A question for Lufia fan about the meaning of Estpolis?

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xellos667
Villager

A question for Lufia fan about the meaning of Estpolis?

Postby xellos667 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Something I always wondered, but since I never dug info on the japanese version of Lufia, I never find the answer. Estpolis, is it the name of the world where the games take place, or is it the Japanese name of Doom Island? I was playing the english DS game, and at one point they said that Doom Island could either be a good or bad place. Well with an english name like that, I'm sorry, but Doom Island can only be a bad place...except if it has a different name in the Japanese version. So is Estpolis actually Doom Island or the whole world?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: A question for Lufia fan about the meaning of Estpolis?

Postby SinReVi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Doom Island was never Doom Island in the Japanese version. Doom Island is called Sky Island/ Island in the Void/Island in the Sky in the Japanese version.
It's just a translation from the first game that sticked with the english versions that came after Lufia I.
I could see why the humans would call it Doom Island, but I guess it was a bit weird Daos calling his own island Doom island, since he thinks he is protecting the world <_< Also in Lufia DS they say that good gods lived there =P (who are probably the Sinistrals before they were Mad Gods)(in the Japanese games they were called the Four Mad Gods/Gods turned Mad) so...

The Fortress of Doom was just Daos' Shrine in the Japanese version, and they changed it back to Daos' Shrine/Shrine of Daos for all English Lufia games after Lufia I. But there are a lot fans who still refer to Daos' shrine as the Fortress of Doom.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Doom Island name never bothered me ever before in the series...not until the DS version with its notion of good Gods turning bad (which I like, but the name Doom Island in the english translation now become a little bit ridiculous).

But the main question remain (though the answer is now obvious). Does Estpolis is the name of the world?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

I think so.
Other than that, the "Est" part is probably from Esteel. (long ago, Neverland Company wanted to make a game, Esteel, for the PC-whatsitsnumberagain. However, then the snes appeared which was more powerful. In the end, Esteel for the PC was cancelled and moved to the snes and was named Estpolis instead)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm

thanks for this extra info, oh well of infinite Lufia knowledge :D

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 pm

I know Lufia and the Fortress of Doom was named after the co-heroine Lufia. Then the name stuck until today. It's still unknown what Estpolis means.

Though call it fan boy speculation, but I understand now why Neverland continued to call the series Lufia. I might have to hide it in a spoiler though.

Spoiler and Speculation BS wrote:Lufia was indeed Erim at the end of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. In Lufia II/CotS Iris was revealed to be Erim as well, same with Seena. Perhaps all the main legends of Estpolis Biography is remembered because Erim journeyed with the heroes of all three games. But Erim cannot publish these stories herself, instead she publishes under the name Lufia. So all three biographies of Estpolis were told by Lufia not Erim in that sense. Erim is the Sinistral of Death, but she is the only Sinistral to stay close to the heroes.

EDIT: The spoilers have to be a light purple now. :?:

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Good read, though, I would like an official word on the real meaning of Estpolis...It's almost certain at this point that this is the world...but who can tell at 100%. And since the game bombed hard in sales, I guess we will never know the answer in another title.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm

xellos667 wrote:I guess we will never know the answer in another title.

*psst* Do what Final Fantasy and Metroid fanboys do and make everything up with an erotic twist.

*remembers Atrea in a bikini*

Damn you SinReVi!

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29 pm

mmmmk, I see. Well for Final Fantasy, I like those games (not my favorite series, but still ok), but indeed all the melodrama can become really tedious, and not one character looking really like your everyday joe.

As for Metroid, the series had a problem ever since Samus started to talk way back with the first game on GBA. So it's a lost cause. ANd the sexy pause, well it was a fun bonus when you had to work for it, but nowaday, they seem indeed to put a lot of emphasis on the fact that she's a woman, so we need to see her without her suit as much as possible. Which is of course totally ridiculous.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Estpolis means: "The World Where Male Elves Named Artea Like To Wear Tiny Bikinis Bunny Suits And Dresses"
Source: Dekar and Guy

Uh... Now for a serious answer.

(if Estpolis is the world itself)
In the English (and other languages than Japanese) manuals/guides and other stuff, they talk about Lufian Legends, the World of Lufia, Lufia's World, etc etc.
If anyone knows Japanese, you should check if they just changed every mention of Estpolis into Lufia.

