Cut Off

Online roleplaying takes place in this board. No out-of-character posts are allowed here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Re: Cut Off

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Jake heard the air whistling in his ears as he narrowly dodged a slash from his own sword. He raised his staff horizontally to block the man's follow-up attack, and the steel hit the wood. Fearful his weapon might snap in two, he spinned out of the short blade's reach and counter-attacked, hitting the man in the same spot in the side as before. As the man winced in pain, Jake closed his eyes and started casting. Holding his staff vertically once more, he mumbled an incantation, focussing his mind on the spell and not the possible danger of his enemy standing up and- no, keep focussed... as he reached the last syllable he opened his eyes, a white circle around him. He pointed the head of his staff towards the sword. "Fake!"

The man cried out in shock as the sword started making spastic movements on its own. He placed his other hand on the hilt, trying to keep it under control. For a moment, he seemed to have succeeded: the sword stayed in position, shaking slightly. Then with a great lurch, it slipped out of his hands at Jake's feet, where it started bouncing up and down in all directions. Jake chased after it, hit it in the air with the staff, dropped the staff and caught the sword in his right hand. It's one of my favourite tricks really... with a very simple secret: you let the tool be the master. You just give suggestions. He let his whole body following the twitches of the sword, and for a few seconds he was twirling about in an absurd dance. The man, meanwhile, had run of to the side of the ship and was climbing over the railing...
The blade caught him. In a split second, Jake was at his side. His sword was at the man's neck, apparently thirsty for blood, and in one clean sweep he decapitated him.

At once, the sword stood still and lay loosely in Jake's hand. The severed head flew off the railing into the sea. There were screams of horror around him. For a moment, blood spurted from the neck. A second later, it became water, and the whole body melted away, along with the clothes. Jake's eyes became wide, as even the sword melted from his hand. "No.... NO! You bar steward!" He pounded the floor in frustration as his gear disappeared.
The fluid gathered together in an increasingly thick puddle, then evaporated. The vapour in turn became a translucent white mist in the shape of a human. A low, monotone voice spoke, "You... break rules."
"You already submerged! You bar steward! That was my stuff!"
The misty figured shrugged. "You don't submerge. Not your stuff."
Jake turned around to see if Adeline was around. She wasn't. "Where is the cup?"
"You break rules. Why-"
"Where's the cup! Did you have it with you? If that's lost too..."
"You play no fair."
With a groan of frustration, Jake bolted up. "Never mind. I'm done with you. Frost!" Jake pointed at the mist, and a chilling wind blew, scattering the mist apart.
Jake turned around, and ran to the other side of the ship, scooping up his staff as he went. He saw Adeline in combat with a woman. She has a very solid face... either that's a human, or she's absorbed a lot of souls. This could be tough.
He pointed his index finger forward. "Dew." A droplet of water appeared. It clung to his finger for a second, then fell to the ground with a loud POP. All was still, and then two jets of water appeared from where the droplet had fallen and crashed into the woman, knocking her off-balance and open to attack...

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:54 am

The woman was breathing hard after Adeline's attack, but she still kept fighting fiercely. Adeline's armor blocked most of the blows, but a few hit a little harder than she'd bargained for. She tried to knock the other woman away again unsuccessfully, and then suddenly, from out of nowhere, two pillars of water rolled into the strange woman from off to the side - Adeline looked quickly and saw Jake standing there, which caused her to grin and turn back to the woman, who had lost her balance due to the magic attack.
"Okay, I'm done playing...", Adeline said, taking her handaxe from the loop on her belt and swinging it at the woman, hitting her left shoulder, the blade of the axe cutting deep enough to hit bone. Instantly, the woman's arm went limp, and she cried in alarm.
"Aiiii...! No good, no good! You want a fight with weapons? You get it!" Suddenly, the woman had a whip and lashed out at her, prompting Adeline to duck and roll to the side.
'If this woman really thinks she can win with one arm-'

A second later, the whip hit Adeline on the arm and she winced. The sharp wire of the whip cut through her shirt and through the skin underneath, leaving a smarting gash. But the fighter answered the attack in kind: stepping forward, she startled the woman, and she threw her shoulder full against her opponent's wounded side, knocking her away and causing her to lose her footing. Then, with a precision swing, she incapacitated the woman's other arm: another deep cut from her axe, right above the woman's elbow this time, got another cry of pain, with the whip dropping from a shaking hand. As the woman staggered back to the side, Adeline quickly slung her axe back onto her belt and then strode after the woman, grabbing hold of her injured shoulder and squeezing it hard.
"Now hand my friend back what is his!!"
"Isn't his!", the woman said, but Adeline shook her head.
"I don't play by your rules - if you didn't buy it from him, it's not yours. Now hand it back, whatever it is you have of his!!"
Strongest Duelist in the world! *cue music*

The second thing I'm best at is writing! Hah, check it out!

