Funny things

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Funny things

Postby SinReVi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm

A list of funny/weird things in the Lufia games =P

- Lufia II is the only game where Gades isn't the first boss you fight. (not counting Ruins of Lore since the Sinistrals don't even appear in that one)

- Lufia II and Lufia DS are the only games without pirates

- In Lufia DS, Tia makes you go to Albert to get some herbs. Which is probably a reference to the herbs mentioned in the beginning of Lufia I.

- in the Ancient Cave from Lufia DS, you can check out a stone which says something about Dailasek version blablablah... Anyway, Dailasek is an anagram of Arek's japanese name Alekdias.

- The name Navaroa is from a real fish, if you reverse the katakana (arowana)

- In Lufia I and Lufia TLR, you find out that Maxim was wearing the Wave Ring when he died, you can also see it in the equipment screen in the beginning of Lufia I. (in TLR, the ring was renamed Red ring in the Englisg translation though) Meanwhile, in Lufia II and Lufia DS, the games that focus on Maxim since he's the main character, Maxim never obtains the Wave Ring.

- In Lufia TLR, Deckard can obtain a useful IP Skill which is named D-End Flash. This is actually the very same IP skill Dekar is able to use with his Dekar Blade in Lufia II. The Japanese name of the Ip skill is Dead End Flash, however in the English version of Lufia II it was translated as Fatal Blow.

- In the Japanese version of Lufia I, Guard Daos actually uses attacks from Gades, Amon and Daos, just like he does in Lufia TLR. In the US version, Guard Daos mostly spams Amon's Flood and his Chaos attack, which was renamed Figual for this battle.

- There is an unused spell Figual, which lets you confuse enemies in Lufia I. You can "learn" this spell (and some others) by using cheat codes. So I guess that's where they got Figual's name from in the US version, since the confusion attack Amon and Guard Daos use is named Chaos Black in the Japanese game.

- In Lufia I and II, all elves are blonde except Artea.

- If I have to believe google translate, in the Japanese version Raile was trying to give Jerin a potion that makes your chest grow, not a potion that makes your hair grow.

- In Lufia DS, during the wedding scene a soldier, Tony, interrupts the weddingscene saying they need Selan. Then he, Maxim and Selan, Guy and Dekar run off to fight the monstesr. Meanwhile, if you pay attention to the background, you'll see that Ruben DOESN't help out =P Instead, he is still standing there and crying. You'd think that he, being part of the army, would go with Selan and Tony =P

- In Lufia II, during the scene with Dekar and Tia, you're able to see Jessy in the background ready for the next scene, which makes it looks like she's eavesdropping or something.
In Lufia DS, in this scene, there is a crowd around Maxim and Selan when Dekar walks away to Tia. If you look at the background later in the scene,after Dekar and Tia start walking, everyone who was standing in the park is gone, except Maxim. So now it looks like Maxim is eavesdropping on Dekar and Tia (if he's able to hear what they're saying from that far)

- In Lufia I, Artea is able to equip all kind of female equipment. But you'd need to use cheats to get the equipment. (my guess is that the Lufia II party is able to equip the same items as the Lufia I part > Maxim = Hero, Lufia = Selan, Guy = Aguro, and Jerin = Artea)

- You can already see Guy's grave before he's dead.

- In Frederia, you can buy a Gown and Ribbon in the shop. Which were actually a Bunny Suit and Bunny Ears in the Japanese version. So Raile lets the shop in Frederia, which is a village for Shaia staff, sell bunny equipment =P

- In Lufia I, when you get Cooper out of the Old Cave, you can get a little dialogue between him and the cleric of Bakku, if you go there instead of bringing Cooper to Raile right away.

- In Lufia DS many if the villagers NPCs are named after characters from earlier Lufia games (not necessarily Lufia II ) and some other Neverland games.
Elcid
Albert: Albert is the name of one of the main characters from (the canceled) Lufia III Ruin Chasers. The Albert from Lufia III is an elf.
Melissa: In Lufia TLR, Melissa is the name of Fugo and Etral's daughter.
Marin: In Lufia RoL, the dancer in Gruberik is named Marin.
Kreg: In Lufia II, Kreg is one of the men in Narcysus.