Known continents in the world:
Westland (Lufia I)
Northland (Lufia II, Lufia DS, Lufia RoL)
Southland (Lufia TLR)
Eastland (mentioned by a NPC in Siantao in Lufia TLR)
Estoland (mentioned in Lufia TLR and Lufia DS. Estoland is known as the unexplored continent)
Midland (mentioned by a NPC in Lufia TLR.)
In Lufia DS, Jaffrey says he thinks there are more undiscovered lands and that there are a lot of different civilizations out there.( He also says that "most people who go to the sea don't come back so there isn't a lot information" <_<)
Also checked the Japanese versions, Eastland was spelled different than Estoland, so Estoland is not Eastland.

But in the Japanese version I saw Jaffrey mentioning Westland,Southland and Estoland. So maybe in Lufia DS's timeline, they only know about Northland, Estoland, Westland and Southland, and the undiscovered continents include Eastland and Midland.

(The meaning of Lufia)
Assumed to be from the Old English "lufian" which means "to love"

(the meaning of Estpolis)
Now that I think back about it, there actually IS official word on this.
Around the Japanese release of Lufia DS, the director/scenario writer (Masahide Miyata) was active on twitter, for promoting the game.
http://twitter.com/MIYATA_ESTPOLIS
The account seems to have been emptied recently <_< you can only read messages that are faved by people I think?
Fortunately, I'm such an idiot freak who went saving his page as a file on my computer. Which means I can still check all the messages. *throws page into google translate*

Anyway, back to topic, someone asked what Estpolis meant and the answer was that Estpolis means 「東の都」 (if I have to believe translate machines, I get translations like "Eastern Metropolitan","City of the East" "East City" and "East Capital")

Since Miyata is the director and scenario writer for Lufia I,II,TLR and DS, it's official enough for me =P

I think Est does mean East in some languages.
And a polis is ummm.... *can't really explain in own words* read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polis

Maybe, whoever started making the world/civilizations of Estpolis how it is now showed in the games, started their civilization in the east of the world?

(But now I wonder, is there also a North-, South-, West-, etc- polis?)

Also, that tweet was shortly followed by this tweet: "Estpolis is located somewhere in the world ... it should ^ ^; "

So perhaps Estpolis is just a part of the world, not the whole world. Some people say that the island where the game Energy Breaker takes place, is also somewhere in the same world Lufia takes place in, since there are Priphea in that game. Besides that Lufia herself and Roman make a cameo in the ending of that game.

A different interpretation of that tweet is that he just means that there where already Estpolis DS game cartridges around in shops, but still unavailable for customers until the release date, and he just wanted to get people excited for the release of the game.

--

Some other random information from there is that the name Navaroa is from a real fish named Arowana,but then backwards spelled (in japanese), he liked writing dialogue for Tia, and that the release date wasn't planned from the first day, but still picked very early. (the japanese release date was exactly one day after Estpolis II's 15th anniversary)

-

~ OUT NOW! 2010

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I didnt thought that such a simple question could mean so much confusion about the meaning. Thanks to your "freak" attitude, we have more details from the creator himself. All this reading about the meaning of Estpolis made me love the series even more, to discover the mysteries behind it all.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Now, if only we can get a Lufia game that takes place in Estpolis.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, well, seems like the messages from the account are suddenly back.

Got the information from this: http://twitter.com/MIYATA_ESTPOLIS/status/9460376484

Now, for something that's gone: The Japanese Lufia TLR site.
It actually has been closed for a long while, but you could still view it with archive.org. but now archive.org won't let you access that old site anymore, since Neverland Company updated their website last time... At least I have the concept artworks of characters that were shown on that site...

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Canaris
Red Jelly

Postby Canaris » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 am

SinReVi wrote:Doom Island was never Doom Island in the Japanese version. Doom Island is called Sky Island/ Island in the Void/Island in the Sky in the Japanese version.
It's just a translation from the first game that sticked with the english versions that came after Lufia I.
I could see why the humans would call it Doom Island, but I guess it was a bit weird Daos calling his own island Doom island, since he thinks he is protecting the world <_< Also in Lufia DS they say that good gods lived there =P (who are probably the Sinistrals before they were Mad Gods)(in the Japanese games they were called the Four Mad Gods/Gods turned Mad) so...

The Fortress of Doom was just Daos' Shrine in the Japanese version, and they changed it back to Daos' Shrine/Shrine of Daos for all English Lufia games after Lufia I. But there are a lot fans who still refer to Daos' shrine as the Fortress of Doom.

"Doom Island" was coined by Lexis Shia after it brought "doom" to the town of Barnam.

The fun things that one remembers.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:16 pm

^
1. His name is Lexis Shaia
2. It's called Barnan, not Barnam
3. Besides that you totally got the wrong city, Daos attacked Chaed, not Barnan.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”