It starts...

Share your Lufia fan fiction and artwork in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
Anthony
Hero of the Lufians
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am

I might have a problem though. Some classmates also saw the work, and though they liked what they saw, the ICT in Business people warned me that it was a bad idea to put so much effort in a fangame to which I do not have the rights. I knew it was coming, but... I may have to throw overboard all sprites that I currently have, and start drawing my own programmers art- and drop the name Lufia alltogether. It would still feel like a Lufia game, I hope... but to avoid legal mumbojumbo, I'd have to change a lot...

Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

User avatar
Lêi_Trigar
Sinistral Slayer
Posts: 770
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:33 am
Contact:

Postby Lêi_Trigar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 am

ah crap...
My username is pronounced LEE-EYE_TRY-GAR.

Lufia World Lotteries Won; 16, Tickets Bought; 68.

My other home... My Profile

User avatar
Anthony
Hero of the Lufians
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 am

Myeah, kinda... but what's the most important thing that makes a game; the name, or the gameplay? :)
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

User avatar
DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Wavespace (where the sinistrals were born)
Contact:

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:19 pm

I would avoid making any fan game for universities. Whether or not you submit the game for profit or not doesn't matter. In the end, the university gets the right to your game in exchange for a diploma.

At least that is what DeVry University said.

Another reason why I am no longer disclosing details for my fan game(s). But why rant on?

Damn, so you may have to chuck out Lufia based resources. The only way to work on anything now days is to program the engine from scratch. Maybe binary... That's thinking too much about it.

/rant
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

User avatar
Anthony
Hero of the Lufians
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Well, it's still for personal use... but they have a bit more knowledge about legal aspects and the like :) But indeed, it's custom at mine as well; everything you make that has the university's tag on, be it an assignment or research, is more or less theirs.

And it's not that much of a problem, at this stage of development... as all the non-original I'm using is sprites, which can be replaced. The engine is from scratch, and completely mine; that it's imitating another game is not a problem at all, especially not in the case of RPG's, where originality is somewhat lacking :)

The reason I am keeping regular updates here, and elsewhere, is for a sneaky reason. Not just to keep the community alive, maybe even hopeful... but to benefit from their feedback. Enthousiastic comments, criticism, ideas... it helps me to keep motivated, and hopefully sends me in the right direction. For which I'm thankful :)
Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

waveflux
Villager
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Postby waveflux » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:02 am

Hey Tony,

I know all the issues with fan games and that's why my RPG will be lufia like but not a lufia sequel. It's a decision that you need to make with its pros and cons.

User avatar
Anthony
Hero of the Lufians
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anthony » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am

That's probably the smartest course of action indeed. Aside from the legal issues, it also makes way for an entirely new universum, 100% breathing room for a story... but it has to make it on its own now, rather than by the name :)

Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

User avatar
DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Wavespace (where the sinistrals were born)
Contact:

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Anthony wrote:That's probably the smartest course of action indeed. Aside from the legal issues, it also makes way for an entirely new universum, 100% breathing room for a story... but it has to make it on its own now, rather than by the name :)

Tony


Well, I do have some good news. Those are the reasons why I made the stories of my Lufia concepts different than the rest. Stagnate Memories takes place in a 1920-30's scenario with more man vs man (with Sinistrals still there of course). Battle Tactics is a parallel story with a kid who enters a virtual reality based on Lufia I. Sure I plan to one day to make these projects legal, but we can't just completely base the game on the name anymore. Perhaps Estopolis, but not Lufia.

Another thing to look out for is useless innovation. Bringing a Lufia-esk game up to next gen standards (minimum Wii) is a good thing. But doing something completely random with the gameplay without thinking about it thrice (whether it be an updated RPG standard, cross genre, or just something original), will probably end the game up in the gutter. Look at Sonic Unleashed. The werehog (though more developed than Sonic himself) was a gimmeck to give the game a "hook". Sonic unleashed may gave the franchise a second chance. It wasn't impressive, especially the broken with the unresponsive controls.

You are using Estopolis as your template for a game. Remember before you add anything, either graphics or gameplay, make sure you plan those out and test them. Pen and paper can only get you so far.

I am sorry if this was a little bit off topic (and me ranting on about my own stuff again). Still it is some advice I have picked up from my own falicies.

I'm not the only one making a fan game, so why keep much of this common knowledge to myself?

waveflux
Villager
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Postby waveflux » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 am

DarkMaster2101 wrote:
Anthony wrote:That's probably the smartest course of action indeed. Aside from the legal issues, it also makes way for an entirely new universum, 100% breathing room for a story... but it has to make it on its own now, rather than by the name :)

Tony


Well, I do have some good news. Those are the reasons why I made the stories of my Lufia concepts different than the rest. Stagnate Memories takes place in a 1920-30's scenario with more man vs man (with Sinistrals still there of course). Battle Tactics is a parallel story with a kid who enters a virtual reality based on Lufia I. Sure I plan to one day to make these projects legal, but we can't just completely base the game on the name anymore. Perhaps Estopolis, but not Lufia.

Another thing to look out for is useless innovation. Bringing a Lufia-esk game up to next gen standards (minimum Wii) is a good thing. But doing something completely random with the gameplay without thinking about it thrice (whether it be an updated RPG standard, cross genre, or just something original), will probably end the game up in the gutter. Look at Sonic Unleashed. The werehog (though more developed than Sonic himself) was a gimmeck to give the game a "hook". Sonic unleashed may gave the franchise a second chance. It wasn't impressive, especially the broken with the unresponsive controls.

You are using Estopolis as your template for a game. Remember before you add anything, either graphics or gameplay, make sure you plan those out and test them. Pen and paper can only get you so far.

I am sorry if this was a little bit off topic (and me ranting on about my own stuff again). Still it is some advice I have picked up from my own falicies.

I'm not the only one making a fan game, so why keep much of this common knowledge to myself?


I agree with you completely. All thought I have no desire to make a next gen game. I'm making an old school 2d rpg on purpose since I love them, and no one makes them anymore.

User avatar
Anthony
Hero of the Lufians
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 am
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anthony » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Knowledge is power- shared knowledge even more so, which is why I became an instant fan once one of the posters here started a blog about the game he's making :)

About innovation... I always applaud for it, but indeed, only if it's actually adding something to the game. One could argue that 100 new pokémon are an improvement over the game before it, but if it were only that, I'd hardly call it innovation worth a mention. The thing with RPG's is apparently that's it's hard to still be truely innovative; I shot a few ideas at a classmate, and he kinda gave me a 'Simpsons did it'; every idea was used in one or more RPG's he played before. That doesn't mean that I can't, or shouldn't, include them in my own game... as long as it's a healthy muix, I'd say. Most of the ideas I have are related to puzzle elements and mechanics though; I think that history has given a good sense of what works in an RPG and what not; to deviate too greatly from that would be hard :)

But you do strike a nice point there, willingly or not. The second I use the name Lufia, or even Lufia-like, people will have expectations on how certain things should be done. With an entirely new concept, people would have less reasons to assume something... which may or may not work in my advantage, I'm not quite sure yet :) But if I want to add innovation X to my completely new IP, it would probably be easier, smoother than with the game that I named 'Lufia Project'...

As to next gen games... I'll keep it 2d... but why not use some next gen power? :) I've taken into account that I want to use some graphic power at some point in the game; I can use 3d models, I can do complicated hardware transformations, and I can use 3d effects. Even though the skeleton is 2d, I think the player would be positively surprised if he came accross spells that suddenly use a lot more graphical effects than what the till that point 2d game would have him believe to be possible. It's hard to describe, but I hope you get the idea :)

Another idea is to do what the new Golden Sun seems to be doing; a 3d environment, with more or less 2d movement. That's pretty nifty as well, but well beyond my capabilities for now. I'm sure that I would never finnish such a project, if alone due to the sheer amount of work 3d modelling costs :D

Anthony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/

Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

waveflux
Villager
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Postby waveflux » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 am

sounds good anthony.

I've never tried golden sun before. Is it available on the PC?[/list]

User avatar
DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Wavespace (where the sinistrals were born)
Contact:

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age is on Game Boy Advance. You'll have to ROM hunt on your own, sorry.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

waveflux
Villager
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Postby waveflux » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:51 pm

DarkMaster2101 wrote:Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age is on Game Boy Advance. You'll have to ROM hunt on your own, sorry.


I have no problems doing that. Are the worth playing though?

waveflux
Villager
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Postby waveflux » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Oh and dark, do you have any more of these:

http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/album_p ... pic_id=208


it looks great!

User avatar
DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am
Location: Wavespace (where the sinistrals were born)
Contact:

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 am

Not possible. That screen was done with resources made with RPG Maker 2003. I may release screen shots later when I feel like it.

De-railing aside. It would be possible to program a turn based strategy via RPG Maker. But the 5k switch and variable limit really impedes the development for a game not optimized for a non FF4 clone system.

Eventually I will have to program the game from scratch, but right now GameMaker7 pro is all I need for a prototype.

[EDIT] How is your fan game coming along, Anthony?
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"


Return to “Lufia Fan Works”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest