Dawn and Dusk

Share your Lufia fan fiction and artwork in this board.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Finally starting to pick up the pace! Chapter 20 here, people!

Chapter Twenty

Kerryan tensed, waiting for whatever was coming. He could only see Syani next to him, everything else around him was pitch-black. The silence was painfully threatening. Then the sound of the wind swelled, and a white light appeared a few metres away from them. It grew and separated into tiny parts, sparkling, giving the impression of bright snowflakes, or perhaps tiny stars forming together. The light grew further, and the little parts of light formed a massive glittering silver sword, with an enormous guard. It revolved in mid-air for a few moments, then fell into the ground with a large thud. Kerryan narrowed his eyes, waiting for it to move.
It did not. Instead, another light appeared, and formed a second sword. It hit the ground next to the first sword. In this fashion, getting faster each time, more swords appeared, gradually forming a circle around the two. “Get out of there!” Kerryan shouted to Syani. Whatever it was, they had to get away from it. They made for the space between two swords, but stopped at a light tremor that emerged as the last sword fell, completing the circle of about twenty swords. It was silent again. They stared at the ghastly scene, then turned away and continued running. Yet before they could approach the edge, the weapons shuddered. They floated up as if lifted by invisible hands, then flowed back into tiny parts of light. It floated up, then disappeared. Syani took a step back. “What's going on?”

Kerryan looked around in the darkness, searching for a trace of Arek, then suddenly gasped as he felt something coming. He raised his hand and a shield appeared in his hand – just in time as a white line of light came soaring at him like a bullet. He raised the shield higher and the light hit it squarely. The incredible force shattered the shield to bits, and he fell backwards on the ground. Syani turned in alarm, and pulled him up. “What happened?!”
“I'm all right,” he mouthed. The force had knocked him off balance, but the shield had taken the damage. But he could feel it – more was coming.
And sure enough, a moment later, he had to pull up a second shield to block the next incoming strike. This time, the shield withstood the attack, though it looked like it could break at any time. He looked at Syani. We've got to do this together... “Help me!”
A look of alarm appeared on Syani's face. “But...”
Kerryan knocked her aside, just before a third beam of light could smash into her. It hit the ground with great force. The attacks were actually more similar to incoming arrows.
They both scrambled up. Kerryan grabbed her shoulder. “Syani!” It wasn't like her to be so off guard.
She stared back. “I can't...”
“What?”
“I can't see them!”
Kerryan gaped at her. “But...” How can that be? He stared around. Was he... sensing the attacks? But Syani was better at that than he was...
But there was no time for questions. He stood up. If he could just see them coming a little quicker, they could work together. But...
Another attack came. He jumped aside to avoid it. He was blinded as the light passed right by his face. Yet as he jumped, it hit his clothes right at the shoulder area. Miraculously, he himself hadn't been hit. But the attacks were getting more accurate, and they couldn't keep up like this.

He drew up a new shield. They had to try something. “Syani, follow my movements!”
Syani nodded, and a larger shield appeared in her hand. They moved closer together, covering their front. Kerryan tensed, knowing where the next strike would likely be. As he felt it coming, he turned around. Syani must have realised the same thing, as she did so too to stop the attack aimed at their backs. Three arrows hit the shields, one after the other. The attacks were getting faster – but so were they. Kerryan readied himself for the next set of arrows, and realised he was no longer holding a shield: he grasping at air, and instead, there was a force field around the two of them. It had a soft translucent cyan glow. He and Syani exchanged looks, then focussed on the force field, knowing they were the ones keeping it up.
The next flurry of arrows came, striking the field. Every time an arrow hit, Kerryan felt like something bumped into him. He closed his eyes, concentrating on resisting the attacks. A few more hits came, then finally it stopped.