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Jake gasped. "Adeline, no!"
The woman glared at her. "I know you don't know rules of us. But he-" she pointed at Jake- "Should know better! HE SHOULD OBEY RULES!"
She opened her mouth wide and let out an ear-splitting shriek. It lasted for ten seconds, and all on the ship covered their ears. Something beneath her skin appeared to be throbbing: bubbles formed all over her body, moving about. Her body seemed to become as human-coloured gas, and her clothes fell to the ground. Her whip fell from her hand, landing softly on the clothes until it melted over theme and dissolved on its own.
"Matar aren't keen talkers,"Jake said to Adeline. "There's no use in trying to interrogate them: they'll just realize they're in trouble. And then stuff like this happens."
The woman's face was blurry, its features hard to make out. Jake started casting. "Fla-" but she lifted up her foggy hand, and a jet of water shot at Jake, who was knocked off his feet.
"Ugh,,. Adeline!" he shouted, his head spinning. "You need to buy me some time!"

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Adeline watched in horror as the woman she'd been fighting suddenly shrieked loudly for ten agonizing seconds. She had to clap her hands over her ears, her head hurting from the shrill noise - and as she looked at the woman again, she saw her form was... dissolving. There was no other word for it: she was gaseous, her clothing laying in a heap below her blurry, hazy form and her whip melting away. When Jake tried to cast something, the woman did so without even speaking - 'can she even still speak?', Adeline wondered - and a burst of water hit her friend, sending him reeling and prompting him to shout at her to buy him some time.
"Okay...", she said hesitantly, wondering what she could do - the woman's form didn't look at all solid anymore, rendering any attack she could think of useless. Unless... unless...
With a soft grin, Adeline pulled out a small translucent orb from her pocket and shouted at the woman-turned-vapor.
"Hey, water-weird, catch this!!" The orb, of course, sailed through the misty form of what used to be the woman's body and shattered, and instantly a light blue shimmering cloud of paralyzing agent rose from it, surrounding the blurred form and stunning it.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:35 pm

Jake beamed. "Brilliant!"
He reached inside his pocket and withdrew the light-blue tomb. His legs too shaky to stand up, he placed the book in front of him and, on his knees, flicked through the pages, muttering words. The figure floated above them, shaking in its place but otherwise immovable. All was silent save for Jake's muttering, and the frightened hustle of the few people who had not run away below-deck, watching in suspense. When Jake turned the page halfway through, a light-blue circle appeared around him, illuminating his face. The pages started flicking on their own, as if the book was reading itself. He raised his hands, and his dropped staff flew into them. He held it in front of him, and as the book reached its final page, he said in a loud and deep voice, "Blizzard."
A rush of wind sounded, obeying his command. The ship's movements became wilder as frigid winds started blowing in all directions from the woman. They created white lines, which danced around, crisscrossing each other and tearing into the woman. Snow appeared around her body, circling around her and growing thicker and thicker until she was invisible, and then the wind and snow parted. The woman's body spread apart like the man had, and a warm breeze blew past them and disappeared, and all was back to normal.

Jake sighed. "Whew. We made it."
He reached for the clothes the Matar had dropped. There was the eastern dress, a shawl, two hairpins, a smooth pair of tights and a some white undergarments. He searched the clothes for any items, but found no pockets or bags. He cursed softly. "It's gone... Of course, they went hunting separately. He submerged, she didn't. All my stuff... it's lost."

