Is anyone interested in some more meaningful discussions?

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Is anyone interested in some more meaningful discussions?

Postby WindChildFuko » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:38 pm

Quite frankly, most of the topics lately have been kind of boring in my opinion. Is anyone interested in having a political discussion? Or maybe a debate about the evidence for and against religion? I only come here once a week lately, and when I do come, there are no posts that are interesting to me. I always like to hear the other side of an argument.

Just a suggestion, but if no one is interested, Im just not gonna bother coming anymore.
"God Bless America" doesn't mean "God damn everyone else."

The world is my country and to do good is my religion.

Killing one man is murder. Killing 100,000 men is foreign policy.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Hm, I understand your point, but I guess we just like fooling around, more than serious discussions ;)

Myself, I have never been interested in politics and I won't be for a long time, to tell ya the truth. Same goes for religion.

But perhaps there are other people who think like you.

maxim6221
Hero of the Lufians

Postby maxim6221 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:33 pm

me either. i never been interested in politics and such. those guys just make me throw up.

Hey Big Sexy! >_<

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:27 am

Well, I have something to add to this dicussion.

Anyone notice how there's all that controversy over the idea of a higher power creating species being added to school ciruclium (sp?), but they cannot even fix the problems in the schools already?

Or why news channels *cough*CNN*cough* are wanting to show/talk about all of the attacks in Iraq, but never talk about the good (or if they do, they will make it short and ALWAYS bring up about the attacks).

x_x This should get some good dicussion, methinks.

KeiKusanagi
Hero of the Lufians

Postby KeiKusanagi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:33 am

Discussions about religion and politics usually just start fight, I'd rather not take part in them, but that's just me.

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:38 am

Alexia wrote:Well, I have something to add to this dicussion.

Anyone notice how there's all that controversy over the idea of a higher power creating species being added to school ciruclium (sp?), but they cannot even fix the problems in the schools already?

Or why news channels *cough*CNN*cough* are wanting to show/talk about all of the attacks in Iraq, but never talk about the good (or if they do, they will make it short and ALWAYS bring up about the attacks).

x_x This should get some good dicussion, methinks.

Exactly what problems in the schools are you referring to?

And, bad news just is more important to hear about. I am not interested in turning on the news and seeing airtime wasted on hospitals and roads being built. I think a five-minute clip is all that is needed to get the point across. I would rather the news cover the dangerous places for our troops and the progress we are making in Iraq militarily.

But, I must say, as soon as we pull our troops out, another dictator (maybe even worse than Saddam) will take over with the assistance of the insurgents. But, keeping our troops in there for longer will just increase our casualties and probably do nothing in the long run. It is a tough situation out there, and i would rather hear the news covering the problems rather than try to put a good face on the war.

Chris
Forum Admin

Re: Is anyone interested in some more meaningful discussions

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:28 pm

WindChildFuko wrote:Quite frankly, most of the topics lately have been kind of boring in my opinion. Is anyone interested in having a political discussion? Or maybe a debate about the evidence for and against religion? I only come here once a week lately, and when I do come, there are no posts that are interesting to me. I always like to hear the other side of an argument.

Just a suggestion, but if no one is interested, Im just not gonna bother coming anymore.

Yeah, you're right, it would be cool to have a few serious discussion topics. If there's anything you want to talk about, please go ahead and start topics. I know for sure that people will reply. :)

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:36 pm

WindChildFuko wrote:I would rather the news cover the dangerous places for our troops and the progress we are making in Iraq militarily

Heh...if only they did cover the military progress. It seems that's something they want to overlook. I see nothing wrong with showing that, but when they purposely take away the fair, balanced aspect of news (i.e.- trying to cram "two people got killed today", and nothing else (i.e.- one minute on something good happening / a counter-strike launched against the insurgents), then that's when the line drawn is passed. *glares at CNN*.

Aren't they supposed to be fair and balanced in their newscasts, or is all they care about ratings, even if they skew the coverage inperportianlly? That's what annoys me about that issue. I mean, it is not THAT hard to try to equal out the coverage on the war.

-----

Going back to the school issue, let's see what can be listed. Mold / other allergins in schools, education rates compared to other countires in the world, knowledge compared to other countires.....the list can go on and on. I mean, they can worry about all the other petty problems, but they cannot fix what is RIGHT in front of them.

Heh, well that's the end of my rant for now. I tried to be as non-flameist as I could with all that, but I appologize if I offended anyone.

