Best non-Lufia RPG...

General gaming discussions. However, discussions about Lufia, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Zelda should be posted in the dedicated forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chairmanofthebored
Red Jelly

Postby chairmanofthebored » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 pm

I think my all time favorite would have to be Soul Blazer. Aside from that I like Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Xenogears, FFVI, Chrono Trigger and Thousand Arms.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:15 pm

My list of top RPGs is always changing. I mean sure there are some classic games back then. Eventually those classic ideas become stale and well we just have to move on.

I can't deny that games were good back then, but I also can't deny that one day there will be an RPG that will supersede them all.

Which is the RPG I am working on at the moment.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

chairmanofthebored
Red Jelly

Postby chairmanofthebored » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Ahh sounds intriguing. :) Anything you can divulge about it?
Yeah I'm still holding out hope for rpgs but I'd still rather play the classics again. I just prefer that old-school style. A couple I am looking forward to are Black Sigil and Dragon Quest IX though.

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

One of my favorites would have to be Fire Emblem 4. It lends itself a lot to customization, since you play through half the game as one generation of warriors and then the second half as their children plus get to control which characters fall in love for the most part. I've used totally different pairings on my second file than I did on my first, so the children have different growths than they did last time (one of my speedsters nearly maxed out strength due to her father's high strength growth, something she didn't do when I maximized other aspects last time).

Of course, you'd need to either A) know Japanese or B) use a translation patch since the game never got released in English (and said patch has a few glaring glitches including an untranslated ending which freezes up during the epilogue). But it's all good...still a lot of fun.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 pm

OR, we can wait for a DSi exlusive DS remake by doing so waiting over hundreds of years realizing that Nintendo has gone out of business because no one plays the Wii anymore. So sad...

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free. You are a pirate.

/rant.

PS - I'm still suffering todays shock from a dust bowl preminition.
---DarkMaster2101

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 am

I doubt it's ever gonna legitimately be released in English...it's been on the Wii's VC for awhile now. There's some rather...eh...racy subjects at a few points (though to be fair 99% of that is the villain's fault in some shape or form) that I don't think they'd be able to translate around without screwing up the story a lot. Which is sad, because while there are some difficult parts (it is a strategy title so thinking your way out of impossible situations crop up occasionally) it's got a lot of endearing features and the cast is pretty cool.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

Chris
Forum Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 am

After my exam on Wednesday I plan to log into the Wii VC and download one of my favourite RPGs of all time, Secret of Mana. It's been far too long since my last play through!

While I'm there I also want to download Majora's Mask, probably my favourite Zelda game (controversial, I know).

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 am

chairmanofthebored wrote:Ahh sounds intriguing. :) Anything you can divulge about it?
Yeah I'm still holding out hope for rpgs but I'd still rather play the classics again. I just prefer that old-school style. A couple I am looking forward to are Black Sigil and Dragon Quest IX though.

And let my ideas go to public domain before I copyright it? No way! The only real exception is the Lufia fan game stuff and that's because I hope the developer's see it or something...

Secret of Mana, not my top 5 but still one of my favorites.

Also, have some faith in some American RPG's like Dungeons and Dragons and Fable.
---DarkMaster2101

Superdreuzel
Knight

Postby Superdreuzel » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Love it!!
Image]

Arek_Daos81
Red Jelly

Postby Arek_Daos81 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:47 am

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete and Lunar Silver Star Story Complete were great RPGs because of the combination of story and graphics. I am playing through Chrono Chross right now though and it is very good.

Did anyone else mention Lunar? I glanced at the posts and didn't see anyone mention Lunar.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:51 am

I've only played Lunar Legend. I tried playing the DS game but it just annoyed me.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Volt
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Volt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:51 pm

DarkMaster2101 wrote:Also, have some faith in some American RPG's like Dungeons and Dragons and Fable.

And which Fable are you talking about exactly? Because the one that has 2 "sequals" is British made, not american made (Lionhead Studios = UK).

Secret of Mana is pretty high up in my list, though I dont have a favorite rpg. All of my favorite rpg's have horrible flaws in them that prevent them from being "great" rpgs.

Illusion of Time/Gaia = beautiful ending, but about halfway through the game becomes very boring storywise (its a lot of "lets go to the next town" stuff from there on followed by brown stuff sidequests you dont really need. Screw you mushroom mountain!).
Secret of Mana = beautiful fricking soundtrack. But so much story was removed from it that I think it ruined the game a bit.
breath of Fire 3 would rank #1 in the non-lufia rpgs I guess. But I always found it to be a short game. Plus, there's not much of a challenge to the game.
Diablo 2: Lord of the Destruction. Super awesome game. But the story isnt explained very well unless you go online to find some articles.

And of course there's final fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10, 12... I like them all but they have huge flaws in them that I do not ignore or pretend dont exist.

Also, and this shocks a lot of people; I do not like chrono trigger (fanboy fanatics completely ruined the game for me), I do not like the zelda games save for the first two on the NES, and I do not like final fantasy 1-6.

apocalis20
Villager

Postby apocalis20 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

Hmm..that's tough! Well, here's a partial list of the best non-Lufia RPGs I've played, in no particular order:

1. Legend of Mana. Too bad my PS1 blew up six years ago and I can't get any emulator to run! x.x

2. Fire Emblem 7. Enough said.

3-4. Super Robot Taisen 1 and 2. As great as Fire Emblem, only in the future! Too bad the graphics aren't that much of a rival to the Fire Emblem series, but hey, it's on par on the other aspects!

5. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest! o.o and yes I'm serious!

6. ..And yes, I'm including Final Fantasy X. Story-wise..I think.

And..

Also, and this shocks a lot of people; I do not like chrono trigger (fanboy fanatics completely ruined the game for me), I do not like the zelda games save for the first two on the NES, and I do not like final fantasy 1-6.

Not surprising to me actually; Chrono Trigger doesn't have that much merit in my opinion, and Zelda's kinda..boring (well, I actually get bored on similar games for the exception of Final Fantasy Adventure) so yeah.
Because holding a floating crystal ball is awesome.
-----

B-but I kill red jellies o.o....

mikelangelo11
Red Jelly

Postby mikelangelo11 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 pm

These are all my favourite RPG games
Demons Souls
Mass Effect 2
Final Fantasy

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:35 am

apocalis20 wrote:5. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest! o.o and yes I'm serious!

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest FTW! The first ever RPG I played and beat myself.

Return to “General Gaming”