"Lufia and the Fortress of Doom – The Game That Almost Wasn’t"

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

"Lufia and the Fortress of Doom – The Game That Almost Wasn’t"

Postby SinReVi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:20 pm

(I might've posted this in the news system long ago but...)

(quote from Anthony Gurr's post on his site)
Lufia was a very successful title when it was officially released in the fall of 1993. It sold approximately 900,000 copies, won three awards, spawned numerous sequels, and developed a bit of a cult following among video game players. In 2013, there are still quite a few gamers who recognize the name whenever I mention it. But what the videogame industry doesn’t know is that the North American version of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom almost never happened. Taito management originally never seriously considered releasing an overseas version. Karma is a strange thing, but at the time, Taito Corporation had no plans to release a North American version of the game. The truth of the matter is that Lufia and the Fortress of Doom would never have happened at all – without me coming along and being a real pain in Taito management’s backside about the game’s potential in North America.

This is a series of articles written by Anthony Gurr, you might recognize his name from the Lufia I staff list. There's interesting information in here, like where the Fortress of Doom subtitle came from.

Part 1:
https://arkanoid64.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -part-one/

Part 2:
https://arkanoid64.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -part-two/

Part 3:
https://arkanoid64.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... art-three/

Part 4:
https://arkanoid64.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... part-four/

Part 5
https://arkanoid64.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... part-five/
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Terry93D
Villager

Re: "Lufia and the Fortress of Doom – The Game That Almost Wasn’t"

Postby Terry93D » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 am

That's actually very interesting. I love seeing these sorts of insights into the background of a game's making. Though I'm not completely sure that the bit of Final Fantasy II's similarities to - oh, hang on, he's probably talking about America's Final Fantasy II, not Japan's. Final Fantasy II is actually wildly different from Dragon Quest and indeed most of the typical JRPGs out there, as it was designed by Akitoshi Kawazu. Rather intelligently, due to the highly unusual gameplay and mechanics, the game wasn't localized (though Final Fantasy's relative lack of success in the U.S. compared to Japan almost certainly played a role in this).

Kawazu took his unique ideas onto GameBoy with the SaGa series (three GameBoy games, released under the Final Fantasy Legend banner, three SNES games that never made it to America, two PlayStation games which did make it to America, one PlayStation 2 game with also made it to America but was a colossal flop that the localization team apologized for and even Kawazu admitted that he knew ahead of time that the game would be a failure that very few people would be able to enjoy. He pulled 25 years of company seniority to make it happen). And I know this because I am a huge fan of the SaGa series, at least in theory, anyway, I've never actually played any of the games. (Though I am playing FuRyu's spiritual successor The Legend of Legacy!)

My apologies for derailing. I had wondered who thought Lufia & the Fortress of Doom was a good idea, but never did I pick up on the Indiana Jones connection. The name changed from Estpolis was definitely a very good decision. I do think the name shouldn't have gone out purely as Lufia - Mario still had his Super, Sonic his Hedgehog, and Kirby the subtitle for whatever the game was - but Fortress of Doom? I suppose it's better than The Lufian Fantasy, but only just.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Wow, that's pretty sweet. The taboo thing always amazed me. What was nintendo so afraid of? I only vaguely remember the hair scene because it didn't really stand out to me. But, "We're not here to talk about breasts," that's hilarious!
So I hear Doom Island was originally called Void Island? Was the fortress of doom also called the castle of void? I think those are actually much cooler names. More specific. Names with 'doom' in them are rather clichéd. Not that I minded when I first played Lufia, mind you.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Doom Island is Void Island/虚空島 in Japanese.
the Fortress of Doom is just Shrine of Daos.

All Lufia games after it changed "Fortress of Doom" to Daos's Shrine but Doom Island always stayed Doom Island.

Also, the Sinistrals being brothers and sister is also a localisation thing (and only in Lufia I)
In the Japanese versions they're ranked Gades - Amon - Erim - Daos.
From what I remember each of them calls the one above them -sama. Any Sinistral under them doesn't get any title. (like Amon calls Daos Daos-sama (okay, Dios-sama since that's Daos' Japanese name), but he calls Gades just Gades)

(I still like them as siblings though =P)

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 pm

So they have a whole hierarchy in the Japanese games, huh. Yeah, I liked the sibling thing as well. Especially in the scene where...

[SPOILER ALERT FOR LUFIA I]

...Steals the Dual Blade and goes to the Fortress of Doom. You really get the sickening sense that she's being welcomed back into her old family. If it'd been "Master Daos" and stuff, then it would feel more like she's forcibly made into a servant.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”