Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.5, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby Swordmaster » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:21 pm

vivify93 wrote:VulcanRing < Enables Fireball, not Vulcan (Fixed, reverted to F.BallRing as a result)

I could have sworn I found a F.BallRing in a normal chest during an earlier run through the Ancient Cave. Maybe I'm just remembering from another Lufia game. I have a terrible memory.

vivify93 wrote:- But it looks like this is the result of me changing the text. The Japanese version's descriptions are "Possesses Spark power.", "Possesses Flash power.", and "Possesses Gale power.". Using the names Fu-Lay, Le-Gio, and Ree-Det in place of the English names, of course...

I had a feeling this was the case.

vivify93 wrote:- That's done. The Flash Card's description is pretty crappy. "Enable Skywrath". No plural, no period. But it works I guess.

lol, good enough. It can be, and has been, much worse.

vivify93 wrote:- Since there's not enough room to write out "Skywrath Card" and the like, I think I'm just going to neutralize Ruby's elemental Cards and call them Fire Card, Ice Card, and ThundrCard.

I like this idea. It's not like there are multiple tiers of these cards, anyway.

vivify93 wrote:- Power Robe's description: I thought about changing this, but apparently the Japanese description was something like "A robe full of power." Not that different.

It must be something like "chi" or "spiritual power". At any rate, "power" works much better than "strength". But of course, it's very trivial, so it doesn't really matter.

vivify93 wrote:Unrelated, but I just did the first 50 floors of the Ancient Cave myself to get the Godly Helm--and fixed it being called the God Helm incorrectly when the waitress gives it to you--and oh my lord, Lufia III's AC is so much fun. It's so much better than Lufia II's AC, in my opinion.

Isn't it, though?? lol, I'm having so much fun. I hesitate to say it's better, but it certainly is close. If Lufia II's AC and Lufia III's AC were merged, taking only the good aspects from both, it would be perfect. About the Godly Helm: I can't believe I missed that. Good catch! =)

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v0.20, Lufia I Restored - v2.0)

Postby vivify93 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:33 pm

At any rate, I'm excited you and I are both nearing the end. I'm about to go pick up Isaac, and while I'll go get the Glass Ruby, I'm personally going to wait on finishing the Ancient Cave until after the game is beaten. I think I outlined my plan before, but before we lose Seena--like right before we go to face Guard Daos--I'm going to save in a second slot, and that will be my Ancient Cave file. :)

Edit - By the way, I just sent you a "Beta 3" with the updated equipment names and descriptions. Thanks for your hard work! :D
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 pm

vivify93 wrote:By the way, I just sent you a "Beta 3" with the updated equipment names and descriptions. Thanks for your hard work! :D

Oh, thanks for that! I'll download it now. =) It's been fun helping. Thank you for the truly hard work of fixing up this mess of a game. It's actually legible now! It's really a shame we'll never see another frue Lufia game.... My secret, unrealistic dream is to write an epic story for an 8-bit or 16-bit style JRPG. lol

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Just remembered a while ago I said I was gonna check an old folder with screenshots of spelling errors, but I think Swordmaster probably already listed all of them =P
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:08 pm

lol, sorry about that, SinReVi-sama.

I am sort of a fan of yours. I've read countless posts of yours over the years, and I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel. On GameFAQs, I go by SwordmasterAbel. The point I'm trying to get to is: You have a lot of knowledge on the Lufia series. This game that vivify93-senpai and I have been playing is not only riddled with errors, it is also riddled with mysteries. Have you any insights you could share? Or is there a better place in which I may find answers?

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 am

So, turns out that I had expanded Siantao Kngdm. to Siantao Kingdom, and what I didn't realize is that "Alstadt" and "Siantao" are the same letter length. I looked into it and apparently I could've expanded "Alstadt Kngdm." to "Alstadt Kingdom". So... I did! Whoops. At least it's done.

Heading for the Ancient Maze now. Wish me luck!
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:50 pm

lol, I actually noticed that. But I figured you already knew about it and there was a reason it was left intact. I guess I should have mentioned it.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:58 am

Hey, I just read that you can get a BunnyBlade from a waitress if you try to go to Azoles Cave before the Monster Track? How does that work?
Last edited by vivify93 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:04 am

I don't know how wide the time window is, but if you go there as soon as you get Deckard's ship there is someone blocking off the rest of the passage. They will give you a BunnyBlade "for your efforts" or something like that.

Edit: I think the event is removed by entering Redwood. It would be interesting to find out if this is true or not. I wish I had a save that far back. I wasn't thinking about documenting such things that many hours ago.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30 am

In that case, the timeline seems to be, go to Elcorano and do the events there, then go to Azoles Cave as soon as Mistra Cave is clear? I had no idea this could be done, so I missed out on this forever. Whoops. At least the BunnyBlade isn't all that great.

Edit 1 - Finally almost at the Fortress of Doom. I missed a fair bit of text, but I got at least 95% of it. I can't wait to finally beat this.

Edit 2 - About "Call me an Ancient freak." I was able to actually squeeze "Cave " between "Ancient " and "freak" by removing the spaces in between Wain's "He he he..." and taking advantage of an extra space in the dialogue. So it makes a bit more sense now. Also fixed some "definately" typos, as well as a self-induced spillover with the new Artea reference replacing the Arty reference. I also fixed "townfolk" to say "townsfolk," but I'm probably not going to bother with "faraway" or "everyday". "Townfolk" was the biggest offender, seeing as how it isn't even a word.

