Lufia II and DS 20th and 5th anniversary

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Lufia II and DS 20th and 5th anniversary

Postby SinReVi » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 pm

LWF was closed for a while so I couldn't open a topic when the Lufia series turned 20 in 2013, but at least now I can open a topic for Lufia II's 20th aniversary =P

Going by japanese release date, Lufia II turned 20 in february of this year, and Lufia DS turned 5 the day after.
(and the NA version of Lufia DS actually turns 5 years old this month)

You can post memories or other things in this thread.

Here's Chris' reaction when I told him about Lufia DS =P
Ahgnmjbv says (22:52):
Hey!
Chris says (22:53):
Hey!
Ahgnmjbv says (22:53):
Just wanted to tell something.
A new Lufia game has been announced
Chris says (22:53):
yeah right
Chris says (22:54):
holy crap
you're right
WOW

(why was my name Ahgnmjbv on msn? I have no idea!)

This is my little anniversary project I did in february, I did a Lufia II/DS drawing for each day of that month. (that reminds me, I should update my fanart topic one day =P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DzRe9M_So
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Re: Lufia II and DS 20th and 5th anniversary

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Oh wow! Awesome job! I especially love the one with the goblin complaining to the regal goblin.

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

...Ahh so awesome. I do so love that huge art, it's amazing. I do so like the way you draw Dekar (pink-hair and blue-with-red versions both) but then again... Dekar.

As for memories... The German version has 'Kampfork' (Fighter Orc) which of course is split 'kampf-ork' but which I couldn't help but read 'kamp-fork'. Cue laughter. And who could forget Artea the female elven fighter?

...But my best Lufia 2 memory, by far, is going into the Ancient Cave in Gift mode with Dekar as my number 4 party member. The German version also has the config menu glitch there, and suddenly Dekar had his name changed to eDkar. Also works with Selan (eSlan), don't know if it works with the others. :D ahh fun times!!
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:09 pm

They're actually 28 separate A4 drawings, I just didn't want to upload 28 separate images to the internet =P
Also, I decided to do that project on the 1st of February, so I didn't plan ahead. So... some of my markers died during that month =P (Like on the Dekar/Alex picture, the background was first going to be a purple-ish color, but that marker died while I was coloring, so I went over it with blue markers. Several blue markers also died that month XD)
Markers are my preferred coloring material nowadays =P

Fun fact: Actually, back in 2013 I wanted to do a similar project for Lufia I's 20th anniversary (doing one Lufia fanart for each day of the month, though for the whole series not just Lufia I fanart) but I didn't have the time back then and my time went into one single anniversary drawing anyway. So I never started project, but that was where I got the "1 Lufia drawing for each day of the month" idea from =P

My own favourites are:
4-2 (Dekar and Alex)
8-2 (Maxim and Selan)
16-2 (Younger Lexis, Tia and Maxim)
18-2 (DS cast in Lufia II poses) I've had the idea to draw this since back in 2009 shortly after Lufia DS was announced, the only problem back then was... Artea's design was still unknown! Well, he actually did appear in the first trailer, but because of all the redesigns going on... and you could only see Artea from the back)

14-2 is also a Valentines Day drawing and 11-2 (Berty and Bart) is a remake of this 9 year old drawing: http://img12.deviantart.net/f166/i/2006 ... esteel.png

Oops, I nearly forgot I also did this, which I used as a cover for the project:
(I don't like how Guy came out, he looks weird because of Selan and Artea in front of him, and I didn't notice it until after I did the line art)

Oh hey, Guard Daos, I was curious if you've finally played through Lufia DS in English =P

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Ahh, that looks so awesome, SinReVi! (Guy doesn't look awkward, no worries :wink: )

I'm also very partial to the Young Lexis, Tia and Maxim one. He looks like such a great guy. And then there's...
...the Camu and Idura one. I beat both of them yesterday. (Seriously, I'm playing through the German version on ZSNES now. Yesterday morning, I'd just finished the Sundletan Cave (aka Höhle nach Tarika) and I ended right after Maxim, Guy and Dekar swore to defeat Gades. PLUS I leveled my party to level 30 to try and win the first battle against Gades (failed miserably). ...Ten full hours of my life spent pursuing... uh... Bound Kingdom. Das Königreich Rusalka. With the strongest army of the entire world. Ahem. :oops: (...I should just up and admit 'I didn't want to quit playing until Dekar was part of the party' but...)

