Lufia: Curse of the Dead Battery.

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xellos667
Villager

Lufia: Curse of the Dead Battery.

Postby xellos667 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

While doing my Lufia marathon, starting with the first Lufia on SNES, I started to remember why I have difficulties playing retro-RPG on their original console...the overgrowing fear of waking up one morning and see our progress all wiped out from the cart because of a case of dead battery inside. I'm not very good with opening cart and changing things myself. I've watched videos on Youtube, and I thought to myself "I'm almost 100% certain to screw up somewhere"

So far with the original Lufia, no problem. But yesterday, I tried Lufia The Legend Returns on my GBA SP to see if the save battery was still holding, and to my horror, there was no save on it. Granted it was not a new game, except if the guy never played it after opening the game, there should be at least one save. I started a game, and so far, the GBC cart seems to be holding the save, but for how long.

So, amongst the 4 Lufia using battery save (well, all of the Lufia games except the DS one), did you ever lose any data because of a battery screw-up? I remember my old cart of Lufia 1 when I was young erased my saves once before starting to work fine again afterward, but other than that, I'm still wishing everyday that luck will stay on my side with my current purchases...

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: Lufia: Curse of the Dead Battery.

Postby SinReVi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:24 pm

My Lufia TLR (which was 2nd hand) lost some savefiles... I think... three times? (the last time it wiped out all savefiles)

Lufia II - Both of my cartridges delete savefiles sometimes, usually after re-inserting cartridges.
I sort of fixed this problem after the last time my savefile was deleted (right before the ending <_<). Since I have a copybox on my snes, I use it to make copies of the savefiles of both my Lufia cartridges every single time after playing now, instead of once in a while. So even if one of my Lufia cartridges deletes a save now, I can load my most recent back-up into my real cartridge. :twisted: now I hope the back-up data doesn't get deleted from the floppy disk...

My Japanese Lufia DS once deleted a savefile, but that was after a message saying something about corrupt data...

My English Lufia DS and Lufia RoL cartridges never deleted savefiles.

-
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I wish flash memory would have been more affordable back then like it is now. But out of curiosity. What is this copybox you're talking about?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:05 pm

http://home.clara.net/robwebb/backup/ffe/ffedx2.html
I actually have backups on my laptop of my first Lufia playthrough, some unfinished playthroughs, and backups from my 11th-current playthroughs (a few are missing). I guess it's also a plus I can also use my files back-up files on emulators, although I 'll need something to get data from a floppy disk on my laptop now...

~ OUT NOW! 2010

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:15 pm

It seems really godly. I never heard of that before (granted I'm not searching a lot on the "un-official" scene). Maybe it would be a good move to buy one...though the problem still remain for the Gameboy games :(

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Since I don't have a GBA SP anymore (or my GBA or GBC) I just leave my TLR cartridge in my gameboy player for the gamecube since it is my favourite GBC game. Most of the time Lufia TLR is in it, and I rarely take it out... since less removing/re-inserting cartridges should mean less chance of deleted gamefiles... (at least I hope that also works for GB(C) games)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:23 am

Regarding L: TLR - Actually, pressing/tapping start before the title screen shows up asks if you'd like to delete all saved data. Maybe the previous owner did that? If I remember right, Lufia II does the same thing.
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am

good thinking. It may have been the case. At least I really hope so. For now at least the battery is holding on

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 pm

The only legit Lufia game I own is Curse of the Sinistrals and that uses flash memory. So no dead batteries then.

Course, I'm afraid to buy an old Lufia game now. The ones I played was via emulations. The Legend Returns was released when? Close to the end of the millennium and even then it's battery is dying. Sheesh, the battery for Legend of Zelda on the NES still works.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

xellos667
Villager

Postby xellos667 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:43 pm

This is the thing though. It is known that the battery used inside console game cart like the NES and SNES are more powerful than those used inside portable game cart like the GB/GBC/GBA. So many times, the battery of a GBA games may die before a NES battery...yes this is weird...

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 pm

xellos667 wrote:This is the thing though. It is known that the battery used inside console game cart like the NES and SNES are more powerful than those used inside portable game cart like the GB/GBC/GBA. So many times, the battery of a GBA games may die before a NES battery...yes this is weird...

No, that makes sense. GBC cartridges are much more smaller than NES cartridges, so naturally NES/SNES cartridges have bigger batteries which at the time holds a longer charge than the smaller ones.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”