Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:17 pm

vivify93 wrote:That reminds me, I wanted to run the updated "Egg Dragon has an item related to it" line by you.

This person now says... I heard the strongest monster, known as the "Egg Dragon", hid an item related to it.

Originally, I wrote "hid" as "has", but I feel like that implies the Egg Dragon is currently in possession of the item, rather than "You need to seek out and find this item." While this changes the story ever-so-slightly, I feel it conveys that you need to go and find the Egg Key to continue this quest. Any thoughts, Swordmaster?

Is it not possible to write it like this: "I heard there is an item related to the Egg Dragon, which is the strongest monster."? This is the closest to vanilla that I can think of. But if you think the hint needs to be clearer, how about: "I heard about a key which is needed to find the strongest monster, the Egg Dragon." I think I prefer the latter. Not to say that your suggestion doesn't work. It just doesn't seem like the Egg Dragon had anything to do with the whereabouts of the key, or at least that's not clear. But what do you think?

vivify93 wrote:Edit - I wrote Rainponcho about some bugs in the Lufia III small dialogue boxes patch. He fixed them up and it seems to work really well now.

Awesome! I was actually going to address this. Now I don't have to. =) I was going to say that I really like it, if only <insert issues> were fixed. I can't wait to try out the new patch.

And now for a more productive use of my time (that is a very foreign concept....)

Image Image Image Image
First of all, "Make A.C. 200L."? I really can't think of a better solution, though. Secondly, "Ancient freak"? Really, Wain? What does that even mean? I like "Roguelike freak", but that's sort of fourth-wall breaking. Since "Ancient Cave freak" probably won't fit, maybe "A.C. freak"? lol, or maybe ditch "freak" altogether and go with "masochist"? And lastly, another "..." with no space after it. There are so many of these. He even did it right in the very next text box! These are all really just nitpicks, though.

Another line implying only one weapon.

Image Image
Two more Egg Dragon oddities. The chest containing the Egg Sonar is the only chest in the game, as far as I know, that doesn't chime by using the Chest Sonar. In addition, if you leave the room without obtaining the Egg Sonar... well, I hope you didn't want it. Eggy will never offer it to you again. And in the second image... defeating Egg Dragon will net you an Ice Attack scroll at a rate of 100%, as far as I know. ...What?! Could it be any more random?! Surely it's a mistake. I wonder what you're supposed to get, if anything. Who even knew you could win scrolls from an enemy? I mean, it could have at least been Fire Attack. Sorry, I know this is beyond the scope of the project.

Not an error. I just wanted to say that I love this description. I don't know why this one stood out, or even if this is vanilla or not (lol), but it is perfect. It's too bad there isn't enough space for everything to have a perfect description. Now... there is another reason for this image. Is it possible to fix the attribute abbreviations? REG --> RES, CLT --> CRT, etc. I am choosing to be an adult by not making a comment about that last one. It's not easy for me to pass up a joke. lol

Not an error. Did you add Jerin's name? If that was you, nice touch! I like it.

Uh... Those damn reptilians. ::effeminate voice with a lisp:: "I'm a sssnake~!"

Image Image
lol, someone forgot to register a trademark. Now we got knock-off Metal Mails. Yes, I sold all my items except for these two just for a side-by-side comparison. Besides, I only use gear with the word "metal" in it! That's how hardcore I am. A wise man once said, "You can't kill The Metal. The Metal will live on." and "The Metal will strike you down with a vicious blow." May the D live forever.

...I apologize for the sightly higher level of crazy. lol, I probably need to sleep more.... At any rate, my time is up. Until next time. ::bows::

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby vivify93 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:48 pm

- I think I'm going to end up leaving the Egg Dragon line the way it is for now.

