Feedback for Demo 2.0

Discuss the upcoming fan game by Dekar The Great, Zifanite, and PsiCop.

Moderators: PsiCop, Dekar The Great, Moderator Team

Dekar The Great
Knight

Feedback for Demo 2.0

Postby Dekar The Great » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Please leave any feedback you have for the Demo 2.0, I would love to hear what you guys think.

Also, feel free to tell me about any bugs or issues you have found while playing, hope you are all having a great time with it!
Lufia V: For the Savior Demo 2.2 and Welcome to Ostiaka Out Now!

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

List of Bugs and Typos so far...

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 am

Update: June 5, 2011 12:36 AM

Okay... Just downloaded the demo tonight. Sorry, I have a How to Play Fire Emblem the Board Game document overdue (well, it's not overdue because I delayed the full edition two weeks within June). Still, I have been trying to keep myself busy.

I haven't extracted the folder yet, but I will update within this exact post with technical hiccups or question relating to the game.

If you're wondering what machine I'm using, Miomni is a Compaq 8510w Laptop. This means she has an Intel Core 2 Duo Processer and an Nvidia Quadro FX 750M with Sound Max Integrated HD Audio (which is crap on these speakers, thus I use the USB Logitech hand me downs). Miomni has 4 gigs of RAM (which is a HUGE improvement from 2 gigs). She is currently using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

Also, she has HDMI output. If I have to, I can hook her up to my 42" Vizio if you want me to count the pixels. But I can count pixels just fine on this monitor so that seems like a waste.

She's more than capable of handling RMK2k3. Fact I was using Miomni for Lufia v-21.01 with the original demo. Also, I've dealt with my share of RMK2k3's slow downs (parallel processes just use way too much processor, which is why I don't use RMK2k3 anymore).

I'll play around with the demo a bit tonight while I give a first impressions report in the morning.

Update: June 5, 2011 3:36 AM

Okay, these are the known bugs and typos I spotted so far...

In the intro, the screen shot of Maxim's last battle lasts only for a split second. SUGGESTION: Make it last longer or sync it with the text.

When the white haired guy vanishes with the Dual Blade, the Dual Blade doesn't vanish when the screen fades out.
    The MIDI's don't loop properly. SUGGESTION: You can edit those via Noteworthy Composer to make them loop. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you an example.

The little girl below the item shop as well as the old woman in the arena doesn't have quotation marks during their dialogue 10 years before.

There's a bit of lag when transitioning from house to town. SUGGESTION: I think you may be able to solve this by hiding the screen a little longer (simulating load time). Unless RMK2k3 doesn't move events while the screen is hidden, then ignore this suggestion.

Cameron needs to sleep in his own house! I'm sorry, but why do you have to go to the outskirts of town to sleep for a full recovery when you can sleep in your own goddamn house for free. Understand that Maxim doesn't have a house in Elcid, but Hero lives in Alekia's inn. So you only can sleep in your house in the cut-scenes in the beginning, but then the bitch mayor kicks you out when you have control? "Oh, you have to support the town's economy by paying to live at the end. Get the sexual intercourse out of my house? What were they thinking!?

When you talk to Rigas during the prologue, "Hey Cam," is suppose to be an interjection due to the latter sentence being compound.

When Cam says, "I think so..." when talking to Tieka, it should have a comma instead of an ellipsis. Ellipsis is fine for Tieka because at that time she's exhausted.

During the time when Rigas is talking to the mayor, there's a sentence that ends with a comma instead of a period. Look up one of SinReVi's movies to find it.

Remove the quotation marks from asides if you're using parenthesis. "(I'm thinking about corn.)" Should be like: (I'm thinking about corn.)

The "Peace Festival" is a LAAAAAAAMME name. Okay, this isn't a bug but I thought I should let you know.

When Rigas is chasing after Tieka on the world map, the BGM should be the same as when the chase started. Helps reduce continuity issues.

Item descriptions obviously need to be revised and edited. i.e. Short Sword - "a small, but effective sword" and Tan Tunic has no text.

After pushing the pillar on the pressure switch after unlocking the Portal Door, sing the teleporter and returning reset's the pillar's position, but the switch is still pressed. The switch resets when the pillar is pressed.

That's what I discovered so far...

And that's all I have for tonight. If you want a list of my raw notes, including suggestions for cut-scenes and such, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. In the meantime the morning finally cooled down and I can sleep.

Good night!

UPDATE: June 5, 2011 1:39PM

Even more bugs, but not as extensive as the last list. Besides, it's E3 today.

Noticed that pressure switches and step switches lack sound effects. This might be intentional or not.

If the boss monster fades away, why not the minions after you defeated them?

"Darnit" is actually two words: Darn it.

