Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:10 pm

vivify93 wrote:The last one was rewritten a little; before, it had awful grammar. It was like, "Well, only since because 'cause due to the fact that seeing as Dei said so to do it and carry it out..."

Um... what? Was that the original text in the US ROM? lol, wow, I do not remember that. A butchery of the English language of that magnitude could very well have caused a memory repression.

vivify93 wrote:Image

(Consolidated two screenshots into one since it's just a textual change. "that beautifully." appears after you press the A Button.)

Wow, your graphical manipulation abilities far exceed my own. While that might seem like sarcasm, I assure you it is not. I will draw a stick figure to make a toddler embarrassed for me, I am not afraid. lol

And with that bit of nonsense out of the way, I shall resume my quest:

Not an error. I just have a couple of suggestions. Since there isn't enough room for "Alstadt Kingdom", wouldn't just plain "Alstadt" be better than "Alstadt ::sneeze sound::"? Also... if the space between the words is removed, it looks like it will indeed fit. "AlstadtKingdom". You know what, that actually looks horrible after I see it typed out. I remove my vote for "AlstadtKingdom".

I am no English major, but I'm pretty sure the tense is off in this one. I think it should be either of these two: "I didn't think she had a cat." or "I don't think she has a cat." I could very well be mistaken and the sentence is totally fine as is, grammatically.

Image Image Image Image
How... how did he do that?! You can't... you can't just walk over rocks like that. I must have this godlike ability! Perhaps then I could find that stupid treasure in Siantao. It's driving me nuts! lol, it's funny, but probably not an error. And if it is, I'm assuming it's beyond the scope and/or intent of this project. (lol, he's all like "look what I can do", and the party is completely oblivious.)

Aiya.... "Otherwise we'll fire." "Otherwise we will fire." Either of those work.

Oops, I guess there were three of these. "Doesn't"

I'm fairly certain it should be "out of the castle."

Seems to be a clumsy translation. I have no idea how to improve it, though.

I can't remember what was said before this, but I think this is the only time I found a period omission in dialog text.

This person is clearly having a stroke. How can a metal alloy even have a routine to return to? It's utter gibberish. "Soldiers."

Here is another one of those that could go two ways, but were instead combined into an error. "They would believe rumors over the truth." "They would rather believe rumors than the truth." Change a word, or add a word.
Last edited by Swordmaster on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 pm

This description is a little confusing. When I used it, I was surprised that I attacked twice. Is there enough space for something like "Attacks X2"? ATP implies Attack Power.

Probably not fixable, but "townsfolk".

As far as I know, "Sinistrals" has always been capitalized.

Comes with... what kind of arrows? I think that word went into another dimension. The glitch even stays there until you exit the menu. lol. I guess somebody thought they were too good for line breaks. "The space constraints shall bend to my will!" (I'm guessing the word that refused to stay in the correct dimension was "holy". Especially since Dei's arrows started doing excellent damage to the undead.)

Rapier? I'm pretty sure that's a rod.... ::inspects the Silver Rod for a hidden blade::

Just remove "to" and it's all good.

"An orb of light..."

This again.... Ok, either "...I'll explain the rules." Or "...I'll tell you the rules." I think I'm going to call this type of error "If you can't make up your mind... combine!"

Well, yeah! It would indeed be scary if someone waved me around... like a knife. ...Oh my god, the knife is sentient! Sorry I scared you, SmallKnife. So... how to fix? "It's scary when waved around!" Maybe?

::eyes wide:: There is an item hidden here??? Doko? (Ok, an explanation is in order. This is the room where the old man sells you stuff in the Ancient Cave. Out of curiosity I used a code to put the Chest Sonar in my inventory... and to my surprise it toned once. I searched every tile, just like in destroyed Siantao, but found nothing. So frustrating. We need a code to walk through walls. Speaking of destroyed Siantao... I think it is the only place in the game that doesn't name itself via text box at the top of the screen.) At any rate, not a text error, if even an error at all.

I wonder which sin it's referring to. Sorry, very likely not an error, I just wanted to ask... what does it do??? This and....

\m/ This game knows what's up. Up the Irons! ::Bill and Ted style air guitar riff:: A most triumphant name for a such a bogus accessory. Is it known what these two items do? ...I mean, besides being used for torture, that is. (IronMaiden only... tabun.)