- "That's where the best weapon is.", GlasssErng, two Metal Mails - Fixed, thanks. The GlasssErng was my own fault. (Now GlassErngs.) The second Metal Mail was apparently Full-metal Mail in the Japanese version. Since there's not enough room for that, I named the second one Alloy Mail. This one was kind of my fault and kind of not--apparently, Metal Mail and Mtl Mail existed in the vanilla game. I simply expanded Mtl Mail without double-checking first.

- I did add Jerin's name! The original description was "Artea attacks all enemies." Which, uh... was dumb as hell. The Japanese version referenced Jerin originally, so when I redid these, I thought it would be a good idea to add her name in too.

- CLT has been fixed for some time now--changed to CRT on the status screen. REG I thought stood for Resistance Energy. Besides that, I'm not sure how I'd change REG since it has a graphic in battle.

Thanks again for your report. :)

Edit 1 - "DFP+REG up for you & surrounding" was in the original, believe it or not. Apparently there was a slash between DFP and REG originally that I changed to a plus. On a related note, the best Force ___ IP Skill right now says DEP and REG rather than DFP and REG. I just fixed that. :)

Edit 2 - I just looked into the other Divine equipment's descriptions. Apparently the Divine equipment all say things similar to "Given by the gods." So these weren't swapped. It's strange, yes, but I'm putting them back for now.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:13 am

vivify93 wrote:I named the second one Alloy Mail.

That actually sounds really good. I like it.

vivify93 wrote:I did add Jerin's name! The original description was "Artea attacks all enemies." Which, uh... was dumb as hell. The Japanese version referenced Jerin originally, so when I redid these, I thought it would be a good idea to add her name in too.

lol, I don't remember that. That is dumb. By the way, I was so impressed by the description I actually didn't even notice the grammar error.

Should be, "Has Artea's & Jerin's power."

vivify93 wrote:CLT has been fixed for some time now--changed to CRT on the status screen.

It has? ::checks:: Well I'll be a sun-dried pickle, it has! Nice!

vivify93 wrote:REG I thought stood for Resistance Energy. Besides that, I'm not sure how I'd change REG since it has a graphic in battle.

Resistance Energy? I guess that makes sense. Besides being a typo for RES, I thought maybe they were going for Religious...ness or something. lol, what a dumb guess.

vivify93 wrote:Edit 2 - I just looked into the other Divine equipment's descriptions. Apparently the Divine equipment all say things similar to "Given by the gods." So these weren't swapped. It's strange, yes, but I'm putting them back for now.

Yeah, sorry about that. I have an error report that I haven't gotten to yet on the PearlBrace with a similar message. I'll just go ahead and post it.

Should be, "Gift from the gods." They left out "the". I'm assuming the DivineHelm was previously part of the Pearl/Prl set. So my previous suggestion of swapped descriptions was wrong. But you already know that. lol, you'd think they would at least be consistent with the wording. Also, isn't it strange that the old man in the Ancient Cave actually sells the PearlBrace? If you have, I think, between ~6,000G to ~8,000G (I might be off a tier) when you talk to the old man, the last item on the list is the PearlBrace. I have a suggestion, if you want this set to share the same name. Instead of "Pearl" or "Divine", how about "Holy"? "Divine" is the best, but there are too many characters for some of the set. Unless you're ok with "DivineBr." or something. But, I mean, "PearlBrace" is ok too....

Bah, I spent too much time on that last one. I'll try to catch up again tomorrow (my first day off).

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:38 am

In Lufia 2 the Pearl Brace is... a Pearl Bracelet. Without anything divine at all. So unless Lufia 3 really changed something there, it still should be a Pearl Brace. This also explains its cheap value.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:03 pm

According to Crysta Blade, (Formerly known as Suicune Girl, apparently!) the Prl Brace and its Japanese counterpart go as such.

Divine Bracelet
A bracelet that was a gift from the gods.
Prl Brace
Made of pearl.

