New Lufia World: Ideas?

Talk about anything and everything in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chris
Forum Admin

New Lufia World: Ideas?

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 am

[This topic is about the main site, rather than the forum and RPG which are different topics altogether!]

Later in the year I would very much like to revamp Lufia World, in terms of both content and looks. The current layout has been in use for some time, and based upon GameSpy's Planet sites, it is looking inappropriate now that we have moved away from the GameSpy Network. I have a few ideas rattling around in my head, but generally feel that I would like to brighten up the site a bit and make more effective use of whitespace. The layout is something I can work on alone, though any ideas/suggestions are of course appreciated.

The main point of this topic is regarding the content of the site. Parts of the site are incomplete, and some parts have not been rewritten since I was 13 (and at nearly 21 my writing style quite simply must have improved since then!). I've been trying to work out how to freshen up the content when I don't really have enough free time to be able to update it alone, and have a couple of ideas to throw around.

I'd like to go all Web 2.0 on the site and turn to a collaborative model of maintaining content. I'm not suggesting we install a wiki and call it a day! Rather, have our news, articles, and features as normal, alongside game pages that can be edited by registered members in a wiki-like manner. Any wiki-like features would be fully integrated into the site (take http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/wiki/Fallout_3/ as an example; they use wiki technology but integrated it into the layout). With a collaborative model, the site would be easy to update, and content could be far better if our resident Lufia experts make an edit or two! :)

The revamp would also be a great time to expand our coverage of other Neverland games, many of which have been of great interest to Lufia fans.

Other interactive features could range from allowing (moderated) comments throughout the main site, to more regular polls, to a proper image gallery for fan art, to an interactive system for submitting and updating fan fiction... and more! We could even go as far as linking with Facebook, Digg, and other Web 2.0 sites.

All interactive features would be linked to a single account. So, rather than separately log into the wiki-like stuff, the forums, the gallery, etc. - you simply log in to "Lufia World" and you are ready to use all the features under that same username.

So what do you all think of these suggestions? Any ideas of your own?

I am really looking forward to being able to revamp the site (probably around August-September 2009), and hopefully spark more interest in the Lufia series.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Re: New Lufia World: Ideas?

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 am

I will not accept LufiaWiki. That is just so LAME. Instead call it Wikistopolis or Estowiki or something. Heck, even Wikifia.

Also, another sub-forum dedicated to Rune Factory and other Neverland games would be nice. I understand not CIMA because I couldn't find any good fun in the boss battles. But perhaps make a Rune Factory section as detailed as Lufia's.

Fan sections would be nice. And separate the dead Lufia Fan games from the in incomplete ones. I wish you could add a section for Bradshaw's and mine but I fear it may be too much to ask (well mine is obvious because I don't have a separate site, at least give something to Dekar and Bradshaw).

Why just Facebook and Digg? Try myspace and Twitter as well. Heck if you want to you could try to make a feed for Lufia World if anything for FFxii, Zelda Spirit Tracks, and Rune Factory secrets.

A shout board would be nice. Old tech, but works.

Also, try to have some form of Flash Player just in case the fans want to add a flash cartoon or recorded news to LW. I know you could just encode YouTube or something, but it would be nice.

Have a link to LW's most popular forum post. Non lufians may get a kick out of discussions. Of course the SPAM topics are out of the question.

Too bad we can't get someone like ScrewAttack.com or GameTrailers to help out with LW. I'm sure they have never heard of any Lufia game in their lives. Well except maybe for Ruins of Lore. If we can find a way to donate a cartridge of the first three Lufia games then maybe they'll try it out. Remembering, they're doing things their own way so don't get serious about this.

Speaking of donations, real money is always accepted anywhere.

And that ends my rant for tonight. Feel free to ignore.

Good Night.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Chris
Forum Admin

Re: New Lufia World: Ideas?

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am

DarkMaster2101,

Thanks for that post, you have some really great ideas there! Just want to clarify one thing in particular though:

DarkMaster2101 wrote:I will not accept LufiaWiki. That is just so LAME. Instead call it Wikistopolis or Estowiki or something. Heck, even Wikifia.

The idea isn't to set up a standalone wiki, but to allow registered members to edit any of the pages on the site in a wiki-like way. That is, the features you would expect of a wiki are completely integrated into the site. We would start off with the content as it is now, then a member might come along and decide to add something to the Sinistrals page and improve it. In the case of Rune Factory, I have not played the game, but another member might have and the site will provide the tools to allow them to add content about it. Just like at a standalone wiki you would be able to look at the history of a page and see who contributed to it.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I was kidding about the name, just in case you noticed (which you didn't).

As for Rune Factory, ask SinReVi.
---DarkMaster2101

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:30 pm

I remember Adam's Lufia Encyclopedia kinda flopped in the end...

If you want to know something about Rune Factory 1 or 2, feel free to ask me. But don't ask me about Rune Factory Frontier because I don't want to be accidentally spoilered! *takes out sword* :evil:
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 pm

SinReVi wrote:I remember Adam's Lufia Encyclopedia kinda flopped in the end...

There wouldn't be a separate encyclopedia like that... we would have the content we have currently, but it would become editable by any registered member of the forums. If nobody adds anything, then that's fine as I will continue to maintain it at the very least; but it could be worth it even if the only contributions by others are minor (lots of minor contributions over a long period of time can make quite a difference).

Try to think of Lufia World as it is now (with an improved layout); the main difference being that anyone can edit pages, not just me. Any such functionality would be fully integrated so that it still looks like a fan site; the last thing I want is for us to look like a Wiki!

Foomy
Knight

Postby Foomy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:37 am

You know what else would be kinda cool? To have an instant messaging system similar to facebook. That way we could talk directly to fellow lufians who are online. Its probably hard to setup but i think it would be worth it.
Don't make me cast you into the fires of oblivion.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 am

Isn't that what IRC is for?
---DarkMaster2101

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:51 am

I've started messing around with those social network integration ideas at another site I am involved with:

http://planetthesims.gamespy.com/

Notice the links on the homepage to a Twitter profile (a very new one at that): http://twitter.com/PlanetTheSims

A similar sort of thing can be set up for LW.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”