Edit 3 -
So I got to the credits and I noticed that Rainponcho's mod to make the dialogue boxes smaller also sliced the 8x16 "GAME OVER" and credits font in half. The first time I saw it when I got a Game Over, I thought it was an emulator glitch due to dying. But no, this was the result of the hack. Rather than beg Rainponcho to reinvent the wheel--yet again!--I decided to just make the 8x16 credits font into an 8x8 font. Turns out, the original bold 8x8 font that vanilla Lufia III used for its menus is stylistically really, really close to the credits' font. So, this is the result.

I think it looks quite nice. This will only be for the small dialogue boxes patch; the original-size dialogue boxes patch will have the original 8x16 font.

Anyway, I finished the game! I'm getting ready to release v1.0 now, as well as v2.1 of Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Restored.

Image Image Image

(Yes, I fixed the "Victorys" typo in the last screenshot. :P I couldn't expand it to "Victories", so we have a bit of a compromise.)

Edit 4 - Submitted to RHDN. I'll update the opening post when they go live. Also, I've sent you the official v1.0, Swordmaster. :D

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:48 am

Looks like I'm little late to the party. lol

About the new credits font--It really does look nice. Good job patching that up so quickly. Also, thanks for the v1.0. =)

I'm finally done with the Ancient Cave, and I do have a small number of reports.

Image Image
I just noticed this message was a little clunky. Though I'm sure it's good enough as is.

Image Image Image
lol, that last one is especially descriptive.... Sarcasm is difficult to convey in written form.

Outside of the Ancient Cave, I obtained several DragonRings by fighting CopperDrgns. I decided to try the same thing in the Ancient Cave... but for some reason they drop Damage Dice scrolls as their rare drop. That... is very strange. There has to be something wrong here. I've been documenting random drops since the beginning of the game, and I can say with a good amount of confidence that there is a maximum of two different drops for each enemy--a common drop (usually Potion or Ex-Potion) and a rare drop. CopperDrgns drop Potions and DragonRings outside the Ancient Cave. Apparently they drop Potions and Damage Dice in the Ancient Cave. I would really like to know what's going on here. But I digress; this is beyond the project at hand.

Finally, a real error report.____. (For some reason it wouldn't let me have 4 empty spaces between periods, so I used underscores.)

Is there a "begin quotation" mark in the text data? If there is, this would be an error. If not... that would be weird.

Is this right? Seems like it should say something like, "Holy power keeps enemies away." Or maybe, "Holy power keeps enemies from appearing."

And that's all I have. I'll be getting back to the main game. Unless you missed something, I may not have any more reports. (Since you've already finished the game, I mean. Congratulations, by the way!)

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.0, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Postby vivify93 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Hmm, I dunno. I like that the Rainbow's description is strange and mysterious. It looks like the last genuine error is Iris' extra period, and... I don't wanna release v1.1 just for that. :P But I think I just might do it anyway, after you finish your playthrough with v1.0. I kinda wish I would've waited, but I was so excited to release this. I think you understand.

I changed that quotation mark to look like a regular quotation mark rather than the open/closed type. It should be in the latest build I sent you. :)

One thing I wanted to say before you reported it is... In the small dialogue boxes patch, you'll see later on that Zalbak's sprite covers up part of the message window--I don't really care enough about that to ask Rainponcho to figure it out, as unprofessional as it looks.

Swordmaster
Soldier

Re: Lufia I & III Patches (Lufia III Text Cleanup - v1.0, Lufia I Restored - v2.1)

Postby Swordmaster » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:40 pm

vivify93 wrote:I kinda wish I would've waited, but I was so excited to release this. I think you understand.

lol, I do. My apologies for taking so long. I have been busy with stupid, annoying reality. I'm really close to finishing the game, and I have several screen shots to post (all from the latest v1.0 you sent me). I will begin posting them as soon as I have the time.

Edit: Ok, I have enough time before work for just one. So I picked the worst error.

Image Image
lol, some kind of overflow, maybe? (This is in Redwood)

More later.... (not today, but hopefully tomorrow)

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:50 am

Fixed, thanks. :) Patiently awaiting your next report!

Swordmaster
Soldier

Postby Swordmaster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:45 pm

I am now completely done with the game. Therefore, there are a finite amount of error reports. Let's see how many I can post.... But before that, I would like to share my ending results. I hope everyone reading doesn't mind.

Image Image Image
It's so frustrating that we cannot find all the hidden treasures. Also... 82 Blue Treasures? That seems a bit high.

And now for the errors....

I think he means, "become". Otherwise... "It became the Ultimate Ship." Or, "It's now the Ultimate Ship."

(Not an error, sorry) I went to sell some items I had 99 of... and these two items were at the top of my item list. I have no idea where they came from. I even already had those items farther down the item list. Sorting caused them to combine with what I already had. I reloaded a recent save, trying to recreate it. I tried everything I could remember doing since saving last, but it never happened again. So weird.

Image Image
Why is she capitalizing every word? I mean, at least use a comma between "Come" and "Children". I guess Sinistrals are beyond such things as proper use of the English language.

So close. You just needed one more comma, after "Amon".

Uh... what's with the extra exclamation point, Wain? Did you just realize something right after you shouted, "Yeah!"? Or did you mean to shout, "Yeah!!" with two exclamation points... and the second one just fell off?

So many comma placement errors... There should be one after "however". (By the way, there are way more comma-related errors that I did not record. I only recorded the ones I thought stuck out.)

lol, he sounds like a robot or something. What a dry translation.

This may not be an error, but... I think he means "malice". I've never heard of anyone feeling menace. It just sounds odd. But then, it could very well just be me.

Yup... another missing comma.

Looks like this may be the last two-period ellipsis..

You forgot your question mark, Yurist.

Gonna have to stop here for now. Sleep is desperately trying to take hold. I'll post more later. (Sorry most of them are so underwhelming. Looks like you've already caught nearly all the big fish.)

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”