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:39 am

When Jake started to read from the tome, kneeling down, Adeline looked at him in wonder - which then turned to worry as the book started to turn its own pages.
'W-what the-'
When the wind picked up - an uncommonly cold wind - the ship started rolling vehemently, prompting Adeline to groan and sink to her knees as well, feeling slightly queasy. However, she was transfixed by the sight of the inhuman woman, who was now being blasted by the harsh and icy gales. The female fighter drew her arms around herself and shivered, wincing as she felt the cut that the woman's whip had made but too transfixed by the spell that Jake had cast to reach into her satchel and take out a potion. Snow and ice started to form around the stunned, vapor-body of the woman, obscuring it, and then, when the snow disappeared, the woman was gone too. Adeline stood by as Jake searched the woman's belongings, clearly hunting out his stuff... but she heard what he said and she groaned when he reached the inevitable conclusion.
"Aw man... he submerged? Well, damn... I still don't understand how that works - how them submerging means the items are theirs forever, I mean, but... damn it, that's harsh. ...What are you going to do now? I mean, you can't... hunt them down any further, right?" Sighing, she looked at the horizon, seeing the island they were heading for rapidly approaching, meaning she was close to Gruberik and the Ancient Cave, her goal.

'Aw hell, why not... I mean, he's pretty great with magic, which I suck at, and if he goes into the Ancient Cave alone, he might end up getting kicked out of there empty-handed. And he doesn't have to know the exact reason why I'm hunting for the Iris treasures...'

"...Hey, look, if you want, you can... come with me into the Ancient Cave - you were planning to go there anyway, right? I'm going hunting for the Iris treasures that are buried in there, but there's rumors about all sorts of dizzying, powerful items inside the dungeon that anyone lucky enough to find them can keep. Maybe you can... find some stuff in there that'll help you? The Ancient Cave's a weird place - weird enough to hold some pretty sweet weapons and armor, if that's what you lost to those... things... And you can compensate me for paying those clothes of yours!", she added with a grin, winking at him.

She walked back to the sailor of Jyad's that had accompanied them onto the ship, smiling generously at the man.
"Hey, we'll stay on this ship to make sure trouble doesn't visit it again. Tell Jyad thanks for his help in making it here so quickly - tell him he can expect one hell of a payment when I get back to Aleyn!" The sailor rolled his eyes but didn't comment, moving back across the plank to relate what had happened to his boss.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 am

"Nope, this must be it... if there were any more of them, they'd have come out to fight or run by now." Jake spat on the floor. "Well, my whole reason for visiting the Ancient Cave has just melted away, literally. But..." he shrugged. "Since we're here, we might as well go in there and look for some shiny stuff."
He picked up the woman's clothes. "Well, I'm guessing a few people just got their souls back, including the owner of these clothes. Best leave these at the lost and found of this ship."

That evening, they raised a glass at the Matar's defeat at the pub, having decided to stay the night in the inn next door. "Another one I owe you for," Jake commented. "I suppose I'll be digging up a lot of those Iris treasures before we're even."
He took a sip of his cider. "So, what is it about these treasures that interests you, anyway?"

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 pm

As Jake toasted that evening at the pub, claiming he owed her for another thing and that he'd have to dig up a lot of the Iris treasures before they were even, Adeline laughed softly - which still caused some people in the pub to look at her.
"Hah, well, anything that gets me those treasures is fine by me, Jake!" She grinned as he sipped his cider, drinking a little less sparingly from her own and grinning at the slightly bitter taste. Then, however, her new friend asked her why she wanted to find the treasures, and she blushed.
"Oh, uh, well... it's the recognition I'm after. Getting the Iris treasures is kind of the dream for every self-respecting adventurer: no one that entered the Ancient Cave has ever found even one of them. So getting all of them? That's bound to get me a reputation as the greatest damn female fighter to walk these fine lands... and, well... uhm... get noticed."

'Yeah, get noticed... by the right guy...'

"A-anyway, you never mentioned what they stole of yours that made your reason for visiting the Ancient Cave melt away.", she added quickly, sipping her cider again. "...Sounds like an exciting story - and just like you, I like a good story too, ya know."

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am

Jake chuckled. "Looking for attention, are we? You're just like my little brother."
The conversation fell silent for a moment. He looked around. The room they were in was a small one: they had chosen to sit here, where it was less rowdy than upstairs, from which the loud boasting of treasure hunters could be heard. The barman was chatting with an old man, and a party of four sat at the table next to them. The décor was simple: brown walls, a brown bar with brown tables and chairs and two brown flights of stairs. He smiled at the noise of dogs with bigger barks than bites above. He'd found a pretty good companion.