...Ooh, the Guy, Hilda and Jessy pic in your 20th anniversary cover pic!!

(...That Dekar and Alex pic looks superb now that you mention it :3 )

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Nope, still haven't played it! I just don't want to spend so much money on a game I already have....
In hindsight, it would've been better if I'd waited for the English version. I was just too excited.

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Aww Guard Daos, you should play it in English! It's great! :mrgreen:

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaat!
This is unforgivable!/Selan voice from that scene with Gades in Parcelyte

Get over here Guard Daos so I can give you a present! (somehow I ended up with uh... 4 NA copies of Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals. You can have one if you want?)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:25 am

Really? Holy Red Jelly stew, that would be awesome! I really want to play it. It's time I knew exactly what they're saying!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Sure, you're a good friend and you helped me get the Japanese version back then (and I remember you were proud you got an actual Japanese copy before I did =P) So you better get it before I change my mind =P (And you'll finally know what the heck Amon was doing on a rocket=P)

Anyway, I got my second copy just in case my own copy stops working.
But I never removed the seal and then I got used to seeing it like that. Then I wanted to do a normal playthrough (not NG+) again, but on my main copy the first savefile is from my first English playthrough and I want to keep it as a memory, the other savefile is for all subsequent NG+files so I'm not deleting that either, so I got a third copy!
The fourth... I ran into a 2nd hand sealed Lufia DS copy in real life and was like: Aha you're going home with me!
(if this wasn't Lufia... no way I'd buy 4 copies of the same game, of the same region=P)
also I'd rather buy a brand new copy for about 40 euro or less in 2010/2011 than an used possibly damaged copy in idk 2020? I mean Ruins of Lore is over 10 years old now and even that, as the least favored Lufia game, goes for much more money than a couple of years ago! (if you're going for a CIB version that is)

Shade-Duelist wrote:
...Ooh, the Guy, Hilda and Jessy pic in your 20th anniversary cover pic!!

(...That Dekar and Alex pic looks superb now that you mention it :3 )

I wanted to draw Guy with Hilda and Jessy in that month, but I didn't end up drawing it after all, so I drew a chibi version at the cover =P

That Dekar and Alex pic took forever! Mainly because of Dekar. It took me a lot of time to figure out what to do with Dekar's arm too =P

(pic on its own)

Also, I remember when I was done with that picture I was like:
"Dekar, Alex, you two look terrible and full of errors!
*after looking up some older drawings of Dekar and Alex*
You know, never mind that. Compared to those old drawings this looks like a master piece!"

(art progress featuring Prince Alex of the Bound Kingdom)

When I was a kid, I always wondered why the heck the English subtitle was "Rise of the Sinistrals" (this was when I was younger than 10)
I thought "rise" meant the same as the Dutch word "reis"... So I thought the title actually meant Lufia II Journey of the Sinistrals =P
So I always asked myself: Why do they call it Rise of the Sinistrals? Maxim is the one who travels around, not the Sinistrals! They should've named it Lufia II Rise of Maxim instead!

And for a very recent memory: I finished my 25th Lufia DS playthrough exactly 5 years after I got my NA copy! AND I EVEN TRIGGERED NEW ALTERNATE DIALOGUE I HAVEN'T SEEN IN THE 5 YEARS I'VE PLAYED LUFIA DS IN ENGLISH! WHAAAAAAAT! (it was just a few lines about Artea and Maxim wondering if the Albert they were talking about is the same as the one who lives in Elcid. Usually Artea already knows about Albert. I probably triggered that dialogue because this time I never talked to Albert while both Karyn and Artea were in my party)

(most of my Lufia DS playthroughs were actually done in 2010, the year it was released. I know 11 of them were Japanese playthroughs I did before the NA release)

This year I dreamed that Natsume released Lufia II on the WiiU Virtual Console for the 20th anniversary, and if you paid them one euro/dollar extra, they'd even send you a physical copy!

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:46 pm

SinReVi wrote:And you'll finally know what the heck Amon was doing on a rocket=P

...You know, I didn't like Amon as much in the DS remake. Definitely not as cool-looking anymore (heavily due to absence of polearm. Polearm makes anyone look cooler - case in point being Guy). Then again, he is a hell of a lot more sinister. (Pfff my eldest brother :P 'Sinistrals being all sinister'... I couldn't stop laughing...)

