Lufia II and DS 20th and 5th anniversary

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Re: Lufia II and DS 20th and 5th anniversary

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:10 am

You know SinReVi, you getting that 2nd hand copy meant somebody else missed the chance of becoming a Lufia DS fan...
But it's still awesome! Thanks a lot!
So wait, Shade Duelist, are you or are you not German?

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Guard Daos wrote:So wait, Shade Duelist, are you or are you not German?

I am Belgian. We live close to Germany, though (-100km away) and German is one of the official languages of Belgium, so...

No, I learnt German in school, but only 2 years after my brother and I bought, played, finished, replayed, finished again, re-replayed... Lufia 2 in German. I learnt more German playing a video game than I did at school! Hah! :wink:
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Ah I see! Then how did your brother get a German copy?

Oh, and... Zijte gij Vlaams, of es-tu... Oh wait, I could've just looked at your profile in the first place. Brasschaat, I see. So we all speak Dutch! How lovely.

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Guard Daos wrote:Ah I see! Then how did your brother get a German copy?

Oh, and... Zijte gij Vlaams, of es-tu... Oh wait, I could've just looked at your profile in the first place. Brasschaat, I see. So we all speak Dutch! How lovely.

Ik zijn Vlaams :D You are, apparently, from the lovely Netherlands - just like SinReVi! Ahh such a wonderful coincidence!

...As for how I got a German copy of Lufia 2: we were on vacation in Germany that year, and my brother bought the game for 20 Mark (back before the time of the almighty Euro, yo!) which was cheap because a game like that, brand new, could easily cost twice as much. And that was the best-spent money ever! We played it for years! We raised our parents' electricity bill visibly because we kept keeping the SNES turned on while doing Ancient Cave runs (we stuck a sticker over the power light so our parents wouldn't notice) and I actually demolished a controller mashing the A button in Lufia. My brother then bought an Action controller with a turbo function. Second best-spent money ever :mrgreen:

dex_dash
Red Jelly

Postby dex_dash » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:36 pm

20th anniversary? Yay! *and also late*

I remember plays this when I was in elementary school, and since I don't understand English that much (and I kinda suck in puzzle), I was stuck with one freaking puzzle before treasure sword for 4 YEARS before continuing! D:
fortunately when I solve that puzzle, I have any courage to finish most (except the secret treasure with moving blocks and all...), and the ending feels worth it. Several months after finishing Lufia 2 I played Lufia 1 without fighting Daos and Guard Daos though, I kept hunting for equipment that I lost all my saving data...
The best experience is that one of the puzzle in Lufia 2 was one of the questions in my junior high math test, how lucky I was :P

I finished Lufia DS in high school 2 times though, I kept going to Ancient Cave hoping for some blue treasures for Guy and Artea might pop up but no, it's a fun experience though :D

Like the fanart SinRevi, though every time I look at Idura, I always thought he wants to throw the book

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:08 am

Guard Daos wrote:You know SinReVi, you getting that 2nd hand copy meant somebody else missed the chance of becoming a Lufia DS fan...

This reminds me of something that happened long ago =P Many years ago there used to be an imported NA Lufia II copy in the local gameshop, which was there for at least a few months. I wanted it, but it was 40... this is so long ago I don't even remember if it was 40 euros or 40 guilders =P Anyway, I was still a kid and I thought it was expensive!
I couldn't make up my mind whether I should buy it or not and then one day it was gone and I was kinda sad but I thought: "Oh well, at least someone else gets to play Lufia II!"

Looking back I would have saved money if I had just bought that game XD Now I ended up with 3 Lufia II NA copies...
First, a NA copy finally showed up on marktplaats (I guess it's kind of like a Dutch ebay), however... it didn't have a worldmap so after some thinking I decided not to buy it since I thought it was too much money for an incomplete copy. ( I think... it was about 70 euro?)
But then my dad bought the game from marktplaats as a surprise present for me, since he knew I had been looking for the NA version of Lufia II for years!