They waited, wondering what would happen next. Then Kerryan saw a green light in the distance, in an odd tall shape. He squinted at it, trying to make out what it was. At that moment, a new sword hit the ground before a second joined it, in the same fashion as before. The whole process was apparently starting all over again. Then an idea formed in his mind.
“Put down the barrier for a second,” he muttered to Syani. She looked at him uncertainly, then nodded. The force field vanished, and he concentrated on the form again. It was as if he could see more clearly now: the light had a much clearer form... the form of a tall man. He looked to his left, and saw a similar smaller form, composed of white light. He blinked, and it was gone, and he saw Syani instead. “What is it?”
“I can sense it.”
At that moment, the circle was completed and the swords vanished again. Syani swore. “It's starting all over again!”
Their barrier reappeared. Kerryan knew there would be no end to it like this. But... there might be a way out of this.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 pm

*turns page, then realizes the book was blank*
HOW DARE YOU!!! *throws the book against wall*

Another one... I was about to do the happy dance. What will happen next?
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

Chapter Twenty-One

Two white arrows flew at them again. Kerryan looked at Syani while they made contact with the barrier. “I have... an idea. I think.”
Syani impatiently urged him to go on.
“What if those swords represent those weird shots he keeps firing at us?”
She frowned. “Well...”
“I thought... maybe he has to recharge or refill after shooting all of them. Then we have a chance of hitting him.”
She pulled a very thoughtful face and dropped it after a second. “Yeah, let's try it.”
Somehow, this made Kerryan feel uncertain. “Yeah?”
She nodded, as the next set of arrows crashed into the barrier. “You can see him, right?”
Kerryan looked back to the shape. It was more vague than before, but obviously there. “...Yeah.”
Syani considered for a moment. “There were 21 swords, so that leaves fourteen arrows, right?”
He stared at her, amazed. “How did you-” She was counting them before I even mentioned it? “Were you... thinking the same thing or something?”
She shrugged. “Not really, I just noticed. Let's get ready.”
Kerryan frowned at her, but shook his thought aside. Together with her, he concentrated on the attacks again, counting.

Suddenly, a small crack appeared in the barrier. “Damn!” he shouted. Another arrow flew, and the shock was much larger this time.
“Think he's getting impatient?” Syani shouted.
“Be quiet!” He snapped back. They were getting in trouble. One more shot came, creating another crack. It felt as if he had been hit himself; though there was no physical damage, it still hurt.
Syani grabbed his hand. “Just three more!”
Kerryan gritted his teeth. Crash. “Two...”
Crash. “One...”
They got to their feet, waiting for the final strike. Kerryan pointed to the green shape only he could see. Syani followed the direction of his hand with her eyes, and nodded. The last shot came. Instead of waiting for it to collide with the force field, they dispelled it and separated, barely avoiding the arrow which crashed into the ground. Both had a sword in their hands. Kerryan took the lead, running to the shape, which looked more like Arek the closer he got. All of the sudden, a sudden light made him stop; another arrow came flying in his direction. He managed to avoid it, but then realised the arrow wasn't aiming for him; it was speeding straight at Syani!

All Syani could do was raise her sword in defence. The arrow struck the blade, pointing at her chest, and ground into it. Syani was immobilised, and could only push back as hard as possible. But the force of the arrow was stronger, and forced her sword upwards. Doing so made the arrow change direction, however, and the arrow drove through her shoulder instead of her chest. A large cut appeared in her right shoulder.
Kerryan gasped, and ran to her side.
She smiled faintly. “I miscounted. Sorry about that.”
The swirling light reappeared. Rapidly, five swords sunk into the ground. As the rest started to appear, Syani gripped Kerryan's arm. “There's no time, let's go!”
He hesitated, eyeing her shoulder. “But...”
She shrugged, and switched the sword over to her left hand. “No problem.”
The final sword hit the ground. It was now or never. Kerryan jumped up, looking for Arek. He spotted him just as the swords vanished. They wouldn't make it in time. He panicked, looking back at Syani. She raised her hand over her shoulder. “From here! Now!”
Kerryan was confused, but there was no choice but to follow her lead. He imitated her movement, and together they slashed in the air. Two large shockwaves appeared. They joined, forming a large silver X, and flew straight at the green light. Just then, Kerryan felt a white arrow of light flying behind him, and there was a loud noise, coupled with a blinding flash.