Mayor loses her name when in the underground shelter.

You should sleep in the shelter for free, same as your house because YOU LIVE THERE!?!?!?

Also, exclamation marks should be before question marks. You know, for the sentence to feel like a dramatic question instead of a question reaction. Not too sure why I chose this way, but prove me if I'm wrong.

"Thank You.." Needs an extra period or the second period needs to be removed.

When Cam reenters Taisume, the window should be displayed before the cut-scene not after.

When the people talk in unison, they need to speak like other NPC's (Name: Everyone with quotation marks)

Should be able to talk to the guard who unlocks the shelter after he unlocks it. Just a little polish.

And that's all I have today. In the meantime, I'm going to scrounge up all the E3 info I can today.

UPDATE: June 6, 2011 1:43 PM

Playing a little bit during EA's press conference. Never was interested in EA. These are the bugs and typos I found today and last night.

I have to hold forward while pressing shift to cut the object in front of me. SUGGESTION Instead of using collision, use facing. Unless you tried that, then ignore this suggestion.

When I slept at the inn in the dirt cave, the BGM changed back to the event's BGM.

The BGM for the newt encounter past the bushes in the X room doesn't have increased tempo like the other encounters.

There's a few people in Jarea who don't have quotation marks around their dialogue.

When Cam asks for the Medallion of Jarea, should it be the Jareanan Signet instead?

This isn't a bug, but perhaps a jingle as audio feedback for completing puzzles would be a nice touch.

UPDATE: June 6, 2011 4:35 PM

My complaint is at a latter post, this is going to be the last list of bugs until the next version of the demo is released.

When you check the locked house in Jarea, the dialogue has an extra quotation mark.

When you bump into the old man's wife (the one that gave you the Jareanan Signet) she talks to you.

Found an easy way to defeat Red Hat. All I had to do is stand next to her while she appears and attack her. The fireballs can't touch me while I'm next to her.

When you defeat Red Hat, the fireballs don't disappear and can still hurt you when you walk through them.

This isn't a bug or typo but more of a interpretation error. When Red Hat says "Your friend didn't have any money, and YOU didnt have any skill." Obvious grammar mistake is obvious. Still, it doesn't make sense because you had the skill to defeat her. SUGGESTION Obviously Red Hat has ADD and wouldn't say something like that because she would have acknowledged Cam's skill a little bit. Let her say something like "Ah well. Your friend doesn't have any money, but you have skill. I think I'll let you go for now." Of course her letting anyone go is deception period.

After Ivy appears to rescue you from the dungeon, the timer is still ticking. Might want to fix that.

"Anyywayys" Really? If you're going to emphasize it then maybe Aaanyywaaays would be much better (due to emphasizing the "a" instead of the "y").

The old woman who lives in the house next to the inn has extra periods in her dialogue. The first statement may end with an ellipses but the second should end with one period.

There is a random block stuck inside the wall next to the door after the spike wall. Might want to remove the block or hide it.

Biggest bug is that there's no possible way of finding the key that unlocks the door past the colored block room. Also, there's no possible way of opening the door next to the patch of bushes (the pressure switch opens the door to the left). THIS IS NOT A BUG, THERE'S AN INDENT IN THE GROUND.

Whew! Unless there's a way to get that key which I haven't figured out yet, this might be the end of the list of bugs for Demo 2.0. Well, I could cheat by downloading RMK2k3 and walk through walls to find a solution. But because that's not how players play the game I'm not going to do that.

Hope this list of bugs help for future development of the game.

UPDATE: June 12, 2011 12:22 PM

Okay, after that dumb-ass moment with the jar I decided to play the game to the next save.

There's a bat mob that doesn't vanish when you defeat the encounter in the maze.

Numerous grammatical typos in Lilly's dialogue that I forgot to write down. Might want to comb through her speech when you first meet her.

Also relayed your demo to Lufia.net and these are the bugs they found:

Sheepdude86 wrote:Unfortunately I broke the game right away. When you walk into Cain's house for the first time, your character is led through a dialogue sequence, after which he walks down and out of the house. However, it's possible to move in-between the dialogue when Cain is moving. Doing so will cause the character to be unable to move down and out of the house, as is scripted, and you will be stuck. Good thing I saved!

I have yet to personally confirm this. I'll do it on my second play through.

Not exactly a bug, but this is Cobe's feedback:

Cobes wrote:I couldn't tell when the demo ended but I couldn't figure out what to do after Cain joins my party.

I liked the intro and the changed graphics and music were all really well done. It seems like the game is going somewhere interesting and it's cool to see something fan made that feels a lot like the original Lufia game. Hopefully he keeps working on it.