Later, I bought a complete copy myself, but... it turned out the map has some slight damage (I think someone once dropped their drink on it) there were a few light stains, but they weren't bad enough to make me return the game. (The seller photographed the world map in a way the damage wasn't visible. How sneaky =P) Since I had a complete copy now, I didn't search for NA Lufia II copies anymore afterwards.

But then (I guess about 2 years later) I saw a NA Lufia II for sale (in real life) and I just had to ask if I could see the whole thing. Turns out the world map of this copy was like new! I tried buying only the world map, but the person selling it didn't agree with that =P Actually, the cartridge and the manual were also in very good shape. So, guess what I bought that day =P
(this was on a retro game fair, and the funny thing was someone else there was also selling a NA copy of Lufia II (and Lufia I as well), but it was like twice as expensive as the one I bought and it was in bad condition. Nearly 140 euros for a NA Lufia II copy that has a damaged box and is missing a world map? No thanks!)

More memories:
- One day my dad came home from visiting my brother (that would be Bad_Guy =P) and he told me he thought one of my brother's housemates must be a Lufia fan. Of course I was interested in this... until I asked WHY my dad thought one of bad_guy's housemates was a Lufia fan.
He said "Oh, there was a drawing of Dekar on the whiteboard over there!"
............................ guess who drew that Dekar? THAT WAS ME! I drew that Dekar on the whiteboard in the hall when I was visiting bad_guy about one week before my dad did =P

- Speaking of bad_guy... he promised to (finally) play Lufia II with me over this summer... and then forgot all about it :evil: :evil: :evil: (bad_guy has watched me play Lufia games but has never finished any Lufia games himself... and here I thought he would finally finish one of the games XD )

- This was when I was still in elementary school. A boy was sitting on a chair but made himself fall on the floor and then made a lot of noise while waving his arms around. He then said he was imitating Lexis and his exploding engine XD
That boy lived close to my house so he was over here somewhat often, and I guess he remembered Lexis from playing (or perhaps watching me play) Lufia at my house.

- A very early memory! I was 6 years old and had just started my very own Lufia II save file. But then my parents called me for dinner...
I was excited since Tia had just joined my team, and I was looking for Foomy in Sundletan (which isn't even where Foomy is XD).
Of course, I thought having Tia in my team and looking for Foomy was far more interesting than eating some boring dinner, so I answered I didn't want to eat =P
To which my dad replied something like " (insert my name here)! If you eat dinner, you will become just as strong as them [Maxim and Tia]!"

- One time I met someone with a Daos tattoo on his arm. Neither of us were talkative people but I managed to ask for a photo. I'll just link to this topic instead of typing the story again: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1386610

- I got introduced to Lufia II by seeing my dad play the game when I was 6 years old. I remember ever since then, I just kept asking and asking and asking over again if I could play "that" game" (not knowing the title).After a lot of asking ( I don't even know if was for weeks,months or even longer) my dad finally let me play the game and gave me his cartridge. And fortunately for me, Lufia II was in Dutch!
So I wanted that the summer vacation would just end already so I could read and play the game on my own! (the school year that started after that summer vacation is the school year where you get to learn how to read and write =P)
Before I could read and started my own playthrough, I just walked around towns enjoying the scenery and the music. (I was actually not interested in the dungeons at first and I was scared of the menu that shows up when you press X, since I didn't know how to exit it.)
According to my dad, I first played Lufia II when he was stucked at the wall of Dragon Mountain, when he tried to let me solve the puzzle...) I don't remember that exact moment, but I do know that once I discovered Lufia, I guess I just fell in love with it and never lost interest afterwards =P

-Now this memory is about Lufia I, but it involves Lufia II as well.

