Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:36 pm

These are great, vivify93. I just finished a Lufia I playthrough using Restored v2.0 and I loved it. The reason I'm here, though, is that I found a few errors. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi, so I usually notice these things whether I want to or not. I took screen shots whenever I found something, if you're interested. Just let me know and I'll post them here. I am now starting Lufia III with Text Cleanup v0.20. Thanks for these! :D

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby vivify93 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:11 am

Sure, I'm definitely interested! Feel free to let me know. I didn't touch the dialogue and I'm not really intending to since it was so well-written in the first place, but I appreciate all and any reports regardless. :)
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 am

Then I shall refrain from posting anything from the original text.

It's small, it's round, and it's red red.

This one is a bit of a nitpick, really. The Might Bow is the only thing in the game that claims to hit all foes, when in fact it only hits a group like the other bows. Not sure how you'd reword it to fit, though. Perhaps replace "extremely" with "very". At any rate, it's not a big deal.

And that's all I have. The other four or so are from original text. Story sequences and spell explanations, etc. Probably the least amount of errors I have ever found in a video game.

And now, back to collecting Hi-Bombs for the showdown with the master of frue destruction!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:42 am

How about: Hits some foes.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:19 am

Is Lufia III Text Cleanup still being worked on? I just recruited Dei, and already I've accumulated about six frue errors and two or three insignificant ones (missing commas, etc.). I could post these as well, if it would be helpful.

Off topic: I have searched the internet looking for a monster list that includes drops and Cooking results. Is the guide by dekar10 the best available? It is severely lacking. I don't understand the lack of interest in this game. It is one of my favorite RPGs. (Not better than Lufia II, of course.) I decided to note anything I obtain by random drop. It is a very short list so far, and nothing useful. (I know about the Alum Blade, just haven't obtained it yet.)

Edit: Is Lufia World the best forum for these discussions? Or have I overlooked a more populous place for Lufia fans?

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Excellent work, guys! I guess we can't stress enough just how red that beret is.
Swordmaster, I'd say this is about the only (or one of the few) Lufia forum standing. There used to be lots of them, but they all kinda went into eternal slumber as time went by. I don't think there's one more active than this one. Thanks for your suggestions by the way!

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 am

Swordmaster wrote:Is Lufia III Text Cleanup still being worked on? I just recruited Dei, and already I've accumulated about six frue errors and two or three insignificant ones (missing commas, etc.). I could post these as well, if it would be helpful.

It would be very helpful. I've fixed up a lot of the game since I started my latest playthrough; there's just a massive amount of content in Lufia III and it's so hard to work through it. I think I'll be going on 80 hours by the time I'm done. I really hope that Iris and the Master don't have too bad of typos or grammatical issues, because I want to save in a separate slot before losing Seena, then finish the game and probably release 1.0. Then I'd release 1.1 or whatever if the Ancient Cave quests have awful typos.

I fixed the issue with Lufia 1's descriptions. Thank you so much for pointing them out. I'll be releasing a new version after Lufia III 1.0 is out.

"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm glad you're still working on Lufia III. I love this game. This game needed a Text Cleanup more than any I can think of. I just recruited Ruby, and I have around 50 screen shots saved. lol. I'll start posting what I've found in a couple of days. I work weekends, so my time is limited at the moment. If there is anything else I can help with, just let me know. =)

Edit: I have a few minutes to at least get started. These are all from v0.20 of the Lufia III Text Cleanup patch.

Perhaps it would sound better to say, "Recover HP of horizontal rank by 1/3 MHP of user"? Probably doesn't fit, but that's what it does as far as I can tell. There are many of these vague descriptions, most of which probably have no practical solution. The only reason I snapped this one is because it was worded clumsily and could probably be amended within the character space allotted.

"This is the total S.F. *that* flows into Wain." Maybe?

ImageImage
There are a lot of these missing periods in various descriptions. I stopped recording these. I would guess they are the absolute least important errors.

ImageImage
Perhaps not even an error. I just found it odd that it says "Destruction Wave..." when Gades raises his ATP, then says it again when it is actually unleashed.

This might have been intentional due to character space.

Um... no, your name is Gantz. With a "t". I can see it in your text box. As far as I know, this is the only place that omits the "t".

Extra space before "shocked".

ImageImage
Man, somebody just doesn't know how to spell "villains". To be fair, it is an odd word. That's English for you.

Oh wow, Deckard got it right! This one is error-free.

...Really? You had it right just a minute ago!

And that's all the time I had. I hope these are helpful. I'll post more when I can.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:26 am

Actually, there is an error in Deckard's text. "You, villains!" shouldn't have the comma. :P

First Aid's description and missing periods: Yes, there's unfortunately very little space to work with, so the missing periods will stay missing for now. It's inconsistent, but in my opinion not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. I changed First Aid to say "Recovers 1/3 HP of ally next to you", as well as a similar IP Skill that recovers 1/2 HP. Does that sound less kludgy?

"total S.F. flows": The way I interpreted that line, he's saying "this is the total of Spiritual Force flows that Wain receives." The series has used "energy flows" before to refer to SF. I can see where you're coming from though.

"Destruction Wave..." "Destruction Wave": This was something in even the original Japanese version. Not sure what I could do here.

Ganz, PripheaPark, " shocked", "villan": All fixed! :)

Seeing as how you've met Ruby, it seems you're actually further ahead of me; would you be interested in having a beta of L3 Text Cleanup v1.0 to work with to help me out?

