the expansion and making the text insertion tool.)

- The text beeping noise is now maintained when you set the message speed to "Fast." (Credit to Rainponcho.)

- Crosses have been restored to church walls. (Credit to Rainponcho.)

- The sound defaults to stereo instead of mono when you open the game or start a new game file. (Credit to Rainponcho.)

- Lufia and Selan can now use Jerin's Zircon equipment.

- Continuity corrections to legacy terms such as character names, monster names, and inventory selections, using Frue Lufia as the standard.

- What few typos and outright translation errors there were have been corrected.
Last edited by vivify93 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:33 am, edited 62 times in total.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 am

Woot! I still haven't finished the game. Regardless I don't think I can stand to spend a good chunk of my life grinding for the sake of story.

I looked into the grinding ours... OVERKILL!!! As in almost 90% of gameplay.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 am

EDIT: The patch is in the first post. It's a MegaUpload link, but the entirety of the patch and readme combo is like 7 KB.

I removed the list of changes because it's in the readme now.

Yeah...

This basically just makes crap look pretty, so don't be surprised when you still see quite a few dialogue typos and grammar issues.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Guess what?

It's tomorrow.

The patch is out.

Hopefully someone will download it.

If you guys want insight on why I chose a particular name for a particular item or spell, ask away. Though, I doubt anyone will post in this topic anymore.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I will post here just to play with your mind, hehe :) I'm affraid I don't have the game, nor the time to play it... but from what I heard about the game, any improvement is more than welcome, thanks!

Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

rtnario
Villager

Postby rtnario » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:11 pm

"Hopefully someone will download it." :wink:

Since I'm probably one of the rare few to enter and love the Lufia series through TLR, I'mma give this a shot. I was thinking of playing through the game again anyway ^^

Also, why don't you use Mediafire for the lack of waiting time? Just a suggestion...
A <b>frue</b> and proud Lufia: The Legend Returns fan!

<a href="http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1386162">Lufia: The Legend Returns - Remixes by LEAF XCEED</a>

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Dunno. Last time I checked, MegaUpload didn't have a waiting time anymore.

And as far as I know, MegaUpload doesn't delete files. So, yeah.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:03 pm

It seems that TLR is more complicated than Lufia 2 as there's just too less space.

I like especially some of the changes like Goddess Tear into Goddess Idol. :D

drcossack
Villager

Postby drcossack » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 am

DarkMaster2101 wrote:Woot! I still haven't finished the game. Regardless I don't think I can stand to spend a good chunk of my life grinding for the sake of story.

I looked into the grinding ours... OVERKILL!!! As in almost 90% of gameplay.

The grinding/monotony in TLR isn't even required unless you're interested in the items from certain bosses. It's only required for the first two Gades fights, since you need a certain # of Hi-Bombs to win each one. Getting the other equipment from Bosses (3 fights with Daos, one with an Ancient Dragon) isn't that bad if you know how to do it - you have access to the Ancient Cave after beating Amon.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:32 am

Artemis wrote:It seems that TLR is more complicated than Lufia 2 as there's just too less space.

I like especially some of the changes like Goddess Tear into Goddess Idol. :D

Thanks. All I was trying to do is maintain a consistency with the Lufia series as a whole, though.

As for there being less space, I'd imagine this is partly because of the German text and partly because of how most SNES games handle things.

Most SNES games would display item names as "Longsword Broadsword Cursed Blade" while from what I've seen, TLR saves names as "Longsword.Langklinge.Broadsword.Großklinge.CurseBlade.Übelklinge" (excuse the poor German, I used Babelfish to make a quick example).

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 pm

I downloaded the patch but haven't tried it out yet. (but I read the readme file)

I know these are not item names, but maybe you could do something about this:

- After you first meet Randolph in Caan, a NPC says you have to go to the Deserted Lighthouse that's northeast of Caan. But the Deserted Lighthouse is northwest of Caan!

inconsistent spelling of names
- When you fight Iris in the AC, her name changes into Iria in the battle.
- Mologolo/Mologoro
- Slani/Sulani
- Prince Alheim was called Almheim by a NPC. (Almheim is the name that's used in the japanese version)
- Artea's name: It was spelled Artea in the Artea Bow, Arty by a NPC and Artia by Milka.
( EDIT: - And the Parethea Shrine was called Paresia Shrine by the Master when you reach B100 in the AC)

Thanks. All I was trying to do is maintain a consistency with the Lufia series as a whole, though.

