Lufia-Patches Version 2.16 (Retrans, Kureji Lufia, La Puella)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Artemis wrote:I dunno whether I can do anything about the church, but I might try.

Torrent is some kind of pun with the word "Ent", I guess.

Palsy is another word for paralysis as "Paralysis Cure" was too long for the in-battle menu.

I accidentally changed Thunderball into ThunderBall.

But "your standing here" sounds strange I think.

Well, seems like the Retranslation patch completely canceled that Jessy should be invincible. I really hope that my patches don't cancel some of Reli's patches as well.

I didn't know about "You OK?" because when I searched for it in the internet I couldn't find anything about this phrase. Thank you very much!

I'll look for the sir, but I don't know whether there's enough space.

Hmm, of corse I won't let it stay so. Sorry that I've to spam you with updates.

Church Grammar Flub: I'm guessing they're interlinked somehow since the messages are so similar, but it looks simple to fix.

"Torrent": Is it? I've seen this before. The Treant Forest in Tales of Symphonia was mistranslated as the "Torent Forest" when the English GameCube version was released. And as you can see, "Torent" is just one letter off from "Torrent". I think this is a case of mistranslation, honestly. I'm not actually sure if there is a differentiation from "Torrent" and "Treant" in the Japanese language. What little I know of it would lead me to believe that they're both spelled "torento". Maybe one's spelled "toreento".

Palsy: Oh, alright. That's perfectly fine, then! Thank you.

ThunderBall: Whoops. I didn't know that.

"your standing here": Confering with a friend who is an English major at the moment on which is correct.

Jessy Stuff: So far, she's the only reverted one I encountered. Then again, I only just met up with Guy and Dekar at the shrine to Aleyn... By the way, you mean "invisible". "Invincible" would mean she couldn't be removed!

"You OK?": Yeah, that's how it's spelled. No problem!

"Sir Selan": It's fine if you can't fit it; it just struck me as odd.

It's fine to spam with updates. If anything, it's a good thing. :lol:

More notes to come!

---

Rather than calling the Thunder Ring and S-Thun Ring "Boom Ring" and "S-Boom Ring", why not call them the "Bolt Ring" and "S-Bolt Ring"? This pertains to everything else that says "Boom" when it means something thunder-elemental. It's just that "Boom" brings to mind explosive magic and that hasn't existed since The Fortress of Doom and isn't reintroduced until Ruins of Lore.

Then again, what was wrong with "Thunder Ring" and "S-Thun Ring"? The "Protect Ring"'s super equivalent had to be truncated ("S-Pro Ring"), and that was left the same.

---

I know it'd be a rather useless change, but the dummied scenario item PURIFIA is the Priphea. Apparently, in the Japanese version, Priphea is "purifia". Thus, this item should be called PRIPHEA.

---

The La Fleshia enemy is actually the Rafflesia. Go >HERE< to find out about it. Since you're leaving references like "Katyusha" intact, I thought it might be a good idea to keep Rafflesia intact.

---

When you warp back to Aleyn after getting the Fabled Wood for Jyad, there's a little problem: Guy and Dekar are stuck inside the pillars! Of course, this was in the orignal game, but I thought you might be able to do something about it. Here's an image.

---

Can we restore "heaven" and "hell" references? They were changed to "paradise" and "purgatory" respectively.

---

The "Apoll Shield" can probably be the "Apollo Targe".

---

The "Venus Fly" enemy should probably be the "Venus Trap", as it's not an insect-type enemy.

---

The "Evil Fish" enemy is most likely a censored version of the "Devilfish"--a variant on the name of the squid. I don't know if KWhazit's site said anything different, but this is what I believe.

---

Are you sure that the "She Viper" enemy isn't supposed to be the "Sea Viper"?

---
I'm 20 hours and 31 minutes into my playthrough on "Retry" mode as of this writing. I'll keep more feedback comin'!!
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun May 31, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for all the information. About the enemies, here are some more names I don't really get:

Armor Dait
Aqualoi
Doben (abbreviation of doberman?)
Winger (sure it has wings, but are there creatures called so?)
Serfaco
Pug (isn't it a dog?)
Bruse
Coridras
Tartona
Armor Nail
Sentopez
Garbost
Snell (=snail?)
Current
Brokion
Snow Gas
Great Coca
Nuborg
Ochi Warrior
Warm Eye (why warm?)

