It starts...

Share your Lufia fan fiction and artwork in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

It starts...

Postby Anthony » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNfwW3MQHQ

It's not much yet, but I'm finally able to start creating content ^.^

Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Acknowledgements:
- The beautiful song that you hear has been used with permission, and is written by jamestonbellajo, I highly recommend you to listen to the full version at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgl66V...

I don't think he is the creator of the song. The song is from http://www3.pf-x.net/~arrow-field/music.html
the site has more remixes from Lufia and other games. The site is old and seems to have gone offline but you can still visit it with archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/200604291554 ... music.html

You can even download the mp3 files from it, the file you used is http://web.archive.org/web/200604291554 ... ulifia.mp3

I know I downloaded it looooooong long ago.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Crap, that would suck... he has more songs though, and never said anything about him not writing it when we mailed... I'll keep the credits as I have them now, but it would be sad if he didn't write them indeed...

Tony

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:50 am

I like what you're doing. (Unlike me who has done absolutely nothing!)

Question, how high of a resolution are you using? 800x600, 480i? Sometimes that matters with 2D visuals.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:09 am

Currently, a testframe of 800 by 600, and redrawing every pixel every iteration, to test how far I can stretch the graphics. If they work like this on my crappy computer, surely they'll work on anyone's. The biggest issues I came across that I didn't foresee was capping the FPS (I was at 300-odd before I learned how to lower it), and screentearing (before I learned of vsynching). I can heavily increase performance when I get the Z buffer working, which means that pixels aren't drawn if they're behind already drawn ones- currently, I sort all objects by depth, which makes for a very slow method, especially if the amount of objects increases...

Tony

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Even if the game has a crappy resolution, art style will always prevail. I remember that the max resolution of the SNES was 512x478 so you're doing great.

I still prefer 480 res making my games because of the space and detail you can put into the game. It isn't too big nor is it too small. Besides, I want to make console games.

I still think that 800x600 would work great with a detailed Lufia game.
---DarkMaster2101

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 pm

I've put wiiware(/homebrew) out of my mind myself; perhaps one day after uni, hehe. What I did do as much as possible is keeping things crossplatform as much as possible, and taking into account that the game will one day be ported to platforms other than the PC. Meaning that, if I want to alter the input for example, I have to alter only one file in the entire project. It's not a priority whatsoever of course, not for a starting einzelgänger :)

But I do agree with you on the resolution. The size of the window is good on today's computer's, but the elements in it are rather small now. Currently, I use the original 16x16 tiles from Lufia II, but eventually I want to make the step from that to custom 32x32 tiles. It will look more like a currentday game, it'll ensure the view doesn't get too big, it will avoid any copyright issues, and will make the game 100% communitybased. The fun starts when I start delving into the possibilities of both the engine and the rendering capabilities of the graphics card; the light effects I have in mind and used in a fireworks application in the past could make spells and animations a tad more visually appealing :)

Tony

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 am

I would like to make a note upon thinking beyond today's current consoles. If you wish to port your games to different systems in the future, changing the input is the least of your problems. I mean sure the Wii Remote and the 360 controllers are different (as well as button quantity), but generally input is the same. Controller 1 input would have switches to detect in an array of what button is what. Example A would be joypad_0, B = Joypad_1, Second analog stick is Z axis change/rotation ect.

Then we would have to worry about the Playstation 3's 8 processors. Small games like this doesn't matter. But bigger multi-platform games have to work with the limitations/complications of every system (graphics, controller lag, ect). Japanese Algebra is harder than American that's for sure.

Multi-platform software aside, do you at least get my point? Even though most systems have the same type of statue in their design (processor, video and sound cards), the things that make the system unique can sometimes bring complications.

Then again, maybe not. Hmm... I'll have to re-think this. Nintendo, Microsoft, and even Sony wouldn't let an average joe like me know the exact circuitry and algorithms without something.

As for the PC part, take this as a grain of salt.
---DarkMaster2101

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:21 am

Nintendo is more demanding as far as their devkits go, but Microsoft's stuff was free for students, if I recall correctly. But you're absolutely right, multithreading etc. makes it all a lot more complicated- much more than the scope of my ambition goes, hehe :)

Tony

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:02 am

looking good Ant!
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Nice start for the game. Can't wait to see more from you.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Thank you, highly appreciated :) I will continue again after a week, got exams and a metal festival to attend to :) Progress should pace up after that. Keeping it a solo project for now though, I really don't want to disappoint people :)

Tony

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Do you have an idea for a story or innovations to gameplay? Because I am sure I could edit and create some sprites for original characters if you want it.
---DarkMaster2101

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 pm

None whatsoever yet... gameplay ideas I can do, but storywise... I'll leave that to people that can actually write interesting stories :D And spriteartists would be more than welcome, though I must warn you; I can never promise any deadlines whatsoever... they can never be fulfilled anyways by small teams doing this all in their sparetime, and would only lead to disappointments... none of which LW can use :)

A friend of mine promised to let his artistic juices flow, and come up with some music in due time, but I told him what I'll tell everyone involved; take your time, mañana :P

Before I actually start asking people for help though, I want to make sure I have made the proper decisions before doing so. The more I thought of it, the more I came to realise that a higher resolution is by far preferrable than the 16x32 sprites and 16x16 tiles I'm currently using as concept graphics. However, it also (most likely, I'm no spriter) means that the work involved is all the much more, and has to be convincing enough to keep it at that resolution. Also, the engine currently shows the Lufia II walking animation; not much more than an additional frame on top of the standing frame. The engine supports additional frames though, so we could really make him walk, rather than just stand-step-stand-step :)

I'll have to decide before I can ask people to spend time, attention, effort and resources to this project. If I have to do something myself over and over, I can live with it... but I wouldn't ask that of anyone else. The biggest problem in the team I was in as a kid was that we were too indecisive, resulting in the spriters to create extra sprites just in case, and me writing code that could do way too much, but used only a fraction. I must avoid that now that I'm actually scaling things up :)

I'm off to Belgium tomorrow for the weekend, going to vent of some steam at a metal festival... after that, we can talk again. I still really feel like we could make a cool game if we sat around the table together, and design our dream game. It would have to be freeware, and we wouldn't make a dime if we kept the Lufia title attached to it, but you could look at it this way; it's a great way to familliarise ourselves with such a project, and it would look great on our CV. Plus, with some luck, the result will be played by a reasonable audience... that idea alone makes it worth it for me :)

Tony

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 pm

The only way I can actually do spriting is if I have something as a base. Sure, I've edited stuff that came with my RPGMaker XP and I have done recolors before (to create sprites of children of RPG characters), but I'm no good at free form drawing.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

Return to “Lufia Fan Works”