What's Taito going to do?

Comment on Lufia World's news and updates.

Moderators: Chris, Moderator Team

News System
Knight

What's Taito going to do?

Postby News System » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Taito trademarked Lufia I and Lufia II. (Source <A HREF="http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/23/lufia-and-darius-twin-coming-to-virtual-console/">Siliconera</A>) <br>
Siliconera says the reason might be for re-releases, possibly on the Wii Virtual Console.<br><br>
I wonder what else they would trademark the Lufia games for... The 3DS also has a virtual console but I don't know if it is going to let you play snes games.
Automated news system.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Nintendo says 3DS VC will let you play all VC games plus Gameboy and Gameboy color games. They might throw in a Gamegear or Neo Geo Pocket games.

Then again, Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 is a 3DS port of the original.

My big question about the 3DS is will it play DS and DSi games? I'm not going to buy a DSi XL until I know I can play Pokemon Black and White on the 3DS (it's for DS, but I want to mess with DSi features).

As for Lufia on VC, that's Square Enix's decision now. Estpolis DS sold only 14,000 copies on its first week. That's not numbers that Square Enix wants. Neverland is happy that the game sold (I would be glad for any numbers my game sold). But Square Enix kind of has a monopoly on the JRPG market.

Don't make an argument with me how other publishers are competing with the Japanese role playing game market. Nintendo is family games, Atlus's assets are liquidated, and don't even get me started on UbiSoft I don't know what the hell they're doing (besides Assasain's Creed and Tom Clancy games).

I've been wrong about my bets before, but I bet Lufia: The Legend Returns will get a remake before Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm

The could make a 3DS port of the original Lufias. I don't think one of Lufia II is specifically needed due to CotS but it would bring the game back in its original form at least. AFAIK they could just do what they did with Chrono Trigger on the DS; Keep it in its original state with no enhancements aside from some touch screen utilization.

It would be cool to see them redo Lufia I though. TLR and RoL I don't really care for as both were quite mediocre.

DarkMaster2101 wrote:My big question about the 3DS is will it play DS and DSi games? I'm not going to buy a DSi XL until I know I can play Pokemon Black and White on the 3DS (it's for DS, but I want to mess with DSi features).

The 3DS is supposed to be backwards compatible with the DS. (IIRC Pokemon Black/White was supposed to have a 3DS exclusive feature on it... either that or I'm thinking about video chat which would be possible on the DSi or 3DS.)

I never expected big numbers from CotS; AFAIK the series has been dead for most of the 2000s, and even still the games that were released since Lufia II were average at best. The series was never as good as it used to be on the SNES, and even though I have to say CotS is a good game, I didn't expect it to post sales numbers that were all that impressive, especially since Natsume didn't print very many copies in the US. (Not sure about SE in Japan.) Even still, I found that most games developed by Neverland like Rune Factory usually are uncommon/rare. They really do need to make a bigger run of it, because I can tell you that anyone who remembers Lufia II will probably come by this, take a look at the box, see that it's a reboot of II then remember how good it was and buy it. You really can't lose unless you look at conservative retro gamers.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:56 am

Want to kill some time before the next Lufia or Lufia fan game, then read my fan fiction here on Lufia World Forum.

Comming soon to FanFiction.net.
---DarkMaster2101

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 pm

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary wrote:
, especially since Natsume didn't print very many copies in the US. (Not sure about SE in Japan.)

I don't know about the rest of Japan, but this shop has too many copies!

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary
Head Moderator

Postby DualBladeAlstadtMilitary » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm seeing a trend here.

Estpolis: The Lands Cursed by the Gods, published by Square Enix, made tons of copies, didn't sell well.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, published by Natsume, cockblocked Canada for two weeks following its release, quantities were limited (it's the only game I've ever had to order from Amazon) and people interested in the game complaining that it's too hard to find.

These guys have it ass backwards.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:08 am

Well, I'm not one to talk because I lived in a small town in the Panhandle of Texas (instantly making me retarded). Still, before I resorted to ordering this game through Gamestop I tried to find this game at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart doesn't even have this game, online or off! It might now though. Haven't checked online yet.

Sorry I brought up sales guys. Now it seems like this is the last Lufia game. This game really bombed horribly for a Square Enix game IN JAPAN. Either SE or Taito sexual intercourse up the marketing, Kotaku's review made a difference, or possibly the fans of Estpolis moved on to other games.