And that's all for now.
Last edited by DarkMaster2101 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Dekar The Great
Knight

Re: Feedback for Demo 2.0

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks Darkmaster =)

I'll be sure to fix these when the full version comes out.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh there's more to come. This is only from playing up to the save before the portal room.

So are you interested in my full list of notes? They explain things more in detail than what I posted here. Also, I have more suggestions for polishing the game.
---DarkMaster2101

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:01 pm

To be honest, it is going to be quite awhile before I start working on the game again, so I think the best idea is to just put all suggestions and bug reports etc. on this forum so when I do start working again, all I have to do is come right here and start checking things off one by one until I've fixed everything, and then, once that is done, start working on the next parts of the game.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Suggestion List

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Okay, I think I'll have a suggestion post then. Which will be this post.

This isn't a list of bugs or typos, but more of things to help improve the game overall quality.

*sigh* It's a big list.

UPDATE: June 5 2011 1:05 PM (E3's today!)

For the intro, do you think you could find a way to animate Dual Blade floating and possibly glistening. The picture is nice, but feels kind of static.

After where it says Doom Island has risen, the chime that's suppose to be the Dual Blade ringing needs an echo. Otherwise it's not ringing at all.

Maybe the golden plates in the Fortress of Doom can be Tutorials on how to move on the map screen. You know, kind of how they were tutorials in the original Fortress of Doom. Or the plates could say "Time has whithered what was written on here."

For the mountains in the background of the Fortress of Doom, think you can make that a parallax background. It irks me that not even Lufia II edited that background to be parallax. Least not to my memory.

When you say music and sound copyrighted by Taito/NATSUME/Neverland. Don't forget to say you found the MIDI's from VGMusic.com or wherever you found them. Unless they're arranged by your active staff, then you say "Arranged by ..." (Sorry if this sounds like fan game 101, but hey I had to learn this too. Got the "Edited Sprites by..." right though.)

Okay, I'm going to be an asshole about this. Saying "I proudly present to you" is sexual intercourse egotistic to begin with. First off, you should never use possessive pronouns when you say you're presenting something. This being a fan game, possession also means you lay claim to copyrighted work which you don't. Also, there's obviously more people than yourself who helped you with the earlier versions of the game if not influenced the game's design. So you made Zifanite's step-by-step code. Sorry, you didn't.

Honestly, I don't care if you credit me for anything in this game. But I am helping you with quality assurance right now. Saying Dekar the Great proudly presents is still egotistic, but at least it lessens the blow of you claiming all content to the game (including copyright work you don't own).

Also, remove mayor from Nanai's name and replace Mayor with her name. This will help surprise the player her role as mayor when it's revealed.

If you're going to have Lady or Little Girl as a name, the don't. Remove the names completely or give them names. Heck, I'm sure SinReVi will have fun naming people. (Who you credited for sprite edits. Okay dropping that now.)

It's possible to change the confirm sound effect before entering the Save Menu. Since you don't have save command in the menu set up, you can change back the sound effect via a "master reset" common event.

Question: How can your gold decrease by 5 when you have none to start out with. Also, when it says gold decrease/increase just replace the text with a sound effect. Cha-ching! It's simple.

Also for the little girl in the arena, change "these" to "the arena" or "arena fights" and I'll give you a cookie and possibly a pet wolf.

Because you can't talk to the arena combatants in the past, have it where when you step down the steps the announcer yells at you to stay out. Also, be able to talk to the announcer.

If the arena fight takes all day, you can tint the screen to be orange or darker afterwards. Unless you're not using a day/night system, then ignore this suggestion.

As mentioned above, the Peace Festival is a LAAAAAAMME name. Well, the mayor is blond. :P

In the US instruction manuals, the world is named Lufia not Estpolis. If you don't have Lufia as main character, you might just stick to naming the land Lufia.

After the scream via textbox, insert sound effect lightning flash here. Maybe some screen flickering.

Because there's no ATB mode in the main menu, set the ATB mode to Wait by default. It makes things less tedious for new players.

Also, I understand that Rigas not having two swords severely nerfed him, but having to use 2-3 high potions just for the two mandatory boss battles in the game with no attack magic is a sign. Tweak Rigas to be a bit stronger physically or increase the potency of Strong.

The description for the Tan Tunic can be "A tunic woven from tanned monster hides." If you want, I can make a list of descriptions for your items. Though the bar steward Sword "Is kind of a jerk, but it gets the job done" might not be Lufian. (Disgea quote)

A status option is mandatory for all RPG's. Include it please.

Might want to refine the step-by-step system a little bit to be included in all dungeons. Or remove it completely.

Set up an escape handler please. I want to run away from unneeded battles.

Remove the HP/MP restored windows when you step on the panels. Helps speed up the game.

In the portal room, the screen shakes a little too much. Also, the timing of dialogue needs to be tweaked a little bit.