Parcelyte
Abel: He is the little boy who played with the key from the shrine north of Alunze... and then lost it. There's also a different Abel in Lufia RoL, who lives in Ordens, this Abel has a older brother named Cain.
Curtis: Curtis is the last name of the main character from Lufia III, whose full name is Cion Curtis. (the main characters from Lufia III have last names)
Lamitty: This is Lemmy obviously. Lamitty is Lemmy's Japanese name, but Natsume didn't change it to Lemmy this time.
Daniels: In the Japanese version, he's actually named ハリー which is how Halley's name is spelled in the Japanese version of CIMA The Enemy.
Zepel: Works for the King of Parcelyte in Lufia II

Bound Kingdom
Myra: This is the name of the main character from Energy Breaker.
Monica: In Rune factory 3, the sister of the "main girl" is named Monica
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Re: Funny things

Postby Artemis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Also the name "Magic Gale Bullet" which is one of the tank's attack in Lufia II probably is a mistranslation.
Considering that the sealing of magic is referred as freezing in the US version, they probably intended it to be something like "Magic Freeze Bullet", but somehow got confused with the spell Gale. At least I think it could have been this way somehow.

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Wow, that's a lot of interesting info.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

- In the English version of Lufia DS, when you have a new cartridge, you're forced to watch the intro with Gades.
In the Japanese version you were able to skip it by pressing a button, so if you were pressing buttons right when starting the game, you could start the game without even knowing the scene where Gades introduces himself to the earth.

- In the Japanese version of Lufia DS, if you stay on the titlescreen doing nothing, it would just fade out after a little while and show the intro again. In the English version you'll just stay on the titlescreen and the music will loop.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 am

SinReVi wrote:- In Lufia TLR, Deckard can obtain a useful IP Skill which is named D-End Flash. This is actually the very same IP skill Dekar is able to use with his Dekar Blade in Lufia II. The Japanese name of the Ip skill is Dead End Flash, however in the English version of Lufia II it was translated as Fatal Blow.

Thanks for this; a new version of the Lufia TLR cleanup hack is warranted now. :D

SinReVi wrote:Curtis: Curtis is the last name of the main character from Lufia III, whose full name is Cion Curtis. (the main characters from Lufia III have last names)

Really? So if Cion was a descendant of Maxim, that would make him...Maxim Curtis. Maxim Curtis, Selan Curtis and Jeros Curtis. Mr. and Mrs. Curtis. ...Has a ring to it. What are the other characters' last names?

Artemis wrote:Also the name "Magic Gale Bullet" which is one of the tank's attack in Lufia II probably is a mistranslation.
Considering that the sealing of magic is referred as freezing in the US version, they probably intended it to be something like "Magic Freeze Bullet", but somehow got confused with the spell Gale. At least I think it could have been this way somehow.

This is in TLR too as Evil Seal Shell, or "Magic-seal Shot" as I have it in Lufia II. What was it called in Frue Lufia?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. "Magic-seal Bullet."

Interesting information guys! :D
Last edited by vivify93 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 pm

シオン=カーチス
セシル=リンガム
リリー=リン
ユウ=シャイア
ミシェル=レグナス
アルバート=ロス

This are their Japanese names (they're listed like that in a Lufia III booklet from Tokyo Game Show http://www.rpgdl.org/est3/img/estpolis3.pdf ), but there are no "official" English spellings of the last names known. (Except for Shaia because that one has been used in Lufia I and II.)

However,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferricide/ ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferricide/ ... 154448628/
Judging on these two photos, the first letter of Albert's last name would start with a R and not a L. Also you can see the "Cur" from Cion's last name =P

Okay, my take on their names:
シオン=カーチス (Cion Curtis)
セシル=リンガム (Cecil Lingam) (Seems like リンガム is Lingam in katakana, found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam )
リリー=リン (Lily Lynn)
ユウ=シャイア (Yu Shaia)
ミシェル=レグナス (Michelle Regnas)
アルバート=ロス (Albert Ross) (actually I like Loss better, but his name starts with a R in that photo so...)

Speaking of last names:
Many times you see people saying that Lexis and his descendants are the only ones with last names (that are mentioned ingame). This isn't actually true.