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:24 pm

These ones I have an idea of what they're supposed to be.

- Aqualoi: Apparently it's some tabletop RPG term, as well as something in Latin.

- Doben: Yeah, I think it's supposed to be a play off of "Doberman"--they wanted to reference the dog without actually calling it the Doberman.

- Winger: I'm not sure about the Japanese name, but this is probably just the translators having a little fun.

- Pug: This was something like "Flamefreak" in Lufia & the Fortress of Doom. D, who listed an Estpolis I > Lufia I changes guide, said his Japanese name was "Bug", but I'd trust the Lufia II localizers here as 'b' and 'p' are very easy to confuse when you see them in Kana, I'm told.

- Coridras: I got a mistype result that lead to the Corydoras. It's the name of the genus of a catfish, though, and this is a snake... D's Estpolis > Lufia guide helped cement this though; he called it the same thing, "Corydoras".

- Sentopez: This one's supposed to be "Centipede" of course!

- Snell: Yes, most likely it's "Snail".

- Current: Shortened form of "Beast of the Currents" maybe?

- Brokion: Really reaching out here with this one, but "Brachiosaur" maybe?

- Ochi Warrior: I think this is supposed to be "Orochi Warrior", though don't quote me on that.

- Warm Eye: This is probably supposed to be "Warn Eye", as in the "Alarm Eye" enemy from Final Fantasy IV. I'm guessing it's just a simple mistype.

---

These ones I have no clue on what they are.

- Armor Dait: Tried to Google up some stuff and all I got was the source you used for the enemy names (Which was in Kana) and a bunch of LII stuff.

- Serfaco: No luck here, either.

- Tartona: "Tartona" apparently means "Snack in the afternoon" in Tagalog. :lol: I don't know if it means "snack which you have in the afternoon" or "person who snacks on something in the afternoon" though. If it's the second one, then that fits fine--it wants to eat your team, right? I'm honestly not really sure on this though.

- Armor Nail: Uh, I got some results for a finger nail strengthener, but nothing else...

- Garbost: I initially thought it was "Barghest" until I noticed the 'g' and 'b' are in the entirely wrong places. Then I looked a picture of the Garbost up and I saw it was a crab. So we're back to "I have no idea".

- Snow Gas: No idea.

- Great Coca: No idea; Googled and got some results for the white illegal narcotic, though. >_>

- Nuborg: No clue. I think it's the metal Golem though, right? Maybe you should just call it "Steel Golem" or something.

It looks like we're gonna need someone with Japanese reading skills to help us out on most of these! Sad to say I lack the skill.

EDIT: More stuff!

A dragon enemy has his name spelled "Wypern". This should be "Wyvern."
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I also wonder what Wheel Eel is supposed to mean.

And I changed the dialogues in the church. However, I'm afraid I can't do anything against displaying "TTIME" and "GGOLD" after curing or lifting.

Here the Japanese names of some monsters:

Winger: Uindona
Serfaco: Serufakuo
Pug: Pagu
Bruse: Burusu
Coridras: Koridorasu
Sentopez: Sentoroope
Garbost: Gaabosuto
Grianos: Gurianosu
Current: Kairyuu (=current)
Moray Vine: Uitsubokazura http://www.google.de/search?q=%E3%82%A6%E3%83%84%E3%83%9C%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BA%E3%83%A9&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a -> Nepenthes?
Torrent: Torento (however, torrent is spelled so as well in Japanese)
Wheel Eel: Uiruiru
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:08 am

Uindona: Windoner? No, 'er' can only come from 'aa'... Windona. Lemme Google. Apparently "Windona" is a feminine name, a variant of Winona.

Serufako: Selfako? Hmm, what's that referencing... I looked "Serufa" means "burned" in some language. Maybe "-ko" is supposed to be like, the "-ko" in "Usako" or "Kyoko", which would mean it's a feminine version of Serufa. Then again, that could be reaching out there a bit.

Pagu: Yeah, probably supposed to be Pug.

Burusu: It's apparently a Japanese surname. I think you have it right as "Bruse".

Koridorasu: The only thing I can think of this referencing is the catfish genus "Corydoras".

Sentoroope: Centoropede? Centaurpeh? No idea. Seems to me like it's in the line of the "Doben vs. Doberman" thing (Switching around/removing/adding vowels). I'd settle on Centaurpede, myself.

