Newbie in the house

Are you new to the forums? Come and introduce yourself here then!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rucah
Red Jelly

Newbie in the house

Postby Rucah » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:29 am

Heya,

I joined to ask some in-depth questions about the world of Estpolis' lore that might make good conversation (although I apologize if it's baby knowledge compared to some of you guys!) I was really interested with a lot of the information I saw on the blog. I'll ask my questions in the appropriate forums.

I've always been taken with the series, and have owned all of them at one point. I used to have SNES games in box, great condition, but, moved to New Zealand, and couldn't take everything with me. That was also during the recession, and I was running out of money. I'm working on getting them back, especially Lufia 2 SNES, but it's like $200 in box with manual now, so... ->(-_-)

These days, I only have Lufia: The Legend Returns, and it's the only one I've beaten fully. I've gotten a several hours into Lufia 1 and I've started 2, but, didn't want to beat 2 without having gone through number 1 first. Later, GBC was the only one I had, so it was the only one I was able to play.

I work on clay figures, and was working on a figure of the original Lufia that was made to be a blend of her original artwork (white dress with a red ribbon, and a tie only on one shoulder strap) and the in-game sprite (blue eyes instead of brown, hair is on the shoulder that the tie should be on, so I swapped them), but the fumes from the clay are actually toxic, so, I decided I'd have to start over when I find a more suitable material to work with. The figure was to go on a punch-style music boxthat played Lufia's theme from the SNES 1, with flowers that I assume the periphea were inspired by.
I may start the project up again, but, my attentions are elsewhere now, so, it may or may not happen. That, and I'll have to find something I liked as much as clay...

Sorry for the wall, but, I've found it can sometimes help to chitter a bit on forums where you're expected to introduce yourself.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Re: Newbie in the house

Postby Guard Daos » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool! Welcome to Lufia World!
I hope you continue with your claywork and post some pictures here! :)
So, in-depth questions. Go ahead, fire away!

Rucah
Red Jelly

Postby Rucah » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks! I'm poking around the place first, and the topics are very long sometimes, so, it might take me a while to explore them. However, if you'd like something immediate to talk about, I want to know about some translation differences (HUGE topic about that going on! Intimidating for a newbie.) What were the Sinistral's original names and titles? I mean, "Sinistral" is just an obvious pun on the English word "sinister", so, I've always been curious. I apologize if this is already documented somewhere, but, as I've said, topics are quite large. I'm working my way through them, but, so long as I was enjoying what I was reading, I'd offer you another member. 8)

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Never apologise for curiosity, my friend! It's one of the things of being human.
Well, the Sinistrals were originally called "Mad Gods", translated literally. They removed all references to religious themes in the translation, including removing crosses from churches and changing the priest from Lufia I into... I dunno, I always thought he looked like a waiter. Still do. A waiter for a pub that never gets any visitors who doesn't sell drinks but instead cures your diseases and allows you to save.
So... they changed that, because I guess the western world wasn't ready to... acknowledge that religion exists or something? I really can't follow the reason to remove it. But, there you have it.

Rucah
Red Jelly

Postby Rucah » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:38 am

Heh, I meant their first names of Amon, Daos, Erim, and Gades, but, it is interesting that they were called "Mad Gods." I did read that in the blog and in a translation topic, but, I'm still not sure if their individual names are a 1:1. Lufia's seems to be. I imagine they called her that because it's a cute name, and kind of pretty, and it's one letter removed from "Lucia". The Japanese really seem to like that name, as it pops up in a lot of games and things.

Honestly, Daos' name drives me nuts, because all I can think of is "... DAAAAAY-O. DAAA-AAY-AAY-O. Daylight come, and me want go home..."

That's cute, Delia.

Anyway, "Daos" has multiple meanings, but, I have no idea which one the translator may have meant. In Philipino, it means "completion", but, in Spanish, it means "damage". You'd think, out of the two, it'd be the Spanish, but, you know, the other one is kind of scary, too, in terms of what he is. It could also be related to "dei", which is the word for "god" in Latin.

