Too Long

Share your Lufia fan fiction and artwork in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey, it's Tia!
I remember you. Your drawings were great!
Still drawing?

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 pm

I think I've heard about you, Tia, but only heard. Its good to know some of the veterans of LW are showing up again to support this project.

Aslo, for VO's I am thinking not really sprites but stand still portraits. If you find a way to animate them, horray!
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Can't speak for the guys, but progress on my end is slow, but steady. I've got most of the essentials of my engine covered now, the occasional glitch aside. A month's work netted me the following:

Graphics (OpenGL)
    - Sprite management. Sprites are loaded from png sheets, and can be given parameters such as rotation, scaling, color filtering, animation with per-frame delays, alpha channels, and partial transparancy (the color #FF00FF is not drawn purposely). Still having problems with the Z buffer, meaning that depth is not yet implemented- sprites that are drawn last are drawn in front of the previous drawings.
    - Camera movement, with gradual or static following any object. Allows for switching between objects, and will attempt to have the object it's focussed on in the center of the screen at any time.
    - Text displaying. Fonts are PNG textures, but can be given any color dynamicly with the same small png.
    - All image loading is done in such a way that the textures can be given a higher resolution without having to alter a single line of code, meaning that I could decide to improve graphics as the project progresses.
    - An early challenge was to regulate the framerate, and make use of vsynching. Both are fixed though.

Audio (SDL Mixer)
    - Both a music and sound effect manager, to dynamicly load and play sounds. Nothing fancy here, just enough to be able to play sound :)

Input (SDL)
    - A keyboard event system, that keeps track of the states of all keyboard keys, and is able to send messages to the ingame objects for the various possibilities; keyup, keydown, keypressed and keyreleased. Works on all western keyboards.

Maps (Mappy custom export file)
    - Dynamic loading of custom made map files made with a map editor tool. While I don't have a full editor, Mappy will suffice to create the basic maps, without any objects in them.
    - Maps can have up to 9 layers, and are loaded from small textfiles containing references to tilesheets- PNG's with up to 1024 graphic tiles of which the map is built from. One layer is reserved for collision detection, the rest is free to use for both background and foregrounds.
    - Tiles can be animated, and animations can be either of the following: forward loop, backward loop, pingpong, one-time, and one-time while stopping at the first frame.
    - Map system is designed as such that all people need to do to send eachother custom maps, is to simply distribute the textfiles. No bloating the maps with additional graphics, every player has all they need already.

Objects (JSON_Spirit)
- Object information is loaded from external textfiles, and contains information such as texture, animation frames, ingame purpose, reaction to events (keyboard, player actions, collision, code it needs to perform each frame, ...), bounding box, etc.
- Instances of those objects are set up in such a way that they inherit default (void) behaviour, and can decide for themselves what code they perform on which events. A wall doesn't have to react on keyboard events for example, but will have to perform some magic upon collision with moving objects.

All of the above combined shows me a screen with the 5 heroes I have sprites of, on a moveable, animated map, a dull old grandpa, fore- and backgrounds, with a variable screen intensity, variable color overlay (think a red glow in a lava dungeon, to name something), the player being able to run, spin in place (Think Lufia II in sito rotation), push and lift objects, and a camera that does its best to track Maxim down. It's a tremendous amount of work to build something from scratch, but the time has finally come where I can build it out to become a game :)

For the curious among you: everything is programmed in C++, using OpenGL and SDl for both graphics and input. Theoreticly, this means it could still be cross-platform, but that is not a priority for me.
Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

Tia
Knight

Postby Tia » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:42 am

*shivers* C++ is one evil language to code. Though every coding is pure evil, just wish you could do it like "If I press this, then that happens", would make things so much easier ;). As far as I can see there's quiet some progress then, that's good to hear :).

Hey, it's Tia!
I remember you. Your drawings were great!
Still drawing?

Yay, someone remembers me hehe! :). Thanks! Yes I still draw occasionally, not as often as before as I was burnt down by my education of arts, even had to stop that one. Though now I draw more then when I was there, so that's good!
I think I've heard about you, Tia, but only heard. Its good to know some of the veterans of LW are showing up again to support this project.

Aslo, for VO's I am thinking not really sprites but stand still portraits. If you find a way to animate them, horray!

Think it's 2yrs since I posted here for the last time. No idea why that stopped, guess it was due to losing my favourites, but thank god my hotmail still exsisted and found the link again!

