Whose dumb idea was this?! =P ( Savepoints in Lufia RoL )

Talk about anything related to the Lufia series, and ask for gameplay tips.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Whose dumb idea was this?! =P ( Savepoints in Lufia RoL )

Postby SinReVi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

What idiot thought it was a good idea not to include any savepoints inside dungeons in Lufia the Ruins of Lore? Grr!

And the reason I'm complaining about this, is because my game deletes the quicksave file now and then. And that "now and then" is happening more often now it seems.
Actually I think sometimes it just doesn't save at all, when it happens. What I mean is that I've had a few times that after quick-saving, there is no quick-save file at all when I check the load screen afterward, without turning off the system in the meantime. The normal savefile has never been deleted so far.

I guess I just played this game too much =P Bought it new in may 2003, though I haven't played it very often in recent years.

I think the dungeons take a bit long to go through in one play session:

- Harder to avoid battles with monsters:
Lufia II and TLR's monsters walk in different kinds of patterns and you can temporary freeze their movements.
But in Lufia RoL... well, most monsters just walk right into your direction when you're near, making them harder to avoid. You can't freeze them on the map unless you learn the Tear Gas skill.

- Battle animations are on the slow side IMO (especially when compared to other RPGs)

- Then you have to defeat a boss which also takes some time

- And then survive till you reach the exit of the dungeon.

- And of course, even without the battles, you have to walk through the dungeon itself and solving puzzles etc =P
Last edited by SinReVi on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing spelling error
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Dekar The Great
Knight

Re: Whose dumb idea was this?! =P ( Savepoints in Lufia RoL

Postby Dekar The Great » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm glad someone else feels my pain. There is only so many times I can die to that Parasite thing in that big worm thing's stomach... and then having to go through that awful dungeon again.

Maybe one of these days I will FINALLY beat that game.
Lufia V: For the Savior Demo 2.2 and Welcome to Ostiaka Out Now!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm

And another dumb idea in Lufia RoL : Disabling quick-save in the Ancient Cave!

You can't get out without having Providence. This item is more common on the lower floors, while it's pretty rare later on.
And I don't feel like starting on floor 1 every single time just to be sure that I have a Providence so that I can get the heck out of the cave right after I defeat a hard boss that's (for example) somewhere around floor 50.

One time, I just didn't get a Providence at all, and then the light of my gba sp turned red (and I wasn't home, so I didn't have a recharger) o_0 And then I couldn't even save because the quick-save was disabled.
(In the end, Eldin ended up confused in a battle and then he killed himself =P )

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

I'm currently on vacation in South Africa, and I brought Lufia: RoL along in the hopes to finally beat it... but I just couldn't bring myself to play it. I also brought Rune Factory (another game I had never really been able to get into) and finally beat that. I think the issue with Rune Factory is how SLOWWW the beginning of the game was. In the end, I think the game was alright, but I can't help but think that if the game were just straight dungeons, it would be so much more fun. Anyways, I'm heading back to the states today to get ready to go back to college. (we are flying to Amsterdam first! So I'll be somewhat close :ppp) Anyways, thinking about ordering RF 2 + 3 since I already have Tides and Frontier.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:53 pm

I was planning on buying a second copy of Lufia RoL if I see one for cheap, so I can test out the multiplayer function =P but with that failing quick-save file I guess I'll have to look for yet another copy XD

-

Though RF2 and RF3 are improvements over the first one, I think the dungeons for RF2 and RF3 were downgraded.
RF3's dungeons are more like areas that just happen to have monsters in them. Except the dungeon with the final boss in it.
However, RF3 also has a randomized bonus dungeon, it sorta plays like the Ancient Cave of Lufia DS except you don't have to drop your levels and items. I haven't finished that dungeon yet because I'm stucked at one of the bosses there (that annoying siren/mermaid boss from RF1 returns as a boss there. I'm not sure, but I think all RF1 and RF2 bosses are in this dungeon)

Also, if you don't like a slow start... I guess you can count Rune Factory 2 as a slow start since most parts of the dungeons are closed off for the "first generation" of the game. And you won't get access to making items (forge/kitchen etc) until second generation too. Rune Factory 3 doesn't have a slow start like that.

(we are flying to Amsterdam first! So I'll be somewhat close :ppp)

So I take it you're going to the Schiphol airport?

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Dekar The Great
Knight

Postby Dekar The Great » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 pm

UGH. I hated that Siren so much.

But yes, we went to Shipol or whatever =P, but I'm back in the US now, transferring Lufia V over to my laptop sometime today so I can keep working on it when I head back to college.

Return to “Lufia Discussion and Help”