Christianity and Creationism

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Christianity and Creationism

Postby WindChildFuko » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:16 am

I am an Athiest/Agnostic. Anyone care to discuss Christianity, the existance of God, or Creationism being taught in schools?
"God Bless America" doesn't mean "God damn everyone else."

The world is my country and to do good is my religion.

Killing one man is murder. Killing 100,000 men is foreign policy.

RJL
Hero of the Lufians

Postby RJL » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:03 am

Here a question for anybody

If you are Catholike and get married then have a kid but then they have a divorce . But in the Ctholike church they do not belive in divorces unless you get an Alnolment (which by the way is 1500-2000$). An Alnolment is when they dig up information on your past and find out what you were like then and then they just say you where never married . So my two question are
1.What are the kids then did they pop out of thin air ?
2. What if you have the divorce then don't have an Alnolment but get married again what is your new wife there oppinon ?
I was not parenoyed until you where all against me

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:15 am

No one? No religious dabate at all?

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:52 pm

RJL wrote:1.What are the kids then did they pop out of thin air ?
2. What if you have the divorce then don't have an Alnolment but get married again what is your new wife there oppinon ?

I can't make heads or tails of what you're asking. Please reword them.

PsiCop
Sinistral Slayer

Postby PsiCop » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:03 pm

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.
Dekar rules!

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:37 pm

I completely support religious studies at schools. It's important IMO for youngsters to be given the chance to make up their own minds, and without studying religion at school, all you have to go on are your parents.

I actually do believe in the existence of God. Although I'm not the type to go out and shout about it, as I prefer to keep my beliefs personal! :)

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Obviously I am against it. The teaching of religion at private schools is a severe breach of the separation of church and state. If they want to be taught something that has not been proven and is hardly supported by evidence at all, they can learn that from their parents. If religion is to be taught in school, then Judaism, Islam, Hindu, Buddhism, Confucionism, and all the other religions should be taught with equal emphasis.

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:45 pm

When I was in the lower part of high school, all the main religions were covered over the year. Christianity did get a little bit more attention than the others, but I'm cool with that especially since it's the main religion in the UK.

Later on in high school, Religious Studies really changed. It wasn't about learning facts about religions anymore, it was about applying the beliefs of each religion to different moral situations. This is good for any religious and non-religious person IMO as it gives you the chance to think "outside the box", and come up with ideas about the areas science hasn't yet explored. I also believe that it is important to study other religions, to obtain a better understanding of the varied society we live in now.

CinnamonPie
Villager

Postby CinnamonPie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:30 pm

You have a religious studies course at your high school? I think they only have those kind of courses at universities in Canada.

Anyhow, I think that religious studies courses are a good thing, since they would be electives. You don't really learn much about different religions without taking a specialized course. So I don't really have a problem with learning about and analyzing creationist views in an elective course. On the other hand, I certainly object to teaching creationism in science class, as an alternative to evolution. This is extremely unscientific, and a religious viewpoint should not be introduced into the core courses.

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:48 am

The problem is that creationism is not a science, no matter what name you slap on it. It is an explanation for what you do not know. It has been used throughout history; for example, the Greeks did not know how the sun crossed the sky, so they made up Apollo, and believed that he pulled the sun with his chariot. I see no difference between this and creationism, except for an abundance of evidence for evolution, creationism's opposite. Teaching something like that that has no relevence other than the fact that many people believe it. If that was used for everything, then we would have to teach both the haulocaust and that it never happened, as the occasional crazy believes. I think that for something to be taught in school, it needs to be either fact or heavily supported theory.

PsiCop
Sinistral Slayer

Postby PsiCop » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 am

Wild Child, check out a book called "God? A debate between a Christian and an Atheist."

I think you'd like it. It's rather informative, and it gives all the big points for both sides, as well as rebuttals. One is an atheist scientist (I don't remember what kind), and the other is a theologian philosopher with a Master's degree from a Christian University. It's a great and detailed debate.

It's my feeling that people should never argue the points until they've REALLY done the research. (not saying you haven't)

*puts two cents on the table*
Dekar rules!

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:29 am

I will check that out. But, I have done research. Granted, Ive only read a couple books plus seen one documentary, but they give a good feel of Atheism as a philosophy. I intend to read many more tho.

CinnamonPie
Villager

Postby CinnamonPie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:39 pm

Well, it doesn't take too much research to find out that the vast majority of evidence supports evolution. Sure, there are attempts at scientific arguments for creationism, but they just come across as attempts at proving a preset conclusion. On the other hand, evolutionary theory is a conclusion that came from people's observations.

XcaliburX
Villager

Postby XcaliburX » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:52 am

I'm wondering if anyone is willing to just go and have a look the church i go to, it's 'True Jesus Church'. Don't get offended by the name, the church's doesn't mean that others are fake. For more inquries, refer to your local 'True Jesus Church' and ask the preacher there. And if u r curious bout the name, ask them bout that. They will tell u how the name of our church came to be.

WindChildFuko
Hero of the Lufians

Postby WindChildFuko » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:23 pm

A couple churches are actually great places. The church I used to go to was liberal and taught morals and ideas rather than trying to brainwash me by introducing religion as undeniable fact. I actually have a limited connection with the church still. Tho I dont suppose a church with that name would fit this description.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”