Gaabosuto: This only seems logical to lead to Garbost. Couldn't find anything on Google either.

Gurianosu: Putting in "Gurianosu" got Japanese results. "Gurianos" got results for some Commodore 64 game. "Grianosu" got no results.

Kairyuu: 'kai' means "water" or "sea" or something similar if I'm not mistaken (Which I very well might be). 'ryuu' means "dragon". So, Sea Dragon.

---

Karyn says "Through this door is the Spirit Room whose concentrated energy gives power to the mind." The Spirit Room isn't a person! She shouldn't be saying "whose". This should be "Through this door is the Spirit Room. Its concentrated energy gives power to the mind." Yes, without the apostrophe--'its' is used when it belongs to someone or something. Just letting you all know I didn't mistype!

---

Also with Karyn at the shrine. She says something that isn't consistent with the following dialogue. She says, "Isn't it true that had I resisted then, you would have harmed the people in my village and..." This should be "Isn't it true, had I resisted then, you would've harmed the people in my village? And..."

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 am

Moray Vine: Uitsubokazura http://www.google.de/search?q=%E3%82%A6%E3%83%84%E3%83%9C%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BA%E3%83%A9&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a -> Nepenthes?
Torrent: Torento (however, torrent is spelled so as well in Japanese)
Wheel Eel: Uiruiru
Brokion: Burokion
Snow Gas: Sunoogasu
Great Coca: Gureeto Koka
Nuborg: Nuuboo
Last edited by Artemis on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:48 am

Uitsubokazura: "Nepenthes" works.

Torento: Yeah, this one's definitely gotta be Trent.

Uiruiru: Seems to me like it's an untranslatable onomatopoeia.

Burokion, Sunoogasu, Gureeto Koka: Did you try running the Kana through Google? That helped you find out "Nepenthes", at least. I tried putting the Romaji through Google in several different transliterations and it came up with nothing.

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:52 am

Yes, tried it with the kana in google.

Can't find anything wrong with the Karyn sentences. IIRC I didn't change anything aside from changing divine to spirit. However, I might look tomorrow for it.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 am

Artemis wrote:Yes, tried it with the kana in google.

Then I'd suggest leaving "Uiruiru" and "Burokion" in Romaji. The "Sunoogasu" enemy I'd think is "Snowgas" as just one word. "Gureeto" in "Gureeto Koka" obviously means "Great", so I'd just recommend leaving "Koka" as-is (Making it "Great Koka" rather than "Great Coca"). I just now noticed Nuuboo added to your post--changing it to "Nubor" seems fine (The 'g' seems to come out of nowhere in the US translation :shock:).

Artemis wrote:Can't find anything wrong with the Karyn sentences. IIRC I didn't change anything aside from changing divine to spirit. However, I might look tomorrow for it.

It's more grammar flubs from the original game. I figured you'd be able to fix them. I'm almost finished with the game I believe. Just some more shrines, right? :D

More notes! I'm almost done, don't worry. :lol:

---

The infamous "Capsule Monsters' new attacks run off the border" bug! This was in the original.

I'd suggest putting the "<Skill>" text on a separate, indented line.

---

I'm 27 and a half hours in. To be honest, I've cheated my ass off. :lol: Especially in the Ancient Cave. :P I just completed the Shrine of Vengeance (I didn't see anything about a "sacred truth" though :?:). Next up is Preamarl, then Chaed, and after that, the Sealed Towers, right?

Afterwords, I'm going to probably go through the entirety of Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals AGAIN. :D Well, once v2.0 of Frue Lufia is released. Sorta makes me wonder why no one's bothering to help Artemis test this...

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 pm

The capsule monster thing was easy to fix, luckily.

And when I test dialogues I cheat all the time as well. Four egg rings for the win! :D

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:58 am

Final set of notes! I'm still not done with the game, of course, but I'm near the end enough to say I'm done testing. :D

---

When you get the Mermaid Ball, it says you got the "Ball of Mermaids". Also, can you make the Mermaid Ball/Ball of Mermaids the Mermaid Gem? A gem seems a little more mermaid-esque, at least, from what I read in fairy tales.