Whew... ok, I must end here for now. Glad to be of service. =)

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Apparently I got carried away and went over the character length. Had to divide it.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Swordmaster wrote:Um... what? Was that the original text in the US ROM? lol, wow, I do not remember that. A butchery of the English language of that magnitude could very well have caused a memory repression.

No, hahaha. I was making fun of how exaggerated it was.

I'll see what I can fix out of what you listed. Thanks.

CurseCharm and IronMaiden (Originally Evil Amlt and Holy Amlt.) reduce damage against shadow-elemental and holy-elemental attacks, apparently.

Edit 1 - The SmallKnife's description was changed as of v1.0. "Scary to swing, in many ways!"

Edit 2 -

- Anything not related to text is unfortunately beyond the scope of this mod.

- Probably not gonna fix Alstadt Kngdm. or Siantao Kngdm. I think it's fine as is.

- "I don't think she had a cat." is fine as it is I think.

- "Otherwise will fire!", "going out the castle", "got the great power!", "solders are returning", "believe rumors than truth", "ATP x 2", "two more sinistrals", Silver Bow description spillover, Silver Rod description error, "all the way to here," "A orb of light," "I'll explain you the rules"--All fixed! Thank you!

- Anything not mentioned unfortunately isn't fixable.

Please keep them coming!
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:37 am

vivify93 wrote:I was making fun of how exaggerated it was.

Oh. Yeah, I should have realized that. lol

vivify93 wrote:CurseCharm and IronMaiden (Originally Evil Amlt and Holy Amlt.) reduce damage against shadow-elemental and holy-elemental attacks, apparently.

Oh! I remember those items now. When I found a CurseCharm, I thought it might be one of those since it didn't add to any stats. But the IronMaiden completely stumped me. I had thought, "Was this previously dummied or something?" Thanks for the clarification, senpai~!

I didn't realize it earlier, but I have posted everything I had from v0.20. The following are all taken from the one you sent me:

Image Image Image Image Image Image
This many samples is probably overkill, but this is all I have so far of references to "Gologolo". Just in case you meant to change this as you did "Mologolo" to "Mologoro". If I'm wrong, which the evidence suggests that I am, my apologies.

The skill itself was changed to "SolidAttack".

Well yeah, Dei, that's true. But it's really more accurate to call him a "necromancer". Probably not an error, but it is a suggestion.

Image Image
"This" implies the nearest one. The left door, which indeed is the one that leads to Leydock's "house" (that might be considered an understatement), is way over there. I dub this error, "Improper use of 'this' or 'that'."

This one is very minor. Probably not even worth your attention. "The Monster Track's over now. ...It's too bad." Or "The Monster Track's over now... It's too bad."

The skill itself was changed to "SpeedAttack".

Come on, grandma, your grammar should be better than that. "I've lived enough." Or even better, "I've lived long enough." ...Though not long enough to learn proper grammar, I guess.

If you're gonna use a comma, don't capitalize the following word. Sheesh. "Hmm... period or comma, period or comma.... I invoke 'If you can't make up your mind... combine!'"

More clumsy translation, I think. If he's trying to say these two concepts are not the same, they should be called "bravery" and "carelessness" respectfully. You know, to... um... noun-ify them. In an ideal world (i.e. without space constraints), my suggestions would be, "There is a difference between bravery and carelessness." Or, "Bravery and carelessness are not the same."

With the Chaff skill text, if you line-break after "and" instead of before "and"... you're gonna have a bad time.

Yet another example of Seena's exemplary use of the English language. English must not be the Sinistrals' native tongue. I-I mean, English must not be the native language of where ever Seena is from. ::sweatdrop:: It's "were", not "we're".

I'm pretty sure that comma doesn't belong, fixable or not.

Image Image
lol

So you're telling me this town is on the inner sea?! What an amazing place! Probably should be "by" or "next to" or "alongside" or even "against" the inner sea. My vote is on "by"; it sounds the most natural to me.

This one might be ok, but it sounds off to me. "I feel sad for Sammi. I also can't stop crying." "I feel sad for Sammi. I can't stop crying, either." Perhaps one of these?

Go ahead and try it, kid. It's a very long voyage by boat. However, if you go east instead, you will save a massive amount of time and distance. (This is in Elcorano, by the way. Mologoro is to the east. I swear, this game and directions....)

Image Image Image Image
First of all, I don't think this is a text error. So you can disregard it. I just never noticed this before. I was on B4, going down. I found a hole and thought, "Ah, shortcut." When I landed, the text said I was on B4. I thought, "Wait, what? How?" Activated the holy "Select Button", to bring up the map. Sure enough, I was on B5. Those silly Neverland coders....

