Changing Database Server

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chris
Forum Admin

Changing Database Server

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi all,

Sometime during the next week I will be moving Lufia World's database over to a new server. I can't give a specific time and date just yet, but it is likely that there will be 1-2 hours of downtime on both the site and the forums to ensure that posts are not lost during the migration.

I'm hoping that the new server will speed up page loading times, so it should be worth the brief downtime. I will also be able to get rid of the flash banner ads once the move is complete.

Thanks,
Chris

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Wonderful, let me know how it goes okay!
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 pm

cool, those flash ads are getting real annoying.
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

Brown-Acid
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Brown-Acid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 am

Awesome
give me a moment so i can think up a good idea

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm testing a copy of the forums on the new server, you can take a look if you want. Generally the loading time is much better.

http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum-old/

NOTE: this is only a test site! This will not be the URL when we go live on the new server, and the database will be refreshed so as not to lose recent posts.

As an experiment, I also installed phpBB3 (we are currently using phpBB2):

http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/

What do you think? Is it worth upgrading to phpBB3, or do you prefer the current board software? Note that by upgrading we would lose a lot of the customisations (though I realise many of them have been neglected, e.g. the RPG).

Feedback appreciated!
- Chris
Last edited by Chris on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:05 pm

what kind of customisations will we lose?

about the RPG thing... it does need a upgrade badly (imo). but i don't think a lot of people use it. maybe cause of that reason. i myself was just waiting for somekind of guide or something like that.

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Lêi_Trigar wrote:what kind of customisations will we lose?

The RPG would be the main loss if we upgraded, but there could be a couple of other things (like quick reply) that might be lost. Log into the test forum and have a look around and let me know if any features have vanished that you find useful:

http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/index.php [the default theme is installed, but this can be changed.]

I haven't yet looked into them, but I am sure there will already be plenty of mods to install for phpBB3, so lost features like quick reply could probably be added back quite quickly.

In its current state the RPG is unplayable once you get above a certain level and would need a large amount of work. I will have some spare time to work on such upgrades between graduation in July and the start of my Ph.D in October. However, if only one or two people are ever going to use it, it may simply be preferable to retire the RPG and upgrade to phpBB3. I would then work on some other projects in my spare time (for example, I desperately want to revamp the site).

Any other feedback would be appreciated - I am not going to force through an upgrade to phpBB3 if people don't want it. :)
Last edited by Chris on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:59 pm

i just now browsed through them...
first thing i don't like about both is the way name is written... it looks all screwed up. :/
kinda like this; Lêi_Trigar... why is that?

other then that it looks good. will it have somekind of feature that will lock topics after a certain amount of time goes by? i kinda got scolded for reviving some old topics here. lol

and you are right about only a couple of people using the RPG thing... and that you could only get so far... Riclo is one of them, hes spent a good deal of time with it to.

well, my vote as far as phpBB3 is to keep phpBB2. but of course it's your decision. (not to sound rude or anything.)

but yeah, my only main complaint is the way my username got all weird looking...

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Lêi_Trigar wrote:i just now browsed through them...
first thing i don't like about both is the way name is written... it looks all screwed up. :/
kinda like this; Lêi_Trigar... why is that?

Probably down to conflicting database charsets. I'll try and fix this when importing the next database dump. Otherwise, I will fix it manually.

Lêi_Trigar wrote:other then that it looks good. will it have somekind of feature that will lock topics after a certain amount of time goes by? i kinda got scolded for reviving some old topics here. lol

Personally I'm not a fan of locking old topics, particularly when a board does not receive huge amounts of traffic. It can make a board look more dead than it is. For example, the board in this link auto-locks topics after a particular amount of time and it looks terrible! http://forums.gamespy.com/the_sims/b50162/p1

Lêi_Trigar wrote:and you are right about only a couple of people using the RPG thing... and that you could only get so far... Riclo is one of them, hes spent a good deal of time with it to.

I don't want people's efforts to go to waste, which is why I'm leaning towards keeping phpBB2.

Lêi_Trigar wrote:well, my vote as far as phpBB3 is to keep phpBB2. but of course it's your decision. (not to sound rude or anything.)

I personally prefer phpBB2 too, and am leaning towards keeping it and then focusing efforts on improving particular parts of it.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:44 am

Chris wrote:Probably down to conflicting database charsets. I'll try and fix this when importing the next database dump. Otherwise, I will fix it manually.

cool, thanks.

Chris wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of locking old topics, particularly when a board does not receive huge amounts of traffic. It can make a board look more dead than it is. For example, the board in this link auto-locks topics after a particular amount of time and it looks terrible! http://forums.gamespy.com/the_sims/b50162/p1

hm... good point. maybe just some then, like the new user ones? and others maybe after say 2 years?

Chris wrote:I don't want people's efforts to go to waste, which is why I'm leaning towards keeping phpBB2.

yeah, i think SinReVi is at LV. 52. that would be a shame. i think all it really needs is a big update. unless you don't have the time.

Chris wrote:I personally prefer phpBB2 too, and am leaning towards keeping it and then focusing efforts on improving particular parts of it.

yeah, i think that'll be best. i wonder where everyone else is? i'd like to hear what they have to say too. lol

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:03 am

To bad there isn't a way to make the RPG in Java or something instead of hacking the code of the site. Not necessarily MMO-ish but something like the old Neo Pets and Gaia Online stuff. Heck even flash based things if you're up to it.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Brown-Acid
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Brown-Acid » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 am

The only thing i could say is that phpBB3 doesnt seems more stylish but less Lufia....I guess it would be better if ou could have some sort of banner reinforcing that the forum is actually themed from a video game

The RPG is actually way interesting at the start...if youd do anything it would be good to have it more developed

Arrrgh god....your right Chris.....in unpopular forums the threads seem less univiting and terrible when autolocking is in place

Heck even flash based things if you're up to it.

I like that idea
give me a moment so i can think up a good idea

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 am

DarkMaster2101 wrote:To bad there isn't a way to make the RPG in Java or something instead of hacking the code of the site. Not necessarily MMO-ish but something like the old Neo Pets and Gaia Online stuff. Heck even flash based things if you're up to it.

yeah, if it was more like Gaia and the others i'd definitely be playing it.

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:46 am

FYI the server move will take place on either Monday or Tuesday. The status quo will remain for now (i.e. stick with phpBB2), and I'll see what can be done about fixing/upgrading the RPG after graduating in June.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:04 am

cool, hope it all works out.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”