Hmm Arek the almighty?... who's that?

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Guard Daos wrote:Kronoan. Keep your posts relevant to the topic and don't double-post. Then we'll undoubtedly get along.

hmm... i want to say something... but it's better if i don't. lol

anyway, Arek is called "Arek the Absolute" where did he get that title from? i don't recall them saying that in Lufia II or FoD... but then again, i haven't played eiter in a long time. -_-
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Daos called him that before the final battle.

Maxim: Then why has only evil appeared? Where are those others who believe in good?
Daos: It is so ordained by Arek the Absolute.
Maxim: Arek the Absolute...?
Daos: He is the One who stands above all others like me.
Maxim: I had no idea...

Apart from that, it does make you curious about those 'others' mentioned, doesn't it? There's often been speculation of four 'counter-Sinistrals' who form the opposite of the evil Sinistrals. But it could be something else as well.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:17 pm

*smacks head* crap, i now feel dumb... i remember now, but for some reason i forgot... lol
thanks.
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 am

Perhaps those others are referring to the other three Sinistrals, their followers, and human kind. It's an obvious statement really. Though it makes you think is there more Sinistrals.

I think I read something in the Lufia.net RP not to think of Sinistral from the human word "sinister." Instead there could be a latent language in Estopolis. Like the word Sinistral is an elfen word for "servant of the gods."

Daos compared to Arek is nothing more than a lowly servant in other words.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 am

DarkMaster2101 wrote:I think I read something in the Lufia.net RP not to think of Sinistral from the human word "sinister." Instead there could be a latent language in Estopolis. Like the word Sinistral is an elfen word for "servant of the gods."

Ah well, that was just an idea of mine. I think the original writers did base it on 'sinister'. I prefer to think of them as not necessarily evil though. This way, it'd make more sense.

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Sinistral most likely came about due to the fact that Nintendo really didn't like religious references in games back then (like all the meaningless taking out of crosses in the first two games). Seeing as their original title was Four Mad Gods, they were probably trying to convey the same meaning without using the word god or gods in any way. Of course, then we got Lufia II and some of their original uses of words might have not made as much sense with the expanding backstory.

I know there's a site that's looking at the Lufia II script and comparing it to a direct Japanese translation, but it hasn't updated in awhile so I don't know everything that might come of the comparison.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm

Yeah, it's a pity it doesn't reach that far. I'd be curious to the scene I quoted. There would probably be something like 'Mad Gods' and... other 'Gods'.
Hm... How'd you translate that... Sinistrals and Goodistrals? Nah... :P

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm

It would either be that or the Sinistrals might not have originally referred to each other as Mad Gods, but rather that being the name to describe them given by humans. I'd be curious to how the original game went about Daos and his crew referring to each other, but there's no translation and my sad translation abilities only last as far as hirigana/katakana romanization or plugging already transcribed scripts into a translator.

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah, we'd need SinReVi's translation skills on that matter.. in the english adaption (as well as the german and dutch ones) they do refer to eachother as Sinistrals. But I doubt thats what they called eachother in the original script. Imagine Daos saying "I am Daos, leader of the four mad Gods!". I'd be expecting bugs bunny to slap him on the face with a mallet after he stops speaking :/...

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 pm

The Japanese term is "Shikyoushin" which means four mad gods. This means not only that they are indeed gods, but also that this group consists of exactly four members.

This also makes clear that Gades, Amon, Erim and Daos belong to the same group rather than Erim standing apart.
In my opinion there are all, Erim as well, considered as bad gods. But with the events of Lufia 2 she starts to change.

By the way, this is the link to the site: http://members.fortunecity.com/kwhazit/trans/ed2/

There are a lot of interesting dialogues like e. g. what Maxim really thought when he met Guy and Jessy. :D

Oh, and the German term is "Höllenfürsten" which means princes of hell.

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 pm

too bad they dont have the ENTIRE gamescript on it :(... but this really did make me laugh :D

(indeed, the thought he had during guy and jessy's talk)

Tia:
Jessie-san and Guy-san both understand each other's hearts.
That's why they can believe in each other and wait.
How wonderful. Adult romance......

Maxim:
(......not like a certain someone who came tagging along.)

This one definitely is a lot funnier than the english (and even the dutch) translation too :P

Selena:
That's making it sound like I'm scarier than a monster!

Maxim:
You ARE scary

Also, I really do prefer that original name... Selena sounds much better than Selan (though in all honesty Selan doesnt sound too bad either)

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:23 pm

So we have:

Japanese: Shikyoushin
English: Sinistrals
Dutch: Sinistralen
German: Höllenfürsten
Spanish: Siniestros
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 pm

well SinRevi, keep in mind us dutch probably took it easy and just translated the game from the english adaption anyway.. you can tell by the "on the way to Sundletan" error that wasn't fixed that they really didnt know WHAT they were translating to begin with :P

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:30 pm

The same mistake is there in the German version as well.

