The Ancient Cave

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Balzak
Villager

Re: The Ancient Cave

Postby Balzak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Idk, I seem to recall having a seemingly endless amount of time for this sort of thing when I was younger :P

J..
Red Jelly

Postby J.. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Yes, so do I.
In fact, I was already around 18 when I played the Ancient Cave in the 1990s but I had much time during my holidays and that's why I could afford several of these incredibly long runs and eventually reach the 99th floor... once. But I can't imagine the number of runs I'd have needed to understand what to do with Master Jelly :lol:

Furthermore, to put it back into the context, the fact that the 99th floor is a graphical mess in the US version let you think, after Master Jelly had fled, that there was maybe something else to do on this floor but that you couldn't see it. I remember walking everywhere I could during long minutes, hoping to find something more to do. So when you finally ended up using Providence to exit the cave, you were not 100% sure of what went wrong with your run. Something you did wrong during the fight itself or something made impossible by the graphical glitch? At that time, you couldn't really know.
That's why having the motivation to make your way again to the 99th floor to try other strategies against Master Jelly was even more unlikely, because you didn't know if the problem with your run really came from the fight itself.
Last edited by J.. on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Neverland for Lufia II

Balzak
Villager

Postby Balzak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Yeah I didn't really think much of the map tile glitches in the US version at the time. I didn't know enough about how games worked back then to really understand why that was the way it was and just took it at face value. Nowadays I'd probably be incensed at such an obvious bug making it into the shipped version of the game.

J..
Red Jelly

Postby J.. » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm

J.. wrote:When I was younger, in the nineties, I had spent days trying and retrying this Ancient Cave. Good runs meant something like 8 hours of play or more, without any save of course. In the end, after several unsuccessful runs, I had finally managed to reach the 99th floor. But at that time, there was no Internet. So I fought Master Jelly, had no clue about what I was supposed to do and in the end, after the fight, I was just left on this 99th floor full of graphical glitches, without knowing what I had done wrong.
I let you imagine my frustration.

Today, something like 20 years after, I'm trying to do it again (hopefully with a better end). I can no longer afford playing 8 hours straight so I play the game on ZSnes in order to use save states to be able to leave and go back to the game (but defeats are defeats: when they happen, I don't use save states).
I've had a first run that ended against octopuses killing me with their "eight-legger" attacks between the 20th and the 30th floor.
And I've just failed another run: this time, I had made it to the 69th floor. I had all I needed: Valor spell, Strong spell, Absorb spell and a good equipement. I thought I had still some floors left before entering the money-time (Gold Dragons)... but on this 69th floor, two Black Dragons, that I had had no problem beating so far, sent unusually-successfull Destroy attacks. One of them instantly killed two of my teammates. I thougt I'd have a chance to cast Valor to revive them but another Destroy attack instantly killed my other two teammates.
That's the Ancient Cave I had known in the nineties: a lesson of humility.

I had put the Ancient Cave aside after these two runs because I wanted to finish the game. Now I've done it, I'm back to the Ancient Cave, with the endgame party this time (so Guy, Maxim, Artea, Selan).
I had begun my run this week and I've just reached the 50th floor today. What does the in-game timer say? 5h14! More than 5 hours to come halfway... in a sidequest that originally did not allow to split your run into multiple sessions!
20 years after my first runs on SNES, I'm still wondering how Neverland could have such a crazy idea! :D

PS: have to say I play on a 50Hz configuration (PAL rom today / US cartridge in the nineties but on a PAL SNES) so this probably leads to runs longer than if I played on a 60Hz configuration. However, even 20% faster, this would remain rather long ;)
Thanks to Neverland for Lufia II

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”