Interviews

Comment on Lufia World's news and updates.

Moderators: Chris, Moderator Team

News System
Knight

Interviews

Postby News System » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Quoting two interviews with Natsume. <br><br>

<br><b>"How Natsume Picked Up Lufia: Curse Of The Sinistrals"<br>
(original message from <a href="http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/14/how-natsume-picked-up-lufia-curse-of-the-sinistrals/">Siliconera)</a></b> <br><br>

By Spencer . July 14, 2010 . 4:28pm<br>
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies and the Final Fantasy Game Boy Advance ports are exceptions. Square Enix rarely licenses their titles to other publishers, but Natsume picked up Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals also known as Estoplis: The Lands Cursed by the Gods.<br><br>

When I met with Hiro Maekawa, CEO and President of Natsume, I asked him how the deal for Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals came about. “I didn’t ask them [Square Enix] to give us Lufia. That came from their side,” Maekawa replied. “We received an offer from their side whether we were interested in publishing Lufia in America.”<br><br>

Almost fourteen years ago, Natsume licensed the Super Nintendo game Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals from Taito, which was absorbed by Square Enix in 2005. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals is a reimagining of Lufia II. What about the original game? Will Natsume re-release it on Virtual Console?<br><br>

“Would it be possible? I’m sure everyone is open for discussion when it comes to ideas, but nothing at this time,” Graham Markay, Vice President of Operations at Natsume, answered.<br><br>

“We just did Wild Guns. Shadow of the Ninja, which made a lot of people happy. We’re trying to get a couple of those other classic Natsume titles out as well.”<br><br>

------

<br><b>
"Interview: Natsume's Vice President of Operations Graham Markay"<br>
(I only quoted the Lufia related parts, you can view the original and full interview <a href="http://nerdmentality.com/article/5730/interview-natsumes-vice-president-of-operations-graham-markay/">here)</b></a>
<br><br>
<b>You guys have the Lufia revamp...</b><br>

GM: Yup, re-imagining. Because it's not a port...<br><br>

<b>Well...</b><br>

GM: ... It would be unfair to call it, you know, like it's just like the SNES version.</br></br>

<b>Right, but it has the same story and the same characters?</b><br>

GM: No, the story's a little bit different. Characters are similar and story, but it's different. It's not just the same text that you would see in Lufia II for the SNES.<br><br>

<b>Right, the dialogue is completely new.</b><br>

GM: That's right. And we know that there are die-hard fans and that they're watching what we do, so we're actually spending a lot of time on the VO as well as the script itself to make sure that we hold true, but at the same time try to bring in new Lufia fans and introduce them to the series.<br><br>

<b>Originally, Square-Enix was the publisher in Japan...</b><br>

GM: Yeah, in Japan. It's a Square-Enix title.<br><br>

<b>... So, is there a reason they didn't want to bring it over here [Stateside]? How did you guys get involved?</b><br>

GM: Truthfully, you'd probably have to ask Square-Enix about that. I don't really know the reasons; we just actually heard through the grapevine that Lufia might be available. We have some history with the series, so we talked to Square-Enix and it seemed like a pretty good fit for whatever reason and we moved on from there. Which is fantastic because Natsume released Lufia II and Lufia: The Legend Returns for the Game Boy Color.
Automated news system.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 pm

I suppose it makes sense.

Natsume is more associated with Lufia II (who cares about Lufia I now days *sigh*). If Square Enix released anything that wasn't Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, or whatever the hell other games Eidos made they tend to get eaten alive by SE fanboys here in the states.

I remember the Last Remnant was criticized heavily by fans (although the game did suck in gameplay). I still wouldn't mind working in SE's US studio.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Return to “Lufia World - News and Updates”