Since you're doing that, you might want to change the weapon "Custom 65" in "Suhrcostum65" (if it fits).
I checked the japanese version and it was spelled the same as the japanese name of Suhrcostum11 (from Lufia II) except the different number.

Confuse Orgel
Made from an inventor of old.*
Confuses enemies on rare occassions.
Music Box
Confuse all
enemies.
The original name is 'Fig Orgel', with 'Fig' being the Confuse spell. Remember the Figgoru from Lufia 2? Yeah, this is the same thing.

Quoted from http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessa ... 139&page=4
Another item

I see you already changed Red Ring into Wave Ring =P Yay
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:36 pm

"Suhrcustom65" wouldn't fit. We're only alotted 10 letters for weapon names, not to mention we need to take the German text into account. If it's too small, then I won't be able to fit it into the name. That was the reason I couldn't call the Tea "Green Tea". See, it displayed "Tea.Tee.Magic Pot" in the ROM. It'd be displayed as "Green Teaagic Pot" if I'd tried to name it "Green Tea", and the actual Magic Pot item would lose its name! In theory, at least.

Anyway, if the German text allowed me to expand it to ten letters, I'd have to cut it off at "Suhrcustom".

As for the Music Box/Confuse Orgel/Confusic Box, well, we commonly know an "orgel" as a "music box" here, so I left it the same. I'd have put in "Confusic Box" were there enough room, but there simply wasn't.

- Iris/Iria: Yeah, I'll fix it.
(Fixed. It was just the enemy name that changed into Iria, right?)

- Northwest/northeast: I could try. But I'm pretty sure that they're stored as separate words in the dictionary, so I wouldn't be able to alter it unless I got my hands on a table file.
(Can't be fixed.)

- Mologolo/Mologoro: This I might be able to fix.
(Fixed. I hope there were no dialogue instances of Mologolo.)

- Slani/Sulani: I'll look into it.
(Fixed, though some dialogues will have two spaces when refering to the Slani Cave.)

- Alheim/Almheim: I'll fix the NPC's text if I can. I probably wouldn't be able to restore "Almheim" everywhere else, so "Alheim" he'll have to stay.
(Fixed. Turns out for some reason "Alheim" isn't in the dictionary.)

- Artea/Arty/Artia: I looked for it and can't find it.
(Looked. Can't find it. I did find something while looking for fragments, but it's "ttia". I don't think that's the line in reference...)

- Parethea/Paresia: Yeah, I'll try.
(Can't find "Paresia", but I can find "Parethea". Does anyone in the dialogue reference "Parethea", or is it just that one of "Paresia"? If so, I can change the temple to "Paresia"...)

I'll release a new version when I get some feedback. I've never finished TLR, so that's why I was hoping to leave this a menu patch for now...

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 am

the rings being shortened to "rngs" wasnt my biggest issue with this game. The horrendous spelling, the idiotic plots, and the overload of useless sexual intercourse characters killed any joy I had for the game.

Oh... and every, EVERY dungeon looking exactly the same killed it too.

On the other hand it had quite a bit of strategy needed for some bosses, it gets props for that. But I pretty much stopped using characters that came after that Dekar-wannabe.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 am

The purpose of this topic isn't to insult the game or share your personal opinions.

It's to discuss how to improve and comment on a small grammar-improving and nomenclature-updating hack I made. That's it.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:18 am

vivify93 wrote: - Iris/Iria: Yeah, I'll fix it.
(Fixed. It was just the enemy name that changed into Iria, right?)

right

- Slani/Sulani: I'll look into it.
(Fixed, though some dialogues will have two spaces when refering to the Slani Cave.)

Did you change it to Slani(space) ?

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”