He blinked. The forest was visible again, though darker than before. Opposite them, in the exact spot where the green light had been, there was Keryan Arek. Two large slashes were across his chest, forming the same X as before. He bent over, and fell.

The two looked at each other. Their weapons had disappeared, and Kerryan's body felt very heavy. He looked at Syani, who was gripping her wounded shoulder. He looked about him, wondering what he could do for her. A ripping sound startled them. They looked up, and saw Arek tearing off his sleeve with a shaking hand. He said in a soft voice, “Use this. Should still be clean enough.” He moaned, and dropped the clothe.
Slowly, they walked towards him. Kerryan picked up the clothe, and wrapped it around Syani's shoulder. Amazingly, it fitted perfectly. He looked down at the elf. “Why are you...”
Arek interrupted him with a small bitter chuckle. He said softly to himself, “Who would've thought... you'd be ambidextrous...”
Syani lost her temper. “Just what is it with you all?!”
The elf looked up. “Beg your pardon?”
Syani dropped to her knees, bringing her face closer to his. “What was that all about then?” she spat. “Was that all just a game to you? Just what do you guys want with us? One minute it's this, the next-”
“Yeah, about that...” Arek said suddenly.
“What?” Kerryan said quickly.
Arek paused. Finally, he said calmly, “Several years ago, there was a disaster. It struck the whole world, and changed it... forever.”
He looked at the two of them. Kerryan responded, “That's what Eydilne said. But what happened?”
“We still don't know how it started. But the most important thing that happened... is that all humans died, or vanished forever.”
Kerryan stared at him, unsure how to react. Arek looked into his eyes, and nodded.
“...Yeah. And not just them either. All monsters, and many animals, weren't sighted for years since. And we elves... a lot of us got wounded. Some died. But as you can see, some of us still remained. The pain of that year still hasn't healed... But the point is, we believe humans may have been the cause of it all.”

Syani's eyes went wide. “But how? What kind of disaster was it?”
Arek looked past her, into the distance, at the last rays of the setting sun. “It was terrible. It's still a taboo here...”
He sighed. “It started as a natural disaster: earthquakes, heavy storms, floods... When it was starting to claim lives, we decided we had to step up, and there was a council. Then some kind of suspicion arose towards the humans. I don't know the details, I wasn't there. But there was some kind of argument. And then, a day came when the forest was suddenly aflame. At first, we managed to quell the flames little by little. But that's when it started. It rained fire. There were literally flames falling from the sky. We had to take cover...” He closed his eyes. “It didn't stop there. The weirdest things started happening all over the world. And in the end... This is the result..”

Kerryan and Syani sat in silence, hardly able to believe it. Arek looked at them, and said, “So, you must be wondering... what does all this have to do with you?”
They didn't respond. Arek took a deep breath, then stopped, and coughed loudly. Blood splattered from his mouth to the ground. Kerryan stood up and backed away, disgusted. Arek spat out another mouthful, then looked back at Kerryan in a half-apologetic way. “Looks like my body says time's up.” He pointed. “In that direction, north of Eserikto, there's a memorial stone. You'll find the answers there. And talk to Arty. He'll tell you whatever you want to know.”
They arose, slowly. They started walking away from him. Coming to a halt, Syani muttered, “It's okay, right? To let him go.”
Kerryan looked back at the man. He nodded.