"A-anyway," Adeline said, "You never mentioned what they stole of yours that made your reason for visiting the Ancient Cave melt away."
Jake nodded. "You didn't think the reason I was freaking out this morning was because they stole a few clothes, did you?"
He heard a bottle breaking upstairs, followed by laughter. He shook his head. "It's related to my brother, actually. He's a magic user, a much better one than I am. He's travelling, like me, and our paths crossed a few times. He was interested in a technique I'm creating, magic infusion. That's a long story. The short version is, mages say I'm not good enough to be a mage, and I'm bored with ordinary swordplay. So, I'm teaching myself to combine the two."

He heard sounds of shouting. From the sound of it, a fight had broken out upstairs, and bystanders were cheering them on. "Anyway. A few weeks back, my brother gave me the best birthday present ever. A goblet of Runa, which can carry magic spells." He's eyes started glowing. "Think of it. My brother casts a mighty spell and stores it in the cup. Gives it to me. I can use it once whenever I want. Pretty amazing, isn't it? It's some legendary trinket or whatever. Extremely rare, valuable beyond price, and the sort of thing you- don't- want a bloody Matar to steal from you. Anyway, I played around with it, and I found out I can only control the spell if it was mine. But then there's the Ancient Cave. You apparently forget your magic there, somehow. And the lower you get, the more your body allows you to learn powerful spells that would normally take years to learn. So here's the thing. The goblet can be carried into the Ancient Cave, unlike most objects. So what if I learn the most amazing spell ever, store it in the cup, then take it back outside where I can control it? And fuse it with an awesome sword?"
He sighed. "Well... that was the idea, anyway. When my brother finds out I lost it... and to a Matar of all things... and right before I reached the Cave, no less." He drained his glass. "Still, I bet the Cave'll be worth it. I mean, apparently you lose your magic and all your experience as a fighter. How does that even happen? And how does it feel? That must be an experience worth having."

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Adeline listened as Jake spoke, though the sounds of raucous laughter and fighting overhead distracted her at times. He spoke of his brother being a mage just like him - though better; of being bored with 'ordinary' swordplay, and of combining it with magic in something he called 'magic infusion', the concept of which was easy enough for Adeline to wrap her head around but the implications of which were a little too much for her mind. But the story that had her forgetting that there was a fight upstairs was the one about the cup. Apparently it had been one-of-a-kind and legendary, making his defeat at losing it all the more understandable, and his drive to find it all the more reasonable.

'...But there's something he isn't telling me... He talks about this 'most awesome spell ever' but which one does he mean? And fuse it into a sword to do what, become the greatest fighter ever? ...Yeah, good luck with that, Jake.'

"...Well, your brother, hasn't he ever been tricked, or hoodwinked, or caught unawares? I mean, he can't be that good a mage that he goes without sleep, right? ...Oh, but you're right about the Ancient Cave, though, it saps your experience right out of you as you head inside. It's part of the mystery - but it doesn't scare me, not in the slightest! I can take anything!", she said proudly. "I'm the strongest of the Tanbel militia - well, not counting our trainer, of course, but that's just an unfair comparison - and I even managed to show the guys in the Bound army just how 'helpless and frail' a woman like me is! 'Strongest army in the world', yeah, right.", she said with a snort. "The only one that makes 'em worthy of the title-"

Right at that moment, the sounds of fighting and cheering from overhead increased again, and Adeline chuckled, considering going up there to see what the commotion was. "...Hey, Jake, want to go see who's beating up who up there? Bet you another cider I can wipe the floor with either one of 'em."

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am

"Yeah, well, thing is, the Goblet wasn't so much as a birthday present as much as a... temporary... borrowed item. Which he in turn borrowed from a sage who taught him. Which he someday is going to be needing back."
Jake scratched his head. "So, unless a last-minute solution that will conveniently present itself, my brother might not be that pleased with me."
They were silent for a moment, then Adeline said, "You're right about the Ancient Cave, though, it saps your experience right out of you as you head inside. It's part of the mystery."
Jake nodded. "Yeah, but how does that feel like? Do we forget our training? If so, what else do we forget? Or do our muscles get weaker?"

