Favourite character to play as? (Lufia DS)

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Favourite character to play as?

Maxim
46%
Tia
15%
Guy
No votes
Selan
15%
Dekar
8%
Artea
15%

Total votes: 13

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Favourite character to play as? (Lufia DS)

Postby SinReVi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm

See topic title.

I like playing as Dekar best =P

not in order V

Maxim: Nothing wrong with him.

Selan: Yay for Icicle Blade and magic!

Tia: I like to use her when attacking at a distance, she is ok as long as she isn't underleveled.

Dekar: He can use every type of weapon and he has a strong Wave Art attack =P
(all the other characters only use one type of weapons, Artea uses guns, Maxim uses swords, etc etc)

Guy: He is powerful, but his attacks are slow =P I use him when there are multiple monsters. He also has a lot HP.

Artea: I love floating around with him =P He only joined the party a little while ago, so I haven't used him alot in battle yet, but he seems to be ok =P

(Lexis: Sorry! I'm not playable!)
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Sinistral_89
Villager

Postby Sinistral_89 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm torn between Maxim and Dekar. In case of doubt, I vote for the main character. Yeah, I know, I'm boring. :(

My rankings for the characters:

1) Maxim/Dekar:
Both are nice all-around characters. I like the voice actor of Dekar the most, but I like Maxims wave arts a bit more. It's just always fun to play with them. XD

2) Selan:
Also a very balanced character. But her charged attacks are a bit to powerful for my taste. I put her in the 2nd spot because I didn't want to have 3 characters to be no. 1. |D

3) Tia:
She is useful, but in combat her lack of defense can be punished very quickly. Well, at least in the beginning.

4) Guy:
Way to slow for being a bit stronger isn't a good deal for the attacks in my opinion. But he was very useful for the acient cave in my first playthrough.

5) Lexis:
...c'mon, his Excerion is damn useful for traveling! D:

6) Foomy:
...just kidding.

7) Artea:
Oookay, Perhaps Artea isn't that bad. XD° But I'm not a big fan of gun slingers. :P He also seems to be a bit too weak for me.

But nevertheless, all characters can turn out good if you put the magic stones in the right order, so the differences between the characters are not that huge.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 pm

1. Dekar
2. Selan
3. Maxim
4. Artea
5. Tia
6. Guy

Or more like:
1. Dekar
2. Maxim, Selan and Artea
3. Tia
4. Guy

~ OUT NOW! 2010

ReynardFox
Soldier

Postby ReynardFox » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 pm

I... I don't know, I'm waiting for an English translation to be released here. *hangs head*

I'll probably enjoy playing as Maxim, though. From all that I hear, he sounds pretty well balanced (as expected of the main character). And since I like Selan as a character, I'd probably make myself like whatever game mechanics are attached to her anyway. :mrgreen:

We shall see! I'll probably revisit this topic when I get my hands on a copy (as I'm staying optimistic that Estpolis: The Lands Cursed by the Gods gets a North American release).

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:18 pm

*bump*
Since the English version is released, maybe there will be more reactions in this topic.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Ranks based on utility and combat so far...

1)Maxim - Higher rank than Dekar because of Cross Dash. He also racks up the best overkill bonus with multiple enemies and is the most useful in boss fights.

2)Dekar - Versatility with almost all weapons (except Dual Blade) makes him useful for combat and grinding. Also over powered special attacks make him useful for boss battles. Useless for puzzles and platforming though.

3)Selan - Best used for exploring than fighting because of Ice Blade (I used to scout ahead often). However her low HP cuts life short in gang bangs making you waste resources because of it. Though charge attacks bring devastation to bosses if used correctly.

4)???
5)???

6)Guy - Sluggish and slow making him useless for boss battles. Plus his only ability is to smash things. Guy does have high HP and Power, but he feels like a cheap knock off of a supposed-to-be power house.

I'm still undecided about Tia and Artea because I haven't gotten to that point in the game.

Tia is a step down from Selan because she has just as low HP. Tia can force more damage than Selan with basic attacks and hook + final shot is very useful for dealing heavy damage to armored enemies. Being open after attacking makes cuts her usefulness by half, forbidding Tia is used in a Sinistral fight.

Haven't played Artea yet, he might be more useful than Tia or not.

And we all agree, Guy sucks.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

ReynardFox
Soldier

Postby ReynardFox » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Okay! I can at least answer this topic, since I haven't finished the game yet, though I've recruited everybody and had a chance to try them out. I guess my order is something like this, though it changes a bit from time to time:

• Selan: Without a doubt (and probably not at all surprising). Selan seems to respond a bit quicker than the other characters when it comes to dodging and hauling ass away from enemies. Her two charge attacks are also pretty amazingly destructive when they're used right. The R+X attack is good for a linear lineup in front of you, while the R+Y standard charge attack is great for a group that's suddenly surrounded you. The R+Y Ice attacks are also lovely since they seek out enemies, though it's tricky to use them well, since it does take a few seconds to invoke.