“Oh, one more thing...” Arek said. They turned around. Arek was lying down, his hands in a position that suggested he had been about to cast a spell. He looked at them, a sombre look on his face. “Syani... back there...”
“Yes?” said Syani after a silence.
Arek hesitated, then said, “Good one. 'Think he's getting impatient'. Not bad.” He grinned.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon May 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Been a while, but as a reward for the wait, two chapters at once! Aren't you lucky!
By the way, I changed the beginning of Chapter One slightly; there were a few things I didn't like about it. And I noticed that some of the symbols have been changed to gibberish since the server problem... Well, I'm not going to edit all that. :P You could read it on fanfiction.net instead if you want to read before the newer chapters.
The link's here.
Enough talk, back to the story! ;)

Chapter Twenty-Two

It was a large white stone that rose above their heads, on top of a short hill. Behind it, there was a valley where there were hundreds of graves, decorated with small flowers. Though a sad place, it was definitely a peaceful one. He looked at the memorial. There were a few long lists of names carved into it, with odd symbols next to them. Now that the sun had fully set, it was difficult to make out the letters. At the top of the stone, there were two large symbols. He looked at Syani, who was looking at it in awe. Kerryan moved closer to her. He whispered, “Those names, and those graves...”
“That's right,” a soft voice behind them said. They turned around and saw Artea. Syani turned around instantly, then nodded slightly at him. Artea gave her a lopsided smile. He then turned to Kerryan. “Everyone buried here lost their lives in the disaster. Both humans and elves are resting here.”
Kerryan looked back to the graves. So many people...
Syani asked, “Did your father tell you to come here?”
Artea shrugged. “I noticed you heading this way and I figured. I guess he wants me to finish the story for him. The little bedtime story no one wants to hear or tell... but we all know,” he added bitterly.
Kerryan looked at him, wondering what to say. “Artea-”
“Just look,” he said, pointing at the list. “The people mentioned here all gave their lives trying to prevent the whole thing from happening.”
A beam of moonlight illuminated some of the names. Syani and Kerryan looked at the names he was pointing at. Both cast their eyes downward at what they saw, before looking again.
Cynthia Arek
Dain Arek
Orland Arek

And so it went on. Nearly half of the first list was taken up by Areks.

Kerryan swallowed.
“You see it,” Artea said, who had his back on them, staring at the moon. Then he suddenly turned around. “I lost almost my whole damn family back then.”
He spoke softly, with gritted teeth. “I've got my father, that's one thing. But my mother was...”
Syani's voice shook. “That's... that's...”
He waved his hand. “That's how it is. I don't need any sympathy or whatever. I wasn't hurt as much as my father.”
Kerryan cast his eyes downward. Artea continued, “I'm young, especially for an elf. My father's known these people for so long... His family's nearly gone. That's the kind of pain he's constantly suffering from. Just like...”
Kerryan had been thinking about this. He turned around, and saw he was right: the name Fass appeared many times a well.
Artea sat down. “I guess they really are a match for each other, huh... Well, that and they've known each other for ages.”
“Hang on.”
Syani narrowed her eyes suddenly. “The reason you guys have been chasing us down like that... was it all just revenge?
Artea folded his arms. “Who do you think we are? We have our honour, you know. You humans could learn from that. You two didn't kill our folks, and we're not even sure if it was the humans' fault.”
“Then why?” Syani pressed.
Artea looked at her, and sighed. “I figured we'd end up here. All right, listen up.”