Well, Japan's game market is worse than the US. I don't know what happened over there but there have been lay offs left and right for video game jobs everywhere.

Now the game isn't a rotten rat carcass buried inside of two football fields of fecal matter and dog whiz (AVGN terminology there, sorry). I still recommend this game. Even after I've beaten the game I still can't give it more than a 3 out of 5 (Cobes now won't accept the review because of the score's finalization). That's not because I have high expectations for this as a Lufia game. It's because it can't stand out as an Action RPG in an over crowded market.

Even so, bad games can sell. Look at Sonic. Next gen Sonic games blow in reviews but SEGA still manages to sell them. I would have to say bad marketing played a big hand.

If Square Enix's marketing plan is to slap their name on a legendary title and say "it's a Square Enix game, buy it," then they no longer deserve my support, including buying and selling games to them.

I'm sure Natsume got into a few arguments with SE over marketing. Natsume at least tries, man! Natsume had e3 interviews, magazine articles, and word of mouth. Sure there's a few articles of Estpolis in a magazine and that bad ass mini-site, but did Square Enix have a translation for that site? Nope.

I'm ranting more hot air than the time I said Lufia is sexual intercourse dead. Still, I can't help but say it's not SE's fault. It's not Natsume's fault. It's not [f]Atlus's fault. It's not even Neverland's fault.

It's our fault. The fans are at blame to give Lufia a high standard it doesn't deserve.

The first game really wasn't special. Lufia II was where things got hot. Even then Lufia II didn't catch on with the audience then. When Final Fantasy VII brought JRPG's to Playstation, Lufia tried to follow. I don't know what happened but their publisher for Playstation died, taking all legal resources with them and forcing the company to use the scraps they had left to make a game in less than six months.

Our expectations were so high with Lufia II then, that when The Legend Returns was made fans went ape brown stuff and sexual intercourse back stabbed the series. Though Ruins of Lore was under another developer, the game tries to return to Lufia II's game play. Because the game was a gaiden and not published by Natsume in the US, the fans passed it off and pretty much ignored it.

Only core fans like us stuck with the series through and through. Even then, when we heard Lufia DS is a remake of Lufia II, we hyped up the expectation.

Until we saw the artwork, and the game play. sexual intercourse. Fans were expecting the game to bring nostalga of Lufia II instead of seeing the game as a new re-imagining of the world in 3D. The only thing nostalgic in the DS game is the music. It just replays the exact tracks from Lufia I and II with the DS sound card.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect for the next game. I do expect the game to not be Lufia II. We got Lufia II on the Gameboy Advance, but we passed it off. We got Lufia II's story and music on the DS, but Lufia II fans gave up years ago.

There is no such thing as a Lufia fan because the only game that had fans was Lufia II. I hope Lufia II doesn't come to virtual console.
---DarkMaster2101

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:22 pm

DualBladeAlstadtMilitary wrote:I'm seeing a trend here.

Estpolis: The Lands Cursed by the Gods, published by Square Enix, made tons of copies, didn't sell well.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, published by Natsume, cockblocked Canada for two weeks following its release, quantities were limited (it's the only game I've ever had to order from Amazon) and people interested in the game complaining that it's too hard to find.

These guys have it ass backwards.

Somehow I get the impression Lufia is more popular outside Japan.

- There were ads advertising a Sega Genesis version of Lufia & The Fortress of Doom. However I've never seen any ads of a Japanese version of this port, can't find any information about a Japanese version being planned either.

- The NA version of Lufia TLR was supposed to be released before the Japanese release. (But Natsume kept delaying it, in the end the Japanese version did came out before the NA version because of the delays <_< )

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals

~ OUT NOW! 2010

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 am

SinReVi wrote:Somehow I get the impression Lufia is more popular outside Japan.

You're right about that one. Take a look for yourself: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/40 ... inistrals/

The game sells about 31.6k copies in Japan, (where you can imagine it, we can imagine it being sexual intercourse by an octopus). On its first ten weeks it sells 25.3k copies.

Because the game didn't launch in the first ten weeks here, it doesn't get a ten week estimate, but in less time, the game sells almost 46k copies.

I feel sorry for Neverland if Natsume screwed them over on NA localization.

The Japanese must be boycotting Square Enix or something. Maybe they're still mad at Final Fantasy 13 and 14. They're still mad at Final Fantasy 8 last time I checked.
---DarkMaster2101

Return to “Lufia World - News and Updates”