He snickered at her boast of strength. "Frail woman eh? Just who said that?"
He rested his chin on his hand. "Why do you feel such a need to prove yourself? So what if you became the strongest? What would you do then?" He pointed his thumb at the people fighting. "Sure, we'll go up there and beat up a few drunk idiots. But what will that earn you?"
He stood up, beckoned her and walked up the stairs. "Here we go. Show me."

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 pm

"...Ouch...", Adeline admitted as Jake mentioned that the goblet he'd gotten was actually more of a borrowed item. "Yeah, your brother is probably going to cast a spell that gives you eternally greasy hair. Or better yet, bright pink hair! ...Heh, bet that'd make your curls look cute. Fluffy pink curls.", she said, snorting when he commented about the Ancient Cave and the way it would weaken them. She'd heard a lot of stories and speculation about what the reason was, but the most simple of all of them was the one she reiterated to her new travelling companion now. "...I guess we'll have to see for ourselves what it does, and leave the 'how' and the 'why' up to the guys with the bright minds, like your brother, or like the professor that lives due east somewhere."

As Jake commented about someone thinking her frail, wondering who had said that, Adeline grinned and stopped mid-stride for a second. "Hehe, well, while I was in Bound, some soldiers thought that a few extra curves on my body meant that I couldn't fight. One of them got his nose broken in four punches - still say I could've managed it in two if his colleague hadn't kept me up half the night before that... but let's not talk about that, huh? Let's go mop up some drunk idiots! And what it earns me? A good fight, my dear Jake, is its own reward! I might teach those guys a little lesson or two about when to put the tankard down..." They arrived at the top of the staircase, finding a beaten up man wearing a chestplate standing at one end of the room, being held back by a couple of the bystanders, while at the other side a man with a bleeding fist and a sword dangling by his side stood and jeered at the other man, his speech slurred. Adeline grinned and walked up to the man.
"Hey, brother, I think you need to stop hitting the barrels so hard... might end you up with a real headache..." He drawled out something else that sounded like 'damn wench' and Adeline shook her head. "Now, is that the way you talk to any respectable fighter? ...Bah, beating you up isn't going to be anything but pitiful, I'm going to see how your friend over there is doing, maybe he isn't too badly bludgeoned or too sauced up for a good honest fight..." She turned her back to him and stepped away, only to feel the man's hand on her shoulder. Instinctively, she ducked low under his obvious wide right hook, planting her own fist in his stomach and then kicking his legs out from under him, causing the man to first fall to the floor and only then heave up the sweet-smelling contents of his stomach. Grinning, she shook her head and moved back to Jake, patting him on the shoulder. "...Well, it wasn't a good fight, but it was... ...okay, yeah, that still sucked. Damn drunks, why do they have to drink themselves silly...", she ground out, shaking her head. Jake's words from before had gotten her a little morose, and she turned to him with another sigh. "...I'm the only woman in the Tanbel militia - hell, barring one or two exceptions, I'm the only woman that's learnt how to fight, period. All I've ever known is the militia. People tellin' me I fit in because they fit me in, that smarts... and maybe that's why I always throw punches around, you know? And after my visit to Bound and meeting-"

'Wait, hold on, Adey! Jake doesn't need to know why you're in all of this! He's nice and all, but do you really think he'll understand that oh yeah, you're going on this crazy quest for the Iris treasures of legend because you want to impress this extraordinary man you met and talked to for all of five minutes nearly half a year ago?!'

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:20 pm

(OOC: Sorry at the long-ass post and the hasty timeskips, I just can't wait to get started on this. It's going to be so awesome! D'you have a rom ready and all?

Jake winced at the senseless violence.
When Adeline returned, he shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat."
They exited the pub and stood outside for a moment, watching the crescent moon reflected on the sea. "Let me ask you something. Aren't you sometimes afraid that one day, you'll wake up, take a look in the mirror and see an old woman who spent her life punching people? That's the thought I had after a year of training to be a soldier. I decided there was more to life. So I set out on this journey." He looked sideways at her. "You might want to start looking in that Cave for something more important to fight for."
He turned around, and entered the inn.