“About a year after the disaster, a man appeared in one of the neighbouring villages: a human. Had he survived the whole thing? Had he taken cover somehow? We didn't know. And he'd apparently lost his memory. Well, we took care of him. You know, we taught him a few important things, what happened and such... Anyway, it seemed to go well, and we thought there might be more humans who were still alive. Of course, we'd been searching for a long time already, but the man's appearance had given a new hope. We didn't find anything, though. At a certain point, the man said he wanted to go on a new journey to look on his own. We agreed. And one day, he returned... not with humans, but with a pack of monsters. And he attacked the village. We had to fight back, and the man died in the incident. The village had suffered greatly from the attack: houses broken down, many wounded, even a few deaths...” He shook his head. “No one knows what had happened to the man on his journey.”
Kerryan closed his eyes. Artea looked at him, then continued, “That's not all. A few years later, something like this happened again... this time with a little girl. A human girl appeared in an elven village far from here. I don't know exactly what happened, but they took care of her, and she grew up among the elves. And one day she wanted to search for remaining humans as well. They were hesitant, and I'm pretty sure they refused. What happened next is a little unclear, but she did stay. And one day, she just went berserk. She took a sword and just started hacking at whoever she saw. It was crazy. Well, they were better prepared than last time, so they managed to subdue her without any serious casualties. But that was the final straw, I guess. The Guardians met, and eventually decided they had no choice but to treat the humans as enemies. They even considered the possibility that those appearances weren't actually humans, but something evil meant to trick and destroy the elves. The idea wasn't given too much thought, though. There was probably some kind of power making them go wild. And there's the fact that monsters, who had pretty much vanished at the incidents, started reappearing on both the occasions where these persons were present. So for our sake, and theirs... the Guardians made their decision.”

Chapter Twenty-Three

“The disaster changed the world forever, and this is what happened. And that... is why you two were pursued.”

Kerryan and Syani didn't respond. Kerryan had his head bowed, while Syani was gazing sombrely at the stone.
Kerryan shook his head. “So that's the whole story.”
Artea sighed. “It's not as if I like it.”
“So those giant birds back then...” said Kerryan.
“Yeah, they didn't help in your favour.”
“And what now?” he asked. “Going to finish us off after all, in case we get violent?”
Artea shrugged. “Well, you did just beat up my dad.”
“In self-defence!” Kerryan shouted heatedly. “If that's how you decided they were 'berserk' last time...”
“It wasn't,” Artea said shortly. “Forget it, I wasn't serious. He's had worse.” He groaned, standing up. “I don't like the air here. I'm getting to bed. Want to stay?”
“What?!”
“I told you. I'm not planning to fight you again. And Eydilne didn't seem to like doing it either. So I guess it's a truce until the three Guardians meet to decide what happens now.” He looked at the two of them. “I have to say this, though; your powers are disturbing... I don't know what that's going to mean.”
Kerryan was about to respond, when Syani suddenly spoke. “Hey, Arty. What does this mean?”
Kerryan turned around. Syani was pointing to the two symbols on top of the rock. Reflected in the moonlight, they were more clearly visible now: a triangle with decorations around the points, and what appeared to be a reversed N with the silhouette of a person inside it. Artea followed her gaze. “That's a funny question. Where did that come from?”
“So what does it mean?” she repeated.
“They're ancient elven symbols that aren't used any more nowadays. They stand for Nyas and Arek, the rising and setting of the sun. I guess they're usually interpreted as 'Dawn and Dusk'.”
“Dawn and Dusk...” Syani repeated slowly.
“Did you just say Arek?” Kerryan asked?
Artea shrugged. “It's got nothing to do with our family. As far as I know, anyway... I don't really know much of my family history. But anyway, those words used to represent two gods that were worshipped long ago. Dunno, I guess they lost popularity or something, but the two names are still used in stuff like this... dawn and dusk, day and night, sun and moon... life and death.”
He gestured towards the stone. “Death is unusual among elves. I guess you could say that this whole incident made us remember we're still mortal.”
He finally turned around. “That's enough talking for today. I'm turning in. If you want to come sleep, you're welcome for now.”
Kerryan and Syani looked at each other. Then Kerryan said, “Thanks. But there's someone we ought to have a word with.”
Artea raised an eyebrow, then shrugged. “Okay. Have fun.”
He turned away, and left. Kerryan watched him go, wondering if there was something he had to say before he was gone, then decided he didn't. He turned to Syani. “Let's go.”