I heard somewhere that "Divine" and "Pearl" can be translated out to the same thing, which is why I expanded it to PearlBrace. Another issue, as Swordmaster pointed out, is that equipment only lets you use 10 letters, so I would have to shorten Divine Bracelet as DivneBrace, DivineBrac, DivineBrce, etc. One thing I could do is just pretend the Prl Brace isn't a part of the Divine set, I suppose, and just change its description back to "Made of pearl." But I'm not sure.

Alternatively, we can keep it as Pearl Brace and I'll change the description to be less weird. "The gods' gift", with no period, would also fit.

Personally, since you can buy it, I'm considering reverting its description to "Made of pearl."
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes, Pearl and Divine both can be translated out of the same thing (shinju).

According to kwhazit this is its Lufia 2 text in Japanese:

Pearl Bracelet
A bracelet made from pearls.

So my guess is that there might have been made a mistake by the developers of TLR when writing their description texts. Especially if the Pearl Brace is cheap and has crappy stat boosts.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 pm

All of these are very good points, and I am personally leaning towards keeping it "PearlBrace" (along with reverted description). However... it is a Blue Chest item--or at least, it can transcend the Ancient Cave. That makes it seem like it might belong with the Divine set. But then, it's practically worthless. A bit of a conundrum, this. I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions. lol. Oh, and to buy it from the old man, you have to have a very specific amount of Gold (which I guessed at in the previous post at about 90% confidence). Curious about what all ojiisan sells, I talked to him with many different Gold totals. I'm pretty sure I have seen all his wares. [I deleted everything I typed after this because it got really insane really fast. You're welcome.] You'll know when you've reached the last shop list when you see the Dragonslay for sell.

Ok, enough of my nonsense. lol, here are some reports.

Image Image Image
lol... what? All of these are a bit weird, but this one might be the most extreme. Make up your mind, ya dumb rock! But seriously, it is holy elemental, since it allows Seena to use Zap. Woot! With the original translation as "Dark Card", it makes me wonder what they were thinking. Surely it must just be a difficult translation. By the way, I really like Randolph's Moonlight sword. It has a nice ring to it. Sorry, Artemis-san. (I wonder if you got my lame joke?)

This will be the last mention of those crazy "best weapon!" Shouldn't there be an "A" preceding this sentence? Not to mention.. those two periods..

Not an error. A glitch, maybe? I laugh every time I see it. There was once a spell scroll there, partially stuck in the wall. We pulled and pulled... then finally wrenched it free. It was in there good. Took part of the wall with it. Too bad it was a spell we already had.

Uh... what just happened? Did the person who named this have a stroke as they were typing? lol. Incidentally, I managed to save a state right before opening this chest, if you want me to send it. The text seems to be fine at the inventory screen... not that the other letters would fit, mind you.... Any idea what this is?? lol

Image Image
This sort of thing is all that is left keeping Rainponcho's patch from being perfect. I wonder if it can be fixed. In dungeons, it's the enemies that vanish. In the space we gained by shrinking the text box, certain sprites will still disappear as if being obscured. Oh, and just to be clear, it also does this with the lower text box. I just got lazy and didn't snap a shot of it. =P

I'm fairly certain this is the only item to not pluralize "prevent". You could even remove the period if you needed space, if I am understanding this process correctly.

First of all... does it really need to tell me that rubies are red? Secondly... "protects from misfortune"? So... is it really protecting me from something? Or is it just flavor text? I don't get it. Next up: Holy Water - "Wet. Protects from bad<no period>"

And that is all I have so far. I hope my craziness at least got a smile out of someone. lol

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 pm

- I bet the other Ultimate Equipment have the wrong name when you pick them up, too. Thanks for this report.
- I've let Rainponcho know about that error yesterday; at school right now, but I'll inform you of his progress if I can when I get home.
- I can change Blue Beret (And Red Beret.) to pluralize "Prevent" if you think it would match better, but honestly it doesn't matter to me.
- "Protects from misfortune" is a translation of what the Japanese version said, apparently.
- War Driver ampfschrb looks like a self-induced issue of mine of not putting in the right byte to cut off the German text.