"Gades" sometimes means "consort" in a few different languages, according to Google Translate. "Gad" means to cut, or spill blood, for a ceremonial purpose.

"Amon" has ties to all of the weird words used in early biblical texts, that really reminds me more of movies like The Beastmaster than anything. It's a name that means "skilled workman". It's common in cults to try and instigate "order from chaos", and that does require some force to produce. Doesn't not make sense, but, it's kind of a stretch...
It's also very close to "Ammon", and with the addition of the extra M, we get a tribe of Molech worshipers. Molech was a really big jerk, so, they were kind of bad news. Ironically, Molech is a god of destruction and death, while that's more of Gades role. *shrugs*

"Erim"- dunno, unless she's really from Ireland. Always sounded a lot like "Erin" to me, but, that doesn't make any sense.

Unfortunately, I know no Japanese, but, I'd be interested in knowing more about them. They've always peaked my curiosity.

Oh yes, Nintendo's censorship is most likely due to the idea and them losing money on a game that someone otherwise would have bought, but, "Oh no, it disagrees with my religion." So, they removed ALL religion, and ALL of anything else controversial that might put off buyers, for the sake of the largest target audience ever. It also would have been handy in avoiding lawsuits and bad press, I suppose.

Guard Daos
High God of the Lufians

Postby Guard Daos » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Ooh, that's a tougher one. I believe they were originally called Gades, Amon, Erin and Dios, but as for their meanings... I think we need a certain Lufia fanatic who knows this kind of thing.

Rucah
Red Jelly

Postby Rucah » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Ah, Dios is straight up "god" in Spanish, and I'm a little slow, so, I didn't immediately think of "Erinys" for Erim/Erin, despite all the hours I've put into Castlevania. Basically any ancient goddess figure worth mentioning in any culture will be a goddess of love and war, and, honestly, she plays that pretty well through the series

Still working on Gades. "Amon" sounds a bit like an older word I found that means terror, and also has an additional meaning of "idol", but, not quite there yet.

SinReVi
High God of the Lufians

Postby SinReVi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Aguro and Jerin were Agurosu/Aglos (I never know what to make of his Japanese name) and Jerina
if I remember correctly, Lufia means "to love" in old english, so that might be where they got her name from, seeing neverland has confirmed the theme of the Lufia games is love.

Titles: god of destruction, god of chaos, god of slaughter, god of fear.
English: Sinistral of Destruction, Sinistral of Chaos,Sinistral of Death,Sinistral of Terror
Daos got his title changed to fear in Curse of the Sinistrals (which always was his title in japanese)

Also for whatever reason Amon and Daos had their titles swapped in the English Fortress of Doom.
(Okay after a quick comparison of an English script and some Japanese version... Amon introduced himself as god of chaos, so the swap is definitely only in the English version)

I guess Daos/Dios kinda looks like deus which means god.

And Arek is called "the absolute god" instead of just "the absolute"
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW! 2010

Rucah
Red Jelly

Postby Rucah » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 am

Oh, I see. Thank you!

Artemis
Hero of the Lufians

Postby Artemis » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Erim's Japanese name actually is Eriinu. Kwhazit translated it into Eleene. The 'i' definitely is not short, so there's a good chance that you've always spelled her name wrong.

Rucah
Red Jelly

Postby Rucah » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 am

I can't find much about what Eriinu might mean. Mostly, I get "dog collar" from search engines. I found a few websites that list it as a female name, but, they don't have any meanings.

Due to how the Japanese just don't like consonants going together very much, and the complete lack of a differentiation of "L" and "R" sounds*, they may have been trying to say a version of "Helen". That's a very old name that has many different iterations. Japan LOVES the name Elaine/Elena; I see those in a lot of games. Those are essentially "Helen", too.

Just a thought.

*Don't get me wrong; English is as messed up a language as any other. Just saying. In the opening of Rune Factory 3, there's an English language vocal track that begins "Fly higher", but, the singer totally says "FRY higher"... I don't think they can even hear themselves doing it, to be honest.

Return to “New Members”