They had barely walked half a mile away from the burial site, when they saw a man in the distance. They walked up to him, and saw a tremendously old man; bald, with a long grey beard, he looked like he could collapse at any time. It was nearly surprising to see he didn't need a walking stick. “If I may be so bold,” he said, and Kerryan recognised his voice; it was the deep voice he'd heard after his fall at Eydilne's hands.
The man turned around, and a wooden door appeared in front of him. He opened it, and instead of the night scene, a lit cave was visible on the other side. He invited them in, and they walked through the door.

They were standing in the same tunnel as last time, only the light seemed more distant this time, though brighter. They turned around to see the door had vanished, and the tunnel stretched out behind them. The man had followed them; his appearance was that of a young regal man once more. “Old man...” Syani said.
“Please feel free to call me Eldain,” he said politely.
Kerryan looked him in the eyes. “I wanted to ask you something.”
Last edited by Guard Daos on Mon May 25, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Anthony » Mon May 25, 2009 11:10 pm

And that is the link that will put me to reading it finally, thanks- was going to ask you how to get rid of those glyphs :)

Will comment once I read a few chapters :)

Tony
http://ti83magic.wordpress.com/
Any help, comments, suggestion or any other form of feedback is heavily appreciated :)

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 am

That's great to hear! It's good to get some feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read it. :)
I knew I should've posted that link right away. Hm, maybe the site version... *checks* Nope, it's all glitchy too.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue May 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Been a while, but as a reward for the wait, two chapters at once! Aren't you lucky!

Two? I wanted three chapters at once! :evil:
Uh... I mean: YAY! Two new chapters!
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:56 am

I agree with SinReVi, feel free to continue D&D in any way. You'll probably never hear from me ever on LW again.
---DarkMaster2101

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Don't worry, peeps! I hadn't forgotten about it!
Here it is, FINALLY, the new chapter!
I guess I'd better hurry and finish it before the new game comes out, or it'll make my story less interesting. ;)

-----------

Chapter Twenty-Four

“I see.” Eldain sighed deeply. He didn't say anything for a while. Kerryan looked at him unblinkingly. He'd told the entire story to the man, now he wanted answers.
At last, Eldain spoke. “You found the problem... but I cannot help you solve it.”
“What do you know about it?” Kerryan asked.
Eldain considered for a moment. “The Disaster... I do know more of the details than you do, but they would do you little good. I could have told you about it from the start, but I wanted you to find out on your own... because I have hopes in you.”
Kerryan frowned. He had the feeling Eldain was already steering the conversation in a direction he didn't like. He stubbornly pressed his point. “So you don't know what caused it?”
Eldain shook his head. “I have my opinions, but those are mere speculations. There are ways of finding the story behind certain events, but this... I believe it is the result of something that happened far longer ago. Something that happened before I became a Keeper.”
“That must have been a long time ago,” Syani said thoughtfully.
“Yes, thank you Syani,” Eldain said. “Getting back to the point, you see what a mess this has become. It is completely against the nature of elves to kill, but they find themselves forced to out of fear for their beloved ones. It is a terrible cycle which must be broken.”
“And you think we can do something about it?” Syani asked.
He nodded. “I have too little time left. If a new Keeper emerges, that Keeper will be able to bring change.”