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Lorelei wrote:
WindChildFuko wrote:I would rather the news cover the dangerous places for our troops and the progress we are making in Iraq militarily

Heh...if only they did cover the military progress. It seems that's something they want to overlook. I see nothing wrong with showing that, but when they purposely take away the fair, balanced aspect of news (i.e.- trying to cram "two people got killed today", and nothing else (i.e.- one minute on something good happening / a counter-strike launched against the insurgents), then that's when the line drawn is passed. *glares at CNN*.

Aren't they supposed to be fair and balanced in their newscasts, or is all they care about ratings, even if they skew the coverage inperportianlly? That's what annoys me about that issue. I mean, it is not THAT hard to try to equal out the coverage on the war.

-----

Going back to the school issue, let's see what can be listed. Mold / other allergins in schools, education rates compared to other countires in the world, knowledge compared to other countires.....the list can go on and on. I mean, they can worry about all the other petty problems, but they cannot fix what is RIGHT in front of them.

Heh, well that's the end of my rant for now. I tried to be as non-flameist as I could with all that, but I appologize if I offended anyone.

Well, with the schools it is a matter of budget. Not teaching religion doesn't cost them any money, while removing allergens, hiring more competent teachers, and buying up-to-date schoolbooks and equipment is a drain they just can't afford and still stay open. My high school is considered among the top public schools in the country (top 100 or something, Im not sure exactly what) because I live in a wealthy neighborhood. My school just this year removed the espestice (sp?) on our ceilings and it was at least a month-long job. Most schools would not be able to afford to hire workers for a month.

And as for the war, You are saying what they do not cover, but what are you saying they spend their time on instead?

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:11 pm

Yeah, I know it's a drain on money, but they could at least spend some tiem trying to think of way to get that money.

And for the war, is it that hard to equal out the coverage and be "fair and balanced" for once. That's all I think they should try to do, but they show otherwise.....

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Erika wrote:Yeah, I know it's a drain on money, but they could at least spend some tiem trying to think of way to get that money.

And for the war, is it that hard to equal out the coverage and be "fair and balanced" for once. That's all I think they should try to do, but they show otherwise.....

How do you suggest they get money short of raising taxes? A bake sale? It isnt that easy.

Again, you are saying what they are not doing, but what are you saying they are showing instead of the war coverage?

majormastermind
Forum Moderator

Postby majormastermind » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:43 pm

WindChildFuko wrote:And, bad news just is more important to hear about. I am not interested in turning on the news and seeing airtime wasted on hospitals and roads being built. I think a five-minute clip is all that is needed to get the point across. I would rather the news cover the dangerous places for our troops and the progress we are making in Iraq militarily.

See the thing is with this...if the public doesn't know whats really going on over there then the support will be lost. Kind of like right now really. I mean everyone bashes Bush and thinks he's a really bad guy for sending our troops over there and getting them killed. What people fail to realize is that by doing this we are probably saving more lives of ours plus other people that surrounded him. I've been there....i know whats going on in that place...I even have pics taken with me and some of my fellow members feeding some childern sitting on the side of the road..(and yes i can scan those if you all want to see them). I did get sent an email that said all the good things that were being done over there. I'll see if i can produce that in the future. Its pretty interesting.
stupid is as stupid does

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:39 pm

>>See the thing is with this...if the public doesn't know whats really going on over there then the support will be lost. Kind of like right now really. I mean everyone bashes Bush and thinks he's a really bad guy for sending our troops over there and getting them killed. What people fail to realize is that by doing this we are probably saving more lives of ours plus other people that surrounded him. I've been there....i know whats going on in that place...I even have pics taken with me and some of my fellow members feeding some childern sitting on the side of the road..(and yes i can scan those if you all want to see them). I did get sent an email that said all the good things that were being done over there. I'll see if i can produce that in the future. Its pretty interesting.

++I suppose being a soldier gives you more credibility than me, but I dont agree. Invading Iraq may make some Iraqis like us, but it makes radicals and some Iraqis whose innocent families died at the hands of American bombs hate us much more. to quote a bumper sticker, we are creating enemies faster than we can kill them.

And people hate Bush for a lot more reasons than just starting the war on Iraq. If you want me to, I can post some of them. Just go ahead and ask.

Naminé
Forum Moderator

Postby Naminé » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:27 pm

I have no problem with them showing war coverage, just for them to give a balanced look at EVERYTHING that is going on there, not just a select few things. That's all someone could ask, IMO.

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:42 pm

*sigh* That is the third time you have posted about CNN, yet you have yet to say anything that indicates you know anything about it at all.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”