Undertale

General gaming discussions. However, discussions about Lufia, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and Zelda should be posted in the dedicated forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Undertale

Postby Guard Daos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Has anyone played this game? I bought it on Steam a few weeks ago, and it is amazing. Just amazing. If you like Lufia, you'll like Undertale. It takes the traditional RPG system and turns it on its head. In battle, you can battle enemies as normal, or you can choose to have a conversation with them, or laugh at their terrible puns, and they'll let you go. And it's for the first time in a long time that I played a game that really made me feel for the characters. It's hilarious, it's emotional, and sometimes it's creepy. But I think for me, the very best thing is that it does things that are genuinely unexpected. It seems like all games nowadays all use the same clichés. You can see every plot twists. This game actually knows how players think, and plays with that.

Has anyone else played it? If not, you can download and play the demo on the site. I fell in love with the game while playing the demo. If anyone has, let us now commence a conversation about how awesome it is! (Or not, if you think otherwise)

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Re: Undertale

Postby SinReVi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:29 am

I currently have it in my Steam wishlist though I didn't know there was a demo available =P
I think I added it to my wishlist after seeing that Sans put a huge pile of hotdogs on your head =P (idk why of all things that's what made me add it to my wishlist)
*knows what some of the characters look like + their names because some people I follow on Twitter are Undertale fans*
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:35 am

Haha yeah, Sans is awesome. I'd recommend trying the demo, you can just download it from the site as an exe without steam. And mind those twitter fans don't spoil anything for you. ;)

Terry93D
Villager

Postby Terry93D » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:47 am

I will get it if I ever get a better computer. Well, when I do. For now - as with Lufia, SaGa, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, etc. etc. - I enjoy the soundtrack.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:38 am

Ah yeah, the music's great as well! Which themes do you like?

Terry93D
Villager

Postby Terry93D » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:01 am

Bonetrousle - because you can't not like it, really - the Ruins theme - that piano! So beautiful. It was a big influence on a music piece I wrote for an RPG I'm working on - and Undertale, because, again, you can't not like it, and finally, Temmie Village. Huge fan of the Temmie Village theme. It's just so out of the ordinary - the human voice! As the main instruments! Brilliant. I probably need to listen to the soundtrack again, honestly - I've heard so many that it takes several listens for a soundtrack to really sink in.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 am

Haha, great choices! I suppose the ruins theme is another reason the demo made me fell in love with it. Bonetrousle is a great theme too, also because of the crazy battle it belongs to. And Temmie Village is indeed very much out of the ordinary. Not only the theme, but the whole village is very much out of place.

I badly want to discuss the game, haha. Someone play it!

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:34 pm

I've finally continued playing Persona 4 Golden (after a 1,5 month break because of Lufia DS), so for now Undertale can wait =P Unless Undertale is a short game.
*kept dying for 20 minutes at Napstablook in the demo*

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Have you tried doing something other than attacking him...?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 am

I already finished the demo =P

At first I didn't attack him (for maybe 15 minutes), then I lost my patience and tried killing him but he kept killing me before I could kill him.
(In the end I won by not killing him though.)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:27 pm

So what did you think of the demo?

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 pm

I enjoyed the dungeon gameplay and I like Toriel's battle music.
Guessing this game has alternate endings/scenes?
spoiler?I accidentally killed Toriel the first time. Then when playing the (end of the)demo a few days later again I got through the battle without killing her.

Also, Flowey's laugh makes me think he escaped from the Mushroom Forest from Tomba.(which is one of my favourite PS1 games =P)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aBa-iQSkxc (they should've just named that forest Flower Forest instead. Those flowers were far more memorable than the mushrooms)

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:11 pm

Did Flowey also give you the alternate reaction? (spoiler)Where he notices you reloaded your game. That's a mechanism that's expanded on a lot in the game: saving and loading is a part of the story. Genius, right?
And yes, the game has different endings. In fact, there are three different ways to play the game that give you a COMPLETELY different experience. The game isn't very long, but these three different ways of playing give the feeling of playing three different games that each give a new layer of depth to the characters and the world.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Guard Daos wrote:Did Flowey also give you the alternate reaction? (spoiler)Where he notices you reloaded your game. That's a mechanism that's expanded on a lot in the game: saving and loading is a part of the story. Genius, right?
And yes, the game has different endings. In fact, there are three different ways to play the game that give you a COMPLETELY different experience. The game isn't very long, but these three different ways of playing give the feeling of playing three different games that each give a new layer of depth to the characters and the world.

Yeah he did. That's probably the first time I've heard about saving/loading being used like that in a game. Interesting

~ OUT NOW! 2010

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah. Just wait till you play the rest of the game. They really cross the border between player and main character.

Return to “General Gaming”