When the Mayor is rushing to the center of the circle of people underground. She should speak after she's in the middle, not while she's running.

Man I'm hungry, and it's E3! Well, I'm only interested in Sony's and Nintendo's press conference this year. These are my suggestions so far.

UPDATE: June 6, 2011 1:50 PM

Well time for suggestion updates.

Instead of saying "The tremors may have stopped, but it's not safe to go back in." Say something like "The tremors caused the enterance to collapse. Can't enter now." At least this gives a more physical reason to not be able to return to the cave.

Okay, for the intial two areas on the world map could you increase the random encounter rate please. Not too much though. Just enough to money grind for extra potions.

When the guard falls down the hole, play some funny music.

And that's all for now. There might be more later tonight.

UPDATE June 6 2011 4:56 PM

This will be the last update regarding polishing the game for demo 2.0 until 2.1 comes out.

When you complete the Simon-says puzzles with the blue jelly, include a jingle to indicate that the player succeeded or failed.

The west-most house in Jarea is empty and needs something inside it. People, treasure, anything.

And that's the end of the suggestion list until the next version of the demo comes out.

UPDATE June 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Okay, these suggestions might be a game changer.

I'm through the second dungeon finally and I noticed that there's a lack of MP recovering and reviving items. By now I should have at least 1 Regain and 3 Magic Jars.

Lilly's Regain Power is overpowered combined with her bind wound because they can be used in the main menu. I'm not saying remove these abilities from the game, but at least prevent using them in the menu. Adds a little bit of difficulty.

Also, when you get a chance to implement IP change Lilly's skills to IP.

Rename Bind Wound to First Aid and I'll give you another cookie.

And that's all I have for today.
Last edited by DarkMaster2101 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
---DarkMaster2101

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:31 pm

About the status screen...

I feel completely stupid lol...

Just now put it in. I had no idea I could add one in RPGmaker2k3, but after taking about 2 minutes.. found the option.. yay.

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Also...

You should be able to run-away from battles. Its kind of weird tho... you know how the battle system shows, Attack, Auto-Attack and Run-away first?

Well, I'd love to remove the Auto-Attack and Run-away there at the start...

Once you press attack, and then go to the part where it says Attack, Magic, etc... then if you scroll down, you should be able to run away.

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 pm

In the end I may make a Demo 2.1 or something soon, already looks to be so many errors >_<.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:32 am

Dekar The Great wrote:You should be able to run-away from battles. Its kind of weird tho... you know how the battle system shows, Attack, Auto-Attack and Run-away first?

Well, I'd love to remove the Auto-Attack and Run-away there at the start...

With that layout, it's kind of built into the engine. Unless you hack the engine, you're not going to change that.

Also, I really don't mind Auto-Battle. Makes grinding easier while eating a sandwich.

Dekar The Great wrote:In the end I may make a Demo 2.1 or something soon, already looks to be so many errors >_<.

Don't sweat it. The game's still a demo. If the game was finalized then I'll bitch about the lack of polish.

Also, I'm not even close to half way through the demo so don't start fixing bugs yet.

Speaking of that, I need to get started playing again. I need to make sure to wake up at 10 AM my time to catch Microsoft's press conference stream.
---DarkMaster2101

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Well brown stuff! this is as far as I can go with the demo without cheating. I beat the puzzle in the three colored block room. I humped every wall for a secret passage. I cut all the bushes and I killed all the monsters that can be killed and I still can't get the door in the jar room to open. Well, I'm afraid unless you want me to download RMK2k3 again to search for a solution I guess the demo naturally ends here.

No matter, I still have a list of bugs to that point. Review my first post for bugs.

If you do want me to progress, what do I have to do to find the key?
---DarkMaster2101

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Put the pot on the circular indentation found within the bushes in that room.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Dekar The Great wrote:Put the pot on the circular indentation found within the bushes in that room.

God I feel stupid now! I thought that was apart of the background.
---DarkMaster2101

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 am

=P nah, its kinda tricky..

That part actually used to be optional... the chest that holds the key once held a short sword, but at the last moment I decided I wanted
it to be mandatory to do that puzzle.

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:21 am

Well, don't change the indent into something else. It's too cryptic to leave out.

Say, I have a sword for Cameron. It's an heirloom from Maxim's bloodline passed down from generation to generation. It's one of the few swords that increases your attack and magical power.

I call it Caliburn, or Red Sabre, but you can name it whatever you wish.

(FYI Caliburn is Maxim's and Jeros's last name from Lufia Oath Under Moon, which is my fan fic.)

Before playing the demo again, do you have any weapons that are effective against certain monsters?
---DarkMaster2101

Return to “Lufia V: For the Savior”