The next morning, after a quick breakfast, they set out for the Ancient Cave. As they entered, Jake remarked, "Huh. I expected it to be more... grand. It looks just like a regular cave."
Behind a counter, a man with a long brown beard and a bald head yet quite a young face beckoned them. He signed up their names and gave a basic explanation of the rules. Jake had already heard most of these. They walked up to a soldier to the right of the counter guarding a door. "I will keep you items here."
Jake nodded. "Fine, fine." He pulled off his cloth armour, and handed it to the soldier along with the staff and his book. He was once again in his sleeveless grey sleeping shirt, and the brown pair of pants Adeline had bought for him. The soldier placed these, and Adeline's belongings, in one of many boxes behind the counter. He then gave each of them a leather bag. Jake heard the tingling of glass as he took his. "Well," said the soldier, "You're set. Good luck! Make sure you keep physical contact when you step on the warp pad, or you'll enter different caves."
"Yeah yeah," said Jake impatiently. "Let's go!"
He pulled Adeline's arm into the room, and stepped onto the tile. With a flash of light, they were gone.

When the light dimmed, they were standing in a hallway, with stone tiles beneath their feet. Jake was about to say something, then saw a red treasure chest right in front of him. "Yoink!" Opening the chest, he retrieved a large red wooden boomerang. "Well, our first treasure. May there be more to come!"
In the corner, he saw a red jelly. "Well, let's see those fighting skills!" He ran at it, and did a wild karate chop on the monster. His hand bounced right off. "Oh... I guess I'm not used to fighting without a weapon..." Suddenly, the jelly leapt in the air on top of his face. With muffled noises of surprise, he tried to pull the monster off. Finally, with a great slurping sound, the jelly let go and fell on the floor. Jake jumped on it. "Take that, you-" He was cut short as the springy body of the jelly lifted him back up like a trampoline. He landed, and jumped again. "This is actually brilliant! Why's no one else ever thought about this?" Suddenly, the jelly gave way and blew up with a SPLAT.

Jake landed on the floor with a broad grin. "I'm never fighting jellies with a sword aga- TREASURE!"
He leapt at a second chest. Opening it, he discovered a scroll. He gasped as he read the engraved golden letters. He read the title in a whisper. "Fry..."

Shade-Duelist
Knight

Postby Shade-Duelist » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:07 pm

(OOC: no need to apologise, it's quite all right, getting right to the good stuff is fine by me! I owe you an apology too, for this lengthy part and the previous one. And yes, the rom is primed and ready! I'll enjoy playing with just Dekar and Artea, hehe. Never had the idea to do that before! You've given me a great idea to use for writing my fanfiction, too - make a rom with just Tia and Dekar and then play through the Ancient Cave a few times to get ideas for fight scenes...)

Adeline looked at Jake when he spoke, feeling horrified at his imagery.
"...Hey, I know that... I also want more out of life than just... punching guys in the face! I want the happy life too! But... well, I kind of..." 'Oh, just spit it out, Adeline, then, see whether he won't laugh at you for being such a fool!', she scolded herself, groaning and biting her tongue. "It's not easy, ya know, being plain and unremarkable in the looks department. The regular guys avoid me like the plague because I'm a woman and I know how to fight and kick their ass, and the fighters... well, the ones that don't matter just see an easy lay, and the one that matters doesn't even notice me, of course..." As Jake walked into the inn, she watched him go, leaning against the wall of the tavern for a moment longer before sighing. "...For the love of the Absolute, I know it's absolute madness what I'm doing, but I can't get him out of my head anymore... is that such a shame? Is going into the Ancient Cave trying to get him to finally notice me that bad? ...just you wait, once I have those Iris treasures, I'm going back to Bound, and then... oh, yeah, then..." Grinning faintly to herself, she entered the inn as well.

The next morning, Adeline couldn't eat her breakfast quickly enough: she was ready and raring to go into the Ancient Cave. Jake commented on how it looked like just any regular cave, but to the female fighter, the only thing that mattered was the tingle of adventure, beckoning her. The old man that explained the rules to them seemed to notice how distracted her thoughts had her and shook his head sympathetically, but she rolled her eyes and snorted, walking after Jake to the soldier guarding the door. He spoke about keeping their stuff: reluctantly, Adeline unbuckled her Tanbel militia-issue chestplate, arm- and leg-guards, hip armor and her right pauldron, handing them to the soldier along with her satchel with her items - three Regains, two Hi-potions, a Miracle for emergencies, two letters from one of her 'friends' in Bound, and the Hidora Rock Guy had once given her.
"Take good care of those, I expect 'em back!!", she said, walking back towards Jake who pulled her forward impatiently, towards the warp pad.
"Make sure you keep physical contact when you step on the warp pad, or you'll enter different caves.", the soldier said, only to get interrupted by Jake, who pulled her along as he set foot on the device, which flashed and blinded her.