She's also my favourite character, but I'm trying to be unbiased, here. Honest. XD
  • Maxim: As the predictably well-rounded main character, I wasn't very surprised to see that he's at the top of the tier. He's a good solid character, well-balanced in just about every regard — "jack of all trades, master of none." His fire attacks are particularly useful since they do hit reasonably hard, though you can't chain together the hits quite as rapidly as Selan's. Cross Dash is really useful, though; I use it to rush back and forth impaling enemies to keep them immobilised. Coupled with added IP recovery, it's a pretty useful (if kind of cheap) technique.
  • Artea: I REALLY LIKE ARTEA. He's a lot of fun to play as, and the ability to float (flying elves, what will they think of next?) is really kind of neat. The fact that his long-range attacks are actually pretty powerful is a handy dandy bonus.
  • Tia: If she isn't underlevelled, and as long as she stays at range, Tia is a veritable powerhouse. Her boxing glove can dish out ridiculous damage in a relatively short amount of time, and the fact that it's water is pretty useful against those stupid Red Cores.
  • Dekar: He may be the Strongest Man in the World, but I found his special attacks too slow to really be useful.
  • Guy: With a lot of jumping around he can be useful, but his abse attacks are just too slow to be practical. Maybe I just don't have practise with him, but he gets hit too much for my tastes.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:08 am

She's also my favourite character, but I'm trying to be unbiased, here. Honest. XD

Sure. If you were her true fan, then Rule #34!

I'm still waiting for Rule #34 Lufia.
---DarkMaster2101

Ashera
Red Jelly

Postby Ashera » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

This was a tough one to choose on...

I love Selan because she's quick and her charge attack is rather powerful/quick for Sinistral fights (assuming she doesn't get smacked around first).

I probably have Maxim and Dekar tied for second behind her, because they're both versatile. I love that Dekar can use any type of weapon in the game, though, as someone else mentioned, his specials are a little slow to use.
Maxim's Cross Dash is one of my favorite skills to use, especially in "monster houses" in the Ancient Cave... It makes killing/overkilling so much easier.

Tia... I like that she turns out to be water-based. I use her more than I'd like to admit, despite her low hit points.

Artea isn't that bad. I just don't like how low his defense is, which makes him really only good for long-ranged fights.

Guy... Boy, what did they do to him? He isn't terrible, but he's far from good. His speed (or lack thereof) makes it hard to use him.

Lexis... Where's your wrench and magic???

jgrizzy89
Red Jelly

Postby jgrizzy89 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 pm

I had to vote for Tia. Whenever a few people have fainted she's the first one I am willing to use a miracle on. Her Charge X attack is incredible and always helps push enemies away when there are too many. Though I have to say I've started to "get" Guy on the battlefield and have begun using him much more.
Last edited by jgrizzy89 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I voted for Artea. Gotta love that glide ability. For battles, though, Tia is my favorite. I could probably make it through the game just using Tia and Artea.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Gaawa-chan
Red Jelly

Postby Gaawa-chan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Artea by far. He is so much fun to control. Pile on power and crit stones and tear into the enemies... he makes traversing places a lot cooler, too.

Then Selan. She's pretty versatile and as others have stated, she's great for combos and responsive. I love her special attack(s).

I can't really choose from the rest, but:

Maxim kind of bores me. I guess I'm a bit tired of playing the sword-wielding, perfectly-balanced main character that's in almost every RPG. He's great to control, but... yeah. Boring.

Tia and Guy come off as pretty slow but Tia's attack speed depends upon her proximity to the enemy. She's okay but I never use her unless I'm fighting an enemy that can poison me. Her special is pretty awesome, though.

Guy seems to be underrated. I found him to be very useful as soon as I started putting stones on his board. By giving him more IP/IP recovery, he can spam his spin attacks and by linking him to as many resistances as he can reach, he becomes a damage absorber. So you can swap him out when you need a fast attack/combo, and then bring him in when you need to avoid taking lots of damage from hard-to-dodge attacks.

Dekar can function like all of them so I'll just comment on his special. It functions in a similar way to Guy's spin, save that it instantly knocks away the enemies so it can be a real lifesaver. If you put a gun or suitcase on him, then he can kick butt from a distance and when enemies close you can either change his weapon or use his special to knock them away.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm revising my list of priority for characters now that I've played Artea.