- Kirmo also has a last name but it isn't mentioned in the English version. His full Japanese name is Kevin Norman.
- Lufia DS makes me think that Rochy is Rochy's his last name, not his first. Sometimes they speak of the Rochy family. Also, his Japanese name is Kaneamarl. You remember the fat man from Lufia RoL? his japanese name is Kaneamarl too, but Atlus translated it as Mr. Cashwell this time. Also his son is called Mr. Cashwell's son.

More name related stuff:

- Kirmo's name is Mirko in the german version.

- In the Japanese version, Piara is called Prea. So if you put the names of the princess and queen together then... Prea+Marla=Preamarla, so that is close to the name of the town, Preamarl

- In Rune Factory 3, sometimes random travelers will visit Sharance (the village in Rune Factory 3). Some of these travelers share names with NPC villagers from Lufia DS.
So far I've seen a Scott, Sally,Oscar and Jill. And a Joseph but Lufia's "Joseph" is spelled Josef, so...
and if you catch a dragon (the big green one) the default name is Tia. One of the monsters has Amon as a default name.
Since in Japan Rune Factory 3 came out before Lufia DS, it might be Lufia was referencing the random travelers from Rune Factory 3 though.

Actually, Rune Factory has some more Lufia references. (especially the first two games, Masahide Miyata was the director of these two and also the scenario director, so that might explain it. For the RF games after 2 there is a different director and scenario writer, although Masahide Miyata is listed as the Series Director)

- Aaron, the son of the main character of Rune Factory 2, is named Arus in the Japanese version.

- Camus from Rune Factory 1. His Japanese name is spelled the same as Camu.

- In Rune Factory 2, there are statues in the final dungeon, which look a lot like TLR's Gades, especially the official artwork of Gades (pose and all)
I think it's a reference and not a coincidence. Rune Factory 2 mentions that the final boss is also known as the god of fire and destruction.
So the final boss of RF2, who is the god of destruction, has statues of Gades who is also the god of destruction in his dungeon =P

- Sera and Serena's (from Rune Factory 2) japanese names are Muu and Suu. Put their names together and it sounds like Muusu, Mousse/Foomy's japanese name.

Okay, that's enough Rune Factory =P

- You can skip the dungeon where you have to find a purple newt and still progress the game (in Lufia I)

- Yasunori Shiono's birthday is on the same day as the Japanese release date of Lufia I

- In Lufia DS, of the characters in your party who are in a relationship, Dekar and Tia are the only ones that you don't see saying "I love you" during the game.
Maxim x Selan is obvious
Guy says it to Jessy if you talk to her after the scene with Maxim and Selan in Elcid. (just go to Parcelyte instead of back to Lexis' laboratory and going to Doom Island
Dekar and Tia don't say I love you
and Artea is single =P

- In one of Wain's diary entries, he says Ruby is hot. (I wonder what Seena would think if she read Wain's diary =P And he also wrote that Seena is kinda violent somewhere)

- In one of Maxim's artwork for the Dutch and German version, Maxim's cape is purple instead of blue. My guess is Nintendo of Europe changed the color of that piece of artwork so it fits more with the boxart but then forgot to change it back for inside the booklet. (the Dutch and German box have a lot of red/orange, so I guess a purple cape goes better with it than a blue one?)

On the left, Maxim with purple cape (and shoes). He wears a blue cape in the same artwork for any version that isn't the Dutch or German.

- The Dutch strategyguide says that Artea is often called Arty, which is shorter.
(Artea's name does not have a "a" sound on the end in the Japanese spelling. But I give up on the pronunciation of his English name because Natsume used both Arty and Artea in Lufia DS.)

- In Lufia DS, Alex's clothes look very similar to Dekar's clothes. He looks a bit like a mini Dekar to me =P
(Also, Dekar and Alex's clothes are a different style than the clothes of the other people in Bound Kingdom. (the style of the clothes of Leon, Josef and the Bound Kingdom army)
Makes me think that Dekar wanted to wear his own style of clothes instead of Bound Kingdom clothes. And then Alex imitated Dekar, because he looks up to him.)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 am

SinReVi wrote:シオン=カーチス
セシル=リンガム
リリー=リン
ユウ=シャイア
ミシェル=レグナス
アルバート=ロス

This are their Japanese names (they're listed like that in a Lufia III booklet from Tokyo Game Show http://www.rpgdl.org/est3/img/estpolis3.pdf ), but there are no "official" English spellings of the last names known. (Except for Shaia because that one has been used in Lufia I and II.)