Another thing there is the translation of "So long." what the Egg Dragon says to you if you don't want to fight. It's translated into "So lang." which is a possible correct translation. At least in another context as it means long with regard to length.

HegemonKhan
Red Jelly

my two cents

Postby HegemonKhan » Wed May 20, 2009 6:03 am

i certainly haven't read much of the posts for this thread yet...so forgive me if what i post has already been brought up, or if it's got a lot wrong with the actual facts that we know

also, i discuss, some other stuff, besides just arek, so some of it is a bit off-topic, though it kinda is connected too.

i'm interested in what you guys/girls think of my "speculations" or "theories" (thoughts):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'll put in my own 2 cents about the story elements

based ONLY on lufia 2 (i haven't played lufia 1 yet, or later lufia's)

(though be warned, it's been a long time since i played and went through the entire game, so i've forgotten lots of stuff. also, i don't have too much knowledge or studied the dialogue even if i remember it all. so what i'm saying is that this assessment of mine is a very first draft or even only a brainstorming. it'll probably have a lot wrong)

Dual Blade:

The Dual Blade seems to be like a "judgement day" as in it decides whether humans or sinistrals rule the world (much like judgement day of terminator 2 movie, do humans or machines rule the world). Except it is an "item" (weapon) which chooses (resonates) it's wielder (human or sinistral) and grants it's full power to that being, which lets "mere" humans kill even the sinistrals. It's not clear why the sinistrals would need the Dual Blade though. The sinistrals already are more powerful than most humans (barring the few exceptions: maxim, guy, tia, selan, dekar, lexis, artea for lufia 2 and ? for lufia 1. i have never played lufia 1 yet). Or, the Dual Blade's resonance, marks the beginning of the battle for it and rule of the world, and than a wielder has to prove himself/herself to the Dual Blade and also find the Dual Blade.

Sinstrals:

Arek the Absolute:

Arek the Absolute is a mystery. Either he is the top sinistral or he is beyond even the sinistrals as "god". He seems to have great wisdom and knowledge about what is actually going on which as far as I know is never really explained/revealed, whereas the other sinistrals (except Erim) are just blood thirsty for destruction and ruling the world. You never fight him.

Erim ( / Iris) the Death (and life) Sinistral:

Erim the Death Sinistral actually has the power of both death and life. In her Iris form, she possesses the power of life (she revives maxim once or a few times). In her Erim form, she possesses the power of death. She fights you at the end of the game. However, she shows great wisdom like Arek and is not blood thirsty for destruction and ruling the world. In fact, she saves maxim and others many times and even revives a dead maxim once or a few times. This is mysterious as to why she helps out the humans and than fights them at the end. Maybe, she and the other sinistrals do not know who is the legendary human who threatens them out of the party. So she and gades and the other sinistrals could be just testing the party of humans to see which one of them is "the one" who can defeat them. Or it could be that there MUST BE a final battle between sinistral and human and one of them wields Dual Blade and wins. maybe she knows this and the other sinistrals don't. maybe this is why she keeps saving/reviving maxim and the others. There's a lot going on that as far as i know is NOT explained. Possibly.....Erim ( / Iris) is maxim's mom.....and maybe even Arek is Maxim's dad. Arek and Erim do seem to have some kind of relationship or closeness to each other. also, it explain why Erim follows, saves, and revives maxim. also, explains why Arek doesn't get involved either. Though Erim does fight at the end against maxim, guy, selan, artea..

also, if maxim, guy, tia, selan, dekar, lexis, artea were the children of the sinistrals, it would explain why they are so strong compared to all the other humans. Erim is sent to "observe/test/kill" maxim.

Gades the Destroyer:

Gades the Destroyer is pretty simple. He just wants to "see the (human) world burn". There's really not that much more about Gades. He's just a brute. He is sent to "observe/test/kill" selan (i think).

Daos or Amon (don't know/remember which is which and i read that they get reversed between lufia games, anyways) of Chaos (i think):

Daos or Amon (don't know/remember which is which and i read that they get reversed between lufia games, anyways) of Terror (i think):

Sinistral "minions":

Indura:

Indura is sent by ? sinistral to "observe/test/kill" dekar. He is also ordered to steal maxim and selan's baby.

Camu:

Camu is sent by ? sinistral to "observe/test/kill" guy

okay i've read some about the theory of there being 4 "good" "sinistrals":

possibly: maxim, guy, selan, artea are the 4 "good" "sinistrals".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i also feel that:

"Maxim: who is arek?"
"Daos: He is the One who stands above all others like me."

arek "stands above" the 4 sinistrals (erim, gades, amon, daos).

the "all others like me (Daos)" are erim, gades, and amon. (well maybe there's even more "evil" sinistrals and than there's the "good" sinistrals, whoever they are, but for as far as i know daos is simply refering to the 3 other sinistrals: erim, gades, and amon).

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”