What is Lufia?

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

matt17
Red Jelly

What is Lufia?

Postby matt17 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 am

I'm new to the Lufia series an I wanna know if it's an rpg worth playing. Is it better than the dragon quest games? The series looks interesting but I'm confused. Which lufia games are sequels and which are not?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: What is Lufia?

Postby SinReVi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Ok, in short (IMO)

Lufia I is similar to Dragon Quest, gameplaywise. (Well I played V, VI and IX and I think it's more similar to the older ones than IX) (group based battles, oldschool dungeons, saving system with churches,) Lufia I is the only one that has random battles in dungeons, in other games enemy sprites appear on screen (except on the overworld)

Lufia II introduces puzzle based dungeons and doesn't have random battles, except for on the worldmap. You might also be interested in the Ancient Cave which is a random dungeon of 99 floors.

Lufia TLR has randomized dungeons. This game has a battle system with max. 9 characters in battles, only 3 can attack in one turn.

Lufia RoL: I think the story/character interactions aren't as good as the other Lufia games. This game is the only one with a Job system. The dungeons have puzzles in them. This one is a sidestory and the main character is silent, unlike the main characters of the other games.

Lufia DS: Unlike the other Lufia games, this one is a Action RPG, instead of a turnbased one. This game also has puzzles, like Lufia II and RoL. This game is a remake/reimagining of the second game, so the story and characters are based on that game.

lufia RoL and Lufia DS use a "menu/point&click worldmap". Lufia I, II and TLR have a worldmap where you can actually walk/sail/fly around.

The chronological order would be Lufia II>Lufia Ruins of Lore> Lufia I> Lufia The Legend Returns
Ruins of Lore is a sidestory and Lufia DS is a action RPG remake/reimagining of Lufia II.

Lufia I takes place 100 years after Lufia II. Lufia TLR is 100 years after Lufia I. Lufia RoL is around 20 years after Lufia II.
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

matt17
Red Jelly

Postby matt17 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Thnx for the reply ^_^

I was gonna ask which game to start with but I guess I'll try to play them based on chronological order.
Does the DS Lufia do a good job as a remake/reimagining of lufia II, or do you suggest I play the original better?

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:00 am

Umm... Depends if you want to play the games in chronological release dates as opposed to canon. If you have a physical copy (I hope you do) of Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on Nintendo DS, then feel free to play that first.

If you plan to use emulation to play all the games, then I suggest Lufia II first as opposed to Curse of the Sinistrals.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

vivify93
Hero of the Lufians

Postby vivify93 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:35 am

Play all of them! Except stop playing Lufia TRoL after you get to a town called Eristol for the second time.

Then you can play in an endless loop, since Fortress is technically Curse's sequel. :P

Fortress > Rise > Legend > Curse > Fortress > ...
"Fortune-telling is all about the result. It doesn't matter how you get there." - Seena
Download my Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Lufia: The Legend Returns Text Cleanup patches!

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”