SinReVi wrote:(art progress featuring Prince Alex of the Bound Kingdom)

*gives two thumbs up* You art better than I art. Also, I have to admit it's seeing your art that makes me want to cosplay Dekar (pink-hair version) but then I feel like I'm not giving enough love to my fave blue-and-red-hair version of the strongest man in two different dimensions! (Also, I kind of bought a foam sword that I intend to modify and repaint into the Dekar Blade... but armor is a *insert swear word here* to make and I'll probably screw that up so pink-hair Dekar is my safest bet... and there's no rule saying that pink-hair Dekar can't also use the Dekar Blade, no? :mrgreen: )

Which leads me to another interesting anecdote...

I saw the booklet art for Dekar before I met him in-game, and as such I imagined his sprite would also be dual-wielding. Now, I've got nothing against axes, but dual-sword-wielding is so much cooler... :wink:

And another funny anecdote: my brother and I both couldn't speak a word of German before we played Lufia 2 in German. So half of the time we were just running around aimlessly. We had no idea what we needed to do to solve the puzzles. (Thank the Lord for the booklet XD) Now, though, half of the puzzles are imprinted in my memory. And my German has definitely improved. I now have the German and Dutch versions of the game on ZSNES and the North-American version (for the lvl0 glitch and breezing through the game. And kicking Gades' armored behind from Gordovan to the ends of the earth.) and I'm so looking forward to playing the Dutch version just to get to see the conversation when Dekar stops Idura at Bound. It's amazing in German so it should be awesome in Dutch.

(I looked up the Dutch intro on youtube - some kind user put it there for all of us to enjoy :wink: and I read all of the intro conversations in appropriate voices. My Dekar probably sounds freakin' hilarious because I can't get my voice to the right depth but who cares?!)

SinReVi wrote:This year I dreamed that Natsume released Lufia II on the WiiU Virtual Console for the 20th anniversary, and if you paid them one euro/dollar extra, they'd even send you a physical copy!

Don't do this to me... my gamer heart aches at that... if Lufia gets released on a new console, I'm going to have to buy that console. And Lufia.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Shade-Duelist wrote:I saw the booklet art for Dekar before I met him in-game, and as such I imagined his sprite would also be dual-wielding. Now, I've got nothing against axes, but dual-sword-wielding is so much cooler... :wink:

When I was little, because of a screenshot in the Dutch strategy guide I thought Dekar would rejoin the party later with a new hair cut! (now, what I was actually looking at was Artea's battle sprite on a shop screen which didn't say his name)

I also flipped through the pages of the guide before actually finishing the whole game and saw the pages with Gades, Amon, Erim and Daos with descriptions of the final battles. I didn't think anything of Amon, Erim and Daos (who I didn't even meet yet) the only comment I had was "Hey it's Gades again!"

I got the Australian version of Lufia II earlier this year, so... I now own all regions of Lufia II! But my Spanish copy is cartridge only though. (The Spanish version tends to be expensive when it does show up online, but I got a cartridge only version for 12 euros at some random Dutch webshop =P) Maybe I'll buy a complete copy of Spanish Lufia II one day, but I'm not in a hurry to buy that =P
I mean, the Japanese version is the original, the NA and Australian versions are in English, Dutch is my own language, and I understand German... but the Spanish version would be mostly for collection purposes since I don't understand the language!

Still looking for the Canadian version of Lufia DS, but as far as I know the only difference is the backside of the packaging so I'm not in a hurry to buy this either. I'd like to buy one that's already in Europe to avoid import fees haha.
Actually, now that I think about it, when I get that Canadian Lufia DS I think I'll have all the Lufia games in all regions =P (not counting Japanese only phone releases, that is. And the Spanish Lufia II would not be CIB)

I'm also going through the German version of Lufia II, but at a slow pace, I do want to finish it before the end of this year though. I'm at the part where I just met Lexis. The German version doesn't always follow the English translation of the game and I don't always agree with it (like why did they turn Artea into a woman? And Dual Blade is called "Lufia Sword") but one thing I like is that (nearly all of) the hint tiles are written in rhyme =P

SinReVi wrote:And you'll finally know what the heck Amon was doing on a rocket=P

...You know, I didn't like Amon as much in the DS remake. Definitely not as cool-looking anymore (heavily due to absence of polearm. Polearm makes anyone look cooler - case in point being Guy). Then again, he is a hell of a lot more sinister. (Pfff my eldest brother :P 'Sinistrals being all sinister'... I couldn't stop laughing...)

