Best non-Lufia RPG...

General gaming discussions. However, discussions about Lufia, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Zelda should be posted in the dedicated forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:12 pm

Kenryo wrote:GOLDEN SUN IS THE BEST!!!!!

Not the best, but still very high up on my list... :)

Kenryo
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Kenryo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:21 pm

then whats on top of your list

Imperial Dragon
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Imperial Dragon » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:52 pm

Chris wrote:Breath of Fire... yeah, that was great fun. I need to play the latest Breath of Fire game for the PS2... :)

I've heard BoF: Dragon Quarter is quite different from the rest of the series. Animation style is quite different, and gameplay is pretty cool from what I've heard (I haven't played any more BoF games since the second one, since I can't get my hands on a copy of any of the later games, plus I don't have a PS2.)

The worst thing they did was the whole D-Ratio thing. It's cool, but they PUNISH you for using your dragon powers :x Don't be surprised if you don't like it compared against the other games, but keep an open mind.
Follow your dreams, you never know where they'll lead you.

Being defeated is only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanant.

L'amour est une belle chose. "Love is a beautiful thing."

Shadow_
Arek's Apprentice

Postby Shadow_ » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:50 pm

Imperial Dragon wrote:
Chris wrote:Breath of Fire... yeah, that was great fun. I need to play the latest Breath of Fire game for the PS2... :)

I've heard BoF: Dragon Quarter is quite different from the rest of the series. Animation style is quite different, and gameplay is pretty cool from what I've heard (I haven't played any more BoF games since the second one, since I can't get my hands on a copy of any of the later games, plus I don't have a PS2.)

The worst thing they did was the whole D-Ratio thing. It's cool, but they PUNISH you for using your dragon powers :x Don't be surprised if you don't like it compared against the other games, but keep an open mind.

I heard the same thing
"Believe in yourself and create your own Destiny. Don't fear Fate"

Kenryo
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Kenryo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:51 am

why do they punish u for using your dragon powers

Imperial Dragon
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Imperial Dragon » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:00 am

If your D-Ratio hits 100%, then it's game over... Each time you use your dragon powers, then it gets closer to 100%. And there is NO WAY to lower the D-Ratio.
Follow your dreams, you never know where they'll lead you.

Being defeated is only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanant.

L'amour est une belle chose. "Love is a beautiful thing."

Shadow_
Arek's Apprentice

Postby Shadow_ » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:26 am

are you serious that sounds a little hard
"Believe in yourself and create your own Destiny. Don't fear Fate"

Jacob Shepherd
Red Jelly

Postby Jacob Shepherd » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Dragon Warrior IV or Final Fantasy VI.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:14 pm

I already said it, CIMA The Enemy!
And Ys is also a good game series.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Shocker
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Shocker » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:03 pm

Y's series, especially newer ones
Tales series (Tales of Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia)
I like to smile like this:
~^_______________^~

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:32 pm

It would be even better if Namco would release another Tales game besides Symphonia here, eh? (Or has there been more than that?)

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:47 am

Namco are idiots for not releasing ToP or any other Tales games here (except the Tales game for the PSP that is comming soon).

Tales of Symphonia is the best non Lufia RPG, IMO.

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:08 am

I think Namco's reasons would be for reasons that could be controversial. I remember being spiritually intimidated by the storyline in the beginning, as it is partially fueled by religion and prophecy. (The "religion" of these cruxis guys seem like a cross between Christianity's churches and Islam's pilgramages) Most of it, however, seems to cool off as you first set foot on Tethe'alla.

In one instance, a woman in the Meltokio church says, "Our mother, who art in heaven..." Being a Christian, I felt deeply offended by this, seeing that it's a play-on of the first line in the Lord's Prayer, "Our father, who art in heaven." IMHO I'm sure there have been Christian churches who freaked out about it. The only thing that keeps me playing this game is the fact that it is, of course, only a game, and everything else besides the offending religious remarks (which the one I just pointed out is so far only one) is just awesome.

That's what I feel that Namco was afraid about, that the storyline would be too controversial. I don't blame them.

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:15 am

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary wrote:I think Namco's reasons would be for reasons that could be controversial. I remember being spiritually intimidated by the storyline in the beginning, as it is partially fueled by religion and prophecy. (The "religion" of these cruxis guys seem like a cross between Christianity's churches and Islam's pilgramages) Most of it, however, seems to cool off as you first set foot on Tethe'alla.

In one instance, a woman in the Meltokio church says, "Our mother, who art in heaven..." Being a Christian, I felt deeply offended by this, seeing that it's a play-on of the first line in the Lord's Prayer, "Our father, who art in heaven." IMHO I'm sure there have been Christian churches who freaked out about it. The only thing that keeps me playing this game is the fact that it is, of course, only a game, and everything else besides the offending religious remarks (which the one I just pointed out is so far only one) is just awesome.

That's what I feel that Namco was afraid about, that the storyline would be too controversial. I don't blame them.

Kind off funny how when a Japanese game goes to U.S / elsewhere, all these problems arise. I personally get annoyed at people who take that too seriously (Grand Theft Auto responisble for killing people, anyone) and take it out of porportion. But alas, I must digress.

Hmm...now that I think about it, Chrono Trigger might beat out ToS for best non-Lufia RPG.....

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:53 am

GTA is one thing because it's so graphic.

Personally, I'm not to perterbed by this game, save that one line.

Alexia wrote:Hmm...now that I think about it, Chrono Trigger might beat out ToS for best non-Lufia RPG.....

IMO, it's not fair to judge 3-D and 2-D games in the same way because of their graphical differences, and in some cases the change in functionality. I would say CT is the best 2-D-wise, and ToS would be pretty up there on the 3-D chart. (Seeing that ToS happens to be my first 3-D RPG)

Return to “General Gaming”