Edit 1 - Actually, I think I might change "Prevent fire." and "Prevent ice." to "Blocks fire." and "Blocks ice." It sounds a lot less nonsensical.

Edit 2 -
- "Blocks fire.", "Blocks ice.", "Made of pearl.", updates to the ultimate equipment intros are live in the game. I had to overwrite some German text for the last item on this list, but it should be fine. Though I won't know for certain until I can pick it all up... which won't be for some time. Not sure why the CapsulRing was called a ball originally; I wasn't able to introduce the word "a" in front of it, or Yurist's weapon, but it's now correctly called a ring.
- I also slightly changed the Artea Bow's introductory text to "Legendary elf souls sleep here..."
- Fixed "War Driver ampfschrb". It's now just "War Driver".
- Rainponcho hasn't gotten back to me yet, but he knows.
Last edited by vivify93 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:42 pm

vivify93 wrote:- I bet the other Ultimate Equipment have the wrong name when you pick them up, too.

You would win that bet.

vivify93 wrote:- Actually, I think I might change "Prevent fire." and "Prevent ice." to "Blocks fire." and "Blocks ice." It sounds a lot less nonsensical.

I like this idea. If space wasn't an issue, we could have something like "Adds resistance to ____." On that note, does it actually block those elements? Or does it only decrease damage from them? If it is the latter, perhaps use "Resists ____."? Or even drop the "s" or "." or both, depending on available space. Or, you know, just ignore me since all of this is trivial. lol

vivify93 wrote:...updates to the ultimate equipment intros are live in the game. ...Though I won't know for certain until I can pick it all up... which won't be for some time.

I think I still have a saved state right before picking up the first 4, if you want it. Or if you'd rather me check on it.

vivify93 wrote:- I also slightly changed the Artea Bow's introductory text to "Legendary elf souls sleep here..."

I like this.

I haven't played any since the last report, so I have nothing new. I'm going to play some tonight, though. There was something I forgot to mention concerning the master of the Ancient Cave. If you choose "Nothing.", every character except Egg Dragon gets 1,170,000 EXP. That's such a random number. And I wonder why Eggy doesn't get it? Not that he needs EXP at all.... Just wanted to get that off my chest. lol

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm

A save file would be more helpful; you could make a suspend save, (Press Select to bring up the map, press Start to suspend save.) which is also stored in your game's .SAV file. I use BGB for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, so save states between that and whatever emulator you're using aren't compatible.

Edit - "Resists fire." and "Resists ice." are live in game, by the way. I liked those changes a lot! And there's enough room to spell it out both plural and with punctuation! :wink:

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 pm

vivify93 wrote:A save file would be more helpful; you could make a suspend save, (Press Select to bring up the map, press Start to suspend save.) which is also stored in your game's .SAV file. I use BGB for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, so save states between that and whatever emulator you're using aren't compatible.

Understood. Suspend save created and sent your way. The emulator I've been using is VisualBoy Advance v347 (x64). Of the ones I have tried, it's the only one that runs well on my "budget" laptop. I don't think I've even heard of BGB, but I'm going to try it out. The one I'm using is buggy as hell. I've had to retake a few screen shots due to graphical glitches showing.

vivify93 wrote:Edit - "Resists fire." and "Resists ice." are live in game, by the way. I liked those changes a lot! And there's enough room to spell it out both plural and with punctuation! :wink:

Both??? 'Tis a miracle!

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:54 pm

It turns out that the original line for the Artea Bow was "Elf's soul sleeps here..." So I ended up changing it to "Elf souls sleep here..." I didn't actually introduce the word "Legendary" in front of the line. I thought it was there to begin with due to how complex the innards of the game can look at times. So I reworded it slightly to say, "Elves' souls sleep here..." This required more overwriting of German text, but it's no big deal I suppose. Especially since I confirmed that, yes, all the new text works just fine. Thanks so much, Swordmaster. :)

I patiently await your next report.