I think Lufia DS (and TLR) did a better job with the Sinistrals than the snes versions. I mean you get to see Gades destroy stuff in Lufia II but Lufia DS (and TLR, but especially DS) shows what makes Amon the god of Chaos and Daos the god of Fear better than the snes games. But I do prefer Amon in his golden armor =p

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:37 am

SinReVi wrote:Actually, now that I think about it, when I get that Canadian Lufia DS I think I'll have all the Lufia games in all regions =P (not counting Japanese only phone releases, that is. And the Spanish Lufia II would not be CIB)

Did I hear someone say 'hoarder' there in the distance? :wink: No, wow, I am in awe. A collection like that takes time, dedication, a lot of money. You go! 8)

SinReVi wrote:I'm also going through the German version of Lufia II, but at a slow pace, I do want to finish it before the end of this year though. I'm at the part where I just met Lexis. The German version doesn't always follow the English translation of the game and I don't always agree with it (like why did they turn Artea into a woman? And Dual Blade is called "Lufia Sword") but one thing I like is that (nearly all of) the hint tiles are written in rhyme =P

I love that about the German version too! Also, the part where Dekar and Guy rejoin the party. In the English version, after the 'my love is my sword' quote, Guy says 'you should stay away from thoughts like that' (which, okay, is funny) - but in the German version Guy says 'I still think you've got a chick somewhere'. I love it. Also, there is no beating Rusalka iso Bound. Rusalka is just way, way, way cooler a name!

...The reason why they turned Artea into a woman is probably because he can use female-specific equipment as well. And Artea's name sounds feminine. Germans would pronounce it 'arr-TAY-ah', not 'ARR-tea'

SinReVi wrote:

I think Lufia DS (and TLR) did a better job with the Sinistrals than the snes versions. I mean you get to see Gades destroy stuff in Lufia II but Lufia DS (and TLR, but especially DS) shows what makes Amon the god of Chaos and Daos the god of Fear better than the snes games. But I do prefer Amon in his golden armor =p

...True, I do like that about him. He certainly creates chaos in the DS version, not so much in the SNES version. ...But in the SNES version, he got a bigger part at the end, he even shot our heroes' airship out of the sky! That is just villainous! I love it! :twisted: (but not really that much :mrgreen: )

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:36 am

Shade-Duelist wrote:I love that about the German version too! Also, the part where Dekar and Guy rejoin the party. In the English version, after the 'my love is my sword' quote, Guy says 'you should stay away from thoughts like that' (which, okay, is funny) - but in the German version Guy says 'I still think you've got a chick somewhere'. I love it.

Actually "eine meise haben" means "to have a screw loose". So when Guy says "Du scheinst irgendwie eine Meise zu haben" I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean Dekar has a girl somewhere. (I'm not German so correct me if I'm wrong)

From what I remember the German version went like this:
Dekar: My love is my sword!
Guy: You seem to have a screw loose! That's not normal!
Dekar: I don't care!

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:48 pm

SinReVi wrote:
Shade-Duelist wrote:I love that about the German version too! Also, the part where Dekar and Guy rejoin the party. In the English version, after the 'my love is my sword' quote, Guy says 'you should stay away from thoughts like that' (which, okay, is funny) - but in the German version Guy says 'I still think you've got a chick somewhere'. I love it.

Actually "eine meise haben" means "to have a screw loose". So when Guy says "Du scheinst irgendwie eine Meise zu haben" I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean Dekar has a girl somewhere. (I'm not German so correct me if I'm wrong)

From what I remember the German version went like this:
Dekar: My love is my sword!
Guy: You seem to have a screw loose! That's not normal!
Dekar: I don't care!

...Huh. I'll never trust Google Translate again. Darn it. ...Heh, you are right! :lol: Ah well, nothing we didn't know yet. Dekar, the only man that charges in headfirst but without using his head first :wink:

The part I find particularly funny in the German version, though, is the entire 'sinking ship' conversation between Guy and Lexis. It just feels much funnier in German than it does in English.

...Today, I'm finishing the Phantom Tree Mountain! (Aurabaumberg) And after that it's off to... a city I didn't catch the name of yet! (After obligatory party for a few days because what else do you do to kill time...)

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”