Well Hello

Are you new to the forums? Come and introduce yourself here then!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Well Hello

Postby ParaThe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:42 am

I guess Introductions are in order.
My name is Para, and been hooked on Lufia for 14-15 years now I suppose.

My addiction mainly covers Rise of the Sinistrals, which i have finished countless of times (stopped counting after the 150th time)

I came here because I googled to see if SinReVi had uploaded or mentioned my tattoo anywhere.

Been a member on multiple Lufia boards, but that has all been years ago, never managed to become very active on any of them, Internet was never available to me long.

Don't really know much else to say, besides I really enjoy the thought of talking about my obsession again with like minded people

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: Well Hello

Postby SinReVi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Why hello there =) Welcome to Lufia World!
I started with the Dutch Lufia II in 1997 =P
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

teefa85
Hero of the Lufians

Postby teefa85 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Hello.

Think I started back in like '94 with the original. My friends introduced me to it and I was hooked ever since.
Image Click to visit my Dragons.

Superdreuzel
Knight

Postby Superdreuzel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:52 pm

welcome!

Hmm, my aunt woudl lend me her dutch cersion of Rise of Sinistrals occasionally when i was younger. Years later, I bought my very own copy at a local gamestore, which took quite some effort because they seem very rare..
Image]

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Postby ParaThe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:06 pm

1997 sounds about right so that makes it 14 years, my mom bought the Dutch version for my birthday. Which was funny cause she was really not sure if I would like it, and she had almost decided against buying it.
Now years later my mom still considers it the best gift she has ever given me, and I can't agree more. The year she bought me Lufia was the year I stopped asking gifts and started asking money, knowing that one gift could never be outdone.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:52 pm

I saw my father playing it and then kept asking if I could play it too. Before I knew it he just gave the cartridge to me =P
Found out about Lufia I around a year later, but didn't actually finish it until 2001 because it was in English. (and I guess also some of the hard bosses) Lufia TLR and RoL were next, when I got internet (around 2002 probably?). Actually knew a bit earlier about Lufia RoL than TLR, I remember because when I got stucked in the Japanese rom of RoL, I tried finding a faq for Lufia on the gameboy, but it said things about battles with Gades. I thought this faq was about the same Lufia I was playing and I was like "But... but! Gades isn't even in this game! What are they talking about?! Huh what? There is a Lufia game for the gameboy color?"
And knew about Lufia DS when it was first announced =)

You got Lufia II for your birthday? That's awesome! I always wanted something Lufia related for my birthday, but... (well, I did get some Lufia cards and drawings)
Last year I considered putting my Lufia II cartridge and guide back into the box and then wrap it and pretend it was my birthday present =P I'm weird =P Didn't actually did it though.
I guess the Japanese version of Lufia DS was sort of a birthday present for my 19th birthday, when my parents asked me what I want I said: "I want Lufia DS, but that game isn't out yet!" So I just told them I don't want anything except money to buy the game when it's out.

~ OUT NOW! 2010

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Postby ParaThe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Started and abandoned TLR and RoL once to many times I guess. TLR wasn't that bad, story was fun, I kinda liked the dungeon crawl style dungeons. RoL was a major let down. I should just go and start them again and this time finish them. But me and emulators just don't mix, only managed to play and finish RotS emulated twice. But usually when i emulate it, it only takes me five minutes before i dust off my Snes and rock the cart.

Actually just fired up my Snes for the first time in a long while, and so glad to see my save is still there (old age causes the game to constantly remove the first save slot)

Also got FoD on cart, found it on a fleamarket years ago, but when i got home and started playing I soon learned the cart was busted, every time i started on the red tower the game froze, reset and wiped my saves :( So never finished FoD either :'( And now I can't even play the beginning anymore, cause couple years back i lost both my thingies to play imported games with together with all my Snes games, fortunately my Snes and both Lufia games where at a friend of mine, so those are still in my possession, and all I will ever need for my Snes.

Even if I managed to trackdown a copy of the DS version, don't think I will like it very much (me sad, me can't import). I'm a stubborn oldschool Snes JRPG person. And really don't like this whole action rpg craze gamecompanies 'think' is what the people want.