---

The prince of Gratze says "Humph! Silly people! Did they really think they could escape? Fine. I needed some target practice." 'silly people' here seems a bit too literal for my tastes--and a bit too odd for someone who wants to take over the world! I personally believe this should read "Humph! Idiots! Did they really think they could escape? Fine. I needed some target practice."

---

Something the Elder of Narvick says struck me as odd: "They gave us armor, shield and helmet. We put them in the three towers." I think this should be "They gave us armor, a shield and a helmet. We put them in the 3 towers."

---

Gades has a small typo in his Shuman text: "Mm hm. Erim, Amon, Daos and me, of course. The time has come for us to rule the world!" There should be a - between "Mm" and "hm", thus making it read: "Mm-hm. Erim, Amon, Daos and me, of course. The time has come for us to rule the world!"

---

Is it just me, or did the editors get careless around the end of the game? The elder of Narvick says "We cannot waste Lisa's feeling. Marie, come over here, please." That just sounds really awkward. This should probably read, "We can't waste Lisa's sacrifice. Marie, come over here please." Y'know, really strikes me as odd that we can have a Tower of Sacrifice but we can't mention someone makes/is a sacrifice. :P

---

The "Small Shrine to Dragon Egg" should be "Small Shrine to Egg Dragon".

---

Can't believe I never noticed this--there's another instance of "You're OK" after defeating Daos. I don't know the exact punctuation, but Maxim says, "You're OK, Guy?" As I've said before, this is not grammatically correct, and should be "You OK, Guy?"

---

I do so rightly believe that I am done testing, since I already went through my last final save and looked at IP Skill names, item names, and the ending.

EDIT: Yup, I clocked in at 31 hours and 40 minutes; I completed the Egg Dragon quest (For the first time :lol:) and beat the game. Seriously, though, 22 Miracles the entire game? And you only find 6 in the first 3/4 of it. WTF. :x

Finally, I have some personal requests at the bottom here, one of which may be impossible as of now.

---

Is there anything you can do about Amon's palette? He has green hair out of battle, and blue hair when in it. That really irks me.

---

While I'm here, I'm going to, again, push for "Waking Voice" and "Piercing Cry" be turned back into "Awaken" and "Shriek". "Awaken" and "Shriek" are the traditional Lufia names, and I, personally, would like them back.

---

I'd again like to remind you that you even said you might go back and use the Lufia & the Fortress of Doom dialogue in the final dungeon where applicable. :P The only thing I'd leave as the RotS dialogue is when Maxim asks Selan to use the Light spell. In TFoD he's sort of an ass about it, and she comes off as really submissive (Maxim: "Selan. Light Magic." Selan: "As you wish."). That's not the Maxim and Selan we know in Lufia II, so just leave them as they are (Maxim: "Selan, use the spell Light." Selan: "Alright.")
Last edited by vivify93 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:32 am

Remember, they hardly made Maxim's character in Lufia I. He was there for the prolouge, nothing more. The initial translation of Lufia I was never influenced from Lufia II because of release date.

I hardly saw a problem with Lufia I's translation. Lufia II is where NATSUME screwed it up. And don't get me started on TLR. Even with a re-translation TLR will always be as stupid ass retarded as it is.

Also, let me know when you get started on FoD. I'll probably be there for a cheated speed run. I just have to re-live the story.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 am

I played the games in numerical order, so I'm already done with TFoD. XD But like I said, I'm gonna wait for Frue Lufia v2.0 before re-conquering TFoD and RotS, then moving on to TLR (I loved it even with its horrible translation :D)

I saw a few problems with Lufia I's translation. Like dying people speaking perfectly normal. Churches not even being called "houses of healing" or "temples", but "huts". There were a couple of awkward instances of dialogue, too (The most memorable one was where Gades went "You. Woman.... You!" at Lufia :P). I'd need to replay the game to find the entire handful of them, though.

EDIT: One last thing--there's always one last thing.

The enemy "Crow" should probably be "Dodo" as the sprite itself looks nothing like a crow.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 am

vivify wrote:Gades has a small typo in his Shuman text: "Mm hm. Erim, Amon, Daos and me, of course. The time has come for us to rule the world!" There should be a - between "Mm" and "hm", thus making it read: "Mm-hm. Erim, Amon, Daos and me, of course. The time has come for us to rule the world!"

Eh? What happened to "Yours truly"?

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

No idea, looking back. Ask Artemis.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”