Kerryan looked at Syani. She appeared to be thinking. He felt like he ought to consider the situation as well, but his mind seemed to have gone blank. Surely this man couldn't expect one of them to go and shoulder the burden of the whole world?
Eldain had fallen silent. He turned around and took a few steps, perhaps thinking to give them some space to discuss this. As if they could just flip a coin to decide who would go ahead and save the world for the next few hundred years. The longer Kerryan thought about it, the more ridiculous the idea seemed.
Syani finally said, “But what does it really mean, becoming a Keeper? If you're not some kind of god, then what are you?”
Eldain turned back to them. “Ah. I believe I have told you something about it, but it seemed I have not been clear enough.”
Kerryan's eyes narrowed. He almost got the feeling the man was getting impatient under his perfect manner. Was he perhaps keen to be finally rid of the responsibility?
Eldain smiled. “Perhaps you would like to see what is at the end of the tunnel.”
“Spiritual Force, right?” Syani said.
He beckoned them. “Let me show you.” He walked towards the yellow light in the distance.
Kerryan suddenly noticed the light was much fainter than on their last visit. “Hey... are we further away from it than last time?”
Eldain answered, “No. The difference is not the distance... The difference lies in the shape.”
They both were about to protest, when Eldain said, “You will understand when you see it. Just a little bit further.”
The light still seemed as far as it had been when they'd started walking, but Kerryan knew better than to trust his eyes in this strange tunnel. And sure enough, a few moments later, everything went black in front of his eyes. He took another step, and suddenly they were standing in front of a wall. The light now shone behind him, seeming as distant as it had been.
“The end of the tunnel,” Eldain said. “When we last met, I mentioned I had never been to the end. I must correct myself: I have been here once before. It is impossible when the Spiritual Force has its proper shape. But now...”
He bent over, and picked up a pearly white glass bowl that Kerryan hadn't noticed lying on the floor. It contained what appeared to be water. With a small smile, he dipped one finger into the liquid.

At the sound of forest noises, Kerryan looked around. They appeared to be in a clearing, surrounded by a thick wall of trees. The three of them were standing around a circle of soil in the middle of the circle of the trees. A simple, large wooden chest decorated with small white gems lay on it. Eldain's eyes seemed to light up with excitement. He stepped forward, laying his hands on the lid. “This is...”
He opened the chest and stepped aside to let them see. “This is the Spiritual Force, compressed to one small form.”
The two looked inside the chest, and saw a magnificent large sword lying on a soft cushion. It emitted a slight ringing sound as they approached, as if acknowledging their presence. A shiver of excitement passed over Kerryan as he took in its beauty, its ringing sounding almost like a soft melody.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Once I saw the word sword, it gave me a boner...

*crotch punch*

Well anyways, good job of explaining yet another fabled fan theory. I wonder when the Sinistrals will show up?
---DarkMaster2101

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Just in time before the new year. I hope you'll enjoy it.

Chapter Twenty-Five

“This sword...” Syani sounded as amazed as he was.
Kerryan couldn't stop staring at it. It was truly a beautiful sight.
Eldain spoke. “Would you like to try holding it?”
“Me?” Kerryan said, surprised, without taking his eyes off the blade. “But Syani...”
“Why not try?” Eldain interrupted.
Kerryan hesitated. Then, without thinking, he reached out his hand and touched the hilt of the sword. He held his breath. The hilt felt quite cool. It shivered slightly as he touched it, and the ringing seemed to grow louder. He closed his eyes. Inside, he felt a warm feeling for some reason. A smile came over his face as he realised just what he was touching. He could hold it in his hand, feel the power rushing into himself... a huge power that would be his to command. He would rise above all others, the whole world worshipping him...
Suddenly, his eyes snapped open. The warm feeling had vanished. His fingers were softly touching the sword. Next to him, Syani was looking expectantly at him. His eyes narrowed as he withdrew his hand. What was...
“What is it?” Eldain asked, sounding worried.
Kerryan looked at his hand, and back to the sword. “Nothing...” he mumbled. He considered a moment. “Nothing,” he said firmly, and reached out for the sword again. The warm feeling was back. The soft tingling from the sword seemed to calm him, clearing his head. The strange earlier sensation did not return. He closed his fingers around the hilt, smiling softly. It's all right...
Syani looked at Kerryan. “Looks like it works, right?”
Kerryan gave a small smile, and nodded.
Eldain clapped his hands softly. “How wonderful! It seems you are certainly capable of wielding such a great amount of Spiritual Force. If you could withdraw the sword from this place... it would mean you can go through with this.”
Kerryan nodded slowly. His concerns returned. He then thought of what Artea and Arek had said... What was happening to the world... But could he really do something about it? But he could try... He could, right? A part of him wanted to put down the sword and run, but he felt like he couldn't do that...