And another post complete. This game... is a treasure trove of errors! lol, wow! I am all caught up now. Thank you so much for cleaning up this game I love so much, vivify-san. I shall now return to the game. I'm sure there will be many more errors to report. I'm going to try not to get behind, so it might be just a few reports at a time. Until then. ::bows deeply::

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 pm

- You're right. I meant to leave Gologolo Cave as is. I'm honestly not sure why I changed Mologolo to Mologoro in the first place though. I think when I was younger, I thought Mologoro sounded better. I'll just make it Mologolo again.

- I was going to tell you Attk couldn't be fixed, but then I realized it actually could, so... fixed. :P

- "through this left door," "you, But don't die.", Chaff's description spillover, "we we're up against?", "You, lucky stiff!", "on the inner sea.", "Mologoro is west" - All fixed!

- There was a similar problem to the Monster Track dialogue in an earlier text with a pastor. It's not something I really care to juggle around with to fix.

- "I lived enough.", "Brave and careless are different.", "I can't stop crying too." - These all strike me as perfectly acceptable slang. While they may not be grammatically correct, in an RPG--especially a Nintendo one--proper grammar in these cases would sanitize the script and make it dull. However! I don't fault you for reporting them, and I would personally rather you report lines like these on the chance that they're genuine errors. Lord knows this game has a treasure trove of 'em.

- I looked into the Gologolo Cave issue and I can't fix it, no. But that is pretty funny. There was another issue kind of like this, not really similar, but it reminded me of it. When you ask for an Ancient Text tutorial from a Woman at the Shop in one of the early towns, her name label changes to Uncle. OOOOK then...?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Edit - I also realized I probably actually can fix Melphis' "Yes" with no period, like how I fixed PripheaPark. I'm pretty sure it should work fine. Hooray punctuation!
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:03 am

vivify93 wrote:There was another issue kind of like this, not really similar, but it reminded me of it. When you ask for an Ancient Text tutorial from a Woman at the Shop in one of the early towns, her name label changes to Uncle. OOOOK then...?

That is hilarious. I don't think I ever noticed that. I've been paying more attention to name labels since reading this, though. Just in case.

Time for the daily report. (Wouldn't it be funny if I was like, "Well I played about 10 more hours, and you know... I didn't find a single error to report this time."?)

Image Image
I expected more from a genius. Wrong tense. Just remove "have", I think.

That comma strikes me as unnecessary. Though I am far from an expert on comma placement. ('Member? Yeah, I 'member! It was faintehstihck!)

Image Image
lol, what a mess. Is "which its entrance is" even needed in that sentence? And temple? He's not the only one to call Tanba Shrine a temple, either....

Image Image
That's all I've found so far. Every where else in the game refers to it as "Tanba Shrine".

Image Image
Just to clear up this Gologolo Cave issue. I had thought this was triggered by falling down a pit, but apparently it's just Gologolo Cave. There is no text when you enter the very first part of the cave. (You know, the non-random part with the healing hot spring and save tile.) In many dungeons, this would be called B1. However, when you go down a floor and the random generation starts, the text displays B1. The map does not agree. I guess that's why the bottom is called B9 instead of B10, which is normal for many caves. (Not that the bottom even had a label, if I recall correctly. There are quite a few places with missing labels.)

Image Image
Possibly intentional, but these are the only two instances that I have noticed that use just two periods instead of the usual three.

More clunky translation. "Wain, that way will take us downstairs." No need for the "to", Seena. Though if you must, "Wain, that way will take us to the lower levels." Or something like that. But that's more space, so I'm just wasting my typing. lol

Image Image
This is obviously beyond the scope of this project, but it was amusing, so I thought I would share. You only have Wain and Seena here, and I had previously removed them both from the party. I thought I'd see what happens if you get in a battle like this. As expected. Though I thought there might have been a small chance of a crash.

::picks up Daos:: "Where shall I take him to?" A comma would help here.

I just thought it was odd that the Death Pick and Ice Pick have different icons. Surely the Death Pick isn't a rapier...?

And that's all I have for now. Glad to have been of service. ::bows:: Hope I wasn't too annoying. lol

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:37 am

You're absolutely not annoying--you've been nothing extremely helpful!! :D I'll update this post in a bit with what I can and can't fix.

Edit -

- "have invented a flying machine", "Then, we'll make it", "It's in the temple which its entrance", the two "Tanba Temple" references, two-period ellipses, "take us to downstairs", "Take this Daos!" - All corrected. "Take this Daos!" had an unnecessary space after it, so I took advantage of that.

I wish I could change the Death Pick's icon, but I have no idea how in the world the icons are attached to items.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am

Well, the errors are starting to die down. I only have a few this time.

Another one of these..

Very minor comma omission.

Image Image
lol, is this what you were talking about? Could you not fix it? This person may have multiple personality disorder.

Skill was renamed to "RevngeBlade". This lady hasn't gotten the memo.

I don't know why, but this caused me to lol for real. I can't remember if this is vanilla or not, but I guess it's about as good as we can get. My only suggestion is maybe "PremiumWood". Same character length. Not nearly as nice as "magnificent", though.

An extra space between "a" and "princess".

And that's it. The dialog has been pretty smooth since the defeat of Daos. Until the next report. ::bows::

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Currently at school, so I can't make any edits at the moment. But I'll address a couple of notes here.

- I have no idea how to change Old Lady at the Shop becoming Uncle, as I'm not sure how name labels are attached. I guess she's just a sweet transvestite.

- R.Blade: I wanted to update this, but there isn't enough room, sadly.

- I really love your suggestion on changing the Magnificent Wood to Premium Wood. I'll see what I can do.

- So that leaves two (Possibly three.) errors I can correct. Nice!

Thanks as always for your report. :)

Edit 1 -

- The term "Premium Wood" is live in the game.
- Corrected the two-period ellipsis and double space. The missing comma in Wain's compliment is gonna have to stay missing for now.

Edit 2 - One of the goals set out by Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup has been very recently met by Rainponcho. "Shrink the dialogue box in half and force it to use the smaller font."

At the moment, rather than remove the larger patch from the equation entirely, I'm considering letting the smaller dialogue boxes patch be optional. The default would be the larger text box and font. Does anyone have any suggestions or objections? Would you personally prefer to use the larger dialogue boxes or the smaller ones?

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:48 pm

vivify93 wrote:At the moment, rather than remove the larger patch from the equation entirely, I'm considering letting the smaller dialogue boxes patch be optional. The default would be the larger text box and font. Does anyone have any suggestions or objections? Would you personally prefer to use the larger dialogue boxes or the smaller ones?

That looks amazing! Someone is clearly a genius. I like the idea of it being optional, though I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

And now for the daily report.

It seems you have successfully renamed the forest, "Rosplett Forest," in all instances but this one. Though it may not be possible here. Also, "Rosplett Shrn." seems to be untouched everywhere despite the same character length as the forest.

Image Image
So how do we use this Egg Dragon item to defeat the "strongest monster"? I can't tell if he meant to say "Egg Key" was the item, or if he meant to say the strongest monster was the Egg Dragon. Probably the latter.

Image Image
lol, maybe remove "time"?

I have more, I just ran out of time. I'll post them later.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Thank you kindly.

- I fixed the Egg Dragon's text, but I have another question. Do you think I should make "two hundred" into "one hundred"? It seems the devs forgot there was an Egg Dragon quest in Lufia 1.

- I was able to expand both Rosplett Frst. and Rosplett Shrn. into Rosplett Forest and Rosplett Shrine, but apparently "Rosplett Shrine" isn't big enough to have a space in between the double-digit floor names, so they run up against the word Shrine. "Rosplett Shrine10F" for example. Do you think that's fine? I think it'd be OK because Rosplett Shrine seems to only have 10 floors. I'm also concerned that Rosplett Forest might spill out of the text box.

- Would you be able to share with me your save file, preferably with a suspend save outside of Gologolo Cave? I want to test something.

Thanks for your report. :)

Edit - I'm going to email you a "Beta 2" (Not different enough to be called a "Gamma" just yet.) that has some errors fixed. For one thing, I decided to change Paresia Shrine back to Parethea Shrine, which I always preferred. Turns out, Master says "Go to the Paresia Shrine.", and "the" of course isn't needed there. So I got to change it back! Woo-hoo!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 pm

vivify93 wrote:- I fixed the Egg Dragon's text, but I have another question. Do you think I should make "two hundred" into "one hundred"? It seems the devs forgot there was an Egg Dragon quest in Lufia 1.