I first played the Dutch version of Lufia II, which was just called Lufia in Europe. So I had no idea there were actually 2 Lufia games (the other Lufia games didn't exist yet!)
In 1998,this was about one year after I first was introduced to Lufia II, I was browsing through my dad's video game magazines and then I saw an article about Lufia. Even though there were sprites/screenshots of Maxim, Selan, Guy and Artea it looked different than the Lufia game I played and it also said "Fortress of Doom" under the logo. Besides that, there were also sprites of 4 characters I didn't recognize (Hero, Lufia, Aguro and Jerin =P). I didn't know English so I had no idea what the article was really saying =P Even after over 1 year, I was still really into Lufia (II), so I was just really really reallyyyy excited to find out there was another Lufia game out there!

I told my dad I wanted to play this Lufia game. My dad had a CD with snes roms, so he looked for the game and found 2 Lufia games on the CD, "Lufia I" and "Lufia II"
Since Lufia II is just "Lufia" in Europe, we had no idea it was actually the second Lufia gameI! Since the Lufia I played had no number, we figured this other Lufia game must be Lufia II. So we loaded "Lufia II" onto the copybox of the snes... what we got was the NA version of the game I already played.
My reaction was "But this is exactly the same game, but... it's in English! What a weird sequel!"

I was kind of disappointed, but then it made me think something was off here... I convinced my dad to load "Lufia I" from the CD instead (this was probably a few days after trying out "Lufia II") and this time it was a different game than the Lufia I played! :D

I didn't understand the text in the intro at all because I didn't know much English ("Without warning, the island suddenly appeared in the sky. blahblahblah")
Then I got to control Maxim and his party,but was just confused why everyone was at high levels ("it's the start of the game so shouldn't they be level 1?")
Then as I progressed through the Fortress of Doom, I recognized the music and the layout and then realized this was... the ending of Lufia II! So I hit the reset button thinking this must be some kind of mistake because "Hey, I don't want to start at the end of the game!"

After restarting Lufia I, of course it still started with Maxim's powerful team at Doom Island. I might have resetted the game again after that, but after a while me and my dad realised maybe it's not a faulty Lufia game that makes you start at the ending, maybe the game actually makes you start with Maxim and high level team on purpose.
After (finally) playing through the entire prologue that evening, I was just very excited to see a whole new Lufia game!

The next day we were supposed to go to my most favourite amusement park (I was always REALLY looking forward to it whenever we were going there) But this time I was hoping it would rain so I could play Lufia I instead the next day because I was extremely excited about it=P (I don't think it actually rained the next day though)
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:01 am

SinReVi wrote:(relaying anecdotes from the beautiful Lufia life of SinReVi :D)

...Wow, you played it at such a young age already! And hah your dad got you hooked on Lufia! My dad wouldn't know what it is...

:D Your brother sounds like fun. Nickname and all.

XD that Lexis kid... that must've been priceless!

...Okay, I don't have that many anecdotes really. Or maybe this one last anecdote I didn't tell you guys about yet!
This takes place years after my brother and I bought the game. I was already 19 and studying in Louvain (Leuven :wink: ) and I was at my boyfriend's house for the holidays. He had his SNES and N64 set up in the guest room where we slept while I was staying over (because the guest room had a couch-bed that was bigger than a single-person bed). So one day, before we went to sleep, he asked if I wanted to play something on the SNES or N64, so I asked him 'what do you have?'... and he took out a box with about 20 or so SNES games, and which one was at the front? Turned out that he had the Dutch version of Lufia and we had the German version back home! I tried playing it then, but it felt too weird, so I quit and let him show me. :mrgreen: (some of the translation errors in the booklet were... hilarious though. I still wouldn't know if there are translation errors in the German booklet my brother still has, but in the Dutch version there were quite a few :D)

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Shade-Duelist wrote:

One time he fed my Gades Blade to the Capsule Monsters in my Gift savefile in Lufia II. He didn't know what he what he was doing since he couldn't read yet, but I was NOT happy!
Fortunately, he did not save the game!