Animated portraits, I personally don't think that fits with Lufia. Just portraits with maybe textballoons would be cool, since Lufia always worked with that kind of stuff *the balloon kinda thing*. Though the portraits were in the somewhat newer ones? *I never really played those as it wasn't "Lufia" in my eyes ;(.

Anyway, seems you guys are going pretty ok, can't wait till it's finished! If you need help with animations/ sprites/ graphics or whatever I'll see if I can help out as well :). Would love to voiceact, but I got a horrible Dutch accent when I talk, not as much as before, but it's still there.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Lufia RoL has portraits in the text balloons for main characters and some of the NPC's.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:10 pm

*shivers* C++ is one evil language to code. Though every coding is pure evil, just wish you could do it like "If I press this, then that happens", would make things so much easier Wink. As far as I can see there's quiet some progress then, that's good to hear Smile.

I love C++ over any language I ever tried... I used to think it was pure evil as well, until there came a point where I discovered more obscure languages, and had to use them in a practical environment... I never looked back in anger :P

As to the dialogue... I really liked the textballoon approach as seen in Lufia II. Personally, I myself will stick to the balloons without portraits for now, though that may change in the future- it could add a layer of depth if we'd add facial expressions for emotions, for example. I'd only consider it if I was confident enough on the artist though :)

Tony

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Do what you think is best... I'll just be sitting here bored that I can't do anything.

Also, I suppose in the future we will have to throw out all the amazing ten million dollar tool sets because well... They're expensive! $10,000,000 USD per license (just for one computer)!? Where will any normal person get that kind of money.

Emphasis on future.
---DarkMaster2101

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 pm

10 million? Where did you get that? I can't remember the price for the Wii SDk, but it's not availlable for your avarage programmer anyways. One f the demands is that you need to have an office space away from home, for example. I thought it was only a few thousand dollars though, not even remotely what you've stated... what tools are those then?

...why wouldn't you be able to start though?

Tony

EDIT: Removed some stuff after consideration.

Brown-Acid
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Brown-Acid » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 pm

dont worry i carry a spare $10000000 in my wallet....*opens wallet*

money comes from investors, sponsers etc.......or equipment is leased
give me a moment so i can think up a good idea

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Anthony wrote:10 million? Where did you get that?

As I said, Emphasis on "Future."
---DarkMaster2101

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Doh... I meanto to say "why do you think it takes 10.000.000 for toolsets"... not "how did you get 10.000.000", hehe. Rereading your post, I have no idea how I interpreted it as such. Rereading though, I am now completely lost as to what you did mean :P The part where you say that you're bored because you can't do anything though- I think I linked that to the ten million, of which I assumed you thought SDK's were... my bad, my apologies :)

I read another bit that you may find interesting by the way. In order to even be able to buy the Wii SDK, you do indeed need a working prototype on a different platform to show before they will even sell it. This surprised me, but you were right indeed.

A question though... do you happen to have knowledge of C++? If so, why not collab, and do something if you're fruely bored, yet enthousiastic to create something?

Tony

Foomy
Knight

Postby Foomy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:54 pm

I wish i knew c++ maybe making an rpg would be easier. As far the progress goes, I'm at a standstill. As I stated when I first posted this topic I'll be moving this month, So I won't be working on the fan game for a few weeks. Once I get settled into my new place I'll pick back up on it. So around the 30th is when you can expect to hear what I've come up with so far.
Don't make me cast you into the fires of oblivion.

Indalecio
Red Jelly

Postby Indalecio » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am

Hello everyone! I used to play Lufia games in the old days and think this is a neat project. If you still are looking for a storyline idea - maybe it would be neat to explore a new perspective: where did these sinistrals come from? How did they come to be? Were they always these embodiments of evil? I think perhaps a story that is a little darker than the traditional Lufia games might be something to explore. Corruptible heroes perhaps? Make a prequel that explores some of the ideas in the Lufia mythology - Arek, the dual blade, and all that?

Regardless - if you need a writer: I'm an amateur but looking to improve. I also do a little freelance composing here and there; however, I wont be able to do the whole score or even work on music till probably October.

Foomy
Knight

Postby Foomy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Ok guys, sorry about the wait. I'm finally settled in at my new place, so I'll be working on my fan game again. Figured I keep you posted.
Don't make me cast you into the fires of oblivion.

Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 am

Foomy wrote:Ok guys, sorry about the wait. I'm finally settled in at my new place, so I'll be working on my fan game again. Figured I keep you posted.

good to know. :)
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

Return to “Lufia Fan Works”