If you where to ask me the only good, great and perfect RPG's where on the Snes.

Hahaha that sounds like something I would do too, if only i still had the box and guide :( still don't know what happened to them and where they disappeared too.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm

I got my NA version of Lufia DS in the Gameshop in The Hague, last time I went there they still had it (a few days ago). Guard Daos helped me getting the Japanese version, so I don't know where to get that.

I also prefer playing on my snes. None of my emulator playthroughs of Lufia I and II were finished. I have a unfinished Lufia I and a unfinished Dutch Lufia II playthrough on my youtube channel. (Lufia II I stopped around Bound Kingdom, and Lufia I is on a break right now since I just played through that part of the game on my cartridge)
But I mainly use the roms to mess around with codes and patches =P

But I played the roms of Lufia TLR and Japanese RoL first, because I couldn't find a copy of TLR back then, and the English version of RoL didn't even exist yet.
I guess, I played Lufia I as a rom too first, since my father just looked for a rom of Lufia I and put it on a floppy for the copybox on the snes. (I saw Lufia I in a magazine and then kept asking if I could play that one too) So really, that was actually playing a rom on a snes. But nowadays I mainly use the copybox for making back-ups of my saves from my Lufia cartridges, just in case all the save files get deleted from a cartridge again.
Didn't get my Lufia I cartridge until April of this year, but I'm glad I have all 5 games now =P

When I was younger and my dad would take me to flea markets sometimes, I always looked for Lufia I when I saw snes games, but never saw it =(
But my parents bought a Lufia II guide (Dutch) for 1 or 2 euro's from a girl on a flea market, the guide was in good condition too =)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Postby ParaThe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:06 pm

I just got back from my trip to the city, didn't see it at Gameshop, and it was just to crowded to ask :( So guess I'll go back somewhere next week, and pray they have it, or can tell me if one of their other 2 stores still has a copy.

My copy of FoD came without a box or booklet, so i had no way of knowing it was actually the first game in the series, until i played it for the first time. I was to young to know and understand that Europe always got left out when it came to Jrpg's, so I thought it was the 2nd part in the Lufia series, which story wise it was hahaha.

I wish I grew up in a home with a copybox and internet :P would have made playing all the great Snes Rpg's so much more bearable hahaha (though finished most of them over the course of YEARS on emulators)

I actually still look for Lufia when i see Snes games somewhere, you never know when a extra copy will save your life.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 pm

It was somewhere at the DS games that start with "L". But maybe someone else just happened to buy it before you went into the shop, and then they didn't put a new copy on the shelves yet?

Hmmm a few days before the NA release I just asked the guy working there to call me when they got the game and save a copy for me. When I entered the shop I didn't even have to say what I came for XD They also said that when I was little I always asked if they had Lufia for the gameboy =P
Then a while later I decided to buy a second NA copy of Lufia DS just in case, the guy at the shop was like "Don't you already have this game? =P "
But that second copy is still sealed, I bought my second copy together with a copy of Rune Factory 3. And then I was just used to seeing my second copy being sealed, so I decided to just leave it sealed and put it near my other Lufia boxes =PI think I'll never open it, unless my first NA copy stops working =P

I also didn't know Lufia II was the second game first, since there was no number in the Dutch version.
So my dad had a CD with snes roms, Lufia I and Lufia II were on it, and we figured out that since the Lufia game I played had no number, the other Lufia game I saw in the magazine must be Lufia II.
Then I was like: "But but! This is exactly the same game except it's in english! What a weird game!"
When I actually got to play Lufia I, I reset the game somewhere in the Fortress of Doom, because I didn't want to start at the ending of the game. (I didn't understand most of the intro before entering the Fortress of Doom, but I recognized the intro as the ending of Lufia II and thought it was weird to start there at that point, and not somewhere with 1 partymember that's just level 1.

I'm not really for playing roms instead of real copies, but if I didn't have the copybox or some other bootlegs when I was young I probably wouldn't have found out about some games (or much later) and buy a real copy years later (or a remake/re-release/sequel of games I played). Some games of them were Lufia I, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV and Breath of Fire III.

