Japan leaves the US: They're sick of us.

General gaming discussions. However, discussions about Lufia, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Zelda should be posted in the dedicated forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DarkMaster2101
Arek's Apprentice

Japan leaves the US: They're sick of us.

Postby DarkMaster2101 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 am

Europe, I understand that most of the games you like are American ports of JRPG's unreleased in your region.

And since I'm one of the few Americans who browse this forum, I think I should bring this to your attention.

Japan is going to withdraw from the US market, and possibly the rest of the world. This is due to a variety of factors but I think this article from 1up will explain better than I can.

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-ga ... aking-west

1up wrote:Japanese game development did run into trouble during this console generation, but their issues are so removed from the average gamer's experience (workforce and labor management) as to be meaningless. The games themselves are as good as they've ever been, but they're just not made for the entire world anymore.

I think because our AAA titles are focused on PC type games, the Japanese market virtually died here in the US. Also, Japan hates western games. There was a representative that threw down the controller to Bioshock and said the game was cheap.

In other words, Japan hates our new games and their games don't sell here anymore.

I think the 3DS is the last new game system I'm going to buy. I probably won't buy the Wii U until I have the tools to hack it.

Besides, I think indy developers are going to fulfill the gap of unique games when Japan leaves us. Downside: no more new Lufia games from Japan.

Well, this isn't going to get easier. We're just going to have to wait a few decades before Japan and the US opens their doors to each other again. Europe finally got a whiff of Japanese games but you guys might be screwed too.

Who knows, maybe Estpolis and Lufia will become two separate IP's instead of one. If that's the case then I want to know what you think will happen to the series.
---DarkMaster2101

"Nonsense was beginning!"

Return to “General Gaming”