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:46 pm

vivify93 wrote:Actually, there is an error in Deckard's text. "You, villains!" shouldn't have the comma. :P

Oh, right. "Error-free" was the wrong thing to say. I also neglected to mention that I gave up on comma-placement errors, since there were so many. I would probably have double the amount of screenshots. Also, while my spelling is impeccable, I tend to overuse commas. Therefore I dub punctuation my weak point. I trust that minna-san shall refrain from punctuation-based attacks until I can find an armament that bolsters punctuation protection. ...Sorry, I'm not 100% sane.

vivify93 wrote:First Aid's description and missing periods: Yes, there's unfortunately very little space to work with, so the missing periods will stay missing for now. It's inconsistent, but in my opinion not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. I changed First Aid to say "Recovers 1/3 HP of ally next to you", as well as a similar IP Skill that recovers 1/2 HP. Does that sound less kludgy?

Yes, that is much better. And I agree that the inconsistent use of periods is the absolute least important problem.

vivify93 wrote:"Destruction Wave..." "Destruction Wave": This was something in even the original Japanese version. Not sure what I could do here.

It's fine as it is, especially since it was that way in the original Japanese version.

vivify93 wrote:Seeing as how you've met Ruby, it seems you're actually further ahead of me; would you be interested in having a beta of L3 Text Cleanup v1.0 to work with to help me out?

If it would help, I certainly wouldn't mind. Just let me know of the method you prefer. I shall leave my email address, lest that is the path you choose: lorddragonrand@yahoo.com.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I sent it out as Sleepy Teddy from Gmail. Thank you kindly. :)

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks. I will resume with the new version. Just ignore any error reports that have already been corrected. I still have quite a few to post from v0.20. I will go ahead and add a few since I have some minutes to spare.

"Hey, thief." One of the few comma omissions I recorded.

"Are you going, Dei?" Another one.

Here's a tricky one. It's supposed to be "far away", not "faraway". For "faraway" to fit, the sentence would have to be worded something like this: "Northland and Eastland are faraway places."

Apparently Aima has poor directional sense. West. It's west, Aima.

Image Image
This is what happens when you use Instinct on an enemy that has nothing left to steal. The right image is from an unaltered vanilla US ROM. I don't have a JP ROM, so I can't test to see if it was there from the beginning.

And my time is up. I'll post more later.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:08 pm

I can remove commas, but adding them is trickier. Same with splitting up words. You probably noticed someone said "beside" instead of "besides" once--another thing I can't quite fix.

I just looked into the "Can't steal from [enemy]" issue, actually. Apparently, the code for it was "Can't steal from0103E6C2.", where the string of hex is the enemy name variable. 03, coincidentally, is the same byte used for line breaks. Whoever was coding Lufia III must've thought the 03 was a linebreak, and it spills out of the text in a hilarious way. I couldn't alter it to say "Can't steal from [enemy]." with a space and period, so I rewrote it: "[Enemy] has no items." With a line break and all! :D

Edit - I did fix Aima's wrong direction though.
Last edited by vivify93 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 am

Good job! I would have thought that if anything was going to be difficult, that would have been it. So... comma-omission errors are a no-go? I had only recorded a few of those anyway. I'm not sure if I came across that "beside" error, or if I did I might have overlooked it. The perfectionist in me is disturbed by that thought. lol

One more night of work, but here are a few more.

I'm not sure if this is technically grammatically incorrect, but it just doesn't feel right. I think it's supposed to be, "A light, wooden shield." Again, there are so many of these I stopped recording them. I'd say that, if indeed these are errors, they are way down there with period omissions in importance. I'm only posting this one as an example, and to possibly get your input.

Oh good, fianlly did it. Obviously, "finally" misspelled. This makes me wish I checked every diary entry. I enjoy this game so much, sometimes I forget to go check. Especially before the Warp spell.

"Entrance." I didn't even notice this one the first time I talked to Chamy. ::indignant look::

Image Image
"Doesn't." Found two of these so far.

Perhaps Randolph is secretly a reptilian. "Assistance."

Image Image
I don't understand what you're trying to say, Guard. Can "prate" even be used as a noun? "Pirates," of course. (Only the second pic contains an error.)

"Every day." Similar to the "faraway" error. Since these can't be fixed, should I stop reporting them?

Image Image
Oh... I guess I did find it. The perfectionist in me is happy now. Too bad it can't be fixed.

She sure is is. There is an extra "are".

Come on, Seena. Use either "cause" or "since", but not both. Also, "cause" should begin with an apostrophe since it is a shortened "because". Or, you know, just use "because" instead. Chop-chop, Seena, you've got choices to make.

Image Image
I... don't know what's going on here. Didn't Gantz fix Lamika's house? Also, I'm pretty sure he said this before Gantz fixed Lamika's house. lol, I understand this is not fixable, if it is indeed even an error.

That's all for now. Thanks for listening to my nonsense. I hope I have been helpful. I'll post more tomorrow.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 pm

You've been more than helpful! You're a life-saver! And I think your comments poking fun at the spelling issues are hilarious. :lol:

fianlly, enterance, dosen't, prates, assisstance, are are, only cause since - All fixed, thanks! The last one was rewritten a little; before, it had awful grammar. It was like, "Well, only since because 'cause due to the fact that seeing as Dei said so to do it and carry it out..." I know you're pissed Seena, but use your big girl words. :lol:

beside, faraway, everyday - Yeah, space is an issue unfortunately. Those will have to stay as-is. You can keep reporting them if you really feel the need to on the off chance I can fix it. But it might be a waste of your time.

Patos Uncle's text - Believe it or not, he has multiple lines. His previous one was, "If we get the lumber, we can have Lamika's house fixed soon." I'll change his new line to say something different.

Aaand done! Sometimes these little things are fixable because for whatever reason, there's an extra space in the data before a line-break. I have no idea why.

(Consolidated two screenshots into one since it's just a textual change. "that beautifully." appears after you press the A Button.)

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”