Edit - v1.3 of rainponcho's patch is out. It seems to work flawlessly now. http://www.bwass.org/bucket/LTLR_SmallD ... s_v1-3.zip

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:52 am

The Ancient Cave has been draining all of my free time, which hasn't been as much as I would like. So I don't have very much for you. The good news is that I have defeated the Master, and I'm at about B110 or so. Once I defeat Iris, I'll be back on the main game. Here is what I have so far:

Not an error. I was wondering if you had any plans to fix up Egg Dragon's name display in the status screen. I think this is the only place that says "Egg Drag".

Wraps around... what? This one is incredibly minor. And you probably couldn't add "the head" or whatever, even if you wanted to.

Image Image
There are many items that claim to enable a certain spell, but instead enable a weaker or stronger version. I have started working on a detailed item list which shows whatever spells become enabled by each piece of equipment. Also, it seems that if an item enables a spell, it also empowers that spell. I only tested the Trick Ring, but I'm guessing it works with the others as well. This behavior is similar to that of Lufia I (I think?).

I guess if you consider MAP "strength"... but then I dunno if I'd consider 25 all that much. Looks as though we might have a poor translation here.

I wonder if you could at least replace the comma with a plus, or even "&". Just a suggestion.

Oh, and one more thing. I could have sworn I took a screen shot, but I guess I didn't. I recently obtained a DivineShld. The stats were even worse than the PearlBrace, by a good bit. I'm beginning to wonder about the whole Pearl/Divine thing. I really didn't expect that shield to be so bad. At any rate, that's all I have for now. Until next time. ::bows::

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:44 am

I just looked into the item issue. It seems that the following items give wrong descriptions.

VulcanRing < Enables Fireball, not Vulcan (Fixed, reverted to F.BallRing as a result)
Glacr.Ring < Enables Blizzard, not Glacier (Fixed, reverted to Blzrd.Ring as a result)
ThundrRing < Enables Bolt, not Thunder (Fixed, reverted to Bolt Ring as a result)
DiamndRing < Enables Zap, not Fry (Fixed)

In addition, the Spark Card, Flash Card, and Gale Card are all misleading in not only their names, but descriptions. They enable Firebird, Skywrath, and Ice Valk, respectively.

Edit 1 - But it looks like this is the result of me changing the text. The Japanese version's descriptions are "Possesses Spark power.", "Possesses Flash power.", and "Possesses Gale power.". Using the names Fu-Lay, Le-Gio, and Ree-Det in place of the English names, of course... I'm considering playing it straight and just going with what they enable. It seems more useful and less misleading.

Edit 2 - That's done. The Flash Card's description is pretty crappy. "Enable Skywrath". No plural, no period. But it works I guess.

Edit 3 - Since there's not enough room to write out "Skywrath Card" and the like, I think I'm just going to neutralize Ruby's elemental Cards and call them Fire Card, Ice Card, and ThundrCard.

Edit 4 -

- Egg Drag: I can't fix Egg Dragon's name in the menu, believe it or not. This is the first thing I wanted to correct; it looks like his name label in dialogue is shared with his name label in the menu.

- Turban's description: I could change this to "Fabric wrap for head" or something, but it's not really that major in my opinion.

- Power Robe's description: I thought about changing this, but apparently the Japanese description was something like "A robe full of power." Not that different.

- Regain Mail's description: Not something I would care to fix, sorry! :p

Unrelated, but I just did the first 50 floors of the Ancient Cave myself to get the Godly Helm--and fixed it being called the God Helm incorrectly when the waitress gives it to you--and oh my lord, Lufia III's AC is so much fun. It's so much better than Lufia II's AC, in my opinion.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Edit: Originally, I forgot to add end quotes. It was a mess. I reposted, but I couldn't delete the previous monstrosity. In lieu of a delete, there is this message. My apologies for the double post. ::bows::
Last edited by Swordmaster on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”