When she opened her eyes again, she and Jake stood in a hallway, and her head buzzed while her body felt heavy and numb. She supposed it was the effects of the cave, but wasn't given much time to ponder it as Jake ran towards a treasure chest, getting the boomerang from within. Then, he saw a jelly and attacked it - that, at least, was something Adeline was on board with.
"Oh hell yeah!!", she said, grinning as she watched Jake take his first swing at the thing - and seeing his hand bounce right back. She snorted, only to have the jelly leap onto her friend's head, dousing his curly hair liberally with stinging ooze before leaping back off. Jake then attacked unorthodoxly and jumped onto the jelly, which bounced him into the air, and then again. As amusing as it was to see - and as amusing as it appeared to be to Jake, the jelly was clearly looking to absorb Jake, and so Adeline drove her fist into the jelly's springy form, exploding it with a squishy 'SPLAT' that caused the female fighter to grin as Jake landed gracefully and bounded over to a second treasure chest, finding a spell within it.
"Heh, you take that, Jake, buddy... Oh, goody!" She'd seen a flash of green from the corner of her eye and ran to catch up with the timid, cowardly newt that had taken the opportunity to run across the hallway away from her and her friend, finding no escape at the end of the hallway since the door was firmly closed still. "Hey, Jake, check this out!", she said, aiming a roundhouse kick at the overgrown lizard and clearly shattering something inside its body, since it went limp and shrivelled up instantly. "Aha! Heh, if we don't find something to eat in here, we can always eat some cooked lizard leg... good for the body and the mind! Or, uh, so it's said.", she said meekly. Looking around, she found nothing else of interest in the hallway and moved to the door near where the lizard had been. "Jake, looks like the only way is via here... I'll assume you said 'ladies first' and go right in, okay?", she said, throwing the door open and revealing a large open room with at least two red treasure chests in sight and a patch of mushrooms right in front of them that... "...Uh, do those have eyes?", she asked her comrade, taking a step towards the fungi.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Jake read the scroll with slight difficulty because of his hands trembling with excitement. But this is ancient elven magic! Surely I shouldn't be able to use that...
He looked up and noticed Adeline'd gone up ahead. He walked after her, and picked up the dead newt. "They're actually pretty edible, you know. Supposed to make you more alert."
His eyes darted back to the scroll. "You know, it usually takes weeks to learn a spell. I've never seen a spell written down so concisely..." he looked up at the moving mushrooms. "Adeline. Stand back. If this works..."

He put down his bag and the scroll. He brought his fingertips together, his eyes half-closed, and a white circle of light appeared around him. He copied the movements he'd memorized from the scroll, and spoke a line of ancient elven language. As he spoke, a white triangle appeared before him. At his hand gestures, the triangle filled itself with symbols. When it was complete, he drew his left hand backwards, and light started to gather above the triangle. The area around him grew darker as the symbols grew brighter. He felt a force growing in his left hand, a warm feeling that felt like it tapped his fingertips lightly. When the force had reached its peak, he thrust his hand forward. The light scattered in all directions, creating a blinding flash. When it dimmed, the triangle was gone, and the mushrooms had burst apart in tiny pieces.

Jake just stood there, his eyes wide. Finally, he said, "Well. Just hang back, Adeline. We just now became invincible."
Then suddenly, he felt out of breath. He doubled over, eyes watery. He groaned, and tried to take deep breaths. He recognized this feeling: it was the feeling he'd had after casting his first spell ever.
As the feeling wore off, he sighed. "Not that invincible. I guess that drained all my magic power in one go."
He walked over to the two chests, and opened them. "Well, that solves that problem!" Triumphantly, he held up a battle knife and a wooden staff. Offering Adeline the knife, he said, "You know, I just had an idea. I know I promised you all the Iris treasures we found. But how about we say for all other treasures, we say finders keepers?"

He peeked around the corner, and saw a staircase heading downwards. "Well, let's see what's down there!"

Return to “The Roleplay”