We used to have snes cartridges too, but most of them are sold now. The only games left from back then are Mario Kart and Lufia II.

But now 4 of the 7 snes cartridges I own are actually Lufia cartridges =P
2 Dutch Lufia II cartridges, a Japanese Lufia II, Lufia I, Mario Kart, Terranigma and Dragon Quest V (which I can't actually read because it's Japanese, but I played the English DS version of it and I'd call Dragon Quest V one of my favourite RPGs, also, I bought it for only 10 euros)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 am

So YOU'RE the man who has the famous Daos tattoo?

I suppose a welcome to LFW is in order. Welcome.

Oh if you're interested, I've published a fanfiction that's a direct sequel to Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals starring Jeros.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Postby ParaThe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:26 pm

DarkMaster2101 wrote:So YOU'RE the man who has the famous Daos tattoo?

I suppose a welcome to LFW is in order. Welcome.

Oh if you're interested, I've published a fanfiction that's a direct sequel to Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals starring Jeros.

Read the beginning of it, but will hold it off till I finished Curse.

Went back to town today and they had a copy, probally it just wasn't re shelved last time i was there. Didn't even have to look for it, walked in, walked to the DS section and first stack i looked at was the stack where Lufia was resting :D

Not that far into it yet (bloody minecarts, took me forever to get past the reaction part hahaha) And even though I don't agree with the order of events, the restyling of some characters, and the overall lack of a world map. I am really enjoying it so far (yes even the Battle System, even though it really feels like I am playing Crystal Chronicals xD).

The dialogue truly captures me, and it truly feels as if I am 9 again playing RotS for the first time.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Really? Sorta had the same feeling too.
I don't remember where I wrote it (perhaps I didn't even write it on a board but told it in a IM to some person, or maybe I did both),
but one time I described Lufia DS as being the closest thing to "temporary deleting your memories, so you can experience Lufia II for the first time again", because the story and characters might be roughly the same, the game itself isn't because it isn't a direct port and has different gameplay, and different dialogue.

Well, ofcourse there are some things that don't make as much impact because of Lufia II, I mean, anyone who played Lufia II first knows that Iris turns out to be Erim, and I don't feel too sad about Dekar when he "dies", because I know he'll come back later. Stuff like that.

To me Lufia DS is the only game I'd tie with Lufia II =P
(My order is Lufia II/Lufia DS > Lufia TLR > Lufia I > Lufia RoL )

~ OUT NOW! 2010

ParaThe
Red Jelly

Postby ParaThe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:45 pm

That is a great way of describing it. I was going to say nostalgia hit me when i started playing it, but can't really be nostalgic when you never stopped playing Lufia II.

Yes that is true, though some things do impact me more now (For example when Guy tells Jessie he is leaving with Maxim, on DS i cried, on Snes it's not that emotional, but that difference is mostly because of who gets kidnapped)

I do think Iris is a whole lot better at being Iris here, then in II. Actually to the point where I keep thinking, what if they decided to make Iris and Erim two different persons, it sure looks like it. While in II there always was something fishy about her, you just couldn´t quite grasp exactly what was wrong with her.

Maybe it´s just me and i´m just completely sucked into it, but it feels to me some things happen way to fast. The whole wedding just felt like:
Maxim: Hi I am Maxim
Selan: Hi I am Selan, let's get married
Maxim: Sure why not.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Oh I also suggest finishing the game at least twice because of the New Game + mode. Don't know if you already know about the changes if you replay the game.

The part where the president tries to get Guy to join the army, and says he has to join because of Selan and might even find love on the battlefield etc etc, made me laugh a bit.
Since on my first playthrough of Lufia II, I was for Selan x Guy after Maxim said Guy had to fight with Selan at the clowns boss fight.
Until a little while later I suddenly remembered: "Hey wait a minute! Guy already has Jessy! Never mind Guy x Selan!"

So for me that was one of the scenes that was better because I played Lufia II =P

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Return to “New Members”