Maxim - No. 1 for best offense and defense and can best all monster types. Also Cross Dash can reap great overkill bonuses.

Selan - No.2 for Lethal charge techs, but low HP makes her rarely used. If used correctly, Selan can reap more overkill than Maxim.

Dekar - Holds No.3 for substitution of Maxim and Selan as well as others. His charge special is too slow to use (unless you want to sacrifice Dekar in boss battles). Exploding Fist is useful in AC due to close quarters combat. Don't hive him a hammer though.

Artea - No.4 because of his late arrival. Artea is the best range fighter in the entire game. Give him a few Crit stones and he'll replace Tia forever. His gliding might seem to be an advantage in AC, but trust me you're better off spamming dodge.

Tia - No.5 for her steep learning curve and low evasion, but she can be a trump card when facing machines and fire elements. Her hook and charge attacks can be useful when mastered in AC.

6)Guy - Dead last. His sluggish speed is his greatest weakness. His charge attacks are his only virtue. To bad he flinches when he takes damage (without the right stones) DURING HIS ATTACKS. Nonetheless Guy isn't useless. He can weaken mass enemies down so Selan can rain icicles to reap the greatest overkill bonuses.

And there you have it. A full tier list of Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals characters. Whether or not you agree, you're just a blind fan to that character. :P
---DarkMaster2101

ReynardFox
Soldier

Postby ReynardFox » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 am

DarkMaster2101 wrote:Selan - No.2 for Lethal charge techs, but low HP makes her rarely used. If used correctly, Selan can reap more overkill than Maxim.

Artea - No.4 because of his late arrival. Artea is the best range fighter in the entire game. Give him a few Crit stones and he'll replace Tia forever. His gliding might seem to be an advantage in AC, but trust me you're better off spamming dodge.

6)Guy - Dead last. His sluggish speed is his greatest weakness. His charge attacks are his only virtue. To bad he flinches when he takes damage (without the right stones) DURING HIS ATTACKS. Nonetheless Guy isn't useless. He can weaken mass enemies down so Selan can rain icicles to reap the greatest overkill bonuses.

Actually, Selan can be an overkill monster. It takes a bit of timing, though -- you have to time her charged special attack to the point where you can push back a monster. Ideally, the initial toss of Ice Disc will cause the monster to stagger back, the immediate second hit will kill it, and all the rest will be a crazy salvo of overkill bonuses.

That's the way I've been using her, anyway. I use her so much that I've got a pretty good feel for the timing, and just how much I can get away with in that regard.

Regarding Guy, he's also a matter of getting used to the timing. The trick with him is to swing an attack before the monster's actually up in your face. He's so powerful that he can knock most things back pretty easily, and his charge attack with the spinning hammer is pretty devastating when it's timed correctly. Things just go flying in all directions; it's awesome.

Ah, and Artea. Yeah, the glide is actually not that useful unless you're taking a linear path to flee. It's useful only if you're charging and trying to lock on for a special attack, because moving while in the air doesn't slow him down to a crawl. That's pretty much the only use I found for it (other than the slightly lamer "well, because it's fun" approach).

I tended to favour Maxim and Selan pretty heavily, though. Cross Dash is infinitely useful, and Maxim's good all-around balance means he doesn't get trashed on a regular basis. Selan has the downright unfair overkill bonus, and when you give her mystic stones oriented towards magic damage, she can be pretty monstrously powerful.

Your mileage may (and probably will) vary, of course. :mrgreen:

MysticIris
Red Jelly

Re: Favourite character to play as? (Lufia DS)

Postby MysticIris » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 am

I thought I'd put in my two cents as I just finished the game. I definitely found that I had my favorites.
1. Maxim--His Cross Dash ability is one of the most useful in the game. Overkill is quite easy with him and I found myself using him the most in the game.
2. Selan--Her Ice Blade is just awesome for attacking enemies at a distance and getting extra experience. Her normal attacks are pretty good as well and I used her a lot when I first got her.
3. Dekar--His versatility is nice, he has good power and I found his Exploding Fist to be a lifesaver more than once. He definitely made it easier for me when those big monster battles happened in the Ancient Cave.
4. Artea--I agree with the people who said he came in a little too late in the game. His attacks are interesting, especially his lock-on, but I found myself using other characters more. Plus, he has pretty low defense.
5. Guy--Yeah, I know, everyone is staring in disbelief that Guy isn't last. He is a really slow fighter, but his spinning hammer attack did come in handy for me in some boss fights and monster battles. It really is too bad that he is soooooo slow because I could have seen him being a really awesome character if he wasn't.
6. Tia--I hear she can be really good with the right mystic stones, but her defense is so low that she usually died pretty fast when I used her. That's why she's below Guy. :P

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”