- One of the times I saw my dad playing Lufia II and I bugging him to let me play Lufia II, he said no because he was in a cave with 100 floors and couldn't leave. I don't know if he died or used the Providence, but I remember I did get to play the game.

Also my nicknames for the characters before I could read and did my own playthrough were:
Maxim: Rooie/Rode
Tia: Blauwe
Guy: Gele/Blonde
Selan: Groene
Dekar: Meneer met Sonic haar

(I just named them after the color of their hair, except for Dekar whose name is from his hair looking similar to Sonic the Hedgehog)

(also, this is about Lufia I, but when I first played it Aguro soon gained the nickname "Augurk" =P)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:05 pm

SinReVi wrote:
Shade-Duelist wrote:

One time he fed my Gades Blade to the Capsule Monsters in my Gift savefile in Lufia II. He didn't know what he what he was doing since he couldn't read yet, but I was NOT happy!
Fortunately, he did not save the game!

XD oh man... I fortunately never had that, but then again, I kind of never fed my Capsule monsters XD I never even bothered to change away from Foomy in my first playthrough!

(Your brother sounds like great fun, despite the monumental near-oops he made there. I'll bet his first memory is Lufia-related, too, since you seem to have a Lufia family!)

SinReVi wrote:Also my nicknames for the characters before I could read and did my own playthrough were:
Maxim: Rooie/Rode
Tia: Blauwe
Guy: Gele/Blonde
Selan: Groene
Dekar: Meneer met Sonic haar

(I just named them after the color of their hair, except for Dekar whose name is from his hair looking similar to Sonic the Hedgehog)

(also, this is about Lufia I, but when I first played it Aguro soon gained the nickname "Augurk" =P)

I just had a 10-minute discussion with my husband - the silliest discussion, really - about the Lufia 2 characters as yoshis, and what colors they'd have. We agreed on:
Maxim (red)
Tia (pink)
Dekar (purple)
Selan (green)
Lexis (white or light green)
Artea (dark blue)

...But he thinks Guyshi (Guy-as-a-yoshi) should be green, while I think he should be yellow...

(I have the most weird conversations with my husband :oops: )

Terry93D
Villager

Postby Terry93D » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Lufia II characters as Yoshis? That's... definitely one of the stranger conversations I've ever heard of... along with my own musings on how Mario Kart works... like how the Shy Guys are indentured slaves... I go far too deep into Mario Kart 8's workings sometimes...

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:58 pm

I have a pink yarn Yoshi Amiibo, which I named Gades because of this =P : http://www.gadeswoolshop.co.uk/

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:48 am

Terry93D wrote:Lufia II characters as Yoshis? That's... definitely one of the stranger conversations I've ever heard of... along with my own musings on how Mario Kart works... like how the Shy Guys are indentured slaves... I go far too deep into Mario Kart 8's workings sometimes...

...You should hear me and my brothers discuss the Yoshi civilization. We're kind of obsessed with video games, so it used to be a daily staple. Now it's... a whenever-we-talk staple :wink: And there's no such thing as going far too deep into something - as long as you can get out again, it's all okay! :mrgreen:

SinReVi wrote:I have a pink yarn Yoshi Amiibo, which I named Gades because of this =P : http://www.gadeswoolshop.co.uk/

*cannot stop laughing*

...I want a green yarn Yoshi Amiibo. Because those Amiibos are so cute and floofy-looking.

(oh yeah, in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, the second thing I'm best at is being Yoshi-obsessed :P )

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:04 am

Shade-Duelist wrote:
(Your brother sounds like great fun, despite the monumental near-oops he made there. I'll bet his first memory is Lufia-related, too, since you seem to have a Lufia family!)

I'm the only one who has actually finished a Lufia game though =P

I also remember in the late 90's we visited our aunt and uncle, and for whatever reason (vaguely remembers there were too many people in the living room =P) I went upstairs and there was a snes with a copy box with some floppy disks. Guess what was among them, Lufia II! So that's what I played for the rest of the evening. I was in the cave to Sundletan when my cousin, who was older than me, walked in and saw those mushroom monsters on the screen and said something like "No those monsters are very strong! Stay away from them!" not knowing that I had actually finished the game a couple of times. He was surprised to see me go through that dungeon without any trouble ahaha (he never made it past the dungeon). Some time later he came back with his friends/neighbour and saw I was still playing Lufia (I was at Tanbel by then) and one of them said I must be in love with that game =P (the cousin passed away last year...)
Then I also found floppy disks with Lufia save files from my other cousin, his sister, and I could take them home with me =P When I loaded the file I saw she got to Parcelyte. And she got a Spido Jewel from the tarantula! Seriously!

me: *plays Lufia all the time* *NEVER got a Spido Jewel from the Tarantula*(I got 3 in the Ancient Cave though, and they were all found in recent years)
Cousin: *plays Lufia once and doesn't even finish it* *gets Spido Jewel from Tarantula*

I once asked her in the early 2000's if she remembered anything , but she didn't remember playing Lufia II.

One time at school (I guess around 8 years ago) we got a new classmate and I noticed he liked old school RPGs so... somehow I convinced him to check out Lufia... and he did. Only to find out he already played it but just forgot the name.

PS Today is exactly 6 years since Lufia DS was first announced =P

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:23 pm

SinReVi wrote:
Shade-Duelist wrote:

I'm the only one who has actually finished a Lufia game though =P

XD Well my brother bought the game, but I liked it more. And I played it more. I completely ruined a controller from mashing the A button so hard so many times. My brother bought a new controller... with a turbo function. One press of the A button with turbo on = breezing through the fight :lol:

SinReVi wrote:(the cousin passed away last year...)

:cry: I'll bet he was awesome, and that makes it all the more sad. Rest in peace, SinReVi's cousin.

SinReVi wrote:Then I also found floppy disks with Lufia save files from my other cousin, his sister, and I could take them home with me =P When I loaded the file I saw she got to Parcelyte. And she got a Spido Jewel from the tarantula! Seriously!

me: *plays Lufia all the time* *NEVER got a Spido Jewel from the Tarantula*(I got 3 in the Ancient Cave though, and they were all found in recent years)
Cousin: *plays Lufia once and doesn't even finish it* *gets Spido Jewel from Tarantula*

I, too, have never gotten the Spido Jewel. NEVER. Not even in the Ancient Cave.

I do get excited when I find Camu Armor on the first floor, though. *never plays with Guy in the Ancient Cave* I just dislike Camu, he's such a douche for kidnapping Hilda! (In the German version, her name is Leana. I kinda like that name more)

SinReVi wrote:PS Today is exactly 6 years since Lufia DS was first announced =P

*puts on party hat* Woot woot!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 pm

SinReVi wrote:This reminds me of something that happened long ago =P Many years ago there used to be an imported NA Lufia II copy in the local gameshop, which was there for at least a few months.
blahblahblahblah long story

This was also the shop where I bought my NA copy of Lufia DS in 2010. Most of the times I visited the store I had a habit of looking at the Lufia DS shelve copy just because =P
Earlier this year it was gone though and it was removed from the site as well, which means it was totally sold out. But recently when I looked at the DS games there I was a bit surprised they had Lufia DS on the shelf again... but now they sell it for much more money than before (60 euro O_0)

SinReVi wrote:I'm also going through the German version of Lufia II, but at a slow pace, I do want to finish it before the end of this year though. I'm at the part where I just met Lexis.

Soooooooo as the end of the year nears, I thought I'd continue playing German Lufia II today. Only to find out my savefile got deleted O_0 (I should get back in the habit of making back-ups of my cartridges)
My savefile was right after Artea joined... =/
I do have my savefile from in the Ancient Tower (because Maxim x Selan wedding =P) so I could still play from that savefile... but pff I lost my progress since May from this year.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”