Yeah, I noticed that. I was wondering as to their reasoning for it. If it is indeed as you say, which seems likely, I agree with changing it. Remember, though, there is a place where it mentions Maxim as the last human it encountered.

vivify93 wrote:- I was able to expand both Rosplett Frst. and Rosplett Shrn. into Rosplett Forest and Rosplett Shrine, but apparently "Rosplett Shrine" isn't big enough to have a space in between the double-digit floor names, so they run up against the word Shrine. "Rosplett Shrine10F" for example. Do you think that's fine? I think it'd be OK because Rosplett Shrine seems to only have 10 floors. I'm also concerned that Rosplett Forest might spill out of the text box.

Seems ok to me. Anything is better than "Rosplett Shrn." I never noticed Rosplett Forest spilling out any where.

vivify93 wrote:- Would you be able to share with me your save file, preferably with a suspend save outside of Gologolo Cave? I want to test something.

Sure thing. I'll send it as soon as I'm done.

vivify93 wrote:Edit - I'm going to email you a "Beta 2" (Not different enough to be called a "Gamma" just yet.) that has some errors fixed. For one thing, I decided to change Paresia Shrine back to Parethea Shrine, which I always preferred. Turns out, Master says "Go to the Paresia Shrine.", and "the" of course isn't needed there. So I got to change it back! Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the second beta. =) I'm going to try out Rainponcho's patch for a while, see if it grows on me. Oh, and I just finished the Ancient Cave today. "Go to the Paresia Shrine" seemed perfectly natural to me, but it works just as well without the "the". I also prefer "Parethea" to "Paresia".

Ok, let's see how many I can get done before work....

Found another unnecessary space. Between "Prince" and "Alheim".

This just sounds odd. At least use an apostrophe, Eggy.

Image Image
I just noticed that it appears these two descriptions should be swapped. I wonder what's up with that?

Whatever item was here is gone now. It must have been the Croquette chest on B50. That's strange. What's up with that, anyway? A Croquette you can't keep?! That's not even fair. (Sorry, not an error.)

Just one? You're able to get more than one. At least add an "s"? Or perhaps change it to "Legendary Weapons!"? Or "Mythic" or something, if "Legendary" has too many characters.

I'd better stop here. I'm almost caught up again. lol

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 am

- Eggy actually says, "Ha ha ha... Humans are funny. Two hundred years ago, a guy named Maxim said the same thing." when you ask to fight him. Hero never fought Eggy, so changing him to saying it's been 100 years since he last saw a human would still be accurate. At any rate, I corrected it.

- There's no spillover with Shrn. expanded to Shrine, but I just noticed that all floors in both Parethea Shrine and Rosplett Shrine will have the floor number scrunched up against the dungeon name. (Rosplett Shrine1F, etc.) I find that looks unprofessional, so unfortunately I'm going to have to revert those dungeons' names to Shrn. for now. Rosplett Forest is fine expanded since it just says things like "Rosplett Forest 2" and has no floor indicator.

- Thanks for the save! I wasn't able to do what I had hoped with Gologolo Cave, but your save might prove useful regardless. :)

- " Alheim", "Humans era", swapped DivineHelm / Godly Helm descriptions, "Best weapon!" - All fixed.

Thanks again so much for your report. :)
Last edited by vivify93 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:43 pm

vivify93 wrote:- Thanks for the save! I wasn't able to do what I had hoped with Gologolo Cave, but your save might prove useful regardless. :)

If you took a look at my items, you might have noticed the amount of DragonRings I have. When I discovered you could get them by Cooking CopperDrgns... well, let us just say that Wain and friends enjoyed quite the feast that day. The CopperDrgn may be considered an endangered species now.... Once, a passing Buffalo pointed and laughed at the CopperDrgn Seena was chasing with knife and frying pan.

I'll try to get a few posted later on today. Until then.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm

That reminds me, I wanted to run the updated "Egg Dragon has an item related to it" line by you.

This person now says... I heard the strongest monster, known as the "Egg Dragon", hid an item related to it.

Originally, I wrote "hid" as "has", but I feel like that implies the Egg Dragon is currently in possession of the item, rather than "You need to seek out and find this item." While this changes the story ever-so-slightly, I feel it conveys that you need to go and find the Egg Key to continue this quest. Any thoughts, Swordmaster?

Edit - I wrote Rainponcho about some bugs in the Lufia III small dialogue boxes patch. He fixed them up and it seems to work really well now. It can be applied on top of the existing patch.

v1.1 of Rainponcho's small dialogue boxes patch: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2458872586

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”