The Ancient Cave

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rezic
Knight

The Ancient Cave

Postby Rezic » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:21 am

Today, November 1st 2015 at approximately 1am EST I have finally beaten the Ancient Cave for the first time on the actual SNES. I'm positively beaming at the moment and just had to share. Endgame party, actually killing the Master Jelly. I just... words... not working from mouth.

I'm sure there's an old thread floating around; but I figure this is as good a thread as any to talk about success or express frustration over GETTING WIPED OUT BY A DAMN ARCHFIEND OF ALL THINGS! etc etc.
<a href="http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1386368">Advent Shadows RP</a>

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Re: The Ancient Cave

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Rezic! You're back! How awesome! Might I convince you to rejoin the RP? :D

And congrats on the Ancient Cave! I actually started questing again last week. Started collecting blue chest items again. Last turn, I made it to the 70th floor before I got wiped out by a Gold Golem. I was avoiding them because I remembered them as being overpowered. But after a while, I thought meh, I can beat anything else, why not give it a go? Well, this is why not. It took them one turn to kill my whole team.

But I'll get there! I beat the Ancient Cave long ago, I will do it again!

So... endgame party? You did it without Dekar? That's impressive. The Dekar Blade makes a huge difference with its IP attack that removes half of the enemy's HP.

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I wanna quest again too!! :cry: dammit play faster Shade!

...I only ever made it to about floor number 70. I recently read up on AC strategies that there's a turning point where you need to start running away from battles or getting the right equipment. Especially the dragon battles can be brutal.

Then again, for someone that only ever made it to floor 70-or-so, I did get seven out of ten Iris treasures, so there's that :D

If I run, though, I always run with the same party, that being Maxim-Selan-Artea-Dekar. Not for the Dekar Blade or anything, just... I really like Dekar. He's incredible on the early floors (pre-40th), after which Artea takes over as strongest character, usually. But throughout the delve, he just remains this huge shock absorber (never thought I'd use that title for good ol' Dekar but meh :oops: )
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Now you people make me want to play through the Ancient Cave again as well =P

I defeated the jelly earlier this year =P (skip to 8:00 for the battle) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBz-vydgBE
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:35 am

SinReVi wrote:Now you people make me want to play through the Ancient Cave again as well =P

Glad to be your excuse for having a good time, Sinrevi :wink: go go go! I still need to play through half the game again, been procrastinating - or rather, been procrastinating on other things with Lufia. Horrible, I know, but meh. Ancient Cave, here I come!!

*doesn't mention that she wishes to letsplay the Dutch Lufia 2 as soon as she gets to Gift Mode on the German version, too* :oops:
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Sinrevi's Fail Story in the Ancient Cave today (TLR):

I reached the 99th floor... aaand that was it.

I got to the 99th floor and was nearly wiped out in a battle (Everyone died, except Dei who was fortunately in the front row).
After the battle I barely had any healing options, since my MP was drained by MP absorbing monsters before and I had no MP restoring items left. Anyway, I found the stairs and all the monsters on the floor were wiped out now... or so I thought!
Before going down to the 100th floor I opened a chest that was right next to the stairs but it turned out it was a dumb mimic team and they killed my party :evil:

~ OUT NOW! 2010

bricek
Red Jelly

Postby bricek » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 am

I love the Ancient Cave :D

I've only ever made it to about B55, but the dekar blade and the gades sword really helps

J..
Red Jelly

Postby J.. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm

When I was younger, in the nineties, I had spent days trying and retrying this Ancient Cave. Good runs meant something like 8 hours of play or more, without any save of course. In the end, after several unsuccessful runs, I had finally managed to reach the 99th floor. But at that time, there was no Internet. So I fought Master Jelly, had no clue about what I was supposed to do and in the end, after the fight, I was just left on this 99th floor full of graphical glitches, without knowing what I had done wrong.
I let you imagine my frustration.

Today, something like 20 years after, I'm trying to do it again (hopefully with a better end). I can no longer afford playing 8 hours straight so I play the game on ZSnes in order to use save states to be able to leave and go back to the game (but defeats are defeats: when they happen, I don't use save states).
I've had a first run that ended against octopuses killing me with their "eight-legger" attacks between the 20th and the 30th floor.
And I've just failed another run: this time, I had made it to the 69th floor. I had all I needed: Valor spell, Strong spell, Absorb spell and a good equipement. I thought I had still some floors left before entering the money-time (Gold Dragons)... but on this 69th floor, two Black Dragons, that I had had no problem beating so far, sent unusually-successfull Destroy attacks. One of them instantly killed two of my teammates. I thougt I'd have a chance to cast Valor to revive them but another Destroy attack instantly killed my other two teammates.
That's the Ancient Cave I had known in the nineties: a lesson of humility.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 am

Ah yes... the RNG goddess makes fools of us all.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:52 pm

My last Ancient Cave run in Lufia II went well until I ran into a group of Seireins at B50.
Maxim, Selan and Guy were confused and Dekar fell asleep. Selan killed Maxim with a instant death weapon. Then she died by monsters while still being confused. Guy couldn't be healed in time and Dekar was still sleeping when he was killed.

Barely played Lufia II this year. I should change that. Maybe.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”