However,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferricide/ ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferricide/ ... 154448628/
Judging on these two photos, the first letter of Albert's last name would start with a R and not a L. Also you can see the "Cur" from Cion's last name =P

Okay, my take on their names:
シオン=カーチス (Cion Curtis)
セシル=リンガム (Cecil Lingam) (Seems like リンガム is Lingam in katakana, found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam )
リリー=リン (Lily Lynn)
ユウ=シャイア (Yu Shaia)
ミシェル=レグナス (Michelle Regnas)
アルバート=ロス (Albert Ross) (actually I like Loss better, but his name starts with a R in that photo so...)

Thank you so much! I need to restart my Ruin Chasers story now. :p
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm

- In Lufia I, you'll only find Kings and Princesses. You never see a queen or prince in Lufia I.

- In Lufia TLR the ingame portraits of the characters look close to their character artwork. Except Wain's clothes look definitely different from what he's wearing in his character artwork.
Or at least, his final design that is =P I recently found out that his portrait actually looks like a older version of artwork of Wain, that was shown on E3.

Guess they didn't bother updating the ingame Wain portrait after they suddenly changed Wain's artwork...

-

~ OUT NOW! 2010

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Wow, that makes sense now.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:09 pm

- According to Lufia I, the Dual Blade adds 0 weight. Which means Dual Blade should weigh (close to?) nothing. Which could also explain why in Lufia DS, Maxim is able to fight with that huuuuuuuuge Dual Blade singlehanded.

- Lufia II is the only game where you can't hear the Fortress of Doom theme near the beginning of the game (not counting Lufia RoL here, since it's a gaiden which doesn't have the Fortress of Doom music)

(Lufia I, in the beginning scene with Maxim and his team, Lufia TLR has it during the intro when it tells of the Doom Island Wars, and Lufia DS plays it in Soma Shrine on the path that leads to Gades. The earliest you can hear it in Lufia II is if you reach the final floor of the Ancient Cave. Otherwise you won't hear it until you reach Doom Island at the end of the game)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 pm

- Although Artea is female in the german version of Lufia II, the German Strategy Guide (which is included in the game release itself) still refers to Artea as male, except for in his character description.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Apparently, spells are referenced more often in the Japanese version of Lufia DS, according to SinReVi.

- Whenever someone teleports, Swing (Warp) is mentioned.
- Iris puts Leefa to sleep with Sley (Drowsy).
- Tether is the Japanese name of Lexis' Escape item.
- And of course, we know soul shards were originally Deldey (Rally). SinReVi suggests the Order of Runa is trying to revive someone... Interesting stuff!

All credit goes to SinReVi and her awesomeness. :D
Last edited by vivify93 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crysta Blade
Red Jelly

Postby Crysta Blade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 am

-Hidden within the game file, the Japanese version of TLR has dummied spells (there doesn't appear to be descriptions/spell data for them):
ウオ・ム (Wo-Mu)
ウオ・ルム (Wo-Rum)
ウオ・ルド (Wo-Rudo)
エウオ・ルド (Ewo-Rudo)
Water-based skills were planned at some point. Like the three main elements, a fourth spell would've been included.

リセト (Reset)
Perhaps dungeons weren't intended to be random?

アテレート (Aterut/Elf)
This FoD spell was also going to make a comeback.
Also known as Suicune Girl.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm

I remember reading about that long ago (on gamefaqs???) but couldn't find the spells myself (because I checked the EU version <_<)

- And of course, we know soul shards were originally Deldey. SinReVi suggests the Cult of Runa is trying to revive someone... Interesting stuff!

Just a correction, when I mentioned "Cult of Runa" to you, I meant "Order of Runa" =P
I mixed up a bit because I was reading stuff from before the English release, and some people translated it as "Cult of Ruth" (Ruth is Runa's japanese name)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Duly noted and I have edited! :D

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”