He looked up, and saw Syani watching him. “Hey, Kerryan...” she said softly, out of Eldain's earshot.
He looked at her, letting go of the blade. He had no idea what to say. “Yeah?”
“I think the old man's made a mistake.”
Kerryan stared at her. Even she thought it could never work...
He tried to clear his head. She was right. Doing something like this...
“Yeah.” he said.
Syani nodded. “So he did. I wondered why he only put one sword here.”
Kerryan nodded slowly, then suddenly it dawned on him what she was saying. He gaped. “You mean...”
“Well, what else?”
Kerryan looked in her eyes. “Syani...” For some reason, he felt a much warmer sensation that had nothing to do with the Dual Blade. He suddenly smiled broadly, and finished in a whisper. “Do you want to try lifting it together?”
She said nothing. She merely laughed and reached out her hand. Kerryan followed her example, and together they grasped the sword by the hilt. He heard Eldain gasp behind them, but it did not matter any more. They raised the sword out of the chest and held it up in front of them.

The ringing grew louder. A white light spread out from the blade, circling around them. All Kerryan could make out was Syani's face. He felt as if the sword was lifting them up, up into the sky... and then placed them back on the ground lightly.
The light faded. The ringing became soft again, and the surroundings visible. Kerryan blinked, and what he saw made his jaw drop.
He was holding a sword, smaller than the one they had lifted, but just as beautiful. Opposite him, Syani was holding an identical swords. The two blades met at their tips, reflecting light in all directions.
There was a silence. Then suddenly, Eldain laughed. “Unbelievable... Absolutely astounding! You two... You two truly are amazing.” He laughed uncontrollably, as Kerryan and Syani exchanged an uncertain glance. Finally, Eldain calmed down. “I have never seen something like this. The Spiritual Force can take any form depending on who holds it, but to think you would manage to split it in two...” He shook his head. “I was unhappy to know that you two would have to part, you know. It may have felt like I was trying to separate you, but... I believed it necessary. There have never been two Keepers at the same time.”
He looked from one to another, excitement in his eyes. “But to think you could change a rule like that right away... Truly, you two are amazing. I have hopes for you. This truly promises new possibilities.”
Kerryan and Syani looked at each other. They lowered their swords, and just laughed. Eldain smiled at the two. “Then this marks a new era. The era... of the Dual Blade.”
“The Dual Blade...” Syani said slowly.
Eldain looked at the two swords with marvel. “That the Spiritual Force took this form proves it has accepted you two. These two swords link you together. And,” he added, facing them each in turn, “I hope you will use it to shape a new future.”
Kerryan looked at Syani. How could he have expected to manage without her. Looking at her now, he knew... everything would work out.
He said, “Actually... before that, there's one last trip I'd like to make.”

Rain was falling. The forest had seen many rains, and this was but a light one. The rain was unnoticed by two children walking along the path to the middle of the woods. They wore simple clothes, and seemed to have no particular business as they walked on through the rain, talking and laughing as they went. Whatever they future might bring, for now it did not matter. They had each other. A silence passed over them as they stopped to sit down... and greet the rising morning sun.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:50 am

And that concludes the final chapter of Dawn and Dusk!
Thanks for reading, everyone. I hope you enjoyed it. I'd love to have some reactions on the story, so if you any comments or questions on the story or one of the chapters, please post. :)

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 pm

How old are Syani and Kerryan?

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals

~ OUT NOW! 2010

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 pm

I also have another question. If the Dual Blade split into two, and Maxim uses one Dual Blade, then what happened to the other one?
---DarkMaster2101

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

Selan gets